The Case for the Defence

danswan

I'm still thinking we're going to succumb to the 4-5-1/4-3-3 eventually, so in this fantasy team of sorts, I'd have Brown and Taylor in defence, Faye in the holding role, and Diarra playing the more roving/withdrawn of the remaining two central positions. Probably alongside Barton.

I'm still thinking we're going to succumb to the 4-5-1/4-3-3 eventually, so in this fantasy team of sorts, I'd have Brown and Taylor in defence, Faye in the holding role, and Diarra playing the more roving/withdrawn of the remaining two central positions. Probably alongside Barton.

Sounds pretty defensive to me, that. But i don't know masses about Diarra.

His signing would signal a 4-3-3, though. Him at the back of it, a la Makelele, the role he was meant to move into at Chelsea.

His signing would signal a 4-3-3, though. Him at the back of it, a la Makelele, the role he was meant to move into at Chelsea.

Can you see us playing anything else? If anything, I'd expect to see us play a team that is a poor man's Liverpool or Chelsea as opposed to Man Utd or Arsenal.

Sissoko/Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard is hardly gung-ho, neither is Makelele, Essien, Lampard, which was Chelsea's most successful midfield trio.

Can you see us playing anything else? If anything, I'd expect to see us play a team that is a poor man's Liverpool or Chelsea as opposed to Man Utd or Arsenal.

Sissoko/Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard is hardly gung-ho, neither is Makelele, Essien, Lampard, which was Chelsea's most successful midfield trio.

I think you could be possibly right, but that kind of formation has no place for Owen & or Martins.

Bring in Drogba.

We need to sign one good centre back.  If not, I'd rather continue to play Taylor at CB with Faye than sign a dead weight like Brown.

I'm not Taylor's biggest fan, but he's still young and could improve.  Brown imo would be a liability and would get found out very quickly when not playing alongside top class players.  Added to that the wages he'd want.

Who will be our Lampard/Gerrard though? Had high hopes for Barton but that's not happening.

Long term i think you're probably right, 4-3-3 is what we'll play. Wouldn't like to predict the personnel at this stage though.

I think you could be possibly right, but that kind of formation has no place for Owen & or Martins.

Bring in Drogba.

Exactly :thup:

Who will be our Lampard/Gerrard though? Had high hopes for Barton but that's not happening.

I still think it'll be him, if he doesn't get banged up, simply because there's nobody else.

I thought when we played Spurs at home that the  Beye-Cacaapa-Faye-Enrique  back four looked as good a defence as we've seen for a while and played regularly I think it could gel.

It seems after the Stoke match the Taylor bandwagon is rolling again but he is just so error prone and loses position. He was awful away to Chelsea and even in one of his better games on Sunday he could have given away a stupid penalty with the habit he has of using his arms to make himself bigger - just like he did against Alkmaar last season when poor old Titus took the wrap.

Talking about who can string passes together from midfield, how about a cheeky bid for Tom Huddlestone at Spurs. IMO he's a clss act but not getting too much of a chance! Great passer, can strike a ball, as well as being young and proven in the Prem.

Guest Knightrider

Who will be our Lampard/Gerrard though?

Nolan?

The thing with our defence has always been not the amount of goals they concede but in the manor the goals scored.  The guys we had & soem we still have all posses a "clanger moment" that help the oppostion out at any given time.

Guest Knightrider

Individually we have good defenders while collectively we have the making of a good back-four/unit. However we will always concede sloppy goals if the midfield and attack aren't doing their jobs properly or aren't good enough and this is now the two areas of the team we need to look at if we are to become a strong defensive force.

It amazes me people go on about Nicky twating Butt he doesn't stop anything on the deck or in the air. We cant drop him though as he is the only player we have who is prepared to shoot at goal, Charlie doesn't count as I cant belive he is aiming for the goal at with them shots of his.