Keegan can't fail as far as I'm concerned

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

His objective is to get us back into the top 6 and playing good football again, not to mastermind a series of league title successes or Champions League final appearances. All this sweating over his tactical acumen and other things are trivial issues because as the vastly overrated and quite average Premier League of ours has proved time and time again, you don't need any of that to do well in it. What you really need is money or stability with a keen eye in the transfer market which are the three key factors behind the likes of Spurs, Everton, Bolton and Blackburn and their respective moves from mid-table and into the top 6 in recent years. Slots in the league that are constantly revolving and open to any club with a decent enough manager who has money to spend or has the stability to build.

In Keegan we have a manager who is proven in galvanising teams, the transfer market and playing good football. At United he will have by all accounts a hell of a lot of money to spend and all the time in the world to get us going in the right direction on and off the stands. No, we won't be challenging for the title or getting to European finals because he doesn't have all the skills as a manager to pull off such feats. He is more than qualified to take this club back into the top 6 though and playing good football again. At least on a par with all the others anyway.

The Premier League is not Mount Everest. Don't believe the hype. You don't need to be the best manager in the world or have the greatest of squads to pick from to do well in it as Moyes et al have proved.

At the end of those 3.5 years I am pretty confident we'll be back in the top 6 playing good football. Whether we stay there or not will depend on what happens once we've reached that particular summit and just where we want top go from there.

Under Sam Allardyce I think the previous board wanted a long-term approach back into the top 6, under Ashley and Keegan I think we'll cut corners and get there quicker though due to massive funding and the all important feel-good factor. I doubt the foundations will be strong enough to hold us there forever, but from where we sit today, do you care? I don't. Let us worry about that then, not now.

In Keegan I trust, anyway.

If the unknown Avram Grant can maintain Chelsea as a top 4 club with title aspirations, or David fucking Moyes can take Everton into the top 6 then Keegan can get us, his club, going again without doubt. It ain't rocket science. Good players playing good football on a weekly basis backed by the support of 53,000 fans will be enough, just as it was under Sir Bobby who was no tactical mastermind.

Top 6 + good football is achievable under KK and more of a likelihood than any other scenario.

Put your hands up who would like that  :thup:

as has been said on more than one occasion mate, who cares about "tactical naivety" [whatever that actually means] when you are 12 points clear at the top of the premiership ............

:thup:

Just be patient this season, we have nowhere near the quality of squad that Keegan will demand, and the media will pile pressure on for Keegan to fail. We will need to adopt a siege mentality until we have the players to compete.

People need to be patient, I think he knows what players he wants and he'll struggle to attract them in January, next season is when he should be judged, not now.

I'm fully behind KK, I just hope the players who've failed so far are going to do it for him until summer and more importantly, fans aren't affected by the shit that the rags are going to print every single day in an attempt to rock the boat.

I've got a really bad feeling that the third coming of KK is going to be a disaster.  ???

Well the whole club is a bit of a disaster at the moment. At least doing it with Kev at the top we'll be doing it in style.

I've got a really bad feeling that the third coming of KK is going to be a disaster.  ???

Well the whole club is a bit of a disaster at the moment. At least doing it with Kev at the top we'll be doing it in style.

might not be like last time but only relegation would be a disaster

Not getting anybody in now isn't ideal but in the long run it could be better as Keegan will know his players better by the time the next transfer window comes around and he'll have a better idea how they work with his ideas as a team.

I've already seen changes in our game which are positives, even if the results aren't what we'd hope for.  Keegan will do OK here, I have little doubt of that.  We'll be getting our players back from Africa soon and at least 2 of them will be regulars, it will be interesting to see what Keegan does with Martins, I think we'll see a much better player under Keegan than Allardyce, I can't wait to see them come back and start playing for us again.

I am 100% behind Keegan, exactly as it says in the sig.

He'll have my support no matter what happens this season, he will have my support for the length of his contract and he will have my support during all the times where papers come up with stupid stuff about him.

Did you watch the last KK era on DVD like?  ;D

saw most of it live but whats your point

Another easy bite.  mackems.gif

Another easy bite.  mackems.gif

haven't the foggiest what you're on about as usual

Newcastle United boss Kevin Keegan's honeymoon is already over after their FA Cup elimination against Arsenal yesterday.

The News of the World says some players were dismayed at new Newcastle boss Keegan's tactical team meeting ahead of yesterday's 3-0 FA Cup fourth round drubbing at Arsenal.

A Toon insider said: "The players were waiting for Kevin to give his instructions but all he said was: 'Arsenal are a great passing team. We must make sure we pass the ball better than them.'

"That was it. There were no specific tactics, no work on set pieces...the players were stunned."

Newcastle have failed to score in both games since Keegan took over.

