Alan Smith

tmonkey

Kinda appears that people would be happy to sell Smith, even if nobody came in, which is absolute nonsense.

Why?

Because we kinda have to have a squad. I don't see any successful teams going into a season with just about enough players to fill half the bench.

TT - I'd agree with bringing in Billy ;)

Selling him would make me more happy than any of our signings have so far this summer.

Signing a decent striker and selling Smith would make me more happy etc etc...

I bet we're not even contemplating signing strikers though.

Smith has actually cost us goals, and I find it unlikely that another striker, be it a complete rookie like Ryan Donaldson, would do the same.

Play a striker in front of the defence and I think you'd be wrong.

I'm by no means a Smith fan by the way, but if he were that easy to replace you'd hope that our Billionaire owner might try and do it.

Kinda appears that people would be happy to sell Smith, even if nobody came in, which is absolute nonsense.

Why?

Because we kinda have to have a squad. I don't see any successful teams going into a season with just about enough players to fill half the bench.

So you'd keep him because he's a human being? Flog him and get someone from the reserves in as an emergency measure, save 50-60k a week.

Selling him would make me more happy than any of our signings have so far this summer.

I thought you rated Smith anyway, Gol?

Why?

So you'd keep him because he's a human being? Flog him and get someone from the reserves in as an emergency measure, save 50-60k a week.

Hang on, I've already made that point when I said about bringing in a league one player, which people said was pointless. Make your mind up.

What do you think the club should do, and what do you think they will do?

I think the club SHOULD look for a quality striker and sell Smith. I think they will either keep Smith, or sell him and not replace him.

Rightio, lets go into the season with a 14 man squad. That's a f***ing brilliant idea.

Why does everyone on here go so over the top about our players being shitter than s***? Is Smith was as s*** as you lot think, why don't we just get in a cheap league 1 player to replace him?

Why don't we?

Because Smith is better than we can actually get? I'm as pissed off as everyone that (it looks like) we're not signing a replacement for Smith, but I also accept that if we don't sign a striker, we can't afford to let Smith go. The squad is as thin as we've ever had it in the Premiership, we simply cannot let more players go without replacements coming in.

This sort of reasoning is exactly why he is still here and it's just dead wrong..

Wouldn't go as far as some people saying they'd rather play 10 men, but if we did sell him then i'm sure we would look to replace him, anything to back that feeling up or just speculating?

Rightio, lets go into the season with a 14 man squad. That's a f***ing brilliant idea.

Why does everyone on here go so over the top about our players being shitter than s***? Is Smith was as s*** as you lot think, why don't we just get in a cheap league 1 player to replace him?

Why don't we?

Because Smith is better than we can actually get? I'm as pissed off as everyone that (it looks like) we're not signing a replacement for Smith, but I also accept that if we don't sign a striker, we can't afford to let Smith go. The squad is as thin as we've ever had it in the Premiership, we simply cannot let more players go without replacements coming in.

This sort of reasoning is exactly why he is still here and it's just dead wrong..

I don't disagree to be honest. However, the correct way to do things is to bring a replacement in, and then let him go. Might be poor business, but it's good football sense.

I'm speculating that we won't sign a striker before the transfer window shuts, but I bet nobody is willing to put money on us getting someone, are they?

I will be fuming if we sign this useless shitbag.

I wouldn't even take him for free. He makes Phil Neville look like a half decent midfielder ffs.

How I laughed when you were on here moaning when it looked like you were going to sign him last Summer. mackems.gif

And then we signed him.:(

I'd rather sell him and take the risk the club can bring someone in rather than keeping him here taking up a place in our squad.

Exactly.

Add Duff and Milner to that then. Obviously the club have proved over the last few years just how successful we've been at replacing people.

Seriously, if Smith is so shit, and it'll be so easy to replace him, why exactly are we leaving it so late in the transfer market? Do you think we already have someone lined up, or do you think Keegan has your attitude and is happy to wing it?

Why don't we?

I don't disagree to be honest. However, the correct way to do things is to bring a replacement in, and then let him go. Might be poor business, but it's good football sense.

I'm speculating that we won't sign a striker before the transfer window shuts, but I bet nobody is willing to put money on us getting someone, are they?

£50 then Gol that we bring someone in that can play as a striker.

Why don't we?

How about bringing in a striker, which is what I said?

I actually think we'll sign a creative midfielder, so I'm not taking that bet with you ;)

My frustration is born out of the fact that I expected (not hoped) for him to be replaced and the more he plays (without it looking like we're making any effort to shift him, the KK quotes, the lack of a new striker coming in which is something we desperately need) the more annoyed about it I get.

Guest Sniffer

If we could con somebody into buying smith, which is a big if, it might be worth offering 3 mill for Nugent. Still young and never had much of a chance at portsmouth. Even though Ipswich offered more, he didn't want to drop down but pompey want to move him on. Although I'd prefer a bigger player up front, he may be able to do a job.

My frustration is born out of the fact that I expected (not hoped) for him to be replaced and the more he plays (without it looking like we're making any effort to shift him, the KK quotes, the lack of a new striker coming in which is something we desperately need) the more annoyed about it I get.

Exactly.

Why don't we?

How about bringing in a striker, which is what I said?

I actually think we'll sign a creative midfielder, so I'm not taking that bet with you ;)

I think Keegan will try and sign someone that can do both, like Baptista for example.