Given - Beaten Easily From Long Range Again.

Crumpy Gunt

f***ing terrible mistake from Harper today. We used to take it for granted that we wouldn't let in goals like that.

For some reason no media outlet seems to be blaming Harper at all.

Mistake??

Er, yeah. Butterfingers.

Didn't think he done that much wrong tbh. Have to see it again though i think.

He should have done far, far better.

Ball was right into his hands along the floor, all he had to do was cushion it into himself, they go through all that in training. It was a big mistake.

Then again so was the corner, the marking, the defending, etc etc

Guest Heneage

The fact he palmed it back to him,surely common sense would say palm it away from the striker whos just shot.

f***ing terrible mistake from Harper today. We used to take it for granted that we wouldn't let in goals like that.

Mistake??

Er, yeah. Butterfingers.

Was a really good block, got his body in the way.  Just unlucky.  Did nothing wrong imo, being overly critical?

Fucking terrible mistake from Harper today. We used to take it for granted that we wouldn't let in goals like that.

Incidentally, I bumped the thread because Given was beaten from long range again today apparently, not because of the goal we let in today. :lol:

Fucking terrible mistake from Harper today. We used to take it for granted that we wouldn't let in goals like that.

Incidentally, I bumped the thread because Given was beaten from long range again today apparently, not because of the goal we let in today. :lol:

Oh. :lol:

Still, like I said those kind of mistakes are what we are far too used to our keeper not making.

The fact he palmed it back to him,surely common sense would say palm it away from the striker whos just shot.

How many yards away from Bent was he?  It was instinctive, he wouldnt of been thinking of that - just wanting to stop the ball pass him whichever way he could.

Givens reflexes are still far better than harpers. He only gets beaten when theres nothing he can do atall. 1 on 1's he always got a foot, arm, shoulder, header or anything to the ball to deflect it somehow. We all took that as luck, when in reality its the position he sets himself up in which makes that possible.

If we do go down (which I'm still not convinced we will) I'd be making Krul/Forster first choice next season.

I didn't think it was Harper to blame for that goal but I don't rate him that highly anyway. I would love to see Krul/Forster step up to the stage.

Givens reflexes are still far better than harpers. He only gets beaten when theres nothing he can do atall. 1 on 1's he always got a foot, arm, shoulder, header or anything to the ball to deflect it somehow. We all took that as luck, when in reality its the position he sets himself up in which makes that possible.

15 pages say you're wrong.

15 pages of people taking his ability for granted.

Rubbish. 

I don't think you'll find anyone who thinks he isn't a very good goalkeeper, but to say he only gets beaten when there's nothing he can do is nonsense.

Rubbish. 

I don't think you'll find anyone who thinks he isn't a very good goalkeeper, but to say he only gets beaten when there's nothing he can do is nonsense.

Not really in the mood for petty shit. It was an exagerrated statement obviously, im not stating something as if its an absolute definate. You dont need to go back throughout his entire career and point out the odd occassion where he could have done something more. The point is 95% of the time he had nothing to do with it. Most of this thread is people arguing that he could do better with crosses, could boss his defence more, his distribution could improve & his weakness is long shots blah blah blah. Then you have others claiming that those long shots are just class strikes which no one can do anything about.

Realistically he's a class goalkeeper, he has saved us from endless goals. Far more than harper will have.

Mistake??

Er, yeah. Butterfingers.

Didn't think he done that much wrong tbh. Have to see it again though i think.

He should have done far, far better.

harsh iyam, the first one was a good save, just bad luck imo

Rubbish. 

Not really in the mood for petty shit. It was an exagerrated statement obviously, im not stating something as if its an absolute definate. You dont need to go back throughout his entire career and point out the odd occassion where he could have done something more. The point is 95% of the time he had nothing to do with it. Most of this thread is people arguing that he could do better with crosses, could boss his defence more, his distribution could improve & his weakness is long shots blah blah blah. Then you have others claiming that those long shots are just class strikes which no one can do anything about.

Realistically he's a class goalkeeper, he has saved us from endless goals. Far more than harper will have.

No one has said he hasn't. :lol:

And no one has taken him for granted.

But he does have some significant weaknesses, which you glossed over at first, then listed later on.

Fair enough if you didn't mean he only gets beaten when theres nothing he can do at all, but it is what you said.

I dont agree with most of those weakness though. His distribution wasnt that bad, he stopped shouting at the defence when they turned shit..probably because hed given up. At man city i see him bossing them around easily. He saves far more long shots than those that beat him & 1 on 1 you could rely on him. Tbf on some crosses he looked dodgy, but nothing in comparison to some other keepers...harper especially. Thats taking things for granted.

I dont agree with most of those weakness though. His distribution wasnt that bad, he stopped shouting at the defence when they turned shit..probably because hed given up. At man city i see him bossing them around easily. He saves far more long shots than those that beat him & 1 on 1 you could rely on him. Tbf on some crosses he looked dodgy, but nothing in comparison to some other keepers...harper especially. Thats taking things for granted.

That's canny poor if correct.

His command of his penalty area was always poor, that deficiency in our game was as much down to him as the back 4 in front of him.

Guest optimistic nit

It was Duffs shocking corner that fucked us up.

ironically iirc their goal came from the only set piece in the ENTIRE game that cleared the first man. :lol:

it really does depress me that we have one of if not the most fouled player in the league and some good headerers of the ball yet the worst deliveries in the history of ever.

ironically iirc their goal came from the only set piece in the ENTIRE game that cleared the first man. :lol:

it really does depress me that we have one of if not the most fouled player in the league and some good headerers of the ball yet the worst deliveries in the history of ever.

:lol:

Roger? Always like that one.

:lol:

Roger?

Haha.  ;D

• 3 weeks later...