Alan Smith

tmonkey

Owen, Martins, Viduka would all be terrible in midfield

Smith is a forward who is fit enough and has the battling temprement to play midfield without the creativity. He has played 90% of his life with his back to goal, and in the last 3 seasons has been asked to change.

Get off his back, judge him when he is playing up front in his proper position

I will judge him where his manager plays him thank you very much. By now it is pretty clear Sam thinks of him as a versatile player and is perfectly happy to play him as a defensive midfielder. He is our captain, if that position doesn't suit him or doesn''t benefit the team he should be voicing his opinion about it.

Souness saw Craig Bellamy as a wide player [well, he didn't really, but he was just looking for an excuse to cause a situation to kick him out of the club]. Bellamy was criticised by numerous people for voicing his opinion, for the good of the team in his view.

Smith is playing where the manager wants him to play, for the good of the club, in the way he sees it.

Different scenarios, but both those players had the best interests of the club at heart.

But did you judge Bellamy as a wide player or a support striker ?

Fact is, Smith is playing where he is because we are short of midfield players and getting on with it. Nobody is saying he's particularly good there, because we can see that he isn't. The danger is, does the manager see him there long term. Only the manager can answer that. The rest of us are going to have to wait and see.

That may have been the case tonight NE5, and I agree Allardyce didn't really have a choice, but I don't need to remind you that Smith has been picked before Barton and more importantly and frequently Emre before, do I? Also, Sam must have banked on Smith as a midfield player, or he would have replaced Dyer and Solano with a proper midfield player. I have expressed my opinion on Smith before: I don't think he is good enough for us, even in his best position. He is a striker who can't score, create or shoot and to make matters worse our 6 million acquisition is not benched for constant underperformance, he is made the captain and put in the engine room of our team, with detrimental effects as is clear to see. I can't see where people who say I can't judge him in a position where he is being played and for which he was brought in are coming from, I really can't.

I'm not saying myself that Smith is a midfield player. I realise he is different to Emre, but Emre is a homer, so there is a case for preferring Smith in some away games. At the end of the day, I don't think either is good enough in midfield, not for what I want either. If Allardyce has brought him to play in midfield, especially alongside another defensive player, then he is wrong. I've always said this.

In that case it seems we do agree after all. It's just people who say we can't judge a player after such a shower of piss by said player do my head in..

Smith is a forward who is fit enough and has the battling temprement to play midfield without the creativity. He has played 90% of his life with his back to goal, and in the last 3 seasons has been asked to change.

He's playing in midfield so I'll judge him in that position, he was shite again today.

Thats fair enough, but when he plays up front, he plays like a forward with the qualities of a midfield battler, yet with few of the qualities you need from a striker.

Thats why ManU played him in midfield so often, and why he didnt look good for them up front when he did get an occasional start there.

eerr........apart from over a season on the injured list, I would say they played him in midfield because he isn't a Wayne Rooney, Saha, Van Nistelrooy and now Tevez [which is why he has moved on]

Hardly a disgrace.

eerr....Van Nistelrooy wasnt there last season, neither was Tevez, and Saha was frequently injured along with Solskjaer, which is why Rooney often played up front on his own, or with Giggs in behind him (and for a very short while, an aged Larsson was drafted in, but that was whilst Smith was still injured iirc).

I specifically remember games where Ferguson avoided using Smith up front when he really had no other alternatives and Smith was fit. Thats not to say that Smith is s*** up front, just that he doesnt have enough of the qualities you want from a striker, and has more of the qualities you want from a midfield battler - which is ultimately why when he regained fitness, his chances up front were pretty few under Ferguson, despite their striking shortage.

Anyway, arguing what his situation was at ManU is straying somewhat. The question is, has he earned a place up front for us in his few performances in that position? I would say maybe, and hence I would want him to get a run in the side up front with Martins on ANC duty. But again, thats ONLY because our other forwards have been so poor this season and our options are so limited - in truth, it looks like we will be getting very little from Smith other than effort in any position.

Souness saw Craig Bellamy as a wide player [well, he didn't really, but he was just looking for an excuse to cause a situation to kick him out of the club]. Bellamy was criticised by numerous people for voicing his opinion, for the good of the team in his view.

Smith is playing where the manager wants him to play, for the good of the club, in the way he sees it.

Different scenarios, but both those players had the best interests of the club at heart.

Fact is, Smith is playing where he is because we are short of midfield players and getting on with it. Nobody is saying he's particularly good there, because we can see that he isn't. The danger is, does the manager see him there long term . Only the manager can answer that. The rest of us are going to have to wait and see.

I'd be happy to judge Bellamy as a wide player, he wasn't bad.

As a consistent supporter of Smith I thought he looked way out of his depth today. Continued to jump into the tackle, more often than not failing to get the ball, and when he was in possession, he didn't have a clue what to do with the ball and could only knock it square or back. Even his renowned fitness looked suspect as he was really labouring at the end of the game.

Allardyce must be able to see that a centre midfield of Butt and Smith has never been, and will never be, an effective pairing.

Once again today, Smith looked untouchable, the worst player on the pitch today, why the f*** is he playing the whole game? Cacapa could have replaced Faye in the defence and Faye could have taken Smiths place.

£6m for that piece of shit, oh my....

just an opinion, but I think if Cacapa had played at the back instead of Faye, we would have lost

Agree entirely with this, but it wasn't the only way Allardyce could have gone.

