Ashley has failed Newcastle United.

Parky

Tbf alex I don't think my opinions have changed at all even if the chairman has, my opinion on the DOF set up is well known to anyone who's a regular on here. I'll write a more thought out reply when I get home.

It wasn't particularly aimed at you btw. Chomp all the same though :razz: ;)

What I find hilarious is that I know with absolute certainty that if this season we had still been under the old board, and the same decisions had been made, the very people who are now defending Ashley & Mort would be absolutely vilifying Shepherd for it.

is the correct answer

What I find hilarious is that I know with absolute certainty that if this season we had still been under the old board, and the same decisions had been made, the very people who are now defending Ashley & Mort would be absolutely vilifying Shepherd for it.

It's not so strange, Shepherd had used up any goodwill a long time ago. If Ashley and Mort make blunder after blunder with their decision-making they'll soon find support dwindling just like the old board. In the meantime you can either buy in and see if they deliver, or you can decide they don't know what they are doing and hark back to the Shepherd glory years.

the hilarious thing about this, is you seem to have convinced yourself that the new board have done better already

What decisions has Mort made that people would be kicking up over under Shepherd?

Sacking Allardyce after half a season, sacking a manager in the middle of a transfer window, not buying any players in January, appointing Dennis Wise as Director of Football, appointing a DoF that wasn't the manager's choice, going for Redknapp. Just off the top of my head. Fairly or unfairly I'm pretty confident Shepherd would have gotten criticism for all that (by that I acknowledge at least one of those wasn't neccessarily the chairman and/or owner's decision).

and thats without pausing for breath. Amazing you had to spell it out, or maybe not I suppose

What decisions has Mort made that people would be kicking up over under Shepherd?

Sacking Allardyce after half a season, sacking a manager in the middle of a transfer window, not buying any players in January, appointing Dennis Wise as Director of Football, appointing a DoF that wasn't the manager's choice, going for Redknapp. Just off the top of my head. Fairly or unfairly I'm pretty confident Shepherd would have gotten criticism for all that (by that I acknowledge at least one of those wasn't neccessarily the chairman and/or owner's decision).

Sacking Allardyce after half a season: what alternative was there in reality? Ashley decided to give him a go as opposed to sacking immediately, but if he wasn't convinced once it became clear it wasn't working, it made sense to get his own man in and make preparations for next season rather thasn hang around

January window: not always possible to get the players you want in such a short time.

Dennis Wise: criticism or no criticism, no one really knows how this will pan out. It might be a masterstroke or a mistake - only time will tell.

Redknapp: yes that was a cock up.

Wise - its a fucking joke, and you know it is.

Transfer window - toher clubs seem to be able to get players in. And our players are, in many positions, shit, so please don't use the "can we  get better in" response. Because yes, we could have, or we are fucked.

It's not so strange, Shepherd had used up any goodwill a long time ago. If Ashley and Mort make blunder after blunder with their decision-making they'll soon find support dwindling just like the old board. In the meantime you can either buy in and see if they deliver, or you can decide they don't know what they are doing and hark back to the Shepherd glory years.

the hilarious thing about this, is you seem to have convinced yourself that the new board have done better already

I'm not convinced of anything, but will give the benefit of the doubt until I know better. If you can tell me for definite that we are doomed to failure next season under the new regime and why I'll listen, otherwise your conjecture's no better than mine really.

Sacking Allardyce after half a season: what alternative was there in reality? Ashley decided to give him a go as opposed to sacking immediately, but if he wasn't convinced once it became clear it wasn't working, it made sense to get his own man in and make preparations for next season rather thasn hang around

January window: not always possible to get the players you want in such a short time.

Dennis Wise: criticism or no criticism, no one really knows how this will pan out. It might be a masterstroke or a mistake - only time will tell.

Transfer window - toher clubs seem to be able to get players in. And our players are, in many positions, shit, so please don't use the "can we  get better in" response. Because yes, we could have, or we are fucked.

I don't know anything about Wise joke or not, if you do then please enlighten.

I don't think we are fucked either so I don't really want stop gaps if they aren't better than what we've got.

I'm not convinced of anything, but will give the benefit of the doubt until I know better. If you can tell me for definite that we are doomed to failure next season under the new regime and why I'll listen, otherwise your conjecture's no better than mine really.

Except, mine isn't "opinion".

