Alan Smith

tmonkey

NE5,

Allardyce was publicly very annoyed to lose both Dyer and Solano, as both made it very clear very late in the transfer window that they wanted to leave, and Allardyce didn't feel there was enough time to get a good enough replacement.

I'm sure he'll be trying to get a replacement at the first possible opportunity.

i remember him grinning like a cheshire cat when Dyer left, saying he'd unveil the replacement the next day, who turned out to be Alan Smith.

NE5,

Allardyce was publicly very annoyed to lose both Dyer and Solano, as both made it very clear very late in the transfer window that they wanted to leave, and Allardyce didn't feel there was enough time to get a good enough replacement.

I'm sure he'll be trying to get a replacement at the first possible opportunity.

Dyer went to West Ham for a medical in July and Allardyce said his replacement would be unveiled the next day, the day after we signed Smith.

NE5,

i remember him grinning like a cheshire cat when Dyer left, saying he'd unveil the replacement the next day, who turned out to be Alan Smith.

After one of our friendlies on Setanta iirc.

NE5,

After one of our friendlies on Setanta iirc.

yep, looked pleased with himself so i assumed he had someone special lined up. how wrong i was...

NE5,

Dyer went to West Ham for a medical in July and Allardyce said his replacement would be unveiled the next day, the day after we signed Smith.

He seemed to have changed his mind on that one after Solano went though, when he revealed that losing both Dyer and Solano seriously reduced the teams options on the right.

We can but hope Boro make another bid for him soon...maybe get Arca part-ex.

But does Arca graft, give 100% and play for the shirt?

If he doesn't then we don't want his sort here, we've had enough of these Laurent Robert fanny's who score and create goals on a regular basis but don't work hard.

Hmm... thought Smith played an important part in our (admittedly scrappy) first goal. I also thought we didn't win today due to piss poor defending especially on their second goal.

Agree though that Dyer (as a footballer) and Solano were not replaced last Summer. I don't know if Sam wanted them gone or not - I had the impression at the time that both of them moved because they wanted to not because we wanted them to.

Ignoring the agenda driven opinions, this is correct.

The whole balance of the team is wrong, I've been saying so for over 12 months, the sale of Solano and Dire - even though he disappeared down a big hole for many matches - has made it worse.

Somebody at the club decided not to replace Solano, and Dire with someone who actually plays. Was it Allardyce's decision, if so he wants shot. Or was it a financial decision by the club ? If it was, to balance the books, and if this is going to be their approach, stand by for real mediocrity. Those who prefer balancing the books will then have nothing to complain about.

This is a fairly basic point and it would be nice to know the answer.

Solano and Dire both wanted to go mate, for different reasons, but they did. One I was happy to see the back of, the other not so.

I've no agenda my friend - you're not a bit paranoid by any chance  :razz:

Theres that "negative bias" crap again. If anyone thinks Smith had a poor game or is an overrated/average player, then theyre being negatively biased, brainwashed by an agenda.

You couldnt make this up. I guess this same "negative bias" is the reason for everyone absolutely hating Woodgate when he was up here...

you read it wrong too, however there are a hell of a lot of whingers moaning on about playing in europe regularly over the past decade. Unless it's just because the fat b****** didn't leave you any his pies.

I expect that after today, you'll be happy if we don't spend money in january to keep the books straight then ? If so, don't whinge on when you see real mediocrity, or the current performance carries on either.

See my post in the Mort thread. Dont know where youve pulled this fat pie eating bastard rubbish from, but its pathetic to be making things up when you have no reply to give.

As for what we'll spend in January, ive no problem with Allardyce buying players. I do have a problem with Souness being given 40mill to spend whilst we are also in large debt with a poor squad that requires an overhall and European qualification to sustain its financial position. You realise dont you that because of that gamble failing, the Halls were desperate to get out and sell their shares to just about anyone who was offering? Surely something ticks in your head and you realise the risk Shepherd took with that - hmm, large debts, Souness lots to spend, failed, bad team, owners are desperate to sell. Its a damning indication of the position we were in that Ashley had to pay off a huge chunk of the debt from his own personal money (already a better chairman than Shepherd, who only ever took from the club).

