Players we should never have sold

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm going to stick (at the risk of being lampooned by certain posters!!) with the Premiership era (dun dun duuunnnn).

1st off its more relevant ;) and a couple of the old time sales would certainly win outright anyway.

So which sale of a player had the biggest negative effect on the club?

(if you think of any more please say and i will add them)

Interesting thread.

Why was Ferdinand actually sold? Never really understood that; i was too young at the time. The sale of Cole was understanable - getting Gillespie, signing Ferdinand - but Sir Les, i don't know. ???

For me, Woodgate, because we got fuck all out of it - ie, did fuck all with the money and lost a great player.

Interesting thread.

Why was Ferdinand actually sold? Never really understood that; i was too young at the time. The sale of Cole was understanable - getting Gillespie, signing Ferdinand - but Sir Les, i don't know. ???

For me, Woodgate, because we got fuck all out of it - ie, did fuck all with the money and lost a great player.

They saw getting the same fee they paid for him back too good to turn down at his age, i think he was 29 at the time.

Interesting thread.

We never signed Sir Les though till six months later, so how on earth you can justify that as understandable.

Interesting thread.

They saw getting the same fee they paid for him back too good to turn down at his age, i think he was 29 at the time.

Bad move.

Interesting thread.

We never signed Sir Les though till six months later, so how on earth you can justify that as understandable.

Those six months were pretty insignificant in the great scheme of things though.

Interesting thread.

Those six months were pretty insignificant in the great scheme of things though.

Aye but the way it was put as if we sold Cole and we got Sir Les in there and then as a replacement.

Interesting thread.

Well i don't know. It was a few years before i was old enough to follow football, but that's what i thought. But Ferdinand did replace Cole and replaced him effectively, with no great fluctuation in the prices received/paid, so you could say it was always in the pipeline.

One things for sure, if we're replying to the question the thread asks, selling Cole wasn't much of a mistake.

Selling Cole when we did rather than in the summer probably helped us actually, finishing sixth as we did. We mightn't have got so close to the title if we'd have the UEFA Cup to contend with.