Berbatov

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Pretty much re-hashed news from days gone by, just with a Keegan slant on it. Would be great though, would love it, love it if we pipped them again!

Kevin Keegan wants Dimitar Berbatov

By Brian Mcnally 20/01/2008

Kevin Keegan wants to fight Sir Alex Ferguson for Spurs hot - shot Dimi tar Berbatov.

The Geordies' football Messiah saw his first game back in charge at Newcastle end in a lowkey 0-0 draw against Bolton.

But Keegan is plotting another transfer coup over the Manchester United manager Ferguson - and he has an ace up his sleeve.

The £26million-rated Berbatov is a lifelong Toon fan. The 26-year-old Bulgarian striker is at the top of Keegan's wanted list.

The widespread belief is that Berbatov will join Manchester United in the summer.

But, just as he persuaded Alan Shearer to snub Old Trafford and join the Geordies in 1996, Keegan wants to snatch Berbatov out of Fergie's clutches.

And Berbatov's mother Margarita revealed: "As a boy Dimitar used to sleep in his Newcastle shirt. It was that special to him.

"He told me it was his dream to play for Newcastle one day and wear the same shirt as Alan Shearer, who is my son's hero." The other signings Keegan has nominated include Rangers rightback Alan Hutton. He recently turned down a £7million move to Spurs and is also on Ferguson's wanted list.

Keegan would also like to bolster his team's rocky defence with the recruitment of Spurs defender Ledley King. The England centreback's injury problems may make that deal hard to clinch.

Keegan has spent the 16 months based in Scotland at his Soccer Circus business and one of his immediate targets will be Dundee United's Barry Robson. Robson is 29 and could be available in this month's transfer window. He's a hard-winning midfielder who will provide Keegan with more options in his team's floundering engine room. Keegan has also mentioned Geordie boy Michael Carrick as a future transfer target to owner Mike Ashley.

Manchester United will bve reluctant to sell the England star who slipped through Newcastle's clutches as a schoolboy when Keegan was in charge and made his name at West Ham.

Guest nufc_geordie

Keegan v Ferguson II, this could be fun if we are really going to try and challenge Man Utd for all of their transfer targets. Don't see it really but if Berbatov is really a Newcastle fan.........

I will take carrick for now though!

Berba is a class act but 30 million is a bit too much IMO. He would make an instant impact as he've got no player who can hold up the ball at the moment(Viduka maybe but he's not good enough at all and soooo slow).

Maybe we should go for Berba's compatriot Valeri Domovchyiski(spelling?). He's very promising forward I think...and 5 times cheaper than Dimitar. I really like Mort's style to bring in promising young players.

Berba is a class act but 30 million is a bit too much IMO. He would make an instant impact as he've got no player who can hold up the ball at the moment(Viduka maybe but he's not good enough at all and soooo slow).

Maybe we should go for Berba's compatriot Valeri Domovchyiski(spelling?). He's very promising forward I think...and 5 times cheaper than Dimitar. I really like Mort's style to bring in promising young players.

At the moment, bringing in "promising" players isn't what we need. I agree that for the long term it's something we should be doing.

Why not just buy both of them?

Berbatov IS worth £30m, because that's what someone will pay for him. If it stops Man United getting him then it'll be worth every penny.

now.. Berbatov is not worth 30m, but that's the way the market is right now..

even though he has supported Newcastle, Berbatov will reject us, as he'll simply have other better options ..

as for Domovchiyski, he's promising, but very far from Berbatov's standard.. i've actually played a few times against him, when i was younger and even at 15 you could see he stood up from the rest.

Valeri has a good technique, can shoot with both legs, quite pacey, but if he comes here, he'll struggle with the lack of service. My biggest frustration with him is that he seemed quite light-weight and defenders often battered him away from the ball, but this season he has improved massively on that.

i can't think of any similar brittish players to compare him with, but he's similar to Bojinov in many ways (not that you've seen what Bojinov is like yet)

He has been linked heavily with Blackburn all winter, but it looks like nothing will come out of that, as he can't get a work permit and it'd be hard for clubs to convince the FA that he's a world class youngster, as he's 21 now..

On the other hand, why would Berbatov join Man Utd where he'll be backup to both Tevez and Rooney? Berbatov would be offered first team football at Newcastle, is a Newcastle fan and in in terms of Chelsea supporters; WE'RE FU*KING LOADED!  :rolleyes:

Also why would Manu want him for £26m, i know you need a big squad when playing in Europe aswell as the other cups but surely spending £26m on a player who will most likely warm the bench is a bit of a waste. Manu have Saha on the bench so they would need to ship him out first. IMO Manu should be looking for a RB and perhaps another LB before a striker

Guest Knightrider

Berbatov is too similar to Rooney and Tevez, what they'll be looking for is a centre-forward to play ahead of those two and not another creative forward so I can't see Man Utd being interested in him now. Chelsea would be the only English team I reckon would be interested in him, and us of course. Although we stand no chance and I personally hope we show our interest elsewhere. He's good but he's not world-class and not worth the money being mentioned. Anything with KK is possible though...

Berbatov is too similar to Rooney and Tevez, what they'll be looking for is a centre-forward to play ahead of those two and not another creative forward so I can't see Man Utd being interested in him now. Chelsea would be the only English team I reckon would be interested in him, and us of course. Although we stand no chance and I personally hope we show our interest elsewhere. He's good but he's not world-class and not worth the money being mentioned. Anything with KK is possible though...

Besides, Chelsea just bought Anelka so I pretty much doubt they would want another striker. On the other hand its Chelsea we're talking about and they sort of buy anything on two legs..

Guest assyriantoon

Berbatov is the best player outside of the top four at the moment. I think he is as good as Bergkamp in his prime but I seriously doubt we can attract him.

Hutton would be excellent at that price.

I think we'd be the only prem club to tempt him out of Rangers simply due to location.

Carrick would be a good signing, but i wouldn't be paying anymore than £12m for him. Manu paid well over the odds.

As for Berbatov, he's a good player on his day, but is inconsistent and typically lazy, anything more than £18m and we need to look abroad.

Besides, Chelsea just bought Anelka so I pretty much doubt they would want another striker. On the other hand its Chelsea we're talking about and they sort of buy anything on two legs..

£40m Eto in todays papers for them (if Drogba goes)

Guest Knightrider

Under Keegan at least we can console ourselves that he will aim very high where players are concerned. I don't think we are in a position quite yet to attract such high calibre players of course but if he gets us moving again, not only will we become more of an attractive option but a lot of players will want to play for Keegan. Top top players home and abroad.

£40m Eto in todays papers for them (if Drogba goes)

Ignore my previous comment then. And here I thought they actually bought Anelka as cover for Drogba. I must be stupid.

Do any of you honestly think Berbatov is a realistic signing? If he leaves Spurs, it wont be to take a sideways step. He was a Shearer fan, not a Newcastle fan. He said he supported Blackburn when Shearer played for them.