Our current playing style!

BONTEMPI

After watching Sams awful excuse for football for most of the season how long do you think it will take Keegan to get us playing with style and flair?

Or is it a case of the players we have at present do not have the ability to implement it?

Thinking before the match with Bolton I wasn't expecting us to suddenly become a good side overnight, but I was hoping the players would be lifted enough to at least get a few shots on target!  Not 1 as it turns out.

It was almost as bad as the Derby away performance, not KK's fault but purely the players not making space for themselves and playing into channels where Bolton had ample cover!

Rozza seemed lost in midfield although he did get a little better 2nd half but still way off being a good player, Kev should have started with Lua Lua and at least get someone that can beat a couple of players to try and get the crowd rocking! As it was though we got more subdued as the match went on.

I think after the next 4 games we'll see a change start to take place, whether that be with new signings or not.

Up the toon!

I think Keegan will have an effect pretty quickly here, I think alot will depend on having more players to choose from though, Butt will be back for Arsenal so thats a big +.

Once he has had a full week with the squad we will see a big difference I reckon to the boring Big Sam football with a much more exciting passing game, but I am not expecting us to be any better at the back, thats going to tale time and more signings.

Although I'm sure we'll see improved football this season, I don't think we'll see true Keegan-esque football until next season.

Agreed

Was a major blow Viduka missing that game! Shola was shocking.

Pleased Cox is back mind, always liked the bloke and the players knew exactly what they should be doing!

At the minute they seem like strangers to each other so that's one area i'd be looking for to change before the end of the season.

After watching Sams awful excuse for football for most of the season how long do you think it will take Keegan to get us playing with style and flair?

Or is it a case of the players we have at present do not have the ability to implement it?

Thinking before the match with Bolton I wasn't expecting us to suddenly become a good side overnight, but I was hoping the players would be lifted enough to at least get a few shots on target!  Not 1 as it turns out.

It was almost as bad as the Derby away performance, not KK's fault but purely the players not making space for themselves and playing into channels where Bolton had ample cover!

Rozza seemed lost in midfield although he did get a little better 2nd half but still way off being a good player, Kev should have started with Lua Lua and at least get someone that can beat a couple of players to try and get the crowd rocking! As it was though we got more subdued as the match went on.

I think after the next 4 games we'll see a change start to take place, whether that be with new signings or not.

Up the toon!

I think you have a short memory if you thought it was nearly as bad as Derby away.

The intent that we played with was much better, and our retaining of possession was better, and the whole second half was spent in their half.

The problem was, we had no-one able/willing to try something to unlock the door, and that could come from Duff, Zog, or Milner but none of them had a particularly good game which is why we stuggled.

No it was! No invention, balls into the box were awful as was movement off the ball, just as stagnant as the Derby match.

Plus point is it can't get much worse than what it is now

There wasnt many long balls though!

There was a few I recall

Keegan needs to get the triangle passing back, I think that's the first thing he'll be going for.

most of them came from Roz. There was a hell of a lot less than there has been.

What was encouraging is that we tried to build from the back. Given was constantly playing it short. Unfortunately our defence and midfield are so used to playing the other way, it's going to take a while before they look as comfortable on the ball and have options to play the ball. I don't think Shola's lack of mobility particularly helped us further up the field, Zoggy doesn't get the space in the middle to run with the ball and honestly at the moment we have no-one available who can 'unlock' defences.

We've just got to give them time, but certainly in my opinion, despite the result, the way we played with the players available does give me hope for the not too distant future.

They've been told to do it the Fat Sam way for 7-8 months. Keegan had 2 days to show them his way.

The attacking intent and ball retention were infinitely better but we had 3 wingers and a CB in midfield so we were never going to be great.

I think we'll start looking the part after a couple of weeks, and when Emre returns to the midfield.

Guest mr quimbys beard

A few games is what it will take for things to start and improve, once the african lads are back and suspensions over and we sign a couple of players it should improve although i am looking to next season for things to really take off.

I think Butt in for Roz and if Smith was in for Shola it would have made a big difference. Even though some of Roz's long range passes were quality he did nowhere near enough for me.

If we can have Butt and Emre in CM with Zoggy left and Duff right I think we'll see a big difference in our playing style to be honest. The midfield seemed so stop start at times.

