Are we being complacent about our relegation chances?

stozo

Guest fraser

I have seen us relegated three times (actually alive for four). This is not a relegation side; incompetent, unlucky, gutless, brave and exhilirating in the space of five matches, but not relegation-bound. You KNOW when you're watching a side that's going down. There may be moments of denial but in your heart you know it. This team isn't going down.

They might deserve to though:-)

I have seen us relegated three times (actually alive for four). This is not a relegation side; incompetent, unlucky, gutless, brave and exhilirating in the space of five matches, but not relegation-bound. You KNOW when you're watching a side that's going down. There may be moments of denial but in your heart you know it. This team isn't going down.

Absolutely. Surely not even in the darkest scenario can anyone think relegation is a real possibility?

Absolutely. Surely not even in the darkest scenario can anyone think relegation is a real possibility?

We'd have to go winless for the rest of the season to get relegated IMO. Surely we'll pick up at least a couple, and it we don't - we bloody well deserve to be relegated!

We'll need another 14 points from our remaining 17 games to guarantee survival.  Five of those games are against Manure (a), Arsenal (a), Manure (h), Liverpool (a) and Chelsea (h).  Lets be generous and say we get 2 points from those matches, we then need 12 points from the next 12 matches against:

EDIT: Secret teams with special names people aren't allowed to write... which address do I send my £300 to before I can actually make a point on a forum for f*** sake!!

I think 6 points would be enough, it would mean the scum (and others) needing at least 15 points, which i cant see them getting. But, 9 will seal survival.

I think we'll be lucky to beat our worst ever premiership points total, and its shit that we are even mentioning points needed for relegation survival.

No team has ever stayed in the Premiership with 32 points or less.  The lowest total to keep a team in the Premiership was 34 points for West Brom in the 2004-2005 season (they scraped it by a single point in a record low season).  The average (not counting the first three seasons due to the extra teams at the time) is just over 37*.  But to aim for the average would be pretty dangerous, teams have been relegated on 38 points a couple of times, 40 points on a couple of occasions and on one occasion 42 points.  Like I said we need 40 points to make sure (even then its not 100% sure).

*When looking at the average points total for teams staying up I didn't use the teams final points total.  Instead I used the third bottom teams total plus one point.  Since this shows the lowest total a team could have stayed up on each season rather then what they did stay up on.