Its patently obvious, that you have no idea whatsoever of the significance of having a board that is prepared to back its manager, whatever mistakes are made [which everybody makes] put against one that doesn't have the ambition to back their managers.

So, with that, I'll say it is pointless to debate this further with you.

I notice you have not continued your earlier hypocritical stance of saying the club should have spent money then criticised them for accruing debts. But I expected that.

NE5,

but but but,

he had the whole summer to assess their committment and worth to the club

Isn't that the difference between winning the league and finishing in a mediocre league position. I thought such "badly timed" things like this were solely the fault of Shepherd and Hall  :lol:

He could have made a "panic" signing like Sibierski too  mackems.gif

If he doesn't then we don't want his sort here, we've had enough of these Laurent Robert fanny's who score and create goals on a regular basis but don't work hard.

Cruyff, Pele, Maradona, Best etc etc were great players because they had talent and worked hard to make it count.

I'm very happy for you that you think Kieron Dire had application to succeed, despite being at the club for 8 years and convincing nobody but you that he had it  mackems.gif

NE5,

As you have said before. But as I also said before, I really don;t give a toss about your "opinion". Mine is that if the board has ambition, they will back the manager to try and qualify for europe asap, like the old board did.

I remember you saying how good Cacapa is, good job he isn't playing on the right of midfield eh ?

But, I'm not interested in your daft comments and opinions anyway.

NE5,

As you have said before. But as I also said before, I really don;t give a toss about your "opinion". Mine is that if the board has ambition, they will back the manager to try and qualify for europe asap, like the old board did.

I remember you saying how good Cacapa is, good job he isn't playing on the right of midfield eh ?

But, I'm not interested in your daft comments and opinions anyway.

That's funny because I remember you saying how composed Boumsong was on the ball and that he was better than you were expecting.

Isn't point scoring fun? mackems.gif

Cruyff, Pele, Maradona, Best etc etc were great players because they had talent and worked hard to make it count.

I'm very happy for you that you think Kieron Dire had application to succeed, despite being at the club for 8 years and convincing nobody but you that he had it  mackems.gif

Where as Alan Smith works hard but has little talent?

I'd take the Dyer's and Robert's of this World over the Smith's and Beattie's any day of the week.

Quotes on the official website from Allardyce saying that Smith is going to continue being captain over January, in other words he'll play every game. He's impressed with his 'tenacity', why not just play a dog?

Quotes on the official website from Allardyce saying that Smith is going to continue being captain over January, in other words he'll play every game. He's impressed with his 'tenacity', why not just play a dog?

Because a dog couldn't win a pen in the last minute of a game nor could it draw in 3 opposition defenders to give Viduka space?

Only a guess like...................

He is not the best granted.

But look at it realistically.

We are nothing more than a mid table club, along with the likes of Villa, W-Ham.

Pompey, Everton and Blackburn are all way ahead of us.

They have stuck with their managers, given them time to build a team.

When dire went who did people expect? Diego? Modric?

We need to get real. Yes , we have huge potential, a good fanbase but we have gone so far backwards since Robson! People need to be realistic! So many clubs have taken over us whilst we chopped, changed and allow nothing managers tear the heart out of the club.

Smith, a grafter yes. Probably the best we could attract at the time. We need to use what we have, get ourseves back up with the second tier boys. This won't happen overnight. It might take a few seasons, it needs good management, solid leadership and teamwork.

I know this rant is barely related to Smith but we need to be realistic. We are no longer the top 6 club people think we are.

Sad, but true..

viduka showed today why he should always play upfront instead of smith. he can do all smith can do and also score.

Why does Big Sam refuse to take Smith off, no matter how little hes doing?

He was utterly invisible today except for barking at the referee/linesman, even more so (if thats possible) when pushed back into midfield.

Its not an encouraging situation when a manager has untouchables in his team, less so when the player in question isnt exactly world class. Im sure other players arent going to be happy in private when they get taken off and Allardyce's favourite doesnt irrespective of performance.

