Alan Smith

tmonkey

Hmm... thought Smith played an important part in our (admittedly scrappy) first goal. I also thought we didn't win today due to piss poor defending especially on their second goal.

Agree though that Dyer (as a footballer) and Solano were not replaced last Summer. I don't know if Sam wanted them gone or not - I had the impression at the time that both of them moved because they wanted to not because we wanted them to.

Ignoring the agenda driven opinions, this is correct.

The whole balance of the team is wrong, I've been saying so for over 12 months, the sale of Solano and Dire - even though he disappeared down a big hole for many matches - has made it worse.

Somebody at the club decided not to replace Solano, and Dire with someone who actually plays. Was it Allardyce's decision, if so he wants shot. Or was it a financial decision by the club ? If it was, to balance the books, and if this is going to be their approach, stand by for real mediocrity. Those who prefer balancing the books will then have nothing to complain about.

This is a fairly basic point and it would be nice to know the answer.

Solano and Dire both wanted to go mate, for different reasons, but they did. One I was happy to see the back of, the other not so.

I've no agenda my friend - you're not a bit paranoid by any chance  :razz:

Hmm... thought Smith played an important part in our (admittedly scrappy) first goal. I also thought we didn't win today due to piss poor defending especially on their second goal.

Agree though that Dyer (as a footballer) and Solano were not replaced last Summer. I don't know if Sam wanted them gone or not - I had the impression at the time that both of them moved because they wanted to not because we wanted them to.

The whole balance of the team is wrong, I've been saying so for over 12 months, the sale of Solano and Dire - even though he disappeared down a big hole for many matches - has made it worse.

Somebody at the club decided not to replace Solano, and Dire with someone who actually plays. Was it Allardyce's decision, if so he wants shot. Or was it a financial decision by the club ? If it was, to balance the books, and if this is going to be their approach, stand by for real mediocrity. Those who prefer balancing the books will then have nothing to complain about.

Solano and Dire both wanted to go mate, for different reasons, but they did. One I was happy to see the back of, the other not so.

Theres that "negative bias" crap again. If anyone thinks Smith had a poor game or is an overrated/average player, then theyre being negatively biased, brainwashed by an agenda.

You couldnt make this up. I guess this same "negative bias" is the reason for everyone absolutely hating Woodgate when he was up here...

no mate, I didn't mean you, I mean all those who are slating Alan Smith for not scoring a goal despite spending about 90% of the season playing in midfield and not up front.

Theres that "negative bias" crap again. If anyone thinks Smith had a poor game or is an overrated/average player, then theyre being negatively biased, brainwashed by an agenda.

You couldnt make this up. I guess this same "negative bias" is the reason for everyone absolutely hating Woodgate when he was up here...

you read it wrong too, however there are a hell of a lot of whingers moaning on about playing in europe regularly over the past decade. Unless it's just because the fat bastard didn't leave you any his pies.

I expect that after today, you'll be happy if we don't spend money in january to keep the books straight then ? If so, don't whinge on when you see real mediocrity, or the current performance carries on either.

Aye, we should just sack Allardyce and bring in Graeme Souness instead and allow him to spunk millions of the club's money on s****. That's obviously a better idea.

When Graeme SOuness was first appointed NE5 thought it was a good decision. Of course he would deny it now but someone sometimes ago did dig up NE5's old posts to prove it.

Hopefully the club will rehire Graeme Souness so that NE5 could go home gayfully.

Aye, we should just sack Allardyce and bring in Graeme Souness instead and allow him to spunk millions of the club's money on s****. That's obviously a better idea.

When Graeme SOuness was first appointed NE5 thought it was a good decision. Of course he would deny it now but someone sometimes ago did dig up NE5's old posts to prove it.

Hopefully the club will rehire Graeme Souness   so that NE5 could go home gayfully .

oh dear. I made hundreds of posts saying I didn't want Souness, and you were one of those who defended his sale of Bellamy and said we should give him the time to become the new Alex Ferguson.

You even want him back  mackems.gif

Do such words come easily to you BTW mackems.gif

you read it wrong too, however there are a hell of a lot of whingers moaning on about playing in europe regularly over the past decade. Unless it's just because the fat b****** didn't leave you any his pies.

I expect that after today, you'll be happy if we don't spend money in january to keep the books straight then ? If so, don't whinge on when you see real mediocrity, or the current performance carries on either.

See my post in the Mort thread. Dont know where youve pulled this fat pie eating bastard rubbish from, but its pathetic to be making things up when you have no reply to give.

