No signings = relegation?

Guest Brazilianbob

Is Barnes worth £4M like?

I'd raise an eyebrow at giving them £2M.

I thought he was worth that in the Championship last season, now they are in the prem, in the winter window £4m is nowt.

What English talent with potential can you get for £4m? Prices are crazy these days, £4m is nothing really, couldn't even pay Owen for a year.

Broken a foot since then and only started 11 games this season.

Wouldn't be so much against a pay as you play deal like.  We've been a real soft touch on transfers though.

In the past we have, we've made some right howlers, but we've also missed out when other clubs have taken a chance.

Darren Bent? We wouldn't pay £2m for him. I remember this place laughing their tits off at SBR for wanting him, and taking the piss out of him that he can only sign players from Ipswich. Charlton did the season after for £5m or so and people thought they were mad, bargain at that price.

Dean Ashton was another £2m player we didn't take the risk on. Season later Norwich did for £3m, again another bargain.

And my fav miss out Ashley Young. Again in Watford's promo season a £4m would have taken him to our club, we again missed out, i'm not sure if we even scouted this one, we should have, it makes you wonder what our scouts get paid to do. (again talent was obvious, i remember having some in depth discussion with Gejon about him over and over, we could both see the talent)

Barnes is the next one for me to be missed out on. Whoever takes the chance, probably WHU, will get a bargain. Derby won't hang on to him when they go down, but there will be a lot of interest at the end of the season for him, i just hope if its not us he's not going to be another £10m+ English player we missed out on.

I'd rather take a chance on young English talent than bring expensive players from the continent who simply couldn't care less about the club or even know a thing about it. Those are the real gambles, and those are the ones that very rarely pay off for us.

Spurs weren't guaranteed a place in Europe next year before Woodgate went there FWIW.

Thought they were, being runners-up in the CC at the very worst?

There is no place for CC runners-up. It goes to the next place in the league.

I have been Mosleyed. (sp?)

In the past we have, we've made some right howlers, but we've also missed out when other clubs have taken a chance.

Darren Bent? We wouldn't pay £2m for him. I remember this place laughing their tits off at SBR for wanting him, and taking the piss out of him that he can only sign players from Ipswich. Charlton did the season after for £5m or so and people thought they were mad, bargain at that price.

Dean Ashton was another £2m player we didn't take the risk on. Season later Norwich did for £3m, again another bargain.

And my fav miss out Ashley Young. Again in Watford's promo season a £4m would have taken him to our club, we again missed out, i'm not sure if we even scouted this one, we should have, it makes you wonder what our scouts get paid to do.

Barnes is the next one for me to be missed out on. Whoever takes the chance, probably WHU, will get a bargain. Derby won't hang on to him when they go down, but there will be a lot of interest at the end of the season for him, i just hope if its not us he's not going to be another £10m+ English player we missed out on.

I'd rather take a chance on young English talent than bring expensive players from the continent who simply couldn't care less about the club or even know a thing about it. Those are the real gambles, and those are the ones that very rarely pay off for us.

Bent hardly gets a game at Spurs

Ashton hardly starts at West Ham

Young could turn out canny.

All mini Shola's if you ask me.

Darren Bent turned us down tbf but I know what point you're making, I just don't think Barnes is that good and has been a let down when he's played at this level, that's not to say he won't be a good player in future and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the move here in the Summer, either that or the club has their eye on that Czech lad instead.

And my fav miss out Ashley Young. Again in Watford's promo season a £4m would have taken him to our club, we again missed out, i'm not sure if we even scouted this one, we should have, it makes you wonder what our scouts get paid to do.

Bent hardly gets a game at Spurs

Ashton hardly starts at West Ham

Young could turn out canny.

All mini Shola's if you ask me.

Bent would get a game here, and would be quite decent.

Ashton's been unlucky with injury, no doubting his talent. You'd take him for £2m wouldn't you?

