Martins

Guest K9

Saviola & Owen could be a f*cking outstanding pairing tbh.

Too similar.

Are they? I could see Saviola doing the Martins role a lot more consistently, allowing Owen to play off the shoulder of the defender a lot more.

Agreed think defenders would struggle against them

Saviola & Owen could be a f*cking outstanding pairing tbh.

Too similar.

Are they? I could see Saviola doing the Martins role a lot more consistently, allowing Owen to play off the shoulder of the defender a lot more.

Yes, they are.

Both are basically short penalty box strikers and neither want to be pulling out wide to help play build up, the only difference between them as players is that Saviola plays like Owen before his knee went in that he's quicker off the mark, the partnership will likely get a few goals but the partnership would be non existent.

Similar to when Spurs tried to play Keane and Defoe up front together.

Shearer & Ferdinand was never a good partnership as such too though imo. Just two top-class strikers with excellent service. Think it would still work to good effect.

Shearer & Ferdinand was never a good partnership as such too though imo. Just two top-class strikers with excellent service. Think it would still work to good effect.

Shearer was a completely different player back then who was quite happy to get up and down the wings which created space for the likes of Ferdinand and Beardsley, Owen and Saviola are two players that want to play the same role in the team and will struggle to play any other role in a 4-4-2, neither is going to come out wide or try to create for anyone else.

• 1 month later...

Newcastle have received a lift following the news concerning Michael Owen, with interim manager Joe Kinnear revealing Obafemi Martins could be fit to face Manchester City on Monday.

Star striker Owen has been ruled out of Monday’s clash – live on Setanta Sports – after tweaking his groin in training.

The news left Magpies fans wondering where Kinnear would turn for options, with Mark Viduka and Martins sidedlined, but the latter is on the brink of making a surprise return to action.

The Nigerian was forecasted to be sidelined until November with a knee injury, but he has trained well this week and is in the squad to face Mark Hughes’ City.

“Oba’s an option, and we’ve stepped up his training,” said Kinnear.

“We were planning to keep him back but because this has happened he is in the first team squad, he did well yesterday and exceptionally well today as well.

“He hasn’t needed any other further treatment on his knee so that’s a good sign.

”He is in my mind to be involved in the match against Man City.”

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/10/16/Prem-Kinnear-on-Martins/

As long as he's fitter than he was in the Spurs game, because he was shockingly off the pace there. Would sooner use him as a sub tomorrow.

As long as he's fitter than he was in the Spurs game, because he was shockingly off the pace there. Would sooner use him as a sub tomorrow.

Would quite liked to have seen Xisco and Ameobi up front with Zog and Duff providing some crosses just to see if they have anything about them. Two big strikers should really love that situation although I realise there's more chance of Ameobi heading for Barcelona than heading a goal.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got confidence in Oba now that he's got confidence. Can see him scoring again in the next two or three games (providing we're allowed to play football).

against Villa i expect to see long ball after long ball tbh

He was pretty darn poor last night mind.

Ameobi won practically everything in the air and Martins just stood watching and never once took a chance on Ameobi winning a flick on.

You're right tbh, he had a nightmare - he did against Sunderland aswell. But it's Martins, we know what a goal can do to this lad. Every run of goals that Martins has had has come in fits and spurts. He won't sore for a while, then nick one - and get two, three, four on the bounce.

So, like i say, i reckon if we play the style of football we did in the first half - and open the game up, it'll create chances and he's more likely to take em now. It's like he all of a sudden remembers how to be a striker. Frustrating, i know, but we love 'im. :D

A nightmare ? lol howay man, put away a decent header, got back and helped out, time after time he was surrounded by West Brom players and came out with the ball after being put under pressure by poor passing, put himslef alover the place last night.

Yes okay he fired a cross in that if anyone had got their head to we would sill be trying to wake them up now, and he over hit a pass to Duff that went out of play..

People forgetting the lad scored the winner and has this club at heart more than can be said for some.

this, and the fact that Fernando Torres would look average in this stupid system we've been playing, taylor made btw for a league 1 striker

People forgetting the lad scored the winner and has this club at heart more than can be said for some.

I'd say i'm one of the biggest Martins bumboys on this forum tbh, but he had a poor game last night, that's all i'm saying. Aye, the ridiculous system we played in the second half didn't help at all, but he's out of sorts atm. I've got every confidence he'll go on a scoring run though. Confidence is everything with Martins.

The amount of slack he gets cut is beyond belief. Our most overrated player 100%. It's cringe worthy on here with regards to him, anything is used to protect his predictable shit overall performance. Scoring a goal every 3 games or so doesn't make up for the countless times he's caught on his heels, in the wrong position, giving it away, which are regular occurrences.

The amount of slack he gets cut is beyond belief. Our most overrated player 100%. It's cringe worthy on here with regards to him, anything is used to protect his predictable s*** overall performance. Scoring a goal every 3 games or so doesn't make up for the countless times he's caught on his heels, in the wrong position, giving it away, which are regular occurrences.

dont fuck with oba. best player in the world.

The amount of slack he gets cut is beyond belief. Our most overrated player 100%. It's cringe worthy on here with regards to him, anything is used to protect his predictable s*** overall performance. Scoring a goal every 3 games or so doesn't make up for the countless times he's caught on his heels, in the wrong position, giving it away, which are regular occurrences.

So what  did he do that was so bad last night?

I pointed out 2 things I can remember what else was there?

Guest Heneage

I'd say i'm one of the biggest Martins bumboys on this forum tbh, but he had a poor game last night, that's all i'm saying. Aye, the ridiculous system we played in the second half didn't help at all, but he's out of sorts atm. I've got every confidence he'll go on a scoring run though. Confidence is everything with Martins.

Does it matter if he scored? Owen plays piss poor but still scores, strikers its goal its not performance. Goals win games not performances. If we can get a team going where we play on the floor and not just pass pass pass taylor HOOF, then we will see Martins do well.

So what did he do that was so bad last night?

I pointed out 2 things I can remember what else was there?

Didn't anticipate about 5/6 good flick ons (i.e in his direction from Ameobi). Stood still for long periods of the second half, meaning when we got the ball back he was caught unawares. In that second half he should have been looking to spin the last defender as soon as we won the ball back for the ball over the top, I saw him do it once I think. Picks up the wrong positions in build up play, in the box he actually seems to run into the right areas but in play I don't know what he's thinking sometimes.

Also with his pace he should have been hammering the channels in the second half looking for the early ball to catch West Brom on the break, but he's stood static in the middle of the pitch. Take a look at Cisse last week, when he hit those shots when he was facing away from our goal, one little run across the face of the defender and a ball slid into the channel and he had the run on our last defender. Personally I want to see that from Martins every week, it's not a complex run to make and it's an easy get out ball from the midfield if we're under pressure.

I don't really blame Oba to be honest, I just genuinely don't think he's got the intelligence to allow him to act at a split second's notice, everything is an afterthought.