No signings = relegation?

Guest Brazilianbob

thought it was worth digging this up to see if any of the smart fuckers predicting it 'totally impossible' we could go down have anything to say now? 

start back at page one and read some of the s*** posted onwards, embarrassing man; would make you laugh if it wasn't fucken pitiful

What kind of thing is that to say? How the f*** could anyone have known back then that we would still not have won a game and would be 3 points off the bottom?

Cos we're s****?

I knew as soon as we didn't sign anyone in Jan we were f*****!

Should have paid the going rate for Barnes! Also should have tried for Defoe plus a defender.

All the muppets that said we shouldn't panic buy! I hardly think those targets were panic buys, just Mort f***** around for to long we ended up with nothing.

If we do go down this season, how f****** stupid will we look for not trying to strengthen?

Spend 10m in Jan or go down? I know which would cost us more.

didn't the messiah say it was his choice not to strengthen? 

the mort argument doesn't hold up in that case; our manager couldn't see that defoe scores goals, has pace, stays fit and was available for a decent price...he gambled on michael owen and alan smith

that criticism ignores the fact he also couldn't see our midfield is a fucken disgrace, of course

thought it was worth digging this up to see if any of the smart fuckers predicting it 'totally impossible' we could go down have anything to say now? 

start back at page one and read some of the s*** posted onwards, embarrassing man; would make you laugh if it wasn't fucken pitiful

What kind of thing is that to say? How the f*** could anyone have known back then that we would still not have won a game and would be 3 points off the bottom?

Cos we're s****?

Should have paid the going rate for Barnes! Also should have tried for Defoe plus a defender.

All the muppets that said we shouldn't panic buy! I hardly think those targets were panic buys, just Mort f***** around for to long we ended up with nothing.

If we do go down this season, how f****** stupid will we look for not trying to strengthen?

the mort argument doesn't hold up in that case; our manager couldn't see that defoe scores goals, has pace, stays fit and was available for a decent price...he gambled on michael owen and alan smith

that criticism ignores the fact he also couldn't see our midfield is a fucken disgrace, of course

Not really when Paul Jewell said we were no way near the valuation for barnes.

If Keegan was so happy why did he try and Hijack the woodgate deal in the last minute?

Keegan just came out with that statement because we'd failed on all accounts! That I put down to the chairman.

Cos we're s****?

Not really when Paul Jewell said we were no way near the valuation for barnes.

If Keegan was so happy why did he try and Hijack the woodgate deal in the last minute?

Keegan just came out with that statement because we'd failed on all accounts! That I put down to the chairman.

i took his comments to mean HE chose not to push the deals, i.e. the amounts we'd need to pay to get the players we asked about

kev stated money was available for players and we made moves for at least 2; in the case of barnes we were about the only team bidding right?  are you trying to tell me ashley wouldn't let kev spend say 6m on the lad?

doesn't add up...he took responsibility on his shoulders for the lack of players and will have to deal with that should the unthinkable happen, the difference barnes could make to us in the middle of the park would be scary, he's got everything our players lack

Guest Slippery Sam

Cos we're s****?

Can you give me Saturday's Lotto numbers please, smartarse. You 'knew' eh? Yeah, right.

The Giles Barnes deal was the only one I couldn't understand. If we wanted him we should have pushed it through. If he wasn't worth it, we shouldn't have been in for him in the first place.

Guest Slippery Sam

Of course, the signing of Giles Barnes would have propelled us into the top four. FFS! Some people need to get a grip.

If we go down then it was obviously a bad decision now to sign anyone however if we stay up then it was the correct one IMO, with the players availabe I'd have only wanted Woodgate and Anelka anyway. Barnes seems to be rated higher the more points we drop yet people ignore the fact he's been that poor this season he's struggled to get in the Derby team at times.

If we go down then it was obviously a bad decision now to sign anyone however if we stay up then it was the correct one IMO, with the players availabe I'd have only wanted Woodgate and Anelka anyway. Barnes seems to be rated higher the more points we drop yet people ignore the fact he's been that poor this season he's struggled to get in the Derby team at times.

You love having it both ways innit?  :razz:

Guest Hoop Blah

We've had an almost identical discussion on a Reading forum about not signing anyone in January and how that would lead to relegation.

Obviously the names we were discussing were a bit cheaper than those in this thread but the effects pretty much the same!

Isn't my first sentence correct though? If we don't get relegated then rushing out and buying players he doesn't really want would have been avoided which is surely a good thing. Either way I am fully behind Keegan's decision.

