No signings = relegation?

Guest Brazilianbob

He was implying that though. Hence the usage of the word was correct.

actually, being half asleep i've just now realised i'm arguing with you over completely the wrong thing...i wasn't really saying his grammatical/contextual use of the word agenda was wrong, more the fact he (nor anyone else) shouldn't be using it 'cause it's a preposterous idea

must remember to wake up before writing crap

actually, being half asleep i've just now realised i'm arguing with you over completely the wrong thing...i wasn't really saying his grammatical/contextual use of the word agenda was wrong, more the fact he (nor anyone else) shouldn't be using it 'cause it's a preposterous idea

You still intend on writing crap then? ;)

You still intend on writing crap then? ;)

intents got nothing to do with it, always manage to succeed, so actually i should just stay asleep then...

see?!

Different argument then ;)

You're the one saying he'd transform our results tbf.

Did I?

Touché. ;)

Why else are you arguing about him then?

I'm not arguing about anything. Just putting peoples stupid ideas about him in to touch.

Knocking a young lad for scoring only one goal in the league, when £60m+ worth of Manu talent can't do any better is fuking thick imo.

Barnes getting NUFC grief and he hasn't even become a toon player, its just amazing, it really is.

People aren't knocking him for being a young lad, they're knocking him because he's been brought up in this thread as someone we should have signed.

i think he was actually brought up as one of the two players we know we bid for, therefore it's safe to assume we wanted to sign him

there are obviously better midfielders throughout europe and the world, he's just the one we know keegan asked for

Which is a fair point.

KK thought he saw something in him, but for some reason we offered daft money, and guess what, its was greeted with a big KO.

Some defended the club by saying we were going for him on the cheap and would go back, but we didn't. I just do not get what's going on with that one, which makes the Barnes situation even more bitter for myself. He should have and could have been ours for relatively cheap money. It cost twice as much to sack SA FFS.

i've not seen that much of barnes but the parrells with dyer work on almost every level...when we paid 6m for dyer all those years ago he'd only played in the first division but excelled there, same as barnes, and there's nothing to suggest he'd not have struggled with ipswich when they were promoted a la barnes

we thought 6m on a fast, young player with potential was worth it then, why not now?

They only wanted £4m IIRC. We bid £2m

He's worth £4m anyday, its not a risk, he's 19 and would easily full fill £4m worth of potential.

I still cannot get my head around it. Billionaire owner being a cheap c*** in times of desperation. Crazy.

spot on.

There is no way that Keegan didn't come in and immediately see 2 or 3 players that he would have liked to have signed that he knew would improve the team and avoid this mess that we are now heading towards.

But (supposing you're right) maybe they wouldn't come and the money was there - i.e. the Woodgate situation.

I accept that Woodgate chose Spurs. About to play in a cup final. Guaranteed a place in europe next year. 2 very attractive things for a player who is now 28 and a horrendous injury stricken past. Add the fact he'd been here before. If it were you and it wasn't involving the club you support, what would you have done ?

I don't really blame him given all these circumstances.

There are other players, mainly forwards and midfield players. You don't just have to look at the players who actually moved to see players we could have at least tried to sign such is the desperation.

Yeah but, if I read you right, you're apportioning blame to the new regime, are you not? I.e. suggesting the funds weren't there, yet you accept we went for Woodgate. I just think if KK had players in mind, for one reason or another he couldn't get them to come, especially in January. Now, you may blame the new board in a wider sense (in part at least) for how things panned out, but I think it's unfair to suggest Keegan wasn't backed in January.

We all know Keegan, he wants success yesterday, and isn't afraid of money. I simply can't believe that he took a look at this squad and decided nobody could improve it.

What the position is, who knows. The board have yet to convince me of their ambition, Keegan doesn't. I also accept people make mistakes, but if they show ambition you have to accept a mistake in football. When Ashley convinces me of his ambition and best interests for the club I'll accept the mistakes just like I have others.

The one and only reason KK didn't sign anyone to improve the squad was because there was no one available who was better than what we already have.  I can think of a myriad of players who would improve our squad but none of them were available bar the likes of Barnes who arguably may not have even made the bench if we had signed him.  As KK said, January is not the time to be taking a chance on signing a player who may or may not make a difference.  What we needed were bona fide winners and they don't become available in January.  In fact I just don't see the point in having a January transfer window because there are rarely any transfers of note, apart from when we forced Manures hand in the Rooney transfer.

make them available.

Offer the money.

If we can't attract players from the likes of Blackburn, then we are back to where we were pre-1992. If it means unsettling them by trying to attract them, too bad. Make our fanbase count, and go for them.

