Given - Beaten Easily From Long Range Again.

Crumpy Gunt

Perhaps I'm being hyper critical but I thought that he could have done better for the 2nd goal. He seemed to make it very easy for Kalou. I rate Given btw. Best keeper we've ever had.

Perhaps I'm being hyper critical but I thought that he could have done better for the 2nd goal. He seemed to make it very easy for Kalou. I rate Given btw. Best keeper we've ever had.

Tbf, he was obviously flabbergasted that he was onside.

Just seen the highlights on TV and Given made some brilliant saves today, i was laughing my head off at the Butt shot at Given, the commentators couldnt get over the save, "fantastic save, Shay Given at his best" :lol:

"Four minutes later Newcastle were thankful to Given for keeping them on level terms. The United goalkeeper was forced to punch the ball to safety after Juliano Belletti's cross had found Kalou in space in the penalty area.

The Ivory Coast striker helped Given to pull off a fine save by firing his shot straight at him.

It took an even better save from Given to keep the home side out seconds later. "

"Mikel John Obi danced past two challenges on the edge of the penalty before hitting a shot that deflected off Butt.

The ball appeared to have looped over Given but the United keeper somehow twisted his body before pushing the ball away with his right hand. "

"Seconds later Chelsea could have restored their advantage when a cross from Wright-Phillips was headed goal wards by Kalou only for the impressive Given to save."

Sell him hes shit

"Four minutes later Newcastle were thankful to Given for keeping them on level terms. The United goalkeeper was forced to punch the ball to safety after Juliano Belletti's cross had found Kalou in space in the penalty area.

The Ivory Coast striker helped Given to pull off a fine save by firing his shot straight at him.

It took an even better save from Given to keep the home side out seconds later. "

"Mikel John Obi danced past two challenges on the edge of the penalty before hitting a shot that deflected off Butt.

The ball appeared to have looped over Given but the United keeper somehow twisted his body before pushing the ball away with his right hand. "

"Seconds later Chelsea could have restored their advantage when a cross from Wright-Phillips was headed goal wards by Kalou only for the impressive Given to save."

Sell him hes s***

AND he commanded his box well, another of the ridiculous Given myths.

another of the ridiculous Given myths.

This bit has got to be a wind up

Nope. He drops fewer crosses and is beaten to the ball fewer times than any other Premiership keeper IMO. And I don't personally see any other keepers coming out for crosses than Given routinely ignores. Apart from those who charge out and get beaten to the ball of course.

Nope. He drops fewer crosses and is beaten to the ball fewer times than any other Premiership keeper IMO. And I don't personally see any other keepers coming out for crosses than Given routinely ignores. Apart from those who charge out and get beaten to the ball of course.

Given routinely ignores almost all crosses.  At least 3 times on Boxing Day he should have been out and claimed the ball, easing the pressure on our defence, but he never, ever does.  His command of his area is dreadful.  He's still a decent keeper though, but to suggest that's not one of his faults is shocking.

Given routinely ignores almost all crosses.  At least 3 times on Boxing Day he should have been out and claimed the ball, easing the pressure on our defence, but he never, ever does.  His command of his area is dreadful.  He's still a decent keeper though, but to suggest that's not one of his faults is shocking.

Dont agree.

He lets the ball bounce in the middle of the 6 yard box frequently.

Agreed.

Agreed.

I think that his judgement of when to stay, come, catch or punch is generally spot on. Compare Given's decision making with what you see every Match of the Day.

I think that his judgement of when to stay, come, catch or punch is generally spot on. Compare Given's decision making with what you see every Match of the Day.

Given rarely comes off his line and when he does he usually ends up flapping at the ball.

Goalkeepers and defenders agree which area of the box is whose responsibility. This is done to prevent defender and goalkeeper going for the same ball, so the defender knows when it's his responsibility or vice-versa. It's tactical. If you have a shortish keeper who is a good shot-stopper why have him commit himself unnecessarily for a cross that a defender should be equally or better well-placed to deal with?

I watched the whole game. He does seem heavier and slower than of old to be honest, he would have done better with a couple of saves he made early on a couple of years ago, and didn't save anything that couldn't be expected from a Premier League goalkeeper.

No no no no no no no!!

You can't base your opinion on watching Match of the Day for a start.

Correct. Based on being a goalkeeper for 20 years and watching more matches than I can count. I am aware that not everyone shares my viewpoint on this of course, but I see him "flap" less than any other prem keeper. I wonder if Cech is getting anything like the stick that Given does on here, after his mistake on boxing day.

Guest Undertaker

Given rarely comes off his line and when he does he usually ends up flapping at the ball.

I agree with you there like.

And of you'd see the full game not the "here's another Chelsea chance easily saved by Given" highlights on MOTD you'd have seen a couple of occasions when Given failed to do anything convincing with a ball in the air on the edge of the 6 yard box. One weak punch and one 'leave'. Did come and catch one near the end and took a wack for his troubles but that's all too rare.

If only he used his mouth to shout at defenders as much as he does at refs. Reckon he's now had 4 bookings for discent this season already.

Still i'd have smacked the useless fecking linesman for that outrage.

Agreed.

Seconded.

Nothing to do with long range shots etc but do you think SA has tried to change Given, this season Givens often been well out of his area clearing balls and seems to punch alot more.