Ashley has failed Newcastle United.

Parky

not enough to pay the salaries of the players he really wanted to sign though ?

I expect you'll ignore this.

I bet you can prove that, not.

Anyway, you're getting into a bit of a corner in this so I'll try and leave it if you are willing to do the same.

I know you care about the club but I honestly think you'll gain a little satisfaction if it goes tits up and you get to say "I told you so."  I'd prefer to say that to you and I really think it will take the shine off things for you if I'm able to say it to you because we've done well.

That's the way you come over on here, rightly or wrongly.

what are you on about ? They all had enough money to succeed, thats what matters. There's more to it than just transfer fees anyway, its the salaries to the top players, who will go elsewhere if someone else offers more. Maybe our woeful summer and some of the s*** cheap signings is down to that. 

If that's the case then so did Allardyce, end of thread.

the only ones i really remember were sidwell and ben haim.

any proof of your theory there ?

As far as I can see this thread started with the question (and I paraphrase), "Did Ashley get the timing of Allardyce's sacking wrong?" It has developed into a debate, again as far as I understand it, about whether Ashley (and Mort) lack the necessary ambition to improve the club (or as some see it to continue to manage as effectively as the board of the plc, as was) so that it reaches its potential.

IMO if the timing of the sacking was wrong, it's only because it should have happened much, much earlier.

As for the secondary debate concerning the continuing development of the club it seems to me that the following are relevant:

Ashley has bought the club with his own money.

Ashley has settled debt with his own money.

The club is either now financially secure or more secure than it was before the debt was settled.

Ashley is a hard-nosed businessman who either wants to sell the club on at a profit, or is behaving in a more or less altruistic way. In either case there is no benefit to him of leaving the club in a worse position than he found it.

He has appointed staff so that the club has its own structures in respect of scouting thereby avoiding the situation where, if a manager leaves, the scouting network goes with him. I think Spurs and Chelsea have similar structures.

He has made money available to Keegan in amounts with which Keegan is satisfied will allow him to improve the team's performance in the coming seasons.

The main threat to us is relegation brought about by the performance of the manager appointed by the previous chairman. It's difficult to see who Keegan could have bought in the time that he had.

We will see if the new owners match the Champions League qualification of the old owners, including the 3 highest consecutive league positions in 50 years.

There are plenty of players who moved in the transfer window, but you can believe otherwise if you have some sort of agenda.

You have a talent for stating the obvious, 'We will see if the new owners match the Champions League qualification of the old owners, including the 3 highest consecutive league positions in 50 years.' Indeed we will should we live long enough.

There are plenty of players who moved in the transfer window. Some, I believe, from Brentford to Gillingham.

Do you think, given his not inconsiderable financial outlay, that, irrespective of the performance of any board over the last fifty years or so, Ashley is a metaphorical turkey voting for an early Christmas? This is what essentially underpins your argument, isn't it, given my remarks above?

speaking of turkeys  :coolsmiley:

BTW, you missed Swindon to Newcastle, and spurs to Pompey, and Pompey to man city, bolton to Chelsea, and a 12m brazilian to the smoggies.......

So, to cut to the quick, do you think Ashley is the metaphorical turkey?

Show your workings, you may get a few extra marks.

Well, you inferred no good players moved to other top premiership clubs. I showed you were wrong didn't I.

Not really surprised you didn't comment on it.

You continue to state the obvious. Of course players were transferred.

So, is Ashley a turkey?

of course I state the obvious, in the hope you will get it. You can't argue with facts, or most sensible people wouldn't anyway.

As for turkey, I meant you. Maybe ostrich would be better though. You insinuated nobody transferred players apart from Brentford and Gillingham. I showed you to be wrong, so whats the problem, can't you admit you were making stuff up to suit an agenda you have ?

Sorry, been tucked up. I won't respond to this one as it amounts to just a bit of personal insult, not much more.

As for the other response above I don't think that I've ever argued that "Hall/Shepherd" was all bad. I've simply pointed out the last five years. Freddie was past his 'best before'. I've seen nothing cogent from you to the contrary. The time had come for a change.

now. Being ready for a change is a completely different argument altogether to saying someone has done a s**** job and been a s**** chairman, major shareholder, whatever you want to call it.

The question is that it is yet to be proven the new board are better. If they are, we are quite lucky, meaning those Champions League qualifications are about to be repeated, or hopefully bettere. We won't bother mentioning that so far, they have shown nothing like it.

