We'll need to spend close to £100m between now and the end of the summer 2008..

Parky

...following that logic (painful) even if we spent 50m on 2/3 players they still wouldn't come....eh?

We can get 3 players for the best part of £50m as Souey proved.

That was years ago, we were a champions league chasing side, in the UEFA cup.  We could then, we can't now.

we finished lower the season just before owen and luque signed than we did last season, champion's league chasing my arse. oh and we werent in the uefa the season luque and owen joined either.

Aye, a poor season after Robson did so brilliantly, so that's when we really had to be blinded by the cash being flashed so Freddy had to suck Owens cock for him to come (even though he was a crock no-one wanted).  Luque was one of the bung deals, must have been, because he was vastly overpriced, are you saying you want more of those 2 types of signing.

just because a club is spending money doesnt mean the transfers have to be shit, as souness's were, i said they were done without sense earlier in the thread.  the club needs to take more care of how it spends money, better scouting specifically, but it has to be spent all the same if we want to move forward substantially. not sure allardyce is the man i'd trust in the event of us having a lot of money, mind.

Spot on.

but there's only about 15 transfers ever that have been as big as £25M.

Not one of those players would have considered Newcastle.

I'm happy to give Allardyce a few quid to bring in quality.

but the £100m total and £15m+ criteria Parky is suggesting is mental.  He knows it but he's just having a great laugh at all the tits agreeing with him.

See where he says something like "where will they all fit?"  that's how you know, because when all the non-european clubs spend daft money on ever shitter players and they can't all break into the top 4, he knows they end up like Leeds.

Are Barton, Geremi, Duff and Smith the sort of midfield that gets the best out of slow immobile attackers?

Take your time.

Considering three of those were brought in by Allardyce (and they weren't exactly cheap), do you think trusting him with more money will see him change targets to something more exotic?

General question, not really owt to do with the thread as such. I know you've advocated giving him time.

Would of been my secondpoint to Chez!

I thought this was a wind up thread that would die on it's arse, but as some people are deluded enough to buy into this...

£100M on 15 - £25m players will get you 4 - 7 players.

Name me 4 - 7 players who's are currently valued at that (or even went for £10M in the last couple of years) that would come to the Toon now.

...following that logic (painful) even if we spent 50m on 2/3 players they still wouldn't come....eh?

You think we can't attract top players?

The PL is now the No.1 destination of most top players in the world read the opening article.

Thought so.

I don't think we can't, I know we can't.

f****** Steve Sidwell didn't even want to come.

Not good enough.

You know jack s*** from what Iv'e read so far. Sorry. I just don't buy all this we can't attract quality lark.

Football is a speculative business model.

:lol:

Are you pissed?

Sidwell is not f****** good enough.

Look we either compete and therefore start to spend to match our ambitions or we w*** on about Sidwell and Santa Clause or Cruz or whatever other muppet someone turns up for 5m.....

The point is my dear boy, Sidwell DIDN'T WANT TO COME?  How exactly are we attracting all these players better than him?

We looked a joke chasing Rooney, and we'd look a joke chasing anyone else in that bracket at the moment.

The point is now we have a billionaire owner, no debt, 25% more telly money, the richest league on the planet. talk of breakaway leagues, branding in Asia....Read the script ringo and the agree with me. Or move away I ain't selling peanuts.  bluerazz.gif

Parky, you talk daft in chat and it's funny, but football is serious man.

Even when Shearer came and we were challenging, everyone outside Newcastle knew he was daft, it was just geordie loyalty that brought him here (and god bless him for it). 

I know you love this thread baby cause you rarely post in footie.  :smitten:

Listen,

Some people see the train, some people can even hear the train coming and some people need to look at the timetable....

I am the f****** train.

;D

That was years ago, we were a champions league chasing side, in the UEFA cup.  We could then, we can't now.

we finished lower the season just before owen and luque signed than we did last season, champion's league chasing my arse. oh and we werent in the uefa the season luque and owen joined either.

Aye, a poor season after Robson did so brilliantly, so that's when we really had to be blinded by the cash being flashed so Freddy had to suck Owens cock for him to come (even though he was a crock no-one wanted).  Luque was one of the bung deals, must have been, because he was vastly overpriced, are you saying you want more of those 2 types of signing.

just because a club is spending money doesnt mean the transfers have to be shit, as souness's were, i said they were done without sense earlier in the thread.  the club needs to take more care of how it spends money, better scouting specifically, but it has to be spent all the same if we want to move forward substantially. not sure allardyce is the man i'd trust in the event of us having a lot of money, mind.

Spot on.

but the £100m total and £15m+ criteria Parky is suggesting is mental.  He knows it but he's just having a great laugh at all the tits agreeing with him.

See where he says something like "where will they all fit?"  that's how you know, because when all the non-european clubs spend daft money on ever shitter players and they can't all break into the top 4, he knows they end up like Leeds.

well i agree but dont think the 25m+ or 100m figures are entirely serious as you say. but i think we're in a pretty good position to spend some substantial bucks, reduced debt, more tv money, stadium mostly full, billionaire owner the reasons. there's some issues that might derail that, chairman who looks a bit too conservative, manager who might not be the best spotter of talent or handler of money, lack of established scouting network, not having the training or support (or manager?) to get best out of players once they arrive at the club. for these reasons i dont expect us to spend big in this window and would generally support that but i hope in the summer we're ready to compete.

