Given - Beaten Easily From Long Range Again.

Crumpy Gunt

Tiny deflection really. He slipped like a seal flopping into the pool at the seal house.

Harper on the other hand made a fantastic reflex save which was 100 times harder from similar range with a bigger deflection.

Spot on - Harper made 2 great saves. Given was a disaster, the deflection was very small and he was really slow in getting across. Should have been dropped ages ago, and would have been by many other managers...

Guest toonlass

Of course Given was at fault for their first. It was a shot hit like an 8 year old lass had tapped it, Shay got his studs stuck in the ground and it rolled past him only slightly faster than your average tortoise travels. Shay is a lovely bloke, canny an all, but he is not the same keeper he used to be.

Guest Ridzuan

Yes Given was at fault for the first goal,but again he risk his groin there,so I think he deserve some credit.I think its time for Harper to get a little run because I think Given has suffered to much physically and mentally as well,thats why he isnt the same keeper as he used to be.

given was at fault for their first imo.

injuries and inconsistency have pretty much summed up his season.

time to give harper a run imo

There's absolutely no value in giving Harper a run IMO.  If Harper is first choice we need a new keeper.

We can't get a new keeper until the summer. Harper's the best goalkeeper at the club so we should play him...

Guest toonlass

given was at fault for their first imo.

injuries and inconsistency have pretty much summed up his season.

time to give harper a run imo

There's absolutely no value in giving Harper a run IMO.  If Harper is first choice we need a new keeper.

Are you suggesting that Fraser Forster is our first choice keeper with Given and Krul out injured? Can I have what you have been drinking please!  bluelaugh.gif

I think that Given's a good keeper and I don't think that he's particularly vulnerable from long range either; it just appears that he is because Smith gives so many free-kicks away in those areas. My main gripe with Given is his kicking. I bellow, I swear and I blame him for defeats on that basis, because he is pretty crap at it.

But then I think to myself, 'Is this fair?'

He's a good keeper actually. His kicking is shite but why does he have to do that? The rule change in 1992 is why. Brought in to encourage attacking play and discourage negative play, has it done that? Are teams any more attacking in 2008 than they were in 1992?

I don't think that they are. All that has happened is that natural athletes like Given, a good goal-keeper, are punished by it. The ball is booted out for a throw-in, a head-on by the big man up front or a calamity happens (as with the Coventry keeper yesterday) and against the run of play another fluke is scored.

In all I'm saying that this is a crap rule. No team won anything because of the back pass. The present law leads to low-quality percentage football and we should go back to the old arrangement where goal-keepers are allowed to handle the ball in their own box with time limits to ensure the ball is returned to play.

The goal scored by Huth for 'boro was a bit of a shocker as well. A slow looping header should have given him plenty of time to adjust his position, take a few steps back and tip it over the bar. He just stood there rooted like a tree.

The goal scored by Huth for 'boro was a bit of a shocker as well. A slow looping header should have given him plenty of time to adjust his position, take a few steps back and tip it over the bar. He just stood there rooted like a tree.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8558/79491591os3.jpg

A picture says a thousand words

To me that pciture at the very least shows poor reading of the flight of the ball. Given just stood there thinking the ball would clear the bar. there wasn't even an attempt to save!

To me that pciture at the very least shows poor reading of the flight of the ball. Given just stood there thinking the ball would clear the bar. there wasn't even an attempt to save!

Like Given this season tries to save anything.

Oner day you lads will get a team without Given and you will finally realise just how bloody stupid you've been..............................   

You mean we are going to concede even MORE soft goals from distance because his successor is yet another second-rate buy? One day, we might get a team without most of the plodders we currently have, and THEN people will see how stupid they've been to think these players are any good..

Given has had his day - some players start going downhill faster than others and there is NO room for sentiment at NUFC..however I do think that there is a shortage of really good goalkeepers.

Given's only real weakness used to be he didn't command his area. Now you can add he tends to stand motionless when he thinks he's got no chance which is far too many times these days. He's not the keeper he was.

He is playing behind a s*** defence, a s*** midfield and a s*** strikeforce.  Given is the least of our worries tbh.

yeah they are shit too but that doesn't excuse Shays crap shots to saves ratio posted by ON a couple of posts up.  And anyone watching him regularly wouldn't have needed to see those stats to know how poor he's been.

The free kick moments later was even worse, I thought.

In todays Mirror there was an article about who would be Capellos goal keeping choice. It had a list of the ratio of  Saves to shots by prem keepers. Given was 2nd from bottom only beating Paul Robinson with a percentage of 54 ish.

Edit: Just noticed already being discussed above.

people have said shay doesn't command his area etc...  is there any evidence from his defenders comments to this effect?  serious Q, not having a go at anyone.    i really wonder if any of the back 4 over the past few years has let slip some damning comment about shay. 

i also wonder if the harewood injury hasn't gotten inside his head and made him tentative on saves where he has to expose/extend his body and be vulnerable...

Guest KeithKettleborough

He has been good, best shot stopper I have ever seen at the Toon but never great, that accolade would only go to someone good at all aspects of keeping. It often appears to be like a mini Shearer situation. He thinks he is too good to be dropped and will hold onto his position til HE decides its time to go. Big difference of course is that he probably had little to do with any managers/players leaving but its similar, too much "power".

What annoyed me about the last game was when he decided to come off. If he had injured himself with the first goal, then with an adequate replacement on the bench, why didn't he come off then? It seemed that he came off when he thought the game was up and that we were heading for a hammering. Rather selfish really when the team should be first priority.

We looked solid earlier in the season when Harper was in goal and I could not understand why Sam changed it with Given. Since then we have never looked solid and maybe with confidence low, its too late to get back to those slightly promising days when we weren't leaking goals so alarmingly.

Guest justin99.

He has been good, best shot stopper I have ever seen at the Toon but never great, that accolade would only go to someone good at all aspects of keeping. It often appears to be like a mini Shearer situation. He thinks he is too good to be dropped and will hold onto his position til HE decides its time to go. Big difference of course is that he probably had little to do with any managers/players leaving but its similar, too much "power".

What annoyed me about the last game was when he decided to come off. If he had injured himself with the first goal, then with an adequate replacement on the bench, why didn't he come off then? It seemed that he came off when he thought the game was up and that we were heading for a hammering. Rather selfish really when the team should be first priority.

We looked solid earlier in the season when Harper was in goal and I could not understand why Sam changed it with Given. Since then we have never looked solid and maybe with confidence low, its too late to get back to those slightly promising days when we weren't leaking goals so alarmingly.

it's good to see you've got his personality nailed from what, the look on his face on the tv?

there some pretty harsh words on someone who I believe has given his all to his club.

Obviously it's not enough for some.

Might be wrong, but wasn't our best spell when we had Harper in goal, Enrique left-back, and Faye & Cacapa centre-backs?