Thanks for this.

I don't think that I've said that Shepherd was a shit anything in toto. My argument has always been that his sacking of SBR showed a lack of nerve and a lack of judgement. Since that sacking, while he regained his nerve (it was brave to recruit Owen and appoint Roeder) his judgement remained lacking (vide signing of Owen and appointments of Souness and Roeder).

The appointments of Gullit and Dalglish were 'good'. He could not have had any idea (none of us did) how shit they would turn out to be.

For the period since he sacked SBR he firmly carries the can. We are where we are today because of this time.

Anyway, you're getting into a bit of a corner in this so I'll try and leave it if you are willing to do the same.

I know you care about the club but I honestly think you'll gain a little satisfaction if it goes tits up and you get to say "I told you so."  I'd prefer to say that to you and I really think it will take the shine off things for you if I'm able to say it to you because we've done well.

I can't prove anything any more than you can.

I could be flippant here, and say that as you think our board pre-1992 was "just the same" as the one after, then you are the one who wouldn't mind too much if we are relegated. But because I think it is quite clear that that they were absolute shite, and we have had a good board ever since this time that have left the club miles and miles superior to how they found it, I can state quite categorically that it would be, in my view and backed up by everything I say, a total disaster.

Thats not the way you come across, its what you actually say.

Why are you ignoring the point about Gazza, Waddle and Beardsley. This is the 3rd time

I could be flippant here, and say that as you think our board pre-1992 was "just the same" as the one after, then you are the one who wouldn't mind too much if we are relegated. But because I think it is quite clear that that they were absolute s****, and we have had a good board ever since this time that have left the club miles and miles superior to how they found it, I can state quite categorically that it would be, in my view and backed up by everything I say, a total disaster.

Why are you ignoring the point about Gazza, Waddle and Beardsley. This is the 3rd time

To be fair Waddle was, and remains, a complete and utter twat. 'You only get fish and chips in Newcastle'.

Both Gazza and Beardsley went for the money (with the board's support) but Beardsley also for the career.

I could be flippant here, and say that as you think our board pre-1992 was "just the same" as the one after, then you are the one who wouldn't mind too much if we are relegated. But because I think it is quite clear that that they were absolute s****, and we have had a good board ever since this time that have left the club miles and miles superior to how they found it, I can state quite categorically that it would be, in my view and backed up by everything I say, a total disaster.

To be fair Waddle was, and remains, a complete and utter twat. 'You only get fish and chips in Newcastle'.

Both Gazza and Beardsley went for the money (with the board's support) but Beardsley also for the career.

It's no different to when the board sacrificed Cole, Ferdinand and Ginola for the money, or when Hamman and Jenas were tempted elsewhere.

Oh well, I tried.   :rolleyes:

I've answered your question many times about those three so I suggest you go and look for one of them, you've even responded to at least one of my posts.

Waddle got the most stick I've ever seen a former player get when we played Spurs but you must know that as you will have been at WHL when we played them in those shit days, am I right?

Beardsley didn't because people understood why he left, not that any of that has anything to do with what is happening now.

Oh well, I tried.   :rolleyes:

I've answered your question many times about those three so I suggest you go and look for one of them, you've even responded to at least one of my posts.

Waddle got the most stick I've ever seen a former player get when we played Spurs but you must know that as you will have been at WHL when we played them in those shit days, am I right?

Beardsley didn't because people understood why he left, not that any of that has anything to do with what is happening now.

yes, but I asked WHY they left.

Beardsley was roundly booed and jeered when he returned to SJP with Liverpool by the way, and rightly so after waving to the Kop while in a black and white shirt, his future employers, and then denied he was about to leave and join them.

An utter disgrace, whatever his reasons for leaving.

The relevance is that local lads of this standing, never mind any player of this standing, don't see their futures at other clubs, a transformation brought about under the last board. Which I don't expect you to acknowldge as you wouldn't do that the last time either.

true, they WANTED to go, they wanted to leave the club they supported, because the club was shite from top to bottom.

Is the correct answer.

Preceded over a decade earlier by Pop Robson, who went to sodding WEST HAM............for the same reason

It's no different to when the board sacrificed Cole, Ferdinand and Ginola for the money, or when Hamman and Jenas were tempted elsewhere.

Cole and Ginola were sold by the managers at the time, it being his choice, rightly or wrongly it being the managers decision and that is the way it should be.

