Mort Expects Arrivals

Dave

If you and anyone else are too stupid to see the demtrimental effects of raising the already sky high expectations of this club then you cant truly say you have the best interests of the club at heart.

I guess I'm just stupid but I don't understand what the "demtrimental effects of raising the already sky high expectations" are.

I understand my sky high expectations which are currently "avoiding relegation" may be raised to "getting over 40 points" by the almost criminal act of buying players in January but I'm not sure how that is detrimental to the club.

Please enlighten me further oh knowledgeable one.

PS Are you Chris Mort?

If "avoiding relegation" is your definition of sky high expectation, then does that mean that you are pretty happy with things so far? If not, then why?

People dont seem to except that the past 4 years were part of our history, i seem to get the impression that people regard the past 4 years as something of a blip.

I dont, i see it as the current state of our club, i get the impression that people see us as a team who should be challenging for European places, something which has actually been quite sporadic throught our recent history.

It depends how you view the club at the moment alot of the fans seem to think we could be finishing in the top 6, especially after the signings we've made. The signings havent turned out too well at the moment and people are using the expectation that a top 6 finish was a possibility as a valid reason for lambasting the position that we find ourselves in.

Sam looks to be on the verge and its purely down to the fact that people expect us to be in a better position than we are at the mo, but why? 

Becasue of the expectations that had arisen from the Keegan era, and more recently the SBR era, in fact its the expectations of the Keegan era which ended up getting SBR sacked. How can we sustain any level of success without any stability.

I dont understand how people dont see how attempting to break into the top4 (our eventual goal) should be a slow process.

Hope you have been "enlightened" oh ignorant one.

Yes I think I get it.

Allardyce shouldn't have been given any transfer funds in the Summer to attempt to improve on the squad which finished 7th under Souness and Roeder as this raised fans expectations to a dangerous level where people foolishly expected to see signs of results and/or performances where we at least look like we might reach those dizzying heights once again, which is of course really bad for the club. Buying any more players in January in an attempt to improve the team would take us up to critical levels of expectation which would be even worse for the club. As a club we should aim to hang around in the mid to lower table positions for a number of seasons until fans expectations have reached a safe level so that hopefully we can be content with mid to lower table finishes each year, just being happy to stay in the league. This will reduce the pressure on the manager and board which as history has shown is the route to success. Of course, should we at some point in the future finish in a UEFA cup place as is the privilege of clubs which keep their managers for long enough, then we'll have to make sure we drop out of the competition as early as possible and sell off a few of our better players to avoid expectations rising to dangerous levels once again.

Is that right? I only want to have the best interests of the club at heart.

If you and anyone else are too stupid to see the demtrimental effects of raising the already sky high expectations of this club then you cant truly say you have the best interests of the club at heart.

I guess I'm just stupid but I don't understand what the "demtrimental effects of raising the already sky high expectations" are.

I understand my sky high expectations which are currently "avoiding relegation" may be raised to "getting over 40 points" by the almost criminal act of buying players in January but I'm not sure how that is detrimental to the club.

PS Are you Chris Mort?

If "avoiding relegation" is your definition of sky high expectation, then does that mean that you are pretty happy with things so far? If not, then why?

People dont seem to except that the past 4 years were part of our history, i seem to get the impression that people regard the past 4 years as something of a blip.

I dont, i see it as the current state of our club, i get the impression that people see us as a team who should be challenging for European places, something which has actually been quite sporadic throught our recent history.

It depends how you view the club at the moment alot of the fans seem to think we could be finishing in the top 6, especially after the signings we've made. The signings havent turned out too well at the moment and people are using the expectation that a top 6 finish was a possibility as a valid reason for lambasting the position that we find ourselves in.

Sam looks to be on the verge and its purely down to the fact that people expect us to be in a better position than we are at the mo, but why? 

Becasue of the expectations that had arisen from the Keegan era, and more recently the SBR era, in fact its the expectations of the Keegan era which ended up getting SBR sacked. How can we sustain any level of success without any stability.

I dont understand how people dont see how attempting to break into the top4 (our eventual goal) should be a slow process.

Yes I think I get it.

