Ashley has failed Newcastle United.

Parky

Ferdinand was indeed sold as part of the politics of going PLC, instigated by Sir John Hall and with the influence of a man called Mark Corbridge who was hired to give assistance in maximising the valuation of the club and the mechanics of the flotation.

No he wasn't, the club sold Ferdinand because they thought it was good money for a player of his age, when Shearer got injured they asked him to stay but he'd already given his word to Spurs and wanted to keep it.

The club didn't want money for the PLC either, they needed the money because they owed the bank £6 million they had borrowed to sign Shearer and were told they couldn't borrow any more until they had paid that back, they made the majority of this by selling Holland, Huckerby and Kitson 6 months before Ferdinand left.

No he wasn't, the club sold Ferdinand because they thought it was good money for a player of his age, when Shearer got injured they asked him to stay but he'd already given his word to Spurs and wanted to keep it.

The club didn't want money for the PLC either, they needed the money because they owed the bank £6 million they had borrowed to sign Shearer and were told they couldn't borrow any more until they had paid that back, they made the majority of this by selling Holland, Huckerby and Kitson 6 months before Ferdinand left.

Can you remember Dalglish on Sky after the game at Goodison when he was asked about the Ferdinand sale?  He said something like not knowing anything about the Ferdinand sale.

Guest elbee909

Can you remember Dalglish on Sky after the game at Goodison when he was asked about the Ferdinand sale?  He said something like not knowing anything about the Ferdinand sale.

Did he also say something later about not wanting to sell Asprilla, then sold him?  Can't remember.

And you believe what a manager says on Sky. Come one, you know better than that.

Keegan was told that he was required to sell a player to balance the books and maximise the flotation price. Everton [Joe Royle] had bid 6m for Ferdinand and he was unhappy at the prospect of selling him. So he had a meeting with Douglas Hall who said if you don't want to sell Ferdinand then don't sell him then.

Later ie that summer, Dalglish sold Ferdinand. He chose to keep Arsprilla [wrong decision irrespective of one great night] because he was still under pressure to sell a player ie see some of the players he bought ie Rush, Barnes, all a big change from buying quality players in their prime or their youth as had previously been the policy.

The underlying point remains though Mick. Ferdinand didn't want to leave the club, he only left because the club had indicated he wasn't wanted anymore. It could have been that Dalglish actually saw it as a good deal for a player his age, if that is the case then it actually means it was a managerial decision ie the way it ought to be, but still financially rooted.

Did he also say something later about not wanting to sell Asprilla, then sold him?  Can't remember.

it seems that he initially wanted to keep Arsprilla. I remember Ray Harford was on sky at that time, and they asked him what Kenny would think of Arsprilla. He said immediately that he would want to keep him at the club and was a "great player". On that basis it would suggest that Kenny later realised Arsprilla wasn't what he initially thought and so sold him on. Simple as that really, when he got a good fee he let him go.

what has being a mackem got to do with it Mick ?

Pop Robson called a press conference and told the press that he wanted to leave Newcastle because they were "unprofessional".

A short while later, he had left for WEST HAM

I mentioned it to show how loyal he'd been to his hometown club.

You had also mentioned how "they wanted to leave the club they supported," to be fair to you it was intended at the other 3, of which one was also a mackem. 

I know what you meant, but Venison, Bracewell, Howey all played for the mackems, Steve Howey was also a sunderland supporter. Stan Anderson captained sunderland then moved to Newcastle and captained Newcastle. Once they put the shirt on it doesn't matter and sometimes they become mags, and vice versa [if the mackems had ever bought any of our best players ie Bob Moncur and Tommy Gibb only moved for the last years of their career and I know for a fact that Tommy Gibb looks for Newcastle results before anybody elses]

are we in agreement they have failed the first test now ?

Are you asking if Keegan is a s*** manager?

Hahaha, now this response should be interesting.

not much point in conversing with Mick, there are loads of unanswered posts from me that he hasn't replied to. I'm pleased for you that you appear to think Mort and Ashley have done GREAT this season, and we haven't been embarrassed about ANYTHING.

As for this particular question, step forward macca888  mackems.gif

We're essentially talking about sacking a manager at the wrong time imo (transfer window), consequently not refreshing the first team and bringing in a man who has been out of the game completely for quite some time.

We're essentially talking about sacking a manager at the wrong time imo (transfer window) and bringing in a man who has been out of the game completely for quite some time, who consequently decided against refreshing the first team .

Fixing your post that way I completely agree with you. I can't see why Keegan would come in the first place if he was told he wasn't going to be backed.

We're essentially talking about sacking a manager at the wrong time imo (transfer window) and bringing in a man who has been out of the game completely for quite some time, who consequently decided against refreshing the first team .

Fixing your post that way I completely agree with you. I can't see why Keegan would come in the first place if he was told he wasn't going to be backed.

I for one won't be blaming Keegan if we go down. The seeds were sown last summer, Allardyce is the first manager to complain about lack of backing from his board since, eeeerrrr......before the Halls and Shepherd, in fact. Or Keegan, from Sir John Hall, when he walked out after the swindon game.

I agree with your comment above ie that he wouldn't have taken the job if he hadn't been shown ambition, but we will see in time how much will be shown when it comes to the crunch. Lets hope this is right, but if we go down it won't be much good. He'll have to get us straight back, and thats a year wasted at least.

They have to at least equal those champions league finishes, in my eyes. They have to meet the challenge of their time, there is no way out of this comparsion. I'm not bothered in the slightest if they are "good blokes" at all, I couldn't give a toss I just want a winning football team.

I for one won't be blaming Keegan if we go down. The seeds were sown last summer, Allardyce is the first manager to complain about lack of backing from his board since, eeeerrrr......before the Halls and Shepherd, in fact. Or Keegan, from Sir John Hall, when he walked out after the swindon game.

I agree with your comment above ie that he wouldn't have taken the job if he hadn't been shown ambition, but we will see in time how much will be shown when it comes to the crunch. Lets hope this is right, but if we go down it won't be much good. He'll have to get us straight back, and thats a year wasted at least.

They have to at least equal those champions league finishes, in my eyes. They have to meet the challenge of their time, there is no way out of this comparsion. I'm not bothered in the slightest if they are "good blokes" at all, I couldn't give a toss I just want a winning football team.

There's a Freddie Shepherd appreciation website, you should post there. www.fatbastard.com 

If you will not be blaming Keegan who will you blame?

You mention Allardyce complaining about the "lack of backing," I'm sure he said they weren't acting quickly enough, he also later thanked Ashley and or Mort for allowing him to spend the most money he'd ever had in 1 window, did you forget that?

I wonder how Roeder felt when he was allowed to spend less than Allardyce and Roeders spending was over a longer period of time?