As for what we'll spend in January, ive no problem with Allardyce buying players. I do have a problem with Souness being given 40mill to spend whilst we are also in large debt with a poor squad that requires an overhall and European qualification to sustain its financial position. You realise dont you that because of that gamble failing, the Halls were desperate to get out and sell their shares to just about anyone who was offering? Surely something ticks in your head and you realise the risk Shepherd took with that - hmm, large debts, Souness lots to spend, failed, bad team, owners are desperate to sell. Its a damning indication of the position we were in that Ashley had to pay off a huge chunk of the debt from his own personal money (already a better chairman than Shepherd, who only ever took from the club).

sorry, i'll rephrase that, who 'love' him and seem to give him more praise than say martins today

Smith was better than martins today.

Martins was fucking shit and looked to be in the huff in the first half when he couldn't be bothered to move his arse.

smith was fucking terrible, martins did far more in the 10 or 15 mins he went up front, and first half had a good early chance and a perfect flicked header cleared off the line from out on the wing. one time smith went to the far post for a chance, and TURNED HIS BACK TO THE GOAL. great goalscoring instinct that was. remember when Kluivert did that against someone and everyone criticised him for weeks after.

sorry, i'll rephrase that, who 'love' him and seem to give him more praise than say martins today

Martins was f****** s*** and looked to be in the huff in the first half when he couldn't be bothered to move his arse.

It's bizarre how people see things differently. I thought Oba had a good go at playing wide right today until we switched when Duff came on. As I saw it they had about 2 shots on target (the second one was a very poor goal to concede imo), scored both and that created a sh1t load of pressure.  We looked ok going forward for the most part - anyway scoring 2 at home against Derby should = 3 points.

Martins was f****** s*** and looked to be in the huff in the first half when he couldn't be bothered to move his arse.

What did Smith do that was good, seriously? Martins wasn't very good, but he did put a few crosses in from the right, had a header cleared off the line and got behind their defence once or twice (only to fuck it up admittedly, but still..)

What did Smith do that was good, seriously? Martins wasn't very good, but he did put a few crosses in from the right, had a header cleared off the line and got behind their defence once or twice (only to fuck it up admittedly, but still..)

Created the first goal for Viduka with his persistance and never say die attitude something that Martins sorely lacks along with a first touch and awareness of what goes on around him and desire to work for the team wherever he is asked.

What did Smith do that was good, seriously? Martins wasn't very good, but he did put a few crosses in from the right, had a header cleared off the line and got behind their defence once or twice (only to f*** it up admittedly, but still..)

Created the first goal for Viduka with his persistance and never say die attitude something that Martins sorely lacks along with a first touch and awareness of what goes on around him and desire to work for the team wherever he is asked.

Haha, you mean the first goal where he could have put a shot in, hesitated, turned away from goal, fell down, decided to sit on and handle the ball before it fluked out of his control and freakily fell into the path of Viduka, who did brilliantly to score from the most ugly build up play you could imagine? A genuine striker wouldn't have thought twice and would have smashed the ball when there was the opportunity to do so.

if smith created the first by lying on the ground and kicking so that it eventually spilled to viduka, then martins created the second by battling with moore and eventually getting the flick on.

Smith isn't a shit player, but he's generally been given a shit role that doesn't suit him or us. He isn't a midfielder but gets played there. He isn't a support striker (in a 4-3-3) as shown today, he's a centre forward and should be played there or not at all. I don't think its any coincidence that his best game for us was against Arsenal when he was the target man, he won just about every ball thrown up to him in the air and did lay it off well during that game.

I know Coach HTT has given excellent reasons why we should be playing 4-3-3, but to me, we've only got the players for a 4-4-2 at best so until the playing staff either learn or are changed we should go 4-4-2. Viduka or Smith, with Martins or Owen.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Smith has been utter shite from day one since we signed him, he hasn't scored a goal for two years ffs in the premiership .

Smith created the first?! mackems.gif

He took too long on the ball before falling over, the defender then tried to clear it and Viduka took it off his foot before putting it in the bottom corner.

Correct. I was screaming at him, something along the lines of "shoot, you're supposed to be a fucking striker" when suddenly a real striker picked the ball up.

Hopefully the club will rehire Graeme Souness so that NE5 could go home gayfully.

mackems.gif

NE5,

Allardyce was publicly very annoyed to lose both Dyer and Solano, as both made it very clear very late in the transfer window that they wanted to leave, and Allardyce didn't feel there was enough time to get a good enough replacement.

I'm sure he'll be trying to get a replacement at the first possible opportunity.