The alternative to not even trying, is continuing this relegation struggle, and the possibility that we will end up where the Halls and Shepherd found us, which was as a direct result of not, eeerr, making the fanbase count for over 3 decades.

The one and only reason KK didn't sign anyone to improve the squad was because there was no one available who was better than what we already have.  I can think of a myriad of players who would improve our squad but none of them were available bar the likes of Barnes who arguably may not have even made the bench if we had signed him.  As KK said, January is not the time to be taking a chance on signing a player who may or may not make a difference.  What we needed were bona fide winners and they don't become available in January.  In fact I just don't see the point in having a January transfer window because there are rarely any transfers of note, apart from when we forced Manures hand in the Rooney transfer.

It's obvious to most people, and common sense, but it won't stop two types of critics:

the ones with an agenda who just need to throw shit in the direction of the new board at every opportunity

or those who get frustrated easily and want signings...any signings ..now now now!

or those who just needed to throw shit in the direction of the old board at every opportunity. And urged them to splash the cash every time we lost a game.

Remind us all again. Have the new board got anywhere near looking like matching the old boards Champions League qualifications yet or showed any understanding of how it needs to be done ?

It's obvious to most people, and common sense, but it won't stop two types of critics:

the ones with an agenda who just need to throw s*** in the direction of the new board at every opportunity

or those who get frustrated easily and want signings...any signings ..now now now!

or those who just needed to throw s*** in the direction of the old board at every opportunity. And urged them to splash the cash every time we lost a game.

Remind us all again. Have the new board got anywhere near looking like matching the old boards Champions League qualifications yet or showed any understanding of how it needs to be done ?

i would just like to pouint out to all concerned that  mackems.gif has changed his criteria on judging the board from how much (£) they back the manager to league placings.

carry on.

That's because he's worried Mort will spend big in the Summer and his agenda would have gone tits up, by changing it to league position he can continue to bore us to death with his predictable shite patter.

That's because he's worried Mort will spend big in the Summer and his agenda would have gone tits up, by changing it to league position he can continue to bore us to death with his predictable shite patter.

Dear little Matthew. Console yourself with the thought that I had seen Newcastle play more times at 14 years old, under a real shite board, more than you have at 27. So I'm certainly going nowhere now if the new board show themselves to be as good as or better than the one they have replaced. Although the signs so far aren't good, based on their actions.

Remarkable change of response from the time you told someone that I know what I'm talking about and have the knowledge of the club to back it up.

mackems.gif

Poor Steve, for such a super fan you still thought Souness was a top boss and better than Keegan, that Alan Smith was the perfect replacement for Shearer, that the club should swap Robert and £5 million for James Beattie and that Steven Taylor would captain England first team. You obviously don't know as much as you think you boring, repetitive old tit.

Guest LucaAltieri

Leave the personal insults out please lads. No need for it, just like last time.

C'mon Dave. Letting them insult each other is more entertaining than "debating" each other.

the ones with an agenda who just need to throw s*** in the direction of the new board at every opportunity

love the liberal use of the word agenda on here; who on this board could possibly have an agenda...having an agenda would imply they hoped to acheive something, right?  are you trying to tell me certain people on the board have been sent by powers on high to start undermining the board or some such bollox?

as for the now now now pish we're all talking about more than a month ago, the windows shut, who is talking about now? 

if you can't see we need players on the park maybe you're the one with an agenda...?  ooooooooooh

I wasn'rt necessarily talking about everyone with this point of view if you scroll down a bit further you'll find Mr Agenda popping up on cue:

the ones with an agenda who just need to throw shit in the direction of the new board at every opportunity

or those who just needed to throw shit in the direction of the old board at every opportunity. And urged them to splash the cash every time we lost a game.

Kevin Keegan believes his inability to sign new players has been his biggest problem since returning to Newcastle.

When Keegan first took charge of the club in 1992, he was not restricted to transfer windows in the summer and January to bolster his squad.

The former England boss has struggled to get performances out of the squad he inherited from Sam Allardyce, and he feels the change in transfer rules has been the major stumbling block this time around.

"The biggest change from that situation to this was that I could buy players then," he told the Newcastle Evening Chronicle."If I thought there was a problem somewhere, I could do something and improve the squad.

"This time, we have got what we've got, and it's slightly different in that respect."

Jigsaw

And Keegan believes the signing of Brian Kilcline in 1992 was like finding 'a vital piece of the jigsaw'.

"I brought in Brian Kilcline to lift the dressing room because I felt we needed a character like that.

"He wasn't my greatest signing, but he was probably the most important. On the pitch, sometimes he cost us games, but around the club he built it up.

"He knew it wasn't a long-term signing when he came, but he was a vital piece of the jigsaw to start us off - it was like finding an edge piece."