Why shouldn't Newcastle fans have higher expectations ?

Guest thenorthumbrian

Guest thenorthumbrian

Why is it that only Newcastle fans who get called fickle and are told we have unrealistic expectations ?

At the recent Chelsea game the Chelsea fans were chanting "you don't know what your doing" to Avram Grant in a game they won !

We get slaughtered for this by the national press for this but nowt is said about them, why ?

I have expectations about what I want from my team why the fuck shouldn't I and other Newcastle fans have high expectations are we the only set of fans who are told we shouldn't demand a bit of success and decent attacking football to watch ?

I don't want my team full of scufflers like Smith and Barton but want to see good players with skill who are worth the price of my season ticket.

Don't get me wrong I don't boo or leave games early but b@llocks to be being told we can't expect a lot better than what we have been served up with this season

At the recent Chelsea game the Chelsea fans were chanting "you don't know what your doing" to Avram Grant in a game they won !

We get slaughtered for this by the national press for this but nowt is said about them, why ?

First Division/Premier League: 1954–55, 2004–05, 2005–06

FA Cup:1970, 1997, 2000, 2007

League Cup: 1965, 1998, 2005, 2007

FA Charity Shield/Community Shield: 1955, 2000, 2005

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1971, 1998

European Super Cup: 1998

Charity shield and Super Cup are not major trophies as they are one off matches.  We have more League and FA cup titles.  They've one the league cup and cup winners cup more but those are the most tin pot of trophies in both domestic and european football.

There history of success as a club is very similar to ours so that does not give them any right (the titles from 2005 to 2007 may do but then why not just say that rather than give full title break down).

Guest thenorthumbrian

First Division/Premier League: 195455, 200405, 200506

Big deal, are you saying that unless a team has won something recently the fans have no right to expect anything better in the future ?

Big deal, are you saying that unless a team has won something recently the fans have no right to expect anything better in the future ?

The point being how much success they've had recently.  It's not unreasonable for Chelsea fans to expect to be challenging for the title based on recent history.

It's also not unreasonable for us to expect improvement or be challenging for the title in several years time either.  Those are acceptable expectations.  But that's not the same as the vocal group of fans who expect any manager to turn a team that hasn't won anything for so long into a team that's challenging overnight.  That is an unreasonable expectation and that's where the press are right.

The point being how much success they've had recently.  It's not unreasonable for Chelsea fans to expect to be challenging for the title based on recent history.

It's also not unreasonable for us to expect improvement or be challenging for the title in several years time either.  Those are acceptable expectations.  But that's not the same as the vocal group of fans who expect any manager to turn a team that hasn't won anything for so long into a team that's challenging overnight.  That is an unreasonable expectation and that's where the press are right.

What?!, who expected that?!!  Nobody, the press pretend people expect that kind of thing in order to ridicule Newcastle fans, frankly I'm ashamed a so called fan would buy into it..

The OP is right IMO.  Newcastle fans are impatient or even worse delusional because they aren't happy watching horrendous Football week after week and seeing there team 11th in the league after the easiest start to a season in living memory.  But Chelsea fans are perfectly within there rights to act exactly the same towards there manager who has won his last  4 or 5 games and has the team third in the league and 6 poins off the top.  Why?!  Nobody mentioned a thing about Chelsea fans screaming "you don't know what you're doing" at Grant.  But we do it and its all over the papers, its hypocrisy, the kind of thing I've come to expect from the bunch of arseholes who call themselves Britain's media.

I second that.

Newcastle has been a major disappointment for the past few seasons (maybe 5 seasons or more?). As a down to earth/realistic person, I do expect them to improve bit by bit. However, if they do reach the top immediately, it's a bonus. I certainly don't like to day-dream.

Regards,

Ericz

Charity shield and Super Cup are not major trophies as they are one off matches.  We have more League and FA cup titles.  They've one the league cup and cup winners cup more but those are the most tin pot of trophies in both domestic and european football.

There history of success as a club is very similar to ours so that does not give them any right (the titles from 2005 to 2007 may do but then why not just say that rather than give full title break down).

You're either very, very old or very, very stupid. Failing that, somewhat delusional. Unless you're the former, you have no personal experience of watching Newcastle United win anything, you've (probably) seen us play well, you may have even been to a final or two, but at no point in your life have you personally seen what it takes for a Newcastle United team to win a "major trophy", let alone a tin-pot trophy (hell, I'd have taken the Charity Shield win in 1996!). Chelsea fans, on the other hand, have seen their team win several things in the past few seasons under Mourinho, but even before that, they won a cup every so often to keep the new generation of supporters aware of what it takes for Chelsea FC to win something.

We're not Chelsea, we're not Arsenal, we're not Man Utd (thankfully, we're also not Liverpool or Spurs either), so I find it increasingly infuriating when our own fans go off on one at the present incumbent about how they're not doing the job properly (latest example: Allardyce). With the exception of the older group of supporters, these people actually don't know what they're talking about. They're trying to instill something that works at another club (Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd, etc) into our club...in the same way that Allardyce has found out, it doesn't work like that.

Anyways, to stop this tangent going any further, I'll return to the original point

First Division/Premier League: 195455, 200405, 200506

Future expectations are fine, make them as grandiose as you like; however, we get chastised by the media and pundits by expecting too much in the present. No matter what your thoughts about Allardyce, 21 league games is no where near enough time for anyone to make a lasting impact upon a club.

Why is it that only Newcastle fans who get called fickle and are told we have unrealistic expectations ?

I have expectations about what I want from my team why the f*** shouldn't I and other Newcastle fans have high expectations are we the only set of fans who are told we shouldn't demand a bit of success and decent attacking football to watch ?