The highest 3 consecutive league positions in 50 years is a FACT AND NOT OPINION As is also the FACT that only 4 clubs have qualified for europe more than us in the last decade, and also in the last 15 years. Your "opinion" may tell you different if you like but I prefer to go by facts.

Cheers

Absolutely.

The highest 3 consecutive league positions in 50 years is a FACT AND NOT OPINION As is also the FACT that only 4 clubs have qualified for europe more than us in the last decade, and also in the last 15 years. Your "opinion" may tell you different if you like but I prefer to go by facts.

Cheers

6th, 2nd and 2nd is better but I'd settle for 4th, 3rd and 5th now, our 2nd best 3 consecutive finishes in the last 15 years.

Cheers

6th, 2nd and 2nd is better but I'd settle for 4th, 3rd and 5th now, our 2nd best 3 consecutive finishes in the last 15 years.

Well, you think challenging for promotion from the old 2nd divison is a golden era don't you.

I meant to say the only 3 consecutive top 5 finishes, but you know this, its been said enough, but ignored by people who can't bring themselves to admit its true.

I've said this before. I find it very very odd that you appear to have an agenda against the people who have gave this club the best league positions, best footballers, most european qualifications, and most ambition in living memory.

If you don't then admit my above comment is true.

Well, you think challenging for promotion from the old 2nd divison is a golden era don't you.

I've said this before. I find it very very odd that you appear to have an agenda against the people who have gave this club the best league positions, best footballers, most european qualifications, and most ambition in living memory.

The comment above is true and I don't think anybody has ever said it wasn't, my comment is also true, the three finishes you mentioned were bettered a few years earlier.

The comment above is true and I don't think anybody has ever said it wasn't, my comment is also true, the three finishes you mentioned were bettered a few years earlier.

there is no point bickering about this. I understand that you find it impossible to give Shepherd the credit for anything. My point is 3 consecutive top 5 finishes, which is fact.

Me ? I see the board as a whole between 1992 and 2007, as I've always said. They were all responsible as a board for the good and not quite so good times, but I don't have an agenda against an individual.

there is no point bickering about this. I understand that you find it impossible to give Shepherd the credit for anything. My point is 3 consecutive top 5 finishes, which is fact.

Me ? I see the board as a whole between 1992 and 2007, as I've always said. They were all responsible as a board for the good and not quite so good times, but I don't have an agenda against an individual.

The only agenda I have is wanting our club to do well.  I've given Shepherd credit for the ground, the training ground, the 3 finishes and even the appointment of Allerdyce, which looked a good appointment at the time, I will not ignore or thank him for what he did wrong.

Cheers

Have we been here before?

Cheers

and your "opinion" is that these facts aren't facts, correct ?  mackems.gif

Cheers

true enough they are facts,as is the fact we'd been going backwards at a fair old pace for a couple of years.

factalicious.

Cheers

"Facts" which dont tell the full story, or are a true reflection of the clubs actual position. What a load of bollocks. You can state stats and "facts" till the moon turns to cheese but if you cant use them with the correct perspective then they are in essence, meaningless, its exactly what you are doing, and its actually laughable that you belittle other peoples opinions when they show the same level of wieght that your crappy facts do.

"7 European qualifications in 10 years" holds about as much weight as "we were in decline"

Cheers

"Facts" which dont tell the full story, or are a true reflection of the clubs actual position. What a load of bollocks. You can state stats and "facts" till the moon turns to cheese but if you cant use them with the correct perspective then they are in essence, meaningless, its exactly what you are doing, and its actually laughable that you belittle other peoples opinions when they show the same level of wieght that your crappy facts do.

"7 European qualifications in 10 years" holds about as much weight as "we were in decline"

It's a fact that Fatso hired Souness who dismantled the least decent team we had under SBR. It's a fact that Shepherd preferred whoring abroad because he didn't think much of the local canines. Facts, facts facts. Why hold opinions when there's so many handy facts flying about?

Here's an interesting fact: The new chairman is slimmer than Fat Fred therefore it could be argued that he carries less weight in the boardroom. FACT.

A ringing endorsement for the fat bastard if ever there was one.

Cheers

It's a fact that Fatso hired Souness who dismantled the least decent team we had under SBR. It's a fact that Shepherd preferred whoring abroad because he didn't think much of the local canines. Facts, facts facts. Why hold opinions when there's so many handy facts flying about?

