Mark Hughes

James

All the papers and the betting is leading with Hughes so someone must know something, plus when interviewed he refused to rule out thye move.

Hughes may not be the big name that most fans want but, his cv for revitalising teams, his record in the transfer market and his way of playing seems to fit the bill.

he took a bad wales team into the playoffs for euro 2004, and in his second season after stabilising the team, he got them into europe.

Hughes would be my bet.

All the papers and the betting is leading with Hughes so someone must know something, plus when interviewed he refused to rule out thye move.

Hughes may not be the big name that most fans want but, his cv for revitalising teams, his record in the transfer market and his way of playing seems to fit the bill.

he took a bad wales team into the playoffs for euro 2004, and in his second season after stabilising the team, he got them into europe.

Hughes would be my bet.

Hmmm...not overexcited! :-(

Thing is, Shearer could very easily be just like Hughes...thing that p*sses me off is the people that just assume, "things can't get any worse" when of course they can.

Hughes has been doing it tho, Shearer hasn't.

Hughes is ambitious,  some one mentioned earlier, if MH was at Newcastle and Man U came knocking that means he's been doing summik right. Right?

I wouldn't say I'd be happy as such, but I'll be satisfied - just - if that makes sense.

I've already said in this thread I can definitely see the positives in this one, even though I'll be gutted we didn't go all out for someone of the highest calibre.

I wouldn't say I'd be happy as such, but I'll be satisfied - just - if that makes sense.

I've already said in this thread I can definitely see the positives in this one, even though I'll be gutted we didn't go all out for someone of the highest calibre.

Yep you make sense. I'm of the similar feeling.  But maybe we are not able to go for the big guns yet. 

Yep you make sense. I'm of the similar feeling.  But maybe we are not able to go for the big guns yet. 

Exactly why it might have been better to wait till the summer.

100% right gimp...that's the way i'm looking at things now...whoever takes over needs to build, i'm not sure a lippi or hitzfeld or whoever would have the appetite for that right now

Agree with that as well.

perhaps, but i'm of the opinion that in may we'll be looking at the feelgood factor of the new guy coming in being the only thing that kept us up

the more i look at the fixtures from now on in the more terrified i am, and i still have confidence allardyce wouldn't have improved results enough to keep us up

I can't help but feel that because we are in the middle of the season, and we are not exactly in the strongest of positions at the moment, we will go for someone who has premiership experience and who is familiar with our team.

We really do need the new manager to hit the ground running so to speak. We can't afford to have someone from abroad come in and not now how shitty the likes of Smith are.

Therefore if we do get a foreigner it is more likely to be someone like Houllier or Jol who have coached in the premier league.

Apart from the dream appointments i.e Mourinho, Klinsmann, a 50 year old Bobby Robson,etc I think Hughes is the outstanding candidate.  He is certainly the pick of existing Premiership bosses excluding the impossibles like Wenger and Ferguson.

He was a bit of a cheat as a player despite his great ability but he seems to have become a very good, calm and calculating manager.

Right now I think given decent support he could move us forward and probably has the right balance of youth/hunger with a bit of previous experience as opposed to most of the other realistic canditates who seem heavily weighted with one or the other.

The best part is that initally at Blackburn he just made them tough, and focused on getting them playing later. Just what we need for the rest of this season; start properly in the summer.

I know some of that was said about Allardyce btw.

The best part is that initally at Blackburn he just made them tough, and focused on getting them playing later. Just what we need for the rest of this season; start properly in the summer.

My main concern now is fast dissapearing transfer window.

Thing is though Dave, he had to do that at Blackburn. Like I posted before, the team he had on his first game in charge was Friedel, Neill, Gray, Matteo, Short, Flitcroft, Ferguson, Pedersen, Emerton, Dickov & Stead.

He didn't really have any option but to try and make them hard to beat because he couldn't play football with that shower. Here though, we have the players, Duff, N'Zogbia, Owen, Viduka, Martins, to replicate the style of football he's currently playing straight away...if he was to try making us simply hard to beat like he did at Blackburn at first, it would more than likely mean Butt, Geremi, Smith, etc. getting starring roles.

Depends if Hughes has had his eyes on some players who were ultimately too expensive. This plus Ashley maybe wanting to show some intent might mean a couple of signings.

Thing is though Dave, he had to do that at Blackburn. Like I posted before, the team he had on his first game in charge was Friedel, Neill, Gray, Matteo, Short, Flitcroft, Ferguson, Pedersen, Emerton, Dickov & Stead.

He didn't really have any option but to try and make them hard to beat because he couldn't play football with that shower. Here though, we have the players, Duff, N'Zogbia, Owen, Viduka, Martins, to replicate the style of football he's currently playing straight away...if he was to try making us simply hard to beat like he did at Blackburn at first, it would more than likely mean Butt, Geremi, Smith, etc. getting starring roles.

Even better then. I don't necessarily subscribe to the opinion our players are good enough, but I take your point.

You could probably find someone posting that exact same thing about 9 months ago.

I feel like I'm beating myself over the head over and over again with a 'why did they do that' stick trying to figure out the motivation behind firing Sam here. It just doesn't add up. Maybe they read too much into our whining. Why not just keep the poor bastard here until you get someone better lined up. Its not like he was going to get us relegated.

Depends if Hughes has had his eyes on some players who were ultimately too expensive. This plus Ashley maybe wanting to show some intent might mean a couple of signings.

Latest from the Telegraph..

"Sources at Blackburn say the club are braced for an approach for Hughes but they are confident of retaining his services.

Hughes joined Blackburn in September 2004 and his performance there has won the admiration of Newcastle's billionaire owner, the sports retail tycoon Mike Ashley, who has commercial links with the Lancashire club."