Why does he keep playing Barton?

Why does he keep playing Smith?

Why take off But when he was the best central midfielder?

Why play players out of position?

Why spend £25m on rubbish?

Why keep playing Geremi?

Wnhy make GEremi captain?

Why pretend he's not long ball?

Why play a shitty formation?

So many questions, to which there is one answer - Allardyce is pathetic.

Guest battyleespeed

Aggressive, in-your-face type of character on the pitch

Exceptionally high level of fitness, non-stop pressing and covering

Determined to win

I figure Smith's main characteristics are the exact things that Allardyce is looking to inprint in the whole team, hence the continued use of him? Why sub him if he can keep up his aggressive pressing game for full match where as we might have other players who are getting tired? 6mil for proven and relatively young English Premiership player who is fairly versatile and has experience from the highest level with teams like Leeds and ManU. Looking at all factors I think we got him for fairly reasonable price. He is not the very best in positions we employ him but I think it was absolutely correct decision and shrewd business to "swap" Dyer for him who was reaching end of his better years and besides that carrying lot of baggage from the earlier years.

Btw, Merry Christmas all!

Because a dog couldn't win a pen in the last minute of a game nor could it draw in 3 opposition defenders to give Viduka space?

Draw in 3 defenders?! He fucking fell over man! mackems.gif

The defender then tried to clear it but Viduka took it off his boot and placed it in the bottom corner, you're either clutching at straws to convince yourself he's any good or you're completely fucking clueless, judging from your comment on how you would have Butt, Milner and Smith over Laurent Robert every day of the week pushes towards the latter.

It's people like you that bum the dross like Smith, Milner, Butt, Taylor etc because they give 100% and get stuck in yet go home scratching your head as to the reason why we're so fucking shit, you just don't get it do you? These players are not good enough if we've got any sort of ambition as a club and would struggle to get in the teams that are challenging for the Uefa cup let alone the top 4.

Clueless.

Where as Alan Smith works hard but has little talent?

I'd take the Dyer's and Robert's of this World over the Smith's and Beattie's any day of the week.

don't know where you have suddenly dragged Roberts name up from, or why ?

Nice to see you don't judge him as a right back, for instance  mackems.gif.

Your long range telescope must be faulty, as you are clearly looking at Kieron Dire through rose tinted specs, he's been a waste of space for the last 4 years, anyone who has watched the team play regularly could tell you that.

BTW, I'd take Craig Bellamy before all of them.

The defender then tried to clear it but Viduka took it off his boot and placed it in the bottom corner, you're either clutching at straws to convince yourself he's any good or you're completely fucking clueless, judging from your comment on how you would have Butt, Milner and Smith over Laurent Robert every day of the week pushes towards the latter.

It's people like you that bum the dross like Smith, Milner, Butt, Taylor etc because they give 100% and get stuck in yet go home scratching your head as to the reason why we're so fucking shit, you just don't get it do you? These players are not good enough if we've got any sort of ambition as a club and would struggle to get in the teams that are challenging for the Uefa cup let alone the top 4.

Clueless.

You're wasting your breath riches, Baggy doesn't understand the need to have players with some charater in your team he only appears to want these softies who are permanently injured or disappear down a black hole for 9 out of 10 games.

But he hasn't seen NUFC play very often, which may explain something.

Clueless.

You're wasting your breath riches, Baggy doesn't understand the need to have players with some charater in your team he only appears to want these softies who are permanently injured or disappear down a black hole for 9 out of 10 games.

But he hasn't seen NUFC play very often, which may explain something.

Speaking of not seeing them often, I noticed in your article in the Mag that you mentioned how we improved as a team against Blackburn, yet you were posting on your forum at the time the match was on talking to an Irish lad who was telling you what the game was like as he was watching it on the net. mackems.gif

He signed Smith & Barton & maybe the odd other one because when he was the opposition manager he obviously thought we lacked a bit of bite. We dad maybe a few who liked the bling rather than a battle in the squad.  Of couse it hasnt paid off on the pitch as well as what he hoped for as of yet.