Shearer Wants Manager's Job

Guest Eires No. 1

The biggest positive for Shearer is that he would be given the time and people wouldn't be on his back as much.

The biggest negative for Shearer is that he has no managerial experience.

I don't know whether I would.

When people say it's unique here, it reminds me of parents insisting how special their child is.  It's not bloody Mars.  99% of what needs doing is the same as would need doing anywhere else.

We had all this 'unique challenge' as the reason for appointing Roeder.

Souness who has managed in football places like Glasgow, Liverpool & Lisborn refered to Newcastle as being like in charge of Latin club. It is not what needs doing that is different.

I can understand why your parents insisted on calling you special

Guest elbee909

When people say it's unique here, it reminds me of parents insisting how special their child is.  It's not bloody Mars.  99% of what needs doing is the same as would need doing anywhere else.

Souness who has managed in football places like Glasgow, Liverpool & Lisborn refered to Newcastle as being like in charge of Latin club. It is not what needs doing that is different.

Yes, Souness, he's the man to consult when it comes to football management.

I could understand why yours left you in a box by the side of the A19. :)

The biggest positive for Shearer is that he would be given the time and people wouldn't be on his back as much.

The biggest negative for Shearer is that he has no managerial experience.

I don't know whether I would.

I don't know if we've got much of a choice.

If he comes in we need someone to hold his hand. People are calling for Keegan, but i think he's out of touch and there really isn't much Shearer could take from him anyway, however someone like Houillier who's at the end of his career and wouldn't mind a cushy number with small pressure, then that would be a good duo and i'd be more than happy.

No objections about shearer getting the job,he`ll have money to spend and knows what we want out of Newcastle United Football Club.

He`ll also be given more time to get it right and the fans will have more patience with him unlike previous managers.

Not on football management but he knows what it likes to be in place that has a bit more edge to it than most.

:clap2:

Yep. I think its time we just give him the job to see what he can do - be it good or bad I think in the long run it will do the club good as his shadow will continue to loom. Sadly its the press that always bring his name up and they will continue to do so until he has done the job.

Literally no one out there who fits the bill. I am terrified its now going to be Mark Hughes.

Guest elbee909

Not on football management but he knows what it likes to be in place that has a bit more edge to it than most.

:clap2:

Probably because people end up hating him, poor Graeme. :)  I think the most important thing is that Souness doesn't come back <shudder>

Guest sicko2ndbest

EXCLUSIVE: Newcastle will turn to Shearer as Redknapp stays at Portsmouth

EXCLUSIVE by SIMON MILHAM - More by this author »

Last updated at 11:14am on 12th January 2008

Comments

Alan Shearer is still the front-runner to replace Sam Allardyce in the managerial hotseat at Newcastle after Harry Redknapp revealed he is staying at Portsmouth.

Speculation had suggested Newcastle were ready to offer Redknapp a four-year deal worth £20 million to take over and it was widely believed the former West Ham boss would accept.

Allardyce axing leaves Newcastle searching for latest 'chosen one' with holidaying Shearer tipped for post

But Redknapp has opted to stay at Fratton Park after rejecting advances from Newcastle to become their new boss, according to reports.

The 60-year-old had been the favourite to take over from Allardyce and Sky Sports News claim he held talks with the Tyneside club last night.

However, after considering the move overnight, Redknapp arrived at Pompey's Eastleigh training ground this morning - the team are due to depart for the north-east to play Sunderland tomorrow - and told reporters he was staying with the club.

Speculation had suggested Newcastle were ready to offer Redknapp a four-year deal worth £20 million to take over and it was widely believed the former West Ham boss would accept.

Even Portsmouth chief executive Peter Storrie, who drove the manager away from the media circus which had gathered outside the club's training ground yesterday, admitted they would not stand in the way should Redknapp want to go.

"Harry is our manager and Harry is the way we see things going forward here. If Harry comes to us and says he really, really wants to leave Portsmouth Football Club then that is a different scenario," he said yesterday.

Mail Online has learned that Toon legend Shearer is still very much in the running to take the reins.

Unnamed sources close to the directors of the club admitted that Shearer was always high on their shortlist and that remains the case.

"The directors are looking closely at the situation but his appointment would appeal to fans.

"One of the main reasons that Michael Owen is at Newcastle is because of Shearer's influence. He will attact big name players," said the source, who did not wish to be identified.

"Alan Shearer is still very much a part of the directors' plans."

Probably because people end up hating him, poor Graeme. :)  I think the most important thing is that Souness doesn't come back <shudder>

We are not churning throught managers because this is a really cushy number it is hard place to work. Well no one would Souey back apart from himself as we do good payoffs.

Guest Andrew Flintoff

Looks like it's all we have left. I'm beginning to think I want Shearer so that we avoid Hughes, McClaren, Venables etc

Shearer should cut a deal with Ahley like 'I'll take over until the end of the season for nothing' that would take all of the pressure of him in terms of failure  and give him a look at the job. All winners no losers

Shearer should cut a deal with Ahley like 'I'll take over until the end of the season for nothing' that would take all of the pressure of him in terms of failure  and give him a look at the job. All winners no losers

Give owa! 

Too early for Shearer far too early. If I were Ashley/ Mort I would n't even consider appointing him. Too many ties to the old regime at the moment.

Al needs to come out & clearly say if he would like the job. Staying silent is no help to the fans or the club but it does boost his sizeable ego.

