African Players...

Thespence

As they gorge on protein rich European diets they will become bigger, meaner and stronger. An offshoot super-race - the descendents of such players will roam the hinterlands of the major cities eating and growing and causing disruption to traffic.

http://www.2wglobal.com/www/Images/officesAgents/northAmerica.gif

Ground Zero

A lot of talk about moving the tournament to the summer so it's in line with the euro championships. Be feckin warm though.

every two years.

This is what bugs me. It should be 4 years.

Why?

Make it more prestigious.

An African player can realistically take part in 6 ANC's whilst he could only play in the world cup 3 times.

Don't you think that African football needs a bit more exposure?

Not, really. By that logic they should have the women's World Cup every fortnight.

:lol:

I just think that Africa needs to hold their continental championships more often than Europe or S. America to get a bit more attention/sponsorship than they would if were held every 4 years. Holding the ACN when, and as often, as they do raises the profile of African football and that can only be good for the sport in general.  :thup:

Not if it starts to limit the players' chances of getting moves to bigger leagues as the clubs can't afford to lose them though, which i think is beginning to happen as teams have become more dependent on their African contingent. Maybe now is the time to move the tournament as African football clearly does achieve a lot of exposure, hence the number of African players in the prem

Surely that's for the organisers of African football to decide, no?

Or do you know better?

Also would there be as many African players in the Premiership if they were not 'in the shop window' quite as often?

As they gorge on protein rich European diets they will become bigger, meaner and stronger. An offshoot super-race - the descendents of such players will roam the hinterlands of the major cities eating and growing and causing disruption to traffic.

http://www.2wglobal.com/www/Images/officesAgents/northAmerica.gif

Ground Zero

Isn't that Nord Amerika?

A lot of talk about moving the tournament to the summer so it's in line with the euro championships. Be feckin warm though.

every two years.

Why?

An African player can realistically take part in 6 ANC's whilst he could only play in the world cup 3 times.

Not, really. By that logic they should have the women's World Cup every fortnight.

I just think that Africa needs to hold their continental championships more often than Europe or S. America to get a bit more attention/sponsorship than they would if were held every 4 years. Holding the ACN when, and as often, as they do raises the profile of African football and that can only be good for the sport in general.  :thup:

Not if it starts to limit the players' chances of getting moves to bigger leagues as the clubs can't afford to lose them though, which i think is beginning to happen as teams have become more dependent on their African contingent. Maybe now is the time to move the tournament as African football clearly does achieve a lot of exposure, hence the number of African players in the prem

Or do you know better?

Also would there be as many African players in the Premiership if they were not 'in the shop window' quite as often?

No, actually, it's for me to decide, i am the ruler of Africa and by proxy the ruler of all football that takes place there, thus i will be moving the tournament going forward, i just decided to voice this in the form of someone hypothosising on a newcastle forum...

As for the shop window argument, i understand that, i was offering my view as the flipside. It's chicken and egg, you can very easily argue both sides.

every two years.

Why?

Or do you know better?

No, actually, it's for me to decide, i am the ruler of Africa and by proxy the ruler of all football that takes place there, thus i will be moving the tournament going forward, i just decided to voice this in the form of someone hypothosising on a newcastle forum...

As for the shop window argument, i understand that, i was offering my view as the flipside. It's chicken and egg, you can very easily argue both sides.

:laugh:

every two years.

Why?

Or do you know better?

I think that the blokes who do matter have already given it a bit of thought. The fact so many African players are making a career in the sport proves, to me, that they're getting things right in general. It's Africa's tournament, they can hold it whenever, and as often, as they fucking like.

Don't like it? Tough shit.  :lol:

The tournament will not move to the summer, this is due to the inability to gain sponsership for a summer tournament.

This is because of the World Cup, European Championships and the Copa America all being held during the summer.

Is it not becasue its too bloody hot in most african countries to hold it in the Summer?

That is the main reason.

We have 4 players away, 4 first team players. We lost 6-0

Everton had two key players absent yesterday, they ground out a 1-0 win

Chelsea will miss Essien and Mikel to a lesser extent. With Anelka, Kalou won't be missed, Drogba will be obviously.

Reading had a few missing, they lost 3-1 (not a big surprise).

Arsenal were missing two key defenders and looked very shaky at times. Drew 1-1 at home.

Portsmouth sounded really poor today, lost 2-0 against the Mackems. They were missing 4 or 5 first team players.

I guess the best answer for all concerned would be take the Prem down to 18 teams and have a winter break like everyone else?

Perhaps??

But that's a different argument. African Internationals benefit from having every single June and July off, year in - year out. The fact that a handful of European clubs have to make do without a few players from it's squad's for about a month isn't reason enough to alter the African football calender imo.

To assume the world football calender should be organised to accommodate the Premiership, Serie A, La Liga and the Bundesliga is beyond arrogance. :)

I guess the best answer for all concerned would be take the Prem down to 18 teams and have a winter break like everyone else?

Perhaps??

But that's a different argument. African Internationals benefit from having every single June and July off, year in - year out. The fact that a handful of European clubs have to make do without a few players from it's squad's for about a month isn't reason enough to alter the African football calender imo.

To assume the world football calender should be organised to accommodate the Premiership, Serie A, La Liga and the Bundesliga is beyond arrogance. :)

So african teams don't play in the world cup now?!

Perhaps??

Apart from 4 African nations who play in the World Cup every 4th Summer for a month...

