The pros and cons of appointing Alan Shearer

Guest Knightrider

Pros: As already mentioned, he understands the club and supporters and what it's all about, as an ex-player, a fan and a Geordie. A point my brother made is that if you look at the last 20 years, the managers who've done the best at NUFC are those that understand the club - Keegan and Robson. Going further back beyond 20 years, you could also include Joe Harvey. He would get a lot of support from the fans, and everyone would be on his side, and wanting him to succeed.

Cons:  That's massive pressure. Totally inexperienced as a manager, who knows how he'll turn out. History is littered with great players who made crap managers. His criticisms of  Arsenal's attractive football makes me worry a little bit. It is a big, big risk.

Pros: As already mentioned, he understands the club and supporters and what it's all about, as an ex-player, a fan and a Geordie. A point my brother made is that if you look at the last 20 years, the managers who've done the best at NUFC are those that understand the club - Keegan and Robson. Going further back beyond 20 years, you could also include Joe Harvey. He would get a lot of support from the fans, and everyone would be on his side, and wanting him to succeed.

Cons:  That's massive pressure. Totally inexperienced as a manager, who knows how he'll turn out. History is littered with great players who made crap managers. His criticisms of  Arsenal's attractive football makes me worry a little bit. It is a big, big risk.

Whats he said about Arsenal

Guest Knightrider

Whats he said about Arsenal

He's actually said some pretty insightful stuff about their play, that if they want to win the league they are going to have to adopt a different attitude and game plan in certain games because no team these days can play that kind of football every game and get away with it and to be fair, we porved that with our 1-1 draw.

There are quite a few peos and cons, nearly all of which are pointles, as he hasn't managed before.

Poeple seem to have negativity towards him because they want to.

There is a huge chance that he could go on to manage this club for years to come, purely because he will have 99% of the fans on side from the start and that to me is the most important thing.

The only other person who could achieve that is Jose at the moment, anyone else will be a dead man walking.

i wonder what shearer's team would be with us, or what his general management style would be? would be interesting to speculate about this.

looking at his career and what he's said about it, i think his biggest influences would be dalglish and to a lesser extent venables, so is likely to take cues from them. venables was relatively innovative tactically and favoured players with intelligence, technique and flair, whereas dalglish was a straight forward, orthodox 4-4-2 man, utilising big-man, small-man combos up front, fast wingers, a defensive midfielder and an attacking one, but didn't have many flair players. looking at the game from shearer's perspective, he's likely to appreciate best the parts of their play that made his job - scoring goals - easier.

so chris sutton or mike newell doing aerial battling for shearer would stick in his mind - shearer was instrumental in the signing of ferguson under gullit as he wanted to resurrect the kind of partnerships he had before his major injury. though at the same time shearer has publicly criticised crouch as being immobile and not good enough for top level so that suggests he can see the limitations of such a figure. wilcox and ripley tearing down the flanks providing crosses would be another, two direct traditional wingers who get to the byline and cross it. i'd imagine he prefers that type of winger, perhaps over robert or solano. from venable's england tenure sheringham is most likely to stand out as a playmaking, deep-lying forward with class and vision who laid plenty on the plate for shearer (similar to viduka maybe?). naturally he'd have a number 9 in there, his good mate michael owen probably, even tho such forwards are in short supply in the modern game.

i wonder if he'd also appreciate robson bringing in bellamy, to be shearer's legs. that would certainly be relevant in the case of michael owen who may need a similar partner to do his running for him, an anelka or benjani type.

oh and if he has any sense about him he'd also learn from his spat with ruud gullit how not to man-manage a squad. tho his advice for rooney to 'stick one' on ronaldo isn't exactly encouraging, nor his apparent backing of souness in the bellamy spat. he's also slammed foreign players during those talk-ins, i can only remember albert and maybe solano as foreigners he had any kinship with (maybe im missing someone), and tormented poor alessandro pistone when he was here, so i'm not sure how he'll take to them as manager. then again approaching such players from the detached, objective viewpoint of the manager is different from the banter of being a fellow player and i'm sure he's aloof enough to maintain professional distance. he also needs to understand that not every player is as talented or dedicated as he was and that it is his paid job to deal with this, something roy keane is struggling with at sunderland, clarke carlisle just blasted him in the press.

i think what some of this shows is that the game has moved on since blackburn won the title or euro 96, when shearer was at his peak. i'm sure he knows this so its likely he has his own ideas about what tactics and methods will be successful nowadays and the only way we'll find out is if he is named manager.

he would be terrible in the transfer market.

Why?

i guarantee you he wouldn't of heard of half the players doing good things in Italy, Portgual, Spain etc.  Therefore i don't see many foreign signings and sticking to 'good, honest' players

Why?

i guarantee you he wouldn't of heard of half the players doing good things in Italy, Portgual, Spain etc.  Therefore i don't see many foreign signings and sticking to 'good, honest' players

"good, honest players".........that'd be a welcome change.

Why?

Smith, Butt, Milner would sit in that category.  Depressingly.

i won't say no to shearer managing us, we had so many managers how did they do.

he can't do any worse!

pros: bringin the passion back in the team, respect from the players and fans

cons: can't do any worse then the last few managers did here

Why?

Smith, Butt, Milner would sit in that category.  Depressingly.

Good !! that would only apply to Milner.

Why?

You're a WUM