Also ran managers

Guest Brazilianbob

Guest Brazilianbob

Why are we reported as only approaching mediocre mid table managers.  Why can't we approach the top of the table managers?  Are we too afriad of being knocked back? if you don't ask you don't get.  I accept any approach would be unlikely to succeed, but we do seem to be setting our sites too low.  I would go for Benitez as the bindippers seem to want rid, mainly because he wants dosh to build the side up, whilst the yanks are trying to flog the club.

Do you classify Houllier as an also-ran...?

In context, and in English football, yes.

Agreed. Really hoping this Shearer / Houllier link up that is being touted around is just media rumour mongering. If people think KK / Shearer would be bad, this would be a whole lot worse. One suspects they would agree on nothing and it would end in a lot of tears.

I really don't think we can afford to turn our noses up at someone like Houllier tbh. We could end up with someone much worse imo.

Do you classify Houllier as an also-ran...?

In context, and in English football, yes.

OK.  I accept that shy bairns get nowt, but perhaps we have tried the top managers and been knocked back, we don't know.

I'd be chuffed if we appointed a Mourinho/Lippi/van Gaal, but as we're all hearing everything as it develops, at this moment in time I'm happy that we've gone down the Houllier route rather than looking back at Hughes.

Hopefully one more (pleasing) twist will unfold.

That's a really good point made there, why not go to Benitez and make him an offer?  Imagine the owners of Liverpool when he says "Right you pair of muppets, I hate you and you hate me, you are trying to get me out.  I'll tell you what, I'll make it easy for you - I'm off.  Byeeeee"

Plus a manager like him would help us get the best out Enrique, I suppose!

That's a really good point made there, why not go to Benitez and make him an offer?  Imagine the owners of Liverpool when he says "Right you pair of muppets, I hate you and you hate me, you are trying to get me out.  I'll tell you what, I'll make it easy for you - I'm off.  Byeeeee"

why? because he is sh**e. look what he has done with all that cash and backing at liverpool, never even close to the titlerace. at valencia, even i could have lead that team to glory. would be much worse than the keegan/shearer combo imo.

dont really know about houllier tbh. got a real laugh at his time in liverpool, bringing in all sorts of bad signings, but he is way better than someone like hughes, arry and pearce. if we do bring in houllier, i dont think we can pair him with shearer though.

keegan/shearer just might have the ability to attract som great players, and we will be guarateed entertaining football. perhaps theyre also smart enough to bench smith, who knows?

Incredible that some people think we can actually attract the likes of Mourinho - Mort gets it spot on in his latest statement - we aren't a champions league team and haven't been in the top 10 in six of the last 10 seasons - why the hell would a top European manager want to come here when they can go to top club in Europe without nearly as much risk?

I mean Benitez, give me a break - Madrid have asked him to be their manager in the past and likely to look at him again.  After having managed a much bigger club in the Premiership, and with the possibility of going to somewhere like Madrid - why would Benitez come here????? ;D

why? because he is sh**e. look what he has done with all that cash and backing at liverpool, never even close to the titlerace. at valencia, even i could have lead that team to glory. would be much worse than the keegan/shearer combo imo.

dont really know about houllier tbh. got a real laugh at his time in liverpool, bringing in all sorts of bad signings, but he is way better than someone like hughes, arry and pearce. if we do bring in houllier, i dont think we can pair him with shearer though.

keegan/shearer just might have the ability to attract som great players, and we will be guarateed entertaining football. perhaps theyre also smart enough to bench smith, who knows?

Seems a bit weird you totally slate benitez then give Houllier credit. In my view Houllier is a very poor man's benitez.

Why are we reported as only approaching mediocre mid table managers.  Why can't we approach the top of the table managers? 

Maybe we are, but none of them are willing to come and wrestle with this car crash of a club at the moment?  We may well have to settle with someone who has enough of a hunger to manage a team like us in this league that they're willing to take on the huge baggage that comes with this job and out of those we could do much worse than Houllier with Al as his assistant.

Seems a bit weird you totally slate benitez then give Houllier credit. In my view Houllier is a very poor man's benitez.

houllier did alot more for liverpool than benitez have done (except for the lucky CL-win, playing the most boring football ever seen) and even with a massive kitty last summer, bringing in loads of players, he is failing their main goal again. not the man we need!

Why are we reported as only approaching mediocre mid table managers.  Why can't we approach the top of the table managers?  Are we too afriad of being knocked back? if you don't ask you don't get.  I accept any approach would be unlikely to succeed, but we do seem to be setting our sites too low.  I would go for Benitez as the bindippers seem to want rid, mainly because he wants dosh to build the side up, whilst the yanks are trying to flog the club.

Liverpool

* 2000-01 League Cup (3rd in the Premiership)

* 2000-01 FA Cup

* 2000-01 UEFA Cup   

* 2001-02 UEFA Super Cup

* 2001-02 FA Charity/Community Shield (Premiership Runners-up)

* 2002-03 League Cup (5th in the Premiership)

* 2003-04 - 4th in the Premiership

Olympique Lyonnais

* 2005-06 French League Championship and French equivalent of the Charity shield (League winner v Cup winner)

* 2006-07 French League Championship and ''                                                                                                          ''

Liverpool

* 2000-01 League Cup (3rd in the Premiership)

* 2000-01 FA Cup

* 2000-01 UEFA Cup   

* 2001-02 UEFA Super Cup

* 2001-02 FA Charity/Community Shield (Premiership Runners-up)

* 2002-03 League Cup (5th in the Premiership)

* 2003-04 - 4th in the Premiership

Olympique Lyonnais

* 2005-06 French League Championship and French equivalent of the Charity shield (League winner v Cup winner)

* 2006-07 French League Championship and ''                                                                                                          ''

End of thread.

As long as we stay up this season, which I am certain we will, the new manager for Newcastle will be bankrolled in a way we have not seen for many years, only my opinion based on the fact that Ashley wants to watch entertaining successful football - therefore needs to buy practically a full new team!

That said, most managers, whether they are currently managing Champions League clubs or not, surely would love the chance to put a team together that would be capable for bringing some success our way.

Sorry for continuing when the thread was clearly over...............