No signings = relegation?

Guest Brazilianbob

Guest Brazilianbob

I am now getting seriously concerned that we will go down this season without the lift of a least one class signing. With Woodie rejecting us for Spurs, and thats a first for quite some time where the two clubs have been after the same player, I cannot see the squad getting the massive lift they need to kick on and gain confidence.

It's all very well KK saying we will only sign players who are better than what we have, but signing players who are on a par, but have a strong belief in their own ability to win matches would be an improvement on what we currently have.

It's confidence we need not better players, and looking at our fixture list I cannot see where that confidence is going to come from given the almost certain string of defeats we will experience between now and the end of the season.

I honestly think Ashley left it too late to sack Allardyce, who should have been long gone before Xmas, and our fate is virtually already sealed, bar a string of miracle results.

posted similar the other day and some people ridiculed, some people agreed

what i'd say is looking at our remaining fixtures if it was down to us to play our way out and get enough wins to catch someone up we'd be doomed

as it is there's probably a liitle too much to be done from teams below to get themselves above us so we'll likely stay up on that basis

Guest nufc_geordie

I think talk of relegation is extremely premature. The first half display yesterday showed that there is quality there and some of the football played was excellent. What happened second half I don't know but for 45 minutes we were the equal of Arsenal. You might not see any promise in that but I do. We have 8 teams below us, Derby and Fulham have effectively gone, so that leaves 6 teams, that have to overhaul what is already a 7 point gap, that are as bad as each other and will take points off each other.

We only need 10 points from

Wigan

Birmingham

Reading

Sunderland

Fulham

Middlesbrough

And we could lose every other game and be safe  :idiot2:

I think the situation is the same as for the last three seasons - relegation is a possibility but not likely because there are worse teams below us.

We'd all hoped that things would push on this season, but it looks like it's not to be.

I'd agree though, that we should be trying hard to bring in one or two players now in order to be safe.

I think the situation is the same as for the last three seasons - relegation is a possibility but not likely because there are worse teams below us.

We'd all hoped that things would push on this season, but it looks like it's not to be.

I'd agree though, that we should be trying hard to bring in one or two players now in order to be safe.

Do you think the failure to push on is due to the change of manager?  Newcastle had Allardyce, a confirmed 4-5-1 man, boring tactically, long ball, solid defensively.  So SA started to buy the type of players he needed for his system.  Allardyce gets sacked, KK comes in, a manager who couldn't be more at the opposite of the managerial spectrum, 4-4-2, attacking football, we'll score more than you will.  KK's problem is that he hasn't got many of the type of player he needs to play the style he wants to.  I agree survival this season is assured but there will have to be (imho) wholesale changes to the squad in the summer to get the players KK needs to get the style of play he'll be looking for.

I'm not saying the current squad consists of poor players, just not suited to KK's style.  If Benitez asked his squad to play in the Man Utd style Liverpool would very quickly look more ordinary than they do right now.

We only need 10 points from

Wigan

Birmingham

Reading

Sunderland

Fulham

Middlesbrough

And we could lose every other game and be safe  :idiot2:

this....

:frantic: oh no, we are getting relegated!!! oooooh... go to bed again! ;D

Like I said in the other thread, no new signings is probably better if you take a long term view. Keegan will get to assess his squad and see where changes really need to be made. Milner's a prime example. Looks great on his day and Keegan might have been impressed, but has he got the bottle to make it to the top? Is Enrique a flop or will he settle to become a good player? You can't judge these things short term.

I'm trying to be realistic about things on the relegation front and not panic just yet.

I can see the logic that we have to play plenty of shite teams and should be areet because of that.

But.

Our form recently has been absymal. Which creates 2 major problems - We haven't picked up "easy" points against shite teams away or decent sides at home. And the players confidence will be shot to pieces.

We need a run of results now to solve those problems. But we have to factor another trip to the emirates and those Manc cunts coming up here. Two more games where the lads are likely to take a battering....

Do you think the failure to push on is due to the change of manager?  Newcastle had Allardyce, a confirmed 4-5-1 man, boring tactically, long ball, solid defensively.  So SA started to buy the type of players he needed for his system.  Allardyce gets sacked, KK comes in, a manager who couldn't be more at the opposite of the managerial spectrum, 4-4-2, attacking football, we'll score more than you will.  KK's problem is that he hasn't got many of the type of player he needs to play the style he wants to.  I agree survival this season is assured but there will have to be (imho) wholesale changes to the squad in the summer to get the players KK needs to get the style of play he'll be looking for.

I'm not saying the current squad consists of poor players, just not suited to KK's style.  If Benitez asked his squad to play in the Man Utd style Liverpool would very quickly look more ordinary than they do right now.

Bit more complicated than that. Allardyce brought in some of the players that he wanted, but he was still left with strikers who were more suited to a 4-4-2, when what he wanted was 4-3-3. He ended up batting between the two. Allardyce only had a limited amount of time, and wasn't the manager that the new owner wanted, so I think there was a lot of indecision in the transfer market which came to a head when the window opened again.

The squad suits Keegan's 4-4-2 more, but there's a lack of pace going forward so we find it difficult to break teams down.

Lack of guile in midfield as well as a lack of pace in the forward positions.

Put Adebeyor in our team and we might have won.

Maybe, but as someone mentioned yesterday iirc, a superstar striker would paper over the cracks in midfield.

Maybe, but as someone mentioned yesterday iirc, a superstar striker would paper over the cracks in midfield.

Agreed, the midfield needs attention as well. But Arsenal don't look half as dangerous when Adebeyor's not playing. He's transformed their side.

Agreed, the midfield needs attention as well. But Arsenal don't look half as dangerous when Adebeyor's not playing. He's transformed their side.

Oh yeah, he's a great player. He has everything and has given them another dimension this season because they can play a bit more 'direct football' when they feel they need to, whereas in the past they have had to rely on precise passing more. Of course they can still pass the ball beautifully on the deck.

It is the midfield where we are woeful. We desperately need a creative mid fielder who can open a defence with a pass for Owen/Martins to get on to. We need also pace as has been mentioned already and Viduka to stay fit for a run of games to feed the other strikers from either crosses or high balls into the front. I agree we need confidence again and a good signing might do the trick. It is going to be a sweaty end to another non-season for us.

It is the midfield where we are woeful. We desperately need a creative mid fielder who can open a defence with a pass for Owen/Martins to get on to. We need also pace as has been mentioned already and Viduka to stay fit for a run of games to feed the other strikers from either crosses or high balls into the front. I agree we need confidence again and a good signing might do the trick. It is going to be a sweaty end to another non-season for us.

Exactly the way not to utilise Viduka's strengths, as we've already demonstrated this season.

Exactly the way not to utilise Viduka's strengths, as we've already demonstrated this season.

How would you use Viduka's strengths ? I was not suggesting the long ball a la Allardyce by the way but ways to get the ball to our smaller strikers ie with a creative midfielder and cross balls