The 'A' goal celebration explained

LoveItIfWeBeatU

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7175268.stm

It stands for A-Star, a footballing initiative to open up pathways into employment for youngsters through sport and other creative activities: -

Footballers are known for their inventive goal celebrations and the latest is the strange three-fingered "A" salute. But what does it mean?

From the robot and rocking the baby to Robbie Fowler's infamous line-snorting incident, footballers are always coming up with novel ways to express their joy at scoring a goal.

The "A" salute is the latest celebration sweeping the footballing world. After scoring a player spells out "A" using three fingers. England international and Manchester City defender Micah Richards, Everton's Andy Johnson and Wigan Athletic's Titus Bramble and Marcus Bent are among the Premiership players doing it. And for once it's got a positive edge.

The three-fingered celebration is part of an initiative started by a group of players, called A-Star. It aims to open up pathways into employment for youngsters through sport and other creative activities. The "A" salute is visual shorthand for the initiative's motto: "every child is a star".

One of the players who started the celebration is QPR defender Fitz Hall, who is co-founder of the initiative.

He says he wants young people to express themselves in a positive manner and follow role models who don't glamorise "crime, guns or drugs".

Sense of achievement

"The sign is his way of doing the talking on the pitch," says a spokesman for Hall. "The initiative is his chance to give something back to the game."

Through football tournaments and activities organised by A-Star, children will be given a chance to showcase their talents and hopefully come away from the event with a sense of achievement.

"The sentiment of A-Star is to influence young people to be the best they can be," says Kenneth Bonsu, also a co-founder of the initiative. "Whatever sphere or walk of life the young person may come from, the mantra of A-Star is that we believe that every child is a star."

The initiative is due to be officially launched this summer.

The initiative, and the positive message it's trying to promote, has been welcome in the footballing world after a series of scandals involving players, including rape allegations and assault charges.

In recent years goal celebrations have increasingly become a way for players to make a statement - personal or political - albeit often at the annoyance of the footballing authorities.

One of the most notable incidents involved Robbie Fowler. He raised his shirt after scoring a goal for Liverpool in a 1997 Cup Winners Cup quarter-final to reveal a T-shirt proclaiming support for sacked Liverpool dockers. He was fined £900 for doing it.

The "A" salute is the latest celebration sweeping the footballing world. After scoring a player spells out "A" using three fingers. England international and Manchester City defender Micah Richards, Everton's Andy Johnson and Wigan Athletic's Titus Bramble and Marcus Bent are among the Premiership players doing it. And for once it's got a positive edge.

Won't be seeing the celebration much at Wigan then?

Guest nufc222

i'd rather have my kid idolizing drugs and guns than Titus Bramble.

:lol:

thank god the high profile players are all involved otherwise this will never make a difference

i'd rather have my kid idolizing drugs and guns than Titus Bramble.

After scoring against Liverpool and officially ending their title chances I now consider Bramble one of my footballing heroes.

And the fact it was he who infact fucked up against us, giving the ball to Oba who crossed for Mickey to win us the game.