'I told you so' on us potentially getting relegated. Jesus wept.

fuck all to do with told you so really, i think we'll stay up by default as it happens and nobody WANTS us to go down for fucks sake

i get aggravated by the blind faith merchants who ridicule anyone that doesn't just think we'll win 'cause we're who we are...people were looking at the terrible, terrible mess we were in back in january and making predictions about what would happen based on reality not bullshit

they were looked down upon, sort of, as not real supporters 'cause they were asking questions and saying "this isn't right" or "that isn't right" instead of "there's no way we'll go down, there are worse teams than us" or some other trite shit about keegan that ignored everything in his managerial career since he left SJP the first time

as i said i think we'll stay up but it will have nothing to do with the actions of the board or manager since january onwards...

Of course, the signing of Giles Barnes would have propelled us into the top four. FFS! Some people need to get a grip.

top four, who mentioned that?  a midfielder with pace, energy and goals might have made a difference to our embarrassment of a mifield though?  no, OK, right i see, butt and barton it is then

as for "barnes hasn't been brilliant this season" correct me but he was injured early on in the season and since jewell came in has hardly played (except to score past us, AT HOME) while derby have been shit?

Cos we're s****?

Can you give me Saturday's Lotto numbers please, smartarse. You 'knew' eh? Yeah, right.

Being saying it from the start of the season plus the Jan window if you had cared to read my earlier posts and back up your statement.

Oh and they're 13-22-25-29-36-38  good luck son   :pow:

So we are allowed to express an opinion but not allowed to return to that opinion once the facts start to suppport it? Only people who are wrong can think like that.

For the record saying 'i knew it' is not the same as 'i told you so' either.

Also, given the nature of the events and their importance, people have every right to reiterate to people who thought we were too good to go down that perhaps their future assessments might need further consideration.

Barnes has 1 goal and 1 assist in the league all season I believe, any idea how many games he's started? 

Makes you wonder why we made an offer in the first place then?

Barnes has 1 goal and 1 assist in the league all season I believe, any idea how many games he's started? 

Makes you wonder why we made an offer in the first place then?

Baffling?  :laugh2:

We might have had some need for a player who can beat a man?

So we are allowed to express an opinion but not allowed to return to that opinion once the facts start to suppport it? Only people who are wrong can think like that.

Also, given the nature of the events and their importance, people have every right to reiterate to people who thought we were too good to go down that perhaps their future assessments might need further consideration.

I had been saying like many others on here back in the summer, that when we let Dyer and Solano go with no direct replacement we'd have an awful season, and that is the way it's panning out!

I'm not proud of the fact i'm right so far! Infact i'm mortified (no pun intended) it's happened to us.

Everybody has an opinion right or wrong, but either way you will get lambasted by somebody along the way just for the sake of it.

Think most in here just want a fight half the time, but aren't we all trying to pull in the right direction?

If anyone nonchalantly assumed we were 'too good to go down' they need to give their heads a shake anyway. I just thought it was a little simplistic to directly link the lack of signings to eventual relegation. We do have a better bunch of individuals than the results suggest (the Derby games ffs?), and without overhauling the entire first team (impossible in the last two weeks of January iyam) I can't see how the lack of signings is wholly responsible for our demise.

If anyone nonchalantly assumed we were 'too good to go down' they need to give their heads a shake anyway. I just thought it was a little simplistic to directly link the lack of signings to eventual relegation. We do have a better bunch of individuals than the results suggest (the Derby games ffs?), and without overhauling the entire first team (impossible in the last two weeks of January iyam) I can't see how the lack of signings is wholly responsible for our demise.

overhauling?  a stiker (say defoe) plus two midfielders (ay barnes plus one defensive for sake of argument) was not beyond the realms of possibility yet we didn't do anything...the original argument wasn't "not signing an entire team = relegation" was it?  those three signings, asuming they weren't shit, would have made a massive difference

nor is it wholely responsible, you're right; signing an out of touch, one dimensional manager is another factor i'd attribute

Would Keegan buy another striker when he had Owen back fit and Martins away at the ACN who he'd never even seen in the flesh?

I've not seen enough of Barnes to say whether he would have changed us, but he's hardly been making the headlines has he?

I know those are only examples btw.

This board is seperated between two types of people. Those who are looking at the past and complaining about why we are in this situation and those who are trying to remain positive to help the club stay in the league.

If you predicted that we would be dragged into the dog fight then good for you but please just get the "i told you so" out the fucking way because it is doing absolutely nothing to help.