Faye has won me over in the last few games, both in midfield and at the back. I'm very happy we have him. Taylor is - and always has been despite a few flaws in his game and a few mistakes at times - a top young player for the club and will be hopefully for his whole career. He's every bit as promising as Moncur was at the same age, in different ways.

It's a shame we haven't got two Fayes really, because he's looked our best centre-half and central-midfielder when he's played. Just hope that Senegal in particular do terribly at the ACN, because with our upcoming games and the lack of Beye and Faye at the back in particular, we're going to be in for some fucking hammerings.

Faye has been immense in either role.

I will judge him where his manager plays him thank you very much. By now it is pretty clear Sam thinks of him as a versatile player and is perfectly happy to play him as a defensive midfielder. He is our captain, if that position doesn't suit him or doesn''t benefit the team he should be voicing his opinion about it.

Fact is, Smith is playing where he is because we are short of midfield players and getting on with it. Nobody is saying he's particularly good there, because we can see that he isn't. The danger is, does the manager see him there long term. Only the manager can answer that. The rest of us are going to have to wait and see.

That may have been the case tonight NE5, and I agree Allardyce didn't really have a choice, but I don't need to remind you that Smith has been picked before Barton and more importantly and frequently Emre before, do I? Also, Sam must have banked on Smith as a midfield player, or he would have replaced Dyer and Solano with a proper midfield player. I have expressed my opinion on Smith before: I don't think he is good enough for us, even in his best position. He is a striker who can't score, create or shoot and to make matters worse our 6 million acquisition is not benched for constant underperformance, he is made the captain and put in the engine room of our team, with detrimental effects as is clear to see. I can't see where people who say I can't judge him in a position where he is being played and for which he was brought in are coming from, I really can't.

I'm not saying myself that Smith is a midfield player. I realise he is different to Emre, but Emre is a homer, so there is a case for preferring Smith in some away games. At the end of the day, I don't think either is good enough in midfield, not for what I want either. If Allardyce has brought him to play in midfield, especially alongside another defensive player, then he is wrong. I've always said this.

In that case it seems we do agree after all. It's just people who say we can't judge a player after such a shower of piss by said player do my head in..

Not being funny about it, but do you even support Newcastle? I don't think you do, which is why I don't particularly give a toss what you think.

Absolutely anonymous 2nd half.....Owen was shite but that was because he didn't see the ball.. Smiffy had plenty of opportunities and wasted every one. Butt was great defensively but who does he think he is ..Scholes ? ...... he'd have filled his boots todaywith the opportunities presented to the other Ginga >:(

As a consistent supporter of Smith I thought he looked way out of his depth today. Continued to jump into the tackle, more often than not failing to get the ball, and when he was in possession, he didn't have a clue what to do with the ball and could only knock it square or back. Even his renowned fitness looked suspect as he was really labouring at the end of the game.

Allardyce must be able to see that a centre midfield of Butt and Smith has never been, and will never be, an effective pairing.

Allardyce is a nob.

Not being funny about it, but do you even support Newcastle? I don't think you do, which is why I don't particularly give a toss what you think.

Everybody on here has stopped caring what you think long ago mate. Is supporting Newcastle and judging one of the players on our books is crap somehow incompatible?

He was just an embarrassment tonight.

Did you think he was that good? I thought you didnt like Smith.

I've changed my mind, Spence.

All that grafting, the fouls he gave away on the edge of the box and that big sliding tackle he missed by a mile, what's not to like?

He was just an embarrassment tonight.

Did you think he was that good? I thought you didnt like Smith.

I've changed my mind, Spence.

All that grafting, the fouls he gave away on the edge of the box and that big sliding tackle he missed by a mile, what's not to like?

I thought at times his passing & his inability to control the ball he started a lot of the Stoke attacks, which is ironic with him meant to be the chap breaking up the oppostion attacks.

Simply not a midfielder and shouldn't be playing there. Everyone in the world apart from Sam Allardyce seems to be able to realise this.

Nicky Butt should also be BANNED from shooting oustide the box.

Simply not a midfielder and shouldn't be playing there. Everyone in the world apart from Sam Allardyce seems to be able to realise this.

Nicky Butt should also be BANNED from shooting oustide the box.

You sure he wasn't trying to pass the ball? I can't really see any difference between his shots and his crosses, the ball always ends up at the cornerflag/parking lot.

Are we going to have to put up with another couple of pages of slating of Alan Smith after every game he plays in midfield?

EVERYBODY (apart from the idiot in charge of the team) by now knows Smith is SHIT in midfield and he should not be selected there.

It's obvious lots of people hate the bloke, but honestly, using every game he plays in midfield where he is obviously crap as another yet opportunity to slag him off is becoming more than a little bit boring.

Are we going to have to put up with another couple of pages of slating of Alan Smith after every game he plays in midfield?

EVERYBODY (apart from the idiot in charge of the team) by now knows Smith is s*** in midfield and he should not be selected there.

It's obvious lots of people hate the bloke, but honestly, using every game he plays in midfield where he obviously crap as another yet opportunity to slag him off is becoming more than a little bit boring.

If he has a good game in any position, then I will say well done.  If he has a shite one (which seems to be the only form he's offering) then people want to vent their frustrations about it here.  If its boring for you to read, perhaps don't come in to this thread, which is clearly where people want to discuss how shite Alan Smith is playing.

Rocket science eh? - meh