Young could be a real £20m+ class act.

Barnes i expect not to have the impact as Young, due to him not have the same pace, but i think he's an intelligent player and would be a creative outlet and something we could really do with.

SBR once said, we cannot afford or attract ready made players so we must go out and find those that are turning into them and get them in early and finish them off ourselves.

That's my opinion of where we should be heading, and always head.

You're the one saying he'd transform our results tbf.

Did I?

Touché. ;)

Why else are you arguing about him then?

I'm not arguing about anything. Just putting peoples stupid ideas about him in to touch.

Knocking a young lad for scoring only one goal in the league, when £60m+ worth of Manu talent can't do any better is fuking thick imo.

Barnes getting NUFC grief and he hasn't even become a toon player, its just amazing, it really is.

People aren't knocking him for being a young lad, they're knocking him because he's been brought up in this thread as someone we should have signed.

i think he was actually brought up as one of the two players we know we bid for, therefore it's safe to assume we wanted to sign him

there are obviously better midfielders throughout europe and the world, he's just the one we know keegan asked for

Which is a fair point.

KK thought he saw something in him, but for some reason we offered daft money, and guess what, its was greeted with a big KO.

Some defended the club by saying we were going for him on the cheap and would go back, but we didn't. I just do not get what's going on with that one, which makes the Barnes situation even more bitter for myself. He should have and could have been ours for relatively cheap money. It cost twice as much to sack SA FFS.

i've not seen that much of barnes but the parrells with dyer work on almost every level...when we paid 6m for dyer all those years ago he'd only played in the first division but excelled there, same as barnes, and there's nothing to suggest he'd not have struggled with ipswich when they were promoted a la barnes

we thought 6m on a fast, young player with potential was worth it then, why not now?

They only wanted £4m IIRC. We bid £2m

He's worth £4m anyday, its not a risk, he's 19 and would easily full fill £4m worth of potential.

I still cannot get my head around it. Billionaire owner being a cheap cunt in times of desperation. Crazy.

spot on.

There is no way that Keegan didn't come in and immediately see 2 or 3 players that he would have liked to have signed that he knew would improve the team and avoid this mess that we are now heading towards.

But (supposing you're right) maybe they wouldn't come and the money was there - i.e. the Woodgate situation.

I accept that Woodgate chose Spurs. About to play in a cup final. Guaranteed a place in europe next year. 2 very attractive things for a player who is now 28 and a horrendous injury stricken past. Add the fact he'd been here before. If it were you and it wasn't involving the club you support, what would you have done ?

I don't really blame him given all these circumstances.

There are other players, mainly forwards and midfield players. You don't just have to look at the players who actually moved to see players we could have at least tried to sign such is the desperation.

Yeah but, if I read you right, you're apportioning blame to the new regime, are you not? I.e. suggesting the funds weren't there, yet you accept we went for Woodgate. I just think if KK had players in mind, for one reason or another he couldn't get them to come, especially in January. Now, you may blame the new board in a wider sense (in part at least) for how things panned out, but I think it's unfair to suggest Keegan wasn't backed in January.

We all know Keegan, he wants success yesterday, and isn't afraid of money. I simply can't believe that he took a look at this squad and decided nobody could improve it.

What the position is, who knows. The board have yet to convince me of their ambition, Keegan doesn't. I also accept people make mistakes, but if they show ambition you have to accept a mistake in football. When Ashley convinces me of his ambition and best interests for the club I'll accept the mistakes just like I have others.

I am now getting seriously concerned that we will go down this season without the lift of a least one class signing. With Woodie rejecting us for Spurs, and thats a first for quite some time where the two clubs have been after the same player, I cannot see the squad getting the massive lift they need to kick on and gain confidence.

It's all very well KK saying we will only sign players who are better than what we have, but signing players who are on a par, but have a strong belief in their own ability to win matches would be an improvement on what we currently have.

It's confidence we need not better players, and looking at our fixture list I cannot see where that confidence is going to come from given the almost certain string of defeats we will experience between now and the end of the season.

I honestly think Ashley left it too late to sack Allardyce, who should have been long gone before Xmas,  and our fate is virtually already sealed, bar a string of miracle results.

Errr... Duff. Right, nice one, took the extra 10k and became a championship player overnight. Spurs got Malbranque instead, QED

Guest Brazilianbob

You're the one saying he'd transform our results tbf.

Did I?

Touché. ;)

Why else are you arguing about him then?

I'm not arguing about anything. Just putting peoples stupid ideas about him in to touch.

Knocking a young lad for scoring only one goal in the league, when £60m+ worth of Manu talent can't do any better is fuking thick imo.

Barnes getting NUFC grief and he hasn't even become a toon player, its just amazing, it really is.

People aren't knocking him for being a young lad, they're knocking him because he's been brought up in this thread as someone we should have signed.

i think he was actually brought up as one of the two players we know we bid for, therefore it's safe to assume we wanted to sign him

there are obviously better midfielders throughout europe and the world, he's just the one we know keegan asked for

Which is a fair point.

KK thought he saw something in him, but for some reason we offered daft money, and guess what, its was greeted with a big KO.

Some defended the club by saying we were going for him on the cheap and would go back, but we didn't. I just do not get what's going on with that one, which makes the Barnes situation even more bitter for myself. He should have and could have been ours for relatively cheap money. It cost twice as much to sack SA FFS.

i've not seen that much of barnes but the parrells with dyer work on almost every level...when we paid 6m for dyer all those years ago he'd only played in the first division but excelled there, same as barnes, and there's nothing to suggest he'd not have struggled with ipswich when they were promoted a la barnes

we thought 6m on a fast, young player with potential was worth it then, why not now?

They only wanted £4m IIRC. We bid £2m

He's worth £4m anyday, its not a risk, he's 19 and would easily full fill £4m worth of potential.

I still cannot get my head around it. Billionaire owner being a cheap c*** in times of desperation. Crazy.

spot on.

There is no way that Keegan didn't come in and immediately see 2 or 3 players that he would have liked to have signed that he knew would improve the team and avoid this mess that we are now heading towards.

But (supposing you're right) maybe they wouldn't come and the money was there - i.e. the Woodgate situation.

I accept that Woodgate chose Spurs. About to play in a cup final. Guaranteed a place in europe next year. 2 very attractive things for a player who is now 28 and a horrendous injury stricken past. Add the fact he'd been here before. If it were you and it wasn't involving the club you support, what would you have done ?

I don't really blame him given all these circumstances.

There are other players, mainly forwards and midfield players. You don't just have to look at the players who actually moved to see players we could have at least tried to sign such is the desperation.

Yeah but, if I read you right, you're apportioning blame to the new regime, are you not? I.e. suggesting the funds weren't there, yet you accept we went for Woodgate. I just think if KK had players in mind, for one reason or another he couldn't get them to come, especially in January. Now, you may blame the new board in a wider sense (in part at least) for how things panned out, but I think it's unfair to suggest Keegan wasn't backed in January.

We all know Keegan, he wants success yesterday, and isn't afraid of money. I simply can't believe that he took a look at this squad and decided nobody could improve it.

What the position is, who knows. The board have yet to convince me of their ambition, Keegan doesn't. I also accept people make mistakes, but if they show ambition you have to accept a mistake in football. When Ashley convinces me of his ambition and best interests for the club I'll accept the mistakes just like I have others.

The one and only reason KK didn't sign anyone to improve the squad was because there was no one available who was better than what we already have.  I can think of a myriad of players who would improve our squad but none of them were available bar the likes of Barnes who arguably may not have even made the bench if we had signed him.  As KK said, January is not the time to be taking a chance on signing a player who may or may not make a difference.  What we needed were bona fide winners and they don't become available in January.  In fact I just don't see the point in having a January transfer window because there are rarely any transfers of note, apart from when we forced Manures hand in the Rooney transfer.

The one and only reason KK didn't sign anyone to improve the squad was because there was no one available who was better than what we already have.  I can think of a myriad of players who would improve our squad but none of them were available bar the likes of Barnes who arguably may not have even made the bench if we had signed him.  As KK said, January is not the time to be taking a chance on signing a player who may or may not make a difference.  What we needed were bona fide winners and they don't become available in January.  In fact I just don't see the point in having a January transfer window because there are rarely any transfers of note, apart from when we forced Manures hand in the Rooney transfer.

It's obvious to most people, and common sense, but it won't stop two types of critics:

the ones with an agenda who just need to throw shit in the direction of the new board at every opportunity

or those who get frustrated easily and want signings...any signings ..now now now!

It's obvious to most people, and common sense, but it won't stop two types of critics:

the ones with an agenda who just need to throw s*** in the direction of the new board at every opportunity

or those who get frustrated easily and want signings...any signings ..now now now!

love the liberal use of the word agenda on here; who on this board could possibly have an agenda...having an agenda would imply they hoped to acheive something, right?  are you trying to tell me certain people on the board have been sent by powers on high to start undermining the board or some such bollox?

as for the now now now pish we're all talking about more than a month ago, the windows shut, who is talking about now? 

if you can't see we need players on the park maybe you're the one with an agenda...?  ooooooooooh

Agenda was being used in entirely the right context fwiw (if that's what people thought). It doesn't imply certain people have been sent by higher powers to undermine the board. Unless its meaning has changed recently.

a·gen·da      /əˈdʒɛndə/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-jen-duh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun, formally a plural of. agendum, but usually used as a singular with plural. -das or -da. a list, plan, outline, or the like, of things to be done, matters to be acted or voted upon, etc.: The chairman says we have a lengthy agenda this afternoon. 

i beg to differ

Where does it say on there it can't be your own plan or list and has to be supplied by a higher power then?

Guest GORGIEGEORDIE08

DINNY WORRY NEWCASTLE WILL NOT GO DOWN AND NEXT SEASON WE WILL FINISH IN TOP 5. KING KEVS ARMY WILL BE TOP AGAIN ONCE WE GET RID OF HALF THAT TEAM THAT ALLERDYCE BROUGHT IN  :frantic:

you're right it doesn't, but he does say "ones" meaning more than one

what possible agenda could 'x' amount of individuals hope to acheive by coming on THIS message board and slating the new owners?

frankly i find it easier to believe that there are people sent from shadowy consortiums to undermine the board on here, than i do to believe there are indiviuals sitting tapping their keyboard deluded enough to think anything said on here means shit

either proposition is a joke basically, hence my pulling the general use of the word agenda

what possible agenda could 'x' amount of individuals hope to acheive by coming on THIS message board and slating the new owners?

frankly i find it easier to believe that there are people sent from shadowy consortiums to undermine the board on here, than i do to believe there are indiviuals sitting tapping their keyboard deluded enough to think anything said on here means shit

either proposition is a joke basically, hence my pulling the general use of the word agenda

That's a different thing though. If people think people have agendas. The usage of the word is correct in the context. It doesn't make them correct about the agendas existing. Depends what you're saying, really.

frankly i find it easier to believe that there are people sent from shadowy consortiums to undermine the board on here, than i do to believe there are indiviuals sitting tapping their keyboard deluded enough to think anything said on here means s***

That's a different thing though. If people think people have agendas. The usage of the word is correct in the context. It doesn't make them correct about the agendas existing. Depends what you're saying, really.

jesus, this is turning to shit, but his use of agenda (and the wider use when i see it here) has to imply some secret purpose/plan, otherwise it's not an agenda is it?

it's just someone who "need(s) to throw s*** in the direction of the new board at every opportunity"