Perhaps??

Apart from 4 African nations who play in the World Cup every 4th Summer for a month...

As well as:

African countries will have to play their first four qualifying matches for the 2010 World Cup on successive weekends, FIFA said last Friday.

The first group phase of the qualifiers begin at the end of May and conclude in September.

:parky:

Perhaps??

As well as:

African countries will have to play their first four qualifying matches for the 2010 World Cup on successive weekends, FIFA said last Friday.

The first group phase of the qualifiers begin at the end of May and conclude in September.

If you hadn't have told me, I'd have never have known.....

Hence my earlier assertion that African football needs more exposure. :)

Perhaps??

As well as:

If you hadn't have told me, I'd have never have known.....

Hence my earlier assertion that African football needs more exposure. :)

So should they move the qualifiers to Jan / Feb sort of time? Get them all away from the Euro championship, like!?

THEY should move them to whenever is convenient for THEM, if THEY think THEY need to move them at all... It's up to Africa to decide and everyone else to deal with it.

As followers of NUFC, we've got no right whatsoever to tell an entire continent when and when they shouldn't be playing football. We aren't nearly that important. To think otherwise is ridiculous. :)

THEY should move them to whenever is convenient for THEM, if THEY think THEY need to move them at all... It's up to Africa to decide and everyone else to deal with it.

As followers of NUFC, we've got no right whatsoever to tell an entire continent when and when they shouldn't be playing football. We aren't nearly that important. To think otherwise is ridiculous. :)

:coolsmiley:

I'd just drawn up a petition to get you guys to sign as well... You've blown my entire scheme out the water. It's like my life's work, down the drain  :-*

I'd just drawn up a petition to get you guys to sign as well... You've blown my entire scheme out the water. It's like my life's work, down the drain  :-*

Righto.

You are right there, but I dont think international teams should have the right to play players whom have club commitments at the same time.

Given that ANC occurs on odd numbered years, why not just create a compulsory 6 week domestic fixture break every other January, and get the European clubs to play all of their international qualifiers in the same period?

You are right there, but I dont think international teams should have the right to play players whom have club commitments at the same time.

Given that ANC occurs on odd numbered years, why not just create a compulsory 6 week domestic fixture break every other January, and get the European clubs to play all of their international qualifiers in the same period?

Depends if you see footballers as products or people.

So we should have shut down the Premiership, La Lia, Serie a et al this year for the next 6 weeks. Returning to action at the end of Feb?

Depends if you see footballers as products or people.

I cant see employers in any other industry paying their workers to go and work abroad for someone else for six weeks.

I'd just drawn up a petition to get you guys to sign as well... You've blown my entire scheme out the water. It's like my life's work, down the drain   :-*

Righto.

K, apologies for the sarcasm, i just think saying that i was telling an entire continent when they should play football is a bit extreme, i was merely suggesting it in light of the current problems that have arisen. I mean, your argument states of a need for more exposure but then you state it is arrogance to have the whole thing organised around the major leagues in the world. Surely if that's who the exposure is for then it would make sense to arrange around this? Now, i'm not saying they should / should not move the tournament, I am just saying that a lot of people, including the players, think there may be a better solution. As a bystander, i was solely offering a suggestion as to what might help, not demanding changes, i thought the concept of such discussions was to offer such alternatives? I realise my view is of no influence whatsoever, otherwise i wouldn't be on here bandying it about!

I fully respect each and every continent / FA / team / player's right to their own view and to do things how they wish - doesn't necessarily mean i have to agree with them! I'm not trying to say English / European needs are greater, far from it, i'm just suggesting it might be right trying to work out a compromise - that would be good both for European and African football

So we should have shut down the Premiership, La Lia, Serie a et al this year for the next 6 weeks. Returning to action at the end of Feb?

Why not?

Given that over four weeks a year seem to get lost to international breaks, the season would only run for 2-3 weeks longer.

The federations should work out who has the rights to play the players, and the losing federation should be invited the choice to reschedule such that the best players are always on show.

Righto.

K, apologies for the sarcasm, i just think saying that i was telling an entire continent when they should play football is a bit extreme, i was merely suggesting it in light of the current problems that have arisen. I mean, your argument states of a need for more exposure but then you state it is arrogance to have the whole thing organised around the major leagues in the world. Surely if that's who the exposure is for then it would make sense to arrange around this? Now, i'm not saying they should / should not move the tournament, I am just saying that a lot of people, including the players, think there may be a better solution. As a bystander, i was solely offering a suggestion as to what might help, not demanding changes, i thought the concept of such discussions was to offer such alternatives? I realise my view is of no influence whatsoever, otherwise i wouldn't be on here bandying it about!

I fully respect each and every continent / FA / team / player's right to their own view and to do things how they wish - doesn't necessarily mean i have to agree with them! I'm not trying to say English / European needs are greater, far from it, i'm just suggesting it might be right trying to work out a compromise - that would be good both for European and African football

If the ACN were to be held in June/July then it would lead to several problems. One is the climate/geography of Africa. Another is the fact that the ACN would inevitably be competing with either the European or S. American Championships or the World Cup for viewers, sponsorship and attention from the rest of the world. Any club worth it's salt is going to have a squad of scouts in Ghana in the next few weeks. Watching games and looking at potential players. Not sure that would be possible if it clashed with Euro 2008 this summer.

Africa can hold their tournament/qualifiers whenever it likes no matter how many European fans complain about it. Deal with it. :)