Allardyce shouldn't have been given any transfer funds in the Summer to attempt to improve on the squad which finished 7th under Souness and Roeder as this raised fans expectations to a dangerous level where people foolishly expected to see signs of results and/or performances where we at least look like we might reach those dizzying heights once again, which is of course really bad for the club. Buying any more players in January in an attempt to improve the team would take us up to critical levels of expectation which would be even worse for the club. As a club we should aim to hang around in the mid to lower table positions for a number of seasons until fans expectations have reached a safe level so that hopefully we can be content with mid to lower table finishes each year, just being happy to stay in the league. This will reduce the pressure on the manager and board which as history has shown is the route to success. Of course, should we at some point in the future finish in a UEFA cup place as is the privilege of clubs which keep their managers for long enough, then we'll have to make sure we drop out of the competition as early as possible and sell off a few of our better players to avoid expectations rising to dangerous levels once again.

f*** it, if we are looking to prove our ambition, then give Allardyce £100m, i think its fair to say he should be challenging for CL no probs with £100m this period.

Not like we cant afford it.

What do you think would be the affect on the club if Allardyce was given that much money. What do you think the expectations would be? Do you think we'd achieve those expectations. Thats all im trying to say.

Im not saying we shouldnt spend, but im saying the Jan period shouldnt be used to prove our ambitions.

p.s all this has started with my "too stupid" line which i apologized for, the line you quoted has been taken completely out of context but hell, ill still debate it.

Are the people wanting the club to give fat Sam money the same people urging the club to give Souness money when he was here?

no well i certainly wasnt calling for souness to get cash.

but i do think sam should get some

Guest Ridzuan

I believe funds will be provided for Sam but I think it is very limited.At this point of time,I dont think it is wise to spend the millions on a large number of players.Big Sam needs to think what is his priority first,which I think is to get another defender and probably a midfielder.That is the two areas of concern for us I think during this window period.

PS Are you Chris Mort?

Yes I think I get it.

this is getting rather excitingly close to how the club was run for decades pre-1992

PS Are you Chris Mort?

Yes I think I get it.

this is getting rather excitingly close to how the club was run for decades pre-1992

Do you think it would be a good idea to pump £100m this jan period?

If not, then you'll see what im trying to say. The same you think for not wanting to tpu £100m into the club will be the same reasons i give to you about the 'ambitions of the board this period nonsense that you spout'

The ambition of the board really needs to be tested this summer, where the pool of talent is larger and the time of thorough incorporation is longer.

Would you use your best most expensie fishing rob to go fishing in a pond? Or would you save it for the sea?

If you cant see the merits in what im saying then im not sure what else to say.

There is never really a bad time to buy quality players if they are available.

of course, but it far too difficult a concept for some people it would seem

To all those who advocate buying players and "giving them time to settle ie the whole summer blah blah", who are the 2 best buys made in the summer ?

The 2 players bought on deadline day !!!!

Well in all fairness i wasnt arguing the time that a player should be signed my posts were in respone to someone saying the board need to prove there ambition this January period. Something which i disagreed with. Got dragged about the place though.....again.

To all those who advocate buying players and "giving them time to settle ie the whole summer blah blah", who are the 2 best buys made in the summer ?

Nice logic. :D

Explain that to some people and you get razor blade pictures in return.

PS Are you Chris Mort?

Yes I think I get it.

Yes, that's exactly it summed up very nicely.

:thup:

mackems.gif

I think this thread should now be closed and made a sticky after that classic piece of tripe above.

were i to play devils advocate and ask what gave it its tripe like qualities, what would your response be?

My response would be that if you can't see the obvious for yourself it isn't worth my time explaining. I imagine by now you've read posts from others of the same belief as myself. Ask one of them, they may have more patience with your type than I have.

Cheers

mackems.gif

I think this thread should now be closed and made a sticky after that classic piece of tripe above.

were i to play devils advocate and ask what gave it its tripe like qualities, what would your response be?

My response would be that if you can't see the obvious for yourself it isn't worth my time explaining. I imagine by now you've read posts from others of the same belief as myself. Ask one of them, they may have more patience with your type than I have.

Cheers

Cop out.

Cheers

PS Are you Chris Mort?

Yes I think I get it.

Yes, that's exactly it summed up very nicely.

:thup:

Yep, thats UV's views summed up nicely, but not mine.