Here's an interesting fact: The new chairman is slimmer than Fat Fred therefore it could be argued that he carries less weight in the boardroom. FACT.

A ringing endorsement for the fat bastard if ever there was one.

Fatso - and his major shareholders - did inteed hire Souness, don't forget his major shareholders though.  Glad you forget all about the previous 7 years which didnt' of course happen.  mackems.gif

As for the rest. not a single bit of it has any relevance whatsoever to how the team perform on the football field and how ambitiously a chairman and board run their football clubs.

Like I said, these sort of comments don't half make me smile.

Cheers

I can guarantee you one thing fredbob, if the club follows the path of spending little money and relying on young players which you trumpeted on about as being the way to go only a few weeks ago, we will decline at a massive rate while waiting for all these young players to mature into the new Gazza.

Cheers

true enough they are facts,as is the fact we'd been going backwards at a fair old pace for a couple of years.

factalicious.

I'm very happy you're so naive to think everybody who ever reaches a top 4 place kept it forever  bluelaugh.gif

On the "business" side of things - I am also pleased you call the stadium expansion and building of the new training ground etc to be a sign of major decline.

As far as I can see this thread started with the question (and I paraphrase), "Did Ashley get the timing of Allardyce's sacking wrong?" It has developed into a debate, again as far as I understand it, about whether Ashley (and Mort) lack the necessary ambition to improve the club (or as some see it to continue to manage as effectively as the board of the plc, as was) so that it reaches its potential.

IMO if the timing of the sacking was wrong, it's only because it should have happened much, much earlier.

As for the secondary debate concerning the continuing development of the club it seems to me that the following are relevant:

Ashley has bought the club with his own money.

Ashley has settled debt with his own money.

The club is either now financially secure or more secure than it was before the debt was settled.

Ashley is a hard-nosed businessman who either wants to sell the club on at a profit, or is behaving in a more or less altruistic way. In either case there is no benefit to him of leaving the club in a worse position than he found it.

He has appointed staff so that the club has its own structures in respect of scouting thereby avoiding the situation where, if a manager leaves, the scouting network goes with him. I think Spurs and Chelsea have similar structures.

He has made money available to Keegan in amounts with which Keegan is satisfied will allow him to improve the team's performance in the coming seasons.

The main threat to us is relegation brought about by the performance of the manager appointed by the previous chairman. It's difficult to see who Keegan could have bought in the time that he had.

We will see if the new owners match the Champions League qualification of the old owners, including the 3 highest consecutive league positions in 50 years.

There are plenty of players who moved in the transfer window, but you can believe otherwise if you have some sort of agenda.

You have a talent for stating the obvious, 'We will see if the new owners match the Champions League qualification of the old owners, including the 3 highest consecutive league positions in 50 years.' Indeed we will should we live long enough.

There are plenty of players who moved in the transfer window. Some, I believe, from Brentford to Gillingham.

Do you think, given his not inconsiderable financial outlay, that, irrespective of the performance of any board over the last fifty years or so, Ashley is a metaphorical turkey voting for an early Christmas? This is what essentially underpins your argument, isn't it, given my remarks above?

speaking of turkeys  :coolsmiley:

BTW, you missed Swindon to Newcastle, and spurs to Pompey, and Pompey to man city, bolton to Chelsea, and a 12m brazilian to the smoggies.......

So, to cut to the quick, do you think Ashley is the metaphorical turkey?

Show your workings, you may get a few extra marks.

Well, you inferred no good players moved to other top premiership clubs. I showed you were wrong didn't I.

Not really surprised you didn't comment on it.

You continue to state the obvious. Of course players were transferred.

So, is Ashley a turkey?

of course I state the obvious, in the hope you will get it. You can't argue with facts, or most sensible people wouldn't anyway.

As for turkey, I meant you. Maybe ostrich would be better though. You insinuated nobody transferred players apart from Brentford and Gillingham. I showed you to be wrong, so whats the problem, can't you admit you were making stuff up to suit an agenda you have ?

Sorry, been tucked up. I won't respond to this one as it amounts to just a bit of personal insult, not much more.

As for the other response above I don't think that I've ever argued that "Hall/Shepherd" was all bad. I've simply pointed out the last five years. Freddie was past his 'best before'. I've seen nothing cogent from you to the contrary. The time had come for a change.