Duff

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

I know there has been a few topics on the Duffster, but i believe he suffering as a result of the development of the premiership. Firstly i want to look at him from a positive perspective so i will list his attributes

Pace - Not the quickest winger but sharp over 5 yards, so i will call this an attribute

Left Foot - Left wingers with a left foot are hard to come by (see spurs and England)

Attitude - I think he has a good attitude and i always believe he does his best

HOWEVER

His main attribute in his younger years was his pace (i know i listed this as a positive but it is also a negative), and he has in recent years lost that exceptional pace he used to have (see Owen). How many times have you seen Duff go on the OUTSIDE of a defender

He does not have a trick, no step overs, scissors or anything that is going to throw a defender off to such a degree that he is positively perplexed.

He does not whip a ball in (see Bentley, Beckham), he floats it, therefore Strikers have to generate their own power when heading the ball.

He has not got a particlularly good shot, if he was lining up from 25 yards would you be optomistic?

He is very one footed which means defenders will often show him inside as they know he wont hurt them

The Duff at Blackburn/Chelsea (1st season) is not the same Duff we have and i am gutted as he was one of my favourite players. I think he is about 28 now, and for a winger who relied so much on his pace, to further develop i think is a long shot. For him to have been taken off today with 2 other wingers on the park spoke volumes for me about how much this lad has lost.

As i said i am gutted as he truely was the next Ryan Giggs!

I think we'll see the best of Duff now. The ground he covered up to get in the position for his goal against Stoke, shows me he's got pace.

I'll give him more time to produce, as now he's playing for a manager who will EXPECT him to deliver, every game, on the wing. Kevin Keegan loves his wing play, and if he's not cutting it, he's out.

I expect him to do well under KK.

duffs main attribute was never pace but the ability to just do the right thing...the right move off the ball...the right pass...be in the right place.

bit like a shearer of the wing...2 years of injuries wont have helped. pleased he's here now and he'll be a bonus till the end of the season...then who knows ?

imo hes crap, ive said it so many times that he will never be the same player he was at blackburn and chelsea...

i would get rid of him and snap a few million out of anyones hand straight away if i was thee 'king kev'

imo hes crap, ive said it so many times that he will never be the same player he was at blackburn and chelsea...

i would get rid of him and snap a few million out of anyones hand straight away if i was thee 'king kev'

You seem to think a lot of players are crap thought ;)

He's played well since he's come back from injury, i've been very surprised. Zog left/Duff right ftw.

right now very happy with n'zogbia centre attacking midfield

Against Stoke maybe. He was dominated pretty easily today.

He's played well since he's come back from injury, i've been very surprised. Zog left/Duff right ftw.

you mean today he didn't dominate the game ?

that type of thing happens with half a team out.

Guest sicko2ndbest

duffs main attribute was never pace but the ability to just do the right thing...the right move off the ball...the right pass...be in the right place.

bit like a shearer of the wing...2 years of injuries wont have helped. pleased he's here now and he'll be a bonus till the end of the season...then who knows ?

I think you will find Duffs best attribute at Blackburn WAS his pace. I agree his other attributes included the ability to make good decisions, but doing this at pace like he used to and doing this whilst strolling are two very different animals

Duff will always do OK at Newcastle without ever becoming a fans favourite

I think you will find Duffs best attribute at Blackburn WAS his pace. I agree his other attributes included the ability to make good decisions, but doing this at pace like he used to and doing this whilst strolling are two very different animals

Duff will always do OK at Newcastle without ever becoming a fans favourite

yeah i suppose for some,like butt..."if you aren't fanatastic to start i'll hate you forever"

No, he was easily dominated. They coped with him very easily today i thought. He only had any real effect when he pushed out to the left occassionally for the last 20 minutes or so.

Such a massive waste if we keep him there long-term.

how many good games has he had?

stoke in midweek and west ham away last season...any others? not many if so

Mate, give him a chance under a good manager ffs.

You can't just write players off all the time man, we'd have two left.

Last season he was dogshite. This season he hasn't played BADLY once. Today was probably his lowest-profile game.

No, he was easily dominated. They coped with him very easily today i thought. He only had any real effect when he pushed out to the left occassionally for the last 20 minutes or so.

Such a massive waste if we keep him there long-term.

yup he was easy dominated....why ?2 men on him and limited options perhaps ?  could a decent central midfield solve this ie no bolton player marked rozenhal meaning they could double man elsewhere.

how many good games did n'zogbia have last season ?

agree, this season hes been pick of the bunch, duff hasnt played well(except 2 games) since hes joined us though and he has no future ahead of him..n'zogbia does hes much younger with more ability

plus there wont be room in the squad for duff when we sign messi, kaka, berbatov, henry, ronaldinho, c ronaldo  :cheesy:

Guest sicko2ndbest

MADRAS i love Duff, i think his attitude is first class and he used to be an exceptional player. I am not trying to knock the fella, simply belive he is not the player he used to be and unless something drastically happens, like him gaining a yard of pace, learning to shoot, or gaining a repertoire of tricks, i fail to see what he will bring to the team once we have a settled centre midfield, so Zog can go on the left!

agree, this season hes been pick of the bunch, duff hasnt played well(except 2 games) since hes joined us though and he has no future ahead of him..n'zogbia does hes much younger with more ability

plus there wont be room in the squad for duff when we sign messi, kaka, berbatov, henry, ronaldinho, c ronaldo  :cheesy:

if we sign them charles will be cleaning boots

ps  no thanks to ronaldinho

MADRAS i love Duff, i think his attitude is first class and he used to be an exceptional player. I am not trying to knock the fella, simply belive he is not the player he used to be and unless something drastically happens, like him gaining a yard of pace, learning to shoot, or gaining a repertoire of tricks, i fail to see what he will bring to the team once we have a settled centre midfield, so Zog can go on the left!

right now after seeing n'zogbia on the left and through the middle i believe the lad himself is right...his best position is through the middle

Just my own opinion but there was a reason that mourinho let duff go and I happen to think it was for similar reasons to geremi.  I'm not saying he is past it but I believe his best days are behind him, he lacks pace, aggression and gets physically pushed around. He clearly is a top professional and has a great attitude but I would personally be looking past him to the future this summer.  I hope to be proved wrong!