Guest Brummiemag

Just be patient this season, we have nowhere near the quality of squad that Keegan will demand, and the media will pile pressure on for Keegan to fail. We will need to adopt a siege mentality until we have the players to compete.

Couldnt agree more with you, but it looks like the media and some people on this forum have already got the knives out for Keegan

Guest Knightrider

as has been said on more than one occasion mate, who cares about "tactical naivety" [whatever that actually means] when you are 12 points clear at the top of the premiership ............

I think there are a lot of myths surrounding KK and his NUFC sides and being tactically inept is one of the biggest myths. As you said, you don't get to be 12 points clear of the Premiership in your 4th season in management if you don't understand football. Keegan does, perhaps better than people are willing to give him credit for. He just doesn't really care much for tactics or puts much faith in them and with good reason. People trump up the likes of Mourinho as a tactical mastermind yet once those players cross that white line, tactics can go straight out of the window in one split second. Remember Mourinho putting on 3 subs against us in the FA Cup only to go down to 10 men due to injury? That's the split second I'm referring too. Look at Benitez, regarded as a superb tactician yet he constantly fucks up on a regular basis hence Liverpool's inconsistency. In football good players coached right in the right kind of environment on a consistent basis will win the day far more than tactics ever will or can.

Tactics are important don't get me wrong and Keegan isn't too hot in this area compared to others, but tactics are side issues and always will be over more important criterias.

Anyway, the two best managers in the country, Fergie and Wenger, are not master tacticians and neither was Sir Bobby Robson.

We'll be OK and I can't think of a safer pair of hands to place our club into than Keegan's.

We all just have to be a little patient and trusting.

I think there are a lot of myths surrounding KK and his NUFC sides and being tactically inept is one of the biggest myths. As you said, you don't get to be 12 points clear of the Premiership in your 4th season in management if you don't understand football. Keegan does, perhaps better than people are willing to give him credit for. He just doesn't really care much for tactics or puts much faith in them and with good reason. People trump up the likes of Mourinho as a tactical mastermind yet once those players cross that white line, tactics can go straight out of the window in one split second. Remember Mourinho putting on 3 subs against us in the FA Cup only to go down to 10 men due to injury? That's the split second I'm referring too. Look at Benitez, regarded as a superb tactician yet he constantly fucks up on a regular basis hence Liverpool's inconsistency. In football good players coached right in the right kind of environment on a consistent basis will win the day far more than tactics ever will or can.

Tactics are important don't get me wrong and Keegan isn't too hot in this area compared to others, but tactics are side issues and always will be over more important criterias.

Anyway, the two best managers in the country, Fergie and Wenger, are not master tacticians and neither was Sir Bobby Robson.

We'll be OK and I can't think of a safer pair of hands to place our club into than Keegan's.

I think KK would not harm himself if he employed and up and coming tactician from the continent just to bounce some ideas off and suggest things he would not think of.

I worry about this a lot about KK, like it or not the prem is becoming more like Serie A every year that passes due to foreign influence, but that doesn't mean we can't strike a decent balance between both styles of football.

Guest mobiius

Couldnt agree more with you, but it looks like the media and some people on this forum have already got the knives out for Keegan

i'll second that. the media relish the thought of KK failing. They would all fall over each other in a heightened state of sexual ecstasy if the toon got relegated, they don't even try to hide it anymore. But its most of our own that have started picking at the least thing ,that boils my urine,ffs if the truth was known (and the poll backs me up) most of the people whinging already are KK bandwagon jumpers anyway. My view is judge him after a couple of seasons at least then we will have an idea what direction we are going. 

Guest Knightrider

I think KK would not harm himself if he employed and up and coming tactician from the continent just to bounce some ideas off and suggest things he would not think of.

I worry about this a lot about KK, like it or not the prem is becoming more like Serie A every year that passes due to foreign influence, but that doesn't mean we can't strike a decent balance between both styles of football.

The Premiership is becoming more of a tactical battlefield and hence why it's so samey samey between many sides, however this is where KK can come into his own because despite the tactical landscape of the league, a good footballing side will still drive through it like a wedge as Arsenal, despite being in the bottom 5 of average net spend of the 20 sides in the league, can finish in the top 4 and mount title challenges while tactically minded Liverpool struggle despite heavier investment. We did the same under Sir Bobby and Spurs did to a lesser extent under Jol who in games between the two, lost out tactically to mastermind himself, Glenn Roeder.

Again, outside of the top 3 who really are in a league of their own, it's open to anyone with a half decent squad, manager and with some funding and even funding isn't too important as Bolton and Blackburn have proved. This is why one season Everton are fighting a relegation battle and the next are in the top 5. It's open below the top 3.