Billy Furious

Guest Texasmag

I like Billy Furious, bought both of his books but he is wrong when he says that the toon army will never love Allardyce. It was just over 6 months ago the gospel according to St James said that ANY manager that won us a trophy NO MATTER HOW, would be loved. BF already hated Allardyce before he came to us, if you read his second book its pretty obvious to see that. Easy to write that article now, when it is clear we arent winning any trophys this season. Apart from this point, the lad writes a lot of sense and it was very refreshing seeing a national paper eliciting the views of a fan instead of them tellling us what we think (see The Times article after the wigan game for the classic example of this annoying journalistic trait)

Another thing about that article, he assumes that the same fans who sang their heart out for Sam at Blackburn and Fulham were the same ones shouting 'Shearer Shearer' at Wigan. I'm not sure thats true, i think there are a lot of lads pick and choose away day piss-ups and the boxing day match may have had some of the older lads not often seen away as much.

Just a theory, as i cant understand how they go to Blackburn on the back of weeks of utter dross and support the team but choose to get on the managers back after a run of 4 games without defeat. It seems too inconsistent. If it is the same fans, then i presume the away fans are now broken and they wont be backing him again all season, which i doubt will happen.

I've got the new book too but haven't started reading it yet

its the first team results that decide everything

Always has been. The only difference now is there are load of geeks (I may be one :frantic:) on Internet talking about football who are theorists. It is all 5 year plans, Academy's, international scouting networks  & other such things which will improve a football club that I have no doubt about but amongst all that waffle the thing called the result gets a bit lost in it all. To me the result is the be all & end all & as Sam has said he can only put things in place for the long term if he gets results NOW!!!

its the first team results that decide everything

Always has been. The only difference now is there are load of geeks (I may be one :frantic:) on Internet talking about football who are theorists. It is all 5 year plans, Academy's, international scouting networks  & other such things which will improve a football club that I have no doubt about but amongst all that waffle the thing called the result gets a bit lost in it all. To me the result is the be all & end all & as Sam has said he can only put things in place for the long term if he gets results NOW!!!

couldn't agree more mate.

Guest SellSholaFor1M

Thought it was a great article, he's spot on with everything.

Also it's great to see a proper fan putting it out as it is for us. Even if you're a bit  :idiot2: and still back Fat Sam, at least see that much in it.

I'v read his column in the Mag for years - always a good read. His two books are class.

I think he has it dead one. And most NUFC fans I know didn't really want him. But I think there was a feeling of having been given the job we had to give him a chance. I admit to having been won over a little bit with some of the transfer activity and he impressed me at the Talk-In back in July. But performances confirm my worst fears.

Guest Knightrider

I just like how it comes out now, why didn't he write all that when we appointed him, after all he was against his appointment and has hated him for years. Just seems like he's jumping on the bandwagon and sticking the boot into his own club to get a poxy link to his new book.

Sorry for not being a sheep like.

Btw I think he's a class writer and own his books, doesn't mean I have to agree with his views or can be happy with the timing of this article.

I'm always of the opinion that fans should stick up for their club, players and manager in the national press if only to balance all the crap that gets written about us and leave the pissing and moaning to the pubs, forums and fanzines.

Writing what he has, being a renowned and respected fan who writes books, just adds to the whole club in crisis thing in my opinion which we most certainly are not.

I'm always of the opinion that fans should stick up for their club, players and manager in the national press if only to balance all the crap that gets written about us and leave the pissing and moaning to the pubs, forums and fanzines.

Depends what you mean, if "Sticking up for the club" means saying we're getting there, in five years time we're gonna be contenders, it's going to come good in the end etc it just makes us look deluded when from the outside looking in we look very ordinary and are not showing much potential.

As for only writing this stuff now, doesn't he write all the time?  How do you know he was against the appointment at the time if he didn't give his views on it then?

Guest Knightrider

Depends what you mean, if "Sticking up for the club" means saying we're getting there, in five years time we're gonna be contenders, it's going to come good in the end etc it just makes us look deluded when from the outside looking in we look very ordinary and are not showing much potential.

As for only writing this stuff now, doesn't he write all the time?  How do you know he was against the appointment at the time if he didn't give his views on it then?

This is where some balance comes in, not once does BF point to the manager needing time or money or any of that stuff or some of the good things that's happened. In short he just sounds like another whinging Geordie expecting too much too soon and when it doesn't happen, stamps his feet.

That article didn't need so many words - "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" - would have done.

Nobody wants to see NUFC playing the kind of football SA plays.  No one.  But Because of past mistakes we are now going to have to put up with it for a while yet and get rid of this monkey off our back that the media love to ride at every chance they get.  So we had all better get used to it. 

Unless SA has a major rethink of course and decides to have a go at the lower teams in the league.  Doubt it like.

This is where some balance comes in, not once does BF point to the manager needing time or money or any of that stuff or some of the good things that's happened. In short he just sounds like another whinging Geordie expecting too much too soon and when it doesn't happen, stamps his feet.

That article didn't need so many words - "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" - would have done.

He has hated allardyce since before he came to us. The chapter on Bolton and the quote on the back cover sort of confirm that.

He has hated allardyce since before he came to us. The chapter on Bolton and the quote on the back cover sort of confirm that.

That makes it sound personal which it may or may not be - being honest I despised Bolton and everything they stood for but was conned by the argument that Allardyce would do it differently with better players and more  money at a bigger club. I still don't hate the man but I have no time for his "management".

Guest Knightrider

Exactly, so it's personal.

This is where some balance comes in, not once does BF point to the manager needing time or money or [any of that stuff or some of the good things that's happened. In short he just sounds like another whinging Geordie expecting too much too soon and when it doesn't happen, stamps his feet.

?

Guest Knightrider

Oh, like all the behind the scenes stuff, the actual wins we have under our belt, we have won some games you know, comfortably too like beating Spurs, West Ham, Everton - our rivals. Getting rid of the dead wood. Improving the squad's depth. Being a few points off the top 6 despite playing shite with a shite team with a shite manager.

Mind, in 20 games you do expect more...

Oh, like all the behind the scenes stuff, the actual wins we have under our belt, we have won some games you know, comfortably too like beating Spurs, West Ham, Everton - our rivals. Getting rid of the dead wood. Improving the squad's depth. Being a few points off the top 6 despite playing s**** with a s**** team with a s**** manager.

Mind, in 20 games you do expect more...

Most of the dead wood was going anyway before Allardyce arrived.  Also, we didn't beat Everton comfortably, it was 1-1 until the last 5 minutes.

As for being a few points off the top 6, we're just as close to the bottom 6.

If we've got a better manager and a better squad depth, why are we doing exactly the same position wise as last year when we had a shite manager?  We're currently 1 point better off than last year after the same number of games and we've got a harder 2nd half to the season, at the rate we're going Allardyce is in danger of doing less in a full season than Roeder.