Ferdinand was indeed sold as part of the politics of going PLC, instigated by Sir John Hall and with the influence of a man called Mark Corbridge who was hired to give assistance in maximising the valuation of the club and the mechanics of the flotation.

Hamman fell out with the manager at the time during the FA Cup Final, and Jenas was also sold at the wishes of the manager of the time who replaced him with Parker, and it must be said, the agreement of the vast majority of the clubs supporters too. Neither of those 2 players are anywhere near the talent or the attachment to the club that Gazza and Beardsley had in particular, who are only equalled in that department by Alan Shearer, who stayed.

To be fair Waddle was, and remains, a complete and utter t***. 'You only get fish and chips in Newcastle'.

true, they WANTED to go, they wanted to leave the club they supported, because the club was s**** from top to bottom.

Is the correct answer.

Preceded over a decade earlier by Pop Robson, who went to sodding WEST HAM............for the same reason

which has nowt to do with now (as i doubt you'll find anyone who thinks fat fred and cohorts only done bad like you try to make out people think). if we had a gazza,waddle or beardsley in the last 3 or so years they would have gone the same way.

To be fair Waddle was, and remains, a complete and utter t***. 'You only get fish and chips in Newcastle'.

true, they WANTED to go, they wanted to leave the club they supported, because the club was s**** from top to bottom.

Is the correct answer.

which has nowt to do with now (as i doubt you'll find anyone who thinks fat fred and cohorts only done bad like you try to make out people think). if we had a gazza,waddle or beardsley in the last 3 or so years they would have gone the same way.

I doubt it.

Is the correct answer.

I doubt it.

why stay at a club obviously treading water ?.....then as now

In the modern era Carrick & Walker didnt join us at youth level because the club was/is still rotten.

no they didn't,they got better offers or preferred the set up elsewhere.

Alan Irvine ran a rotten Acadmeny it was despised by most of the local boys clubs. Get yourself to a Wallsend Boys club function & have a chat with Mr Carrick or any of the other bods from other boys clubs.

In the modern era Carrick & Walker didnt join us at youth level because the club was/is still rotten.

Alan Irvine ran a rotten Acadmeny it was despised by most of the local boys clubs. Get yourself to a Wallsend Boys club function & have a chat with Mr Carrick or any of the other bods from other boys clubs.

so they prefferred the set up elsewhere.

different to saying the club is rotten.

They prefferred elsewhere because Newcastle Youth System is/was rotten.

Newcastle messed Walker about and he went to Middlesbrough instead.

which is different to saying the club is rotten.

just think it's a heavy catch all phrase. the youth set up isn't as you'd like so the club is rotten.

Is the correct answer.

We've also been here before, mackem Pop Robson moved throughout his career, his longest single stay at any club was with us, the bloke moved between West Ham and his beloved Sunderland enough.

Robsons career was Newcastle from 1964 to 1971, then off to West Ham for 3 years then to the mackems (home town club) for just over 2 years then he was back to West Ham for 3 years, back to the mackems then went to Carlisle.

Edit, Waddle didn't support Newcastle, he supported the mackems.

Is the correct answer.

We've also been here before, mackem Pop Robson moved throughout his career, his longest single stay at any club was with us, the bloke moved between West Ham and his beloved Sunderland enough.

Robsons career was Newcastle from 1964 to 1971, then off to West Ham for 3 years then to the mackems (home town club) for just over 2 years then he was back to West Ham for 3 years, back to the mackems then went to Carlisle.

Edit, Waddle didn't support Newcastle, he supported the mackems.

what has being a mackem got to do with it Mick ?

Pop Robson called a press conference and told the press that he wanted to leave Newcastle because they were "unprofessional".

A short while later, he had left for WEST HAM

Is the correct answer.

I doubt it.

precisely. And why join a club if better clubs that are playing in europe etc want you instead ?

Is the correct answer.

I doubt it.

precisely. And why join a club if better clubs that are playing in europe etc want you instead ?

were you in a coma while the last couple of years passed ?

what has being a mackem got to do with it Mick ?

Pop Robson called a press conference and told the press that he wanted to leave Newcastle because they were "unprofessional".

A short while later, he had left for WEST HAM

I mentioned it to show how loyal he'd been to his hometown club.

You had also mentioned how "they wanted to leave the club they supported," to be fair to you it was intended at the other 3, of which one was also a mackem.