I get the feeling that in Al's world he comes a long way first ahead of the club & the fans but he doesn't half know how to play the sheet metal worker's son from Gosforth line.

I understand that there are many different views on this. It is both the strength (and weakness) of all these internet forums and 24/7 Sky-Sports-News coverage, that so many different views (with their opportunity to influence your thinking) are imposed on us, causing confusion among what is probably an amazingly simple situation.

ALAN SHEARER IS THE MAN TO LEAD NEWCASTLE UNITED FC FOR THE NEXT 20 YEARS.

Who else could you EVER say that about?

Seriously?

Any other choice from amongst the available managers would not ever do that  -  would they?

Whether they were "European Cup winning" top foreign managers, or the (so-called) "cream of English managers" they would only be here short term, would be mercenaries (obviously, that's the way it is) and (in all probability, despite their pedigree and great CV) they would probably FAIL.

Alan Shearer is not just a "former great player" . .  that is the reason so many people give when arguing against him. They say - "a great player does not necessarily make a great manager".  VERY VERY TRUE!!  A good painter and decorator does not necessarily make a good accountant.  Yes, we all know that. That is obvious.

However, with Shearer, that ignores the many things that make up Alan Shearer that do not fit with that (very) simple statement (no matter how many times it is repeated) that DO uniquely apply to the (VERY unique) combination of - "Alan Shearer and Newcastle United" . . .

FIVE REASONS:

(1) Alan Shearers Character. He is a strong character, just look at his on-pitch behaviours, attitude, leadership, during his time with us and England. Just remember (as one simple example) how he faced down the tough-nut Keane and made him look and behave like a weak-minded idiot.

(2) Alan Shearers respect around the world, as a 'recent' top world player. How good that would be in attracting players of the TOP quality. (players that the likes of Allardyce and Redknapp and so many others, would never even get to speak to).

(3) Alan Shearers love of Newcastle United FC. It seems to me, when listening to him, that his feelings for the club are just like mine. They are just like yours too!!  He cares, just like we do - unconditionally and forever. Unlike you and me though  -  he is in a position to do something about it!

(4) Alan Shearer lives here because he wants to. Even the parochial, automatically biased Southern English press (aided by the riduculous Oliver guy) would not even be tempted to say  -  "Alan, what about the weather and the shops, would your wife not prefer to live in Basingtoke or Bogner???"

(5) Alan Shearer seems to have all the abilities needed to be very good at what the job requires (particulary, at THIS club) uniquely perhaps, amongst the many football players that have retired in recent times. Those are rare qualities in any walk of life, that make him different. 

FINALLY:

It is so true that "a great player does not necessarily make a great manager".  BUT, when it appears that there is one who would  -  and it is almost specifically ONLY at OUR club  -  then we should . . . .  GO FOR IT !!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion . . .

Guest Eires No. 1

I understand that there are many different views on this. It is both the strength (and weakness) of all these internet forums and 24/7 Sky-Sports-News coverage, that so many different views (with their opportunity to influence your thinking) are imposed on us, causing confusion among what is probably an amazingly simple situation.

ALAN SHEARER IS THE MAN TO LEAD NEWCASTLE UNITED FC FOR THE NEXT 20 YEARS.

Top post

Who else could you EVER say that about?

Seriously?

Any other choice from amongst the available managers would not ever do that  -  would they?

Whether they were "European Cup winning" top foreign managers, or the (so-called) "cream of English managers" they would only be here short term, would be mercenaries (obviously, that's the way it is) and (in all probability, despite their pedigree and great CV) they would probably FAIL.

Alan Shearer is not just a "former great player" . .  that is the reason so many people give when arguing against him. They say - "a great player does not necessarily make a great manager".  VERY VERY TRUE!!  A good painter and decorator does not necessarily make a good accountant.  Yes, we all know that. That is obvious.

However, with Shearer, that ignores the many things that make up Alan Shearer that do not fit with that (very) simple statement (no matter how many times it is repeated) that DO uniquely apply to the (VERY unique) combination of - "Alan Shearer and Newcastle United" . . .

FIVE REASONS:

(1) Alan Shearers Character. He is a strong character, just look at his on-pitch behaviours, attitude, leadership, during his time with us and England. Just remember (as one simple example) how he faced down the tough-nut Keane and made him look and behave like a weak-minded idiot.

(2) Alan Shearers respect around the world, as a 'recent' top world player. How good that would be in attracting players of the TOP quality. (players that the likes of Allardyce and Redknapp and so many others, would never even get to speak to).

(3) Alan Shearers love of Newcastle United FC. It seems to me, when listening to him, that his feelings for the club are just like mine. They are just like yours too!!  He cares, just like we do - unconditionally and forever. Unlike you and me though  -  he is in a position to do something about it!

(4) Alan Shearer lives here because he wants to. Even the parochial, automatically biased Southern English press (aided by the riduculous Oliver guy) would not even be tempted to say  -  "Alan, what about the weather and the shops, would your wife not prefer to live in Basingtoke or Bogner???"

(5) Alan Shearer seems to have all the abilities needed to be very good at what the job requires (particulary, at THIS club) uniquely perhaps, amongst the many football players that have retired in recent times. Those are rare qualities in any walk of life, that make him different. 

FINALLY:

It is so true that "a great player does not necessarily make a great manager".  BUT, when it appears that there is one who would  -  and it is almost specifically ONLY at OUR club  -  then we should . . . .  GO FOR IT !!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion . . .

Top post  :thup: