Alan Smith

tmonkey

Getting back to Smith though, nobody but nobody is disputing the effort he puts in. He works his socks off for the team and that's fair enough.

His talent is what is in question.

Which is being unfairly questioned due to it being based on him being used mainly out of position in midfield, as you know.

That's rubbish. He wasn't the greatest up-front for Leeds either imo.

Subbed for the first time after doing a decent job today at a point when he was starting to fade after the clash with Faye, so im happy with Big Sam on this issue.

More of it I hope, Smith is clearly a decent player but is far from someone who should be starting and finishing every game, especially with the options Big Sam currently has. Eg, thought Faye had a cracking game in the anchor role, as good an option if not better than Smith in central midfield.

Subbed for the first time after doing a decent job today at a point when he was starting to fade after the clash with Faye, so im happy with Big Sam on this issue.

More of it I hope, Smith is clearly a decent player but is far from someone who should be starting and finishing every game, especially with the options Big Sam currently has. Eg, thought Faye had a cracking game in the anchor role, as good an option if not better than Smith in central midfield.

yep.

Faye is ideal for the daddy role protecting an attacking/creative midfielder.

Agree. A total beast but also very good on the ball. Some of his work today was outstanding.

If only he wasn't our best CB as well... based on today's performance I'd happily see him in midfield protecting Taylor and Cacapa/Rozzy on a more regular basis. Might give Emre some freedom, or even just give Sam the confidence to play two wingers and two strikers every week.

If only he wasn't our best CB as well... based on today's performance I'd happily see him in midfield protecting Taylor and Cacapa/Rozzy on a more regular basis. Might give Emre some freedom, or even just give Sam the confidence to play two wingers and two strikers every week.

Someone really needs to get SA in a dark room with a sweet cup of hot cha and explain some shit to him.

It's ok playing Faye there so long as we get another centre-half who can attack the ball. Cacapa and Rozenhal are sweepers and Taylor is a liabilty imo.

Getting back to Smith though, nobody but nobody is disputing the effort he puts in. He works his socks off for the team and that's fair enough.

Which is being unfairly questioned due to it being based on him being used mainly out of position in midfield, as you know.

Course, I don't think I've ever said he's great. In fact, I don't think I've even said he's good. What I have said is that I think he has the attributes to play as a striker and that I'd like to see him given an extended run in that role because I think he may be decent.

Obviously you're replying to something in your imagination, but there you go.

It's ok playing Faye there so long as we get another centre-half who can attack the ball. Cacapa and Rozenhal are sweepers and Taylor is a liabilty imo.

Perhaps that's why Allardyce has been looking for a new CB, I don't think Brown is the answer though even though I rate him, he's more of a sweeper too.

Course, I don't think I've ever said he's great. In fact, I don't think I've even said he's good. What I have said is that I think he has the attributes to play as a striker and that I'd like to see him given an extended run in that role because I think he may be decent.

If you don't think he's good, we might as well play Ameobi. He also has the "attributes" to play as a striker, he's just not very good at it either...

If you don't think he's good, we might as well play Ameobi. He also has the "attributes" to play as a striker, he's just not very good at it either...

Is today bad at reading day, mate?

Where did I say that I didn't think he's good?

This is what I'm saying about Smith....

What I have said is that I think he has the attributes to play as a striker and that I'd like to see him given an extended run in that role because I think he may be decent.

That's your opinion. My opinion is he doesn't offer the same as Viduka, doesn't have the finishing skills of Owen, or the pace of Martins, so although he's decent, I don't see where he fits in the side to justify an extended run.

Yes, I understand your opinion and that's fine. Just so long as you finally understand mine....

Strange how everybody has gone quiet, and isn't blaming everything on the board anymore, urging the useless fat bastard to splash the cash. etc etc etc.

At least, now, they are essentially blaming the right people ie the players, and manager, at least for now, until we see what the board is really made of.  Shame they are blaming a player who is doing what many people criticised Craig Bellamy for NOT doing ie playing where the manager wanted him to, for the shirt, and getting on with it.

Perhaps Smith should be telling Allardyce what Bellamy told Souness ?

There's a huge difference between the two situations though. Bellamy should have been starting up-front with Kluivert or Shearer at that time, Smith shouldn't be playing in our side full-stop.

in your opinion.

In mine, they had different perspectives, but in their own way, did what they did for what they perceived as in the clubs best interests - so I've no problem with either of them. In fact certain players that most of us are glad to see the back of, should be put to shame by both of them.

I think Bellamy should have played with Shearer. I wouldn't have signed Kluivert, and said so before, and when, we brought him in.

There's a huge difference between the two situations though. Bellamy should have been starting up-front with Kluivert or Shearer at that time, Smith shouldn't be playing in our side full-stop.

Your judgement of Smith is based on him mainly being used out of position, of course. It's impossible for anybody to make a proper judgement of him as a striker because the simple fact of the matter is he's never yet played there for a long enough period of time. So you don't know and neither do I.

We'll find out who is right if/when he ever gets an extended run and not before.

Just like Luque.

Luque didn't play right midfield.

Dave I think the Smith who played for Leeds is a player worth having at the club, as a front player. Thats why I asked you if you had seen him for Leeds. As his attitude is spot on - unlike some players who we have kicked out of the club including Luque - the only thing stopping Smith from being the same player for us is if his injury has a long term detrimental effect on him. We won't know this until he has a run in his best position.

Unless its up front Smith shouldnt play, he offers nothing in midfield. How can Smith get any kinda of consistency when he is being played in a different position every week, how can the team gel when its being shuffled every week? SA needs to pick our strongest 11 and stick with it for a few weeks.

Unless its up front Smith shouldnt play, he offers nothing in midfield. How can Smith get any kinda of consistency when he is being played in a different position every week, how can the team gel when its being shuffled every week? SA needs to pick our strongest 11 and stick with it for a few weeks.

Spot on. The moaners won't be bothered about any of that though.