Is there £100,000,000 available to spend though Parky? More importantly, is £100,000,000 there to spend for Allardyce?

Agree with the sentiments of the OP though. We need to attract 4 or 5 top, top players as a sign of intent. Getting the first one through the door will be the hardest though. :)

It's roughly what we need to spend. I wouldn't whine if we spent £70m net over the next couple of windows of course as that would be enough to set us on the way.

Is it there?

Ashley and Mort are winners and I'm sure they want to compete and MA has made noises about wanting to compete when he took over.

The Allardyce part I'd rather refrain from commenting on at this point mate.

Spot on.

well i agree but dont think the 25m+ or 100m figures are entirely serious as you say. but i think we're in a pretty good position to spend some substantial bucks, reduced debt, more tv money, stadium mostly full, billionaire owner the reasons. there's some issues that might derail that, chairman who looks a bit too conservative, manager who might not be the best spotter of talent or handler of money, lack of established scouting network, not having the training or support (or manager?) to get best out of players once they arrive at the club. for these reasons i dont expect us to spend big in this window and would generally support that but i hope in the summer we're ready to compete.

:thup:

Take a look who spent more than us in 07-08.

Tottenham

Sunderland

Birmingham

Derby

Fulham

They're hardly a convincing argument for boom rather than bust.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Anyone that thinks the solution is just money can't have been following a certain soap opera at Newcastle for the last 10 years.

Quality players goes a long way to giving the whole side confidence and three or four of such players will transform the side. Players who will ultimately cost between 15 - 25m each.  :yikes:

Now the squad is filling out a bit we have recruited some better defenders we really should start buying some quality.

You appear to be making the mistake of linking quality with cost.  For every Veron there's a Fabrigas.  For every Boumsong there's a Toure.  For every Ashley Cole there's a Cliche.  Hold on, I think I see a pattern emerging.  Perhaps there is an alternative to spending huge amounts of money.  And a long term sustainable one rather than an expensive quick fix one at that.

Is there £100,000,000 available to spend though Parky? More importantly, is £100,000,000 there to spend for Allardyce?

Agree with the sentiments of the OP though. We need to attract 4 or 5 top, top players as a sign of intent. Getting the first one through the door will be the hardest though. :)

It's roughly what we need to spend. I wouldn't whine if we spent £70m net over the next couple of windows of course as that would be enough to set us on the way.

Is it there?

Ashley and Mort are winners and I'm sure they want to compete and MA has made noises about wanting to compete when he took over.

blueyes.gif

That's the crux of it for me. If the money's there, why isn't it being spent?

The first thing alex said after City was that it was time to back him or sack him and he was/is spot on. Either give him the cash and cross your fingers or get shot and back the new guy to the hilt. The talent is out there and the likes of Elano are willing to go and play in the fucking Ukraine - they'd come here without a shadow of a doubt.

Spot on.

Tottenham

Sunderland

Birmingham

Derby

Fulham

Err...YOu've missed out Liverpool, ManU, Pompey and Man C.

Is it there?

blueyes.gif

The first thing alex said after City was that it was time to back him or sack him and he was/is spot on. Either give him the cash and cross your fingers or get shot and back the new guy to the hilt. The talent is out there and the likes of Elano are willing to go and play in the fucking Ukraine - they'd come here without a shadow of a doubt.

Elano was £8m (and Allardyce said no to him didn't he).

Not good/expensive enough for Parky.

Is it there?

blueyes.gif

Agree with that (Alex).

Of course we can attract quality, never believed otherwise.

Spot on.

Tottenham

Sunderland

Birmingham

Derby

Fulham

But they don't disprove your theory like the teams I have listed, so why would I bother.

A similar argument would be look at all these men going around breathing, and saying "you must breathe if you want to survive so you've got to be a man."

"Well women breathe and do ok!"

"Ssshhh, quiet about the women and the breathing and the living, they don't suit my flawed argument."

Spot on.

Tottenham

Sunderland

Birmingham

Derby

Fulham

But they don't disprove your theory like the teams I have listed, so why would I bother.

A similar argument would be look at all these men going around breathing, you must breathe if you want to survive so you've got to be a man.

Well women breathe and do ok!

Ssshhh, quiet about the women and the breathing and the living, they don't suit my flawed argument.

You're rambling now mate.  :lol:

Spot on.

Tottenham

Sunderland

Birmingham

Derby

Fulham

A similar argument would be look at all these men going around breathing, you must breathe if you want to survive so you've got to be a man.

Ssshhh, quiet about the women and the breathing and the living, they don't suit my flawed argument.

...and you're wilting  :cheesy:

Spot on.

Tottenham

Sunderland

Birmingham

Derby

Fulham

...and you're wilting  :cheesy:

Just put the kettle on.  :razz:

Are Barton, Geremi, Duff and Smith the sort of midfield that gets the best out of slow immobile attackers?