Under Sam we dropped off way to deep as soon as we lost the ball and it put more pressure on our defence, I think Keegan will change that and have our midfield and strikers closing down much higher up the pitch.

Pressure Arsenal alover the pitch and we may have a chance and at least getting a draw down there, we will see a lot less long ball football with Butt back to he will feed Zoggy alongside him, instead of Roze's long ball tactic.

Its not going to be fast and furious football straight away but King Kev will get us playing like that before the end of this season..

The style of football on Saturday was 100% better than what we've seen all season, and he's only had the players for two days. We won't see full-on Keeganesque football until well into next season (most probably), however Saturday was quite encouraging.

The style of football on Saturday was 100% better than what we've seen all season, and he's only had the players for two days. We won't see full-on Keeganesque football until well into next season (most probably), however Saturday was quite encouraging.

I agree, the difference in the passing range was incredible.

We got the ball on the floor and made an attempt to play football, it was like a Keegan era in its infancy. We got all the basics right, we just severely lack any cutting edge.

Butts long range passing may not be great but I think his short passing is good and I think he will feed Zoggy and the wide men far quicker than Rozzy which may see a more fluid quicker attack than we seen on Saturday evening.

Butt will have more composure on the ball in the middle than Roze did, a lot of Roze's long ball passes were more about getting rid of it than trying to create something, then when a couple of his diagonal balls found their targets he tried it even more.

Butt can just feed Zoggy and let him to to create something.

Enrique will have to be a lot more attack minded to, Carr is a Keegan style fullback very attack minded indeed, at times Carr over commits as we all know but Enrique needs to do a lot more going forward but I am sure he is capable of doing it.

What was encouraging is that we tried to build from the back. Given was constantly playing it short. Unfortunately our defence and midfield are so used to playing the other way, it's going to take a while before they look as comfortable on the ball and have options to play the ball. I don't think Shola's lack of mobility particularly helped us further up the field, Zoggy doesn't get the space in the middle to run with the ball and honestly at the moment we have no-one available who can 'unlock' defences.

We've just got to give them time, but certainly in my opinion, despite the result, the way we played with the players available does give me hope for the not too distant future.

Absolutely agree. I'd be screaming at the TV when he was hoofing it every single goal kick etc, previously in the season. I definitely can see the changes already, and it's only going to get better from here on out as well!

And to be fair, this Bolton side was about as negative as it gets in football. Completely awful to watch, and I hope to god they go down. That said, they came here for a draw, and they got it, so fair play to them. Fucking cunts...

I have to admit I'm quite surprised at some of the criticism that Roz seems to be getting. I thought he had one of his better games for us. Commentators for ESPN voted for him as MOM. I don't think it was a case of hoofing the ball, I thought he was composed,protected the back 4 reasonably well (though not by crucnhing tacklesala Smith)and some of his diagonal balls were the closest we came to unlocking Bolton.

Wouldn't mind seeing him in that position again even after Butt and Smith return

I'm surprised at the praiseof Rozehnal tbh. He still looked like a bag of nerves whenever the ball came towards him and i don't think he actually succeeded in one of those long balls, did he? He spooned them into the air with no real guile, other than the one for Owen in the first half, which was still too long.

I'm surprised at the praiseof Rozehnal tbh. He still looked like a bag of nerves whenever the ball came towards him and i don't think he actually succeeded in one of those long balls, did he? He spooned them into the air with no real guile, other than the one for Owen in the first half, which was still too long.

Twice he made a good diagonal pass  but one Duff tried to control with his head instead of his chest for some reason..

Some of his long balls were excellent, the problem was with Duff and Milner on the wings he would never be able to drop a ball in behind and expect them to get on the end of it, he played a 60 yard ball out to the right in the second half and anyone quicker than Milner would have got on to the end of it, I think Milner just managed to knock it out for a throw, another in the first half out to Duff who misjudged the flight of the ball and came in field to meet it, he ended up heading it out but if he'd kept his original position he could have headed it in front of himself and broke from there.

I thought his game was pretty good apart from a few blind passes without looking.

And that ball through to Owen with the outside of his left boot, that was fucking sublime.

Rozehnal looks a good footballer to me, any problems he's had so far have been more physical (he's not the strongest, is he?) and mental (the adjustment to the new surroundings, etc.)

Far too early to write off a bloke who is a full-time international for a nation of the quality of Czech Republic if you ask me.