I don't want my team full of scufflers like Smith and Barton but want to see good players with skill who are worth the price of my season ticket.

Don't get me wrong I don't boo or leave games early but b@llocks to be being told we can't expect a lot better than what we have been served up with this season

We're supposed to know our place.

Personally i think Tottenham and Newcastle generally have attitudes to be admired, both have proper ambition, and that's what sport is about. I hate these people that are happy with mediocrity.

What?!, who expected that?!!  Nobody, the press pretend people expect that kind of thing in order to ridicule Newcastle fans, frankly I'm ashamed a so called fan would buy into it..

Buy into what?  I've read enough threads on this and other forums and heard enough comments at the match to know that there are a number of fans who have unrealistic short term expectations.  Surely nobody can deny that?

Guest Spurs_from_Africa

Because unfortunately, showing big ambitions means that you also apparently have delusions of grandeur. Just ask any spam fans about tottenham.  :lol:

Guest nufcfan76

I'll tell you why we have high expectations: our football team is our religion, our center of the city and of the people's identity (most people anyway). Very few places in the WORLD have that. Hell, I’m in the States and even I’ve seen what it means to people. We should expect the best after the HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS we've shelled out over the years and the time and effort that goes into living for the Toon. What has it all gotten us? Inconsistency, embarrassment, frustration, an empty trophy cabinet and missed revenue are just a few things. The answer is simple. Get the Special One.

If we get a top class manager and Mike Ashley decides to seriously back him with mega bucks I can see Newcastle scaring the shit out of some of the 'top' clubs. We all know the potential is there. We have the stadium and the fans. If we get the manager and the team to go with it......

To bring out our old friend NE5's European qualification history, this is why we should have expectations higher than looking to sneak a 1-0 at Derby.

Outside the big 4 we are the only English club to qualify for the Champions league more than once.

We have been in Europe more often than not since we got promoted to the Premier League.

We have finished 2nd twice, top five a further 3 or four times. Reached 2 cup finals, 2 FA cup semi finals and an UEFA cup Semi.

We might not have won anything ever (ish) but that recent record shows why we should expect a team to challenge at least for a top 6 finish season in and season out.

Though right now I would settle for a team who can pass to one another

To bring out our old friend NE5's European qualification history, this is why we should have expectations higher than looking to sneak a 1-0 at Derby.

Outside the big 4 we are the only English club to qualify for the Champions league more than once.

We have been in Europe more often than not since we got promoted to the Premier League.

We have finished 2nd twice, top five a further 3 or four times. Reached 2 cup finals, 2 FA cup semi finals and an UEFA cup Semi.

We might not have won anything ever (ish) but that recent record shows why we should expect a team to challenge at least for a top 6 finish season in and season out.

Though right now I would settle for a team who can pass to one another

Nail, head, hit on the.

Of course I'd love Newcastle to be challenging for the league each season and of course I don't want to resign myself to battling out for mid-table mediocrity every season; however, the more well-rounded fan can see that long-lasting success only comes through a well-structured club. Small steps that will allow us to grow into the 'top 4' (or top 5/6 as it may become) and remain there, rather than one or two seasons of silly-spending/unsustainable success (ala the Keegan era)

Guest thenorthumbrian

The press say we have unrealistic expectations with the implication that we are demanding the treble within a year of a new manager taking up their post, this is shite.

I have supported Newcastle for donkeys years and I don't expect us to be Real Madrid nor does any Newcastle fan I know and I know quite a few.

But that doesn't mean we have be docile and accept any old crap.

Just a team which goes out to try and play good football with players who are capable of passing and contolling a football and one or two who can lift you out of your seat with a level of skill you can only dream about.

Whats wrong with wanting to see players like Tony Green, Gazza, Beardsley, Ginola etc in black and white shirts ?

We've had players of that quality before why not again.

The Keegan era was brilliant and an exciting time to be a Newcastle United fan and anyone who rubbishes that period obviously can't remember what  state we were in before he took over. 

But thats the past and we must look towards the future, and that doesn't mean bringing back Wor Kev despite the affection and gratitude some of us will always have for the man.

The press say we have unrealistic expectations with the implication that we are demanding the treble within a year of a new manager taking up their post, this is shite.

I have supported Newcastle for donkeys years and I don't expect us to be Real Madrid nor does any Newcastle fan I know and I know quite a few.

Just a team which goes out to try and play good football with players who are capable of passing and contolling a football and one or two who can lift you out of your seat with a level of skill you can only dream about.

Whats wrong with wanting to see players like Tony Green, Gazza, Beardsley, Ginola etc in black and white shirts ?

The Keegan era was brilliant and an exciting time to be a Newcastle United fan and anyone who rubbishes that period obviously can't remember what  state we were in before he took over. 

But thats the past and we must look towards the future, and that doesn't mean bringing back Wor Kev despite the affection and gratitude some of us will always have for the man.

For 2007/08 see N'Zogbia, Charles.

The press say we have unrealistic expectations with the implication that we are demanding the treble within a year of a new manager taking up their post, this is s****.

For 2007/08 see N'Zogbia, Charles.

He couldn't lace any of their boots...

I have expectations about what I want from my team why the f*** shouldn't I and other Newcastle fans have high expectations are we the only set of fans who are told we shouldn't demand a bit of success and decent attacking football to watch ?

Personally i think Tottenham and Newcastle generally have attitudes to be admired, both have proper ambition, and that's what sport is about. I hate these people that are happy with mediocrity.

This hits nail on head - I also hate acceptance of mediocrity, disguised as 'support the lads, you fickle ba------s !'

This hits nail on head - I also hate acceptance of mediocrity, disguised as 'support the lads, you fickle ba------s !'

agreed to a point but there also has to be loyalty in the face of adversity