Take your time.

Considering three of those were brought in by Allardyce (and they weren't exactly cheap), do you think trusting him with more money will see him change targets to something more exotic?

General question, not really owt to do with the thread as such. I know you've advocated giving him time.

Dave, i'm not sure, thats the biggest question facing the club (as i said after City  :shifty:).

Fruitbat, my point was that the midfielders we have dont have the attributes to match the attributes of our strikers. Both departments are lacking and neither can make up for the inadequacies of the other. So, yes, i think the players are just about playing to their potential which is why we arent any higher up the league. Blame last summer if you want. 

Take your time.

Dave, i'm not sure, thats the biggest question facing the club (as i said after City  :shifty:).

Fruitbat, my point was that the midfielders we have dont have the attributes to match the attributes of our strikers. Both departments are lacking and neither can make up for the inadequacies of the other. So, yes, i think the players are just about playing to their potential which is why we arent any higher up the league. Blame last summer if you want. 

I tend not to over analyse things so forgive me for not understanding this, but why exactly do we have the wrong kind of strikers for our midfield?  We've got tall ones, short one's, fat one's, skinny one's, strong one's and weak one's.  Is it the midfield that's wrong?  What attributes do the midfield lack when playing at potential.  Duff in Blackburn form is an excellent provider and occasssional scorer.  As are Milner, Smith and Zoggy on Villa, Leeds and previous form.  Butt, Geremi, and Faye are solid as a rock on Man U, Chelsea and current form, while Barton always looked a classy* box to box player at Man City.

Sounds like British Rail excuse like the wrong kind of snow on the track.

*EDIT: Of course by classy I mean in a working class scumbag, thugish charver, blood and guts way.

Take your time.

I tend not to over analyse things so forgive me for not understanding this, but why exactly do we have the wrong kind of strikers for our midfield?  We've got tall ones, short one's, fat one's, skinny one's, strong one's and weak one's.  Is it the midfield that's wrong?  What attributes do the midfield lack when playing at potential.  Duff in Blackburn form is an excellent provider and occasssional scorer.  As are Milner, Smith and Zoggy on Villa, Leeds and previous form.  Butt, Geremi, and Faye are solid as a rock on Man U, Chelsea and current form, while Barton always looked a classy* box to box player at Man City.

*EDIT: Of course by classy I mean in a working class scumbag, thugish charver, blood and guts way.

Not sure if you actually seriously asking me or not....

Viduka and Owen are immobile and slow, Martins is unpredictable.

The midfield has no pace or creativity.

You can have one or the other but both at the same time means neither makes up for the inadequacies of the other. If the midfield had class and pace, they would pull defenders out of position, allowing the strikers to find space. If the attack had more class and a lot of pace, a hardworking midfield would be able to support them. The lack of mobility up front (and the spatial spackaness of Martins) places greater emphasis on creativity behind them.

Take your time.

You can have one or the other but both at the same time means neither makes up for the inadequacies of the other. If the midfield had class and pace, they would pull defenders out of position, allowing the strikers to find space. If the attack had more class and a lot of pace, a hardworking midfield would be able to support them. The lack of mobility up front (and the spatial spackaness of Martins) places greater emphasis on creativity behind them.

So you dont think there would be a single manager in the world who could put us in a better position with the squad we have at present?

Take your time.

So you dont think there would be a single manager in the world who could put us in a better position with the squad we have at present?

I hope this is leading somewhere about the quality of the squad, otherwise you've taken my trick of asking a subtle question but without the 'relevant' bit.

Of course i think there are better managers than Sam out there, who of course could do better. If you think Mourinho or Capello would win the league with our lot then my nickname for you is spot on ;) I'll save the Sam debate for that thread though  :razz:

Was totally serious.  A lot of the tactical chatter on here straight after a game baffles me.  I have 6 pints before and after and I'm lucky if I can remember the scorers the next morning (the way football is meant to be watched  O0 ).

Seems reasonable enough like, but I'd say all the players we have have shown they have some of those qualities in the past.  Injury or age might have robbed a few of them, but can't see any reason they collectively couldn't be organised to start utilising their talent as much as they have before.

Take your time.

I hope this is leading somewhere about the quality of the squad, otherwise you've taken my trick of asking a subtle question but without the 'relevant' bit.

Of course i think there are better managers than Sam out there, who of course could do better. If you think Mourinho or Capello would win the league with our lot then my nickname for you is spot on ;) I'll save the Sam debate for that thread though  :razz:

I never said anyhting about winning the league, however i am one of those "deluded souls who think we could get more out of our players" and apperently so are you, only in denial.

My point GayGiven, is that until Allardyce gets any improvments out of the players he has at the moment, i wouldnt be entirley confident that signing big players would make any difference to the current situation. Maybe a little, but i dont think enough to justify the huge prices.  

What?  We'd finished 14th in the Premiership the season before we signed those players and we weren't in Europe in any form.  We're a premiership side, that's enough to attract big players if you're willing to spend the cash.  Of course it also doesn't hurt that we've at least been in Europe plenty of times unlike most of the rest of the Premiership..