Revenge of the KBJs ( Keegan Bandwagon Jumpers)

GM
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I started supporting Newcastle not long before Keegan came here, So I guess I'll go for answer number 2. :)

By the way, you should be welcoming new supporters, not mocking them. :p

Chill Winston. It's all in the best possible taste. O0

Guest johnson293

I was born in '73, and followed Newcastle when I was bairn, but didn't start going to matches until '88, just as Gazza was coming through.

My older cousin took me to my first match - the FA Cup match against Wimbledon (lost 1-3) - was in the Gallowgate 'corner', and I was hooked! Though it was a bit too rowdy for me in there, so I started going with mates from school, and we stood in 'the scoreboard'!

Saw the relegation to Division Two through McFaul, Smith, Ardiles, and then Keegan.

So I went for option 1, and consider myself 'Pre-Keegan' (manager)!!

Started following Newcastle in the promotion season because I didnt really get into football untill I was 8 or 9. Quite late on because my dad wasnt really interested in football back then. I forced him into it by making him take me to game. He loves it now. I was always going to be a Newcastle fan though. Still got a little kids toon top that I had with Greenhalls on the front. Not sure what season it was from though.

Guest kev hutch

good evening lads, I've been a lurker for a while, but this is my first post, so hello would bea good starting point.

interesting thread, and nice to see some different views.

this has always been a bit of a touchy subject and often brought up by bitter red and whites, and is something I have been known to get a bit excited about from time to time. in my opinion, the fact is, unfortunately, the majority of the fans who go to st.james park nowadays could be described as bandwagon jumpers, if a bandwagon jumper is someone who starts going to the match when things are going well. it wasn't so long ago (showing my age now) that our average gate was around 13,000, and it was only when KK came to the club as manager for the first time that our attendances went through the roof. 29,000 crammed in for that game against Bristol City. I had this conversation yesterday with a mate of mine at work who was to young to be going to the match regularly the first time KK came as manager,  in my opinion the stadium, and our position as a 'big club', the fact that we continuously spend decent money on average players, the fact that when you go on holiday you see turkish barmen wearing black and white shirts, is purely down to the Keegan factor, and the fans that he brought back to St.James park from 1992 onwards. When we got promoted, and the stadium started to grow, going to the match was a whole different ball game. You couldn't stroll up to the turnstile at 2.15 on a saturday and expect to get in no problem, you had to have a season ticket, or buy a ticket weeks in advance. the impact of that is that those people who became season ticket holders in 93/94/95 are either still going, have passed tickets on their friends/family, or newcomers understand that the only way to be able to go to the match regularly is to have a season ticket (although this hasn't been the case over the last couple of seasons).

Myself, I'm not gonna pretend that I'm the worlds greatest Newcastle supporter. After years of following them home and away, I gave up my season ticket when Bobby was sacked. The reason? Years of false dawns, weekends being spoilt, midweek trips back from Crystal Palace and Coventry after another defeat, being constantly overdrawn, and deciding that I would rather spend my weekends doing something that I can control, and won't let me down so often. I still go to matches, more often than I would probably like to, but when its in the blood, its in the blood. It makes me laugh when friends of mine say that I shouldn't have an opinion on what happens at the club because I am not a season ticket holder, or because I don't go to away games. I'm gonna sound like my dad here, but I can remember the gallowgate corner throwing mars bars at Gazza and sausages at Chris Waddle, the corssbar being pulled down when we got relegated at home after a defeat to West Ham, shitting myself the lads jumped over my head to get on to the pitch in the play off semi final against the red and whites, and getting knocked out of the FA cup on penalties against Bournemouth. What followed under Keegan more than made up for all that, and for those who say 'you won nothing', so f***. Noone will take those years away from us, the football we watched, the palyers we signed, the goals we scored, the games we lost after battering teams for 89 minutes, and having a manager and a board with big enough balls to walk into Juventus Football Club to try and sign Roberto Baggio. For those of you young enough to have not seen it first hand, hold on to your hats, its gonna be fuckin amazing.

Guest elbee909

Highest attendance by year: 56,283 (1948)

Lowest attendance by year: 16,001 (1980)

Average post-war attendance: 34,349

Average top-flight attendance 36,698

Average 2nd Division attendance: 28,185

All-time attendance statistics

NUFC's attendance of 56,299 in Division Two during 1947-48 was an all-time national attendance record until the late '60's.

Highest attendance by year: 56,283 (1948)

Average attendance: 30,315

Average top-flight attendance: 33,127

Average 2nd Division attendance: 22,714

Individual attendance records

Biggest League attendance: 68,386 Vs Chelsea Division One (1930-31)

Biggest FA Cup attendance: 67,596 Vs Bolton 4th Round (1950-51)

Biggest League Cup attendance: 49,902 Vs Spurs Semi Final (1975-76

Biggest European attendance: 59,309 Vs RSC Anderlecht Fairs Cup 4th Round (1969-70)

Biggest wartime attendance: 54,954 Vs Man City

Biggest friendly attendance: 51,257 Vs Barcelona 2002-03

Biggest Testimonial attendance: 45,404 for Jackie Milburn (1966-67

Misc game attendance: 64,900 Football League Vs Scottish League (1947-48)

To be honest I couldn't get to many games when I jumped on the original Keegan bandwagon.  I was at school (13) and couldn't afford many tickets which you had to queue from 7am to get hold of anyway.  I must have went to about half the home games each season from 93/94.

As soon as I went into employment in 2000 (and expectations were low enough for me to jump up the waiting list) I got a Season ticket and haven't missed a home game since, so I'm more of a Robson bandwagoner.

I've certainly been to more miserable games than entertaining ones anyway.

Hard to believe it's my 15 year anniversary this year.

What was the programme called that he was on when he fell off his bike?

Superstars?

I think I was too young to see that one but I do remember Brian Jacks inventing a new way to do squat thrusts, using grease.

Brian Jacks was the Superstars Champion.

Guest Geordie_krispy

Well i remember being in junior school and pestering my dad to get me tickets to go to a game, first game i ever went to was vs West Ham  when Smith was still in charge.  I think we won 3-1, could've been 3-2, i remember julian dicks scored a pen for them but i have no idea who else scored... possibly Micky Quinn...  I remember Ossie being made manager, I remember Keegan coming back, i remember being gutted when he left (for some reason i came home from school and just put the teletext on, didn't know why then i read about it just as my dad came in from work and told me).

But i've not been to as many games as i'd like, and when i moved away to uni in '99 i probably ended up going to more games in the north west than at home.  But i moved back up and have tried to get a ticket when ever i could afford it, or manage to get a free one from work :)

KBJs are good for the club. The more fans watching games etc. the better. And they annoy soopafans so that's another plus point.