Just Watching The '74 Cup Final

Tooj

It's on ESPN Classic now.

Yes we may have got beat, but it's good to watch some of the old games like these. Had some canny players you know.  :shifty:

O0 Yup!! 73 was a good one as well.

Yes we may have got beat, but it's good to watch some of the old games like these. Had some canny players you know.  :shifty:

:thup:

flair players. Too many though.

Guest Novocastrian

We got pummelled, it was depressing. Even more depressing is the statistic that until that game we were a more successful team than Liverpool. Five European Cups, three UEFA Cups, countless FA/League Cups and zillions of league titles later is a testament to how embarrassingly mediocre we have been compared to Liverpool.  :angry:

had some skilful players in the side, liverpool look faster and more physical tho. i expect them to win comfortably tbh.

btw the cameras are never showing the newcastle fans and all your can hear is the liverpool fans singing.  >:(

We never performed on the day - the players were overwhelmed by the whole scene and Liverpool , who had been & done it before , handled the whole thing much better.

One thing which I am certain would have altered the match considerably would have been the availability of Tony Green ; he had been injured(cruciate) the previous year and had that not happened, I reckon he would have got the side going as well as causing problems for Liverpool.

People also forget that we beat them 4-1 at SJP the following November, when Tommy Craig tore them apart with his left-peg passing..

A sad day, though, after so much excitement on the run-up to Wembley.

We were a mid-table side...

lower than that. 15th for 3 consecutive seasons in fact. A real golden era.

And yet quite a lot of the older generation whinge about things now, looking back at that era through rose-tinted specs.

Yes , but you have to dissect the whole thing - we had some good players but a poor Board(satisfied with mediocrity)and a manager that was coming to the end of the line(Joe Harvey)after 12 years at the club.

There was too much concentration on the Cup and not enough on the League but the players knew that really high standards weren't expected of them ; also, we had no really decent Reserves to put pressure on the 11 first-teamers.....

Contrary to what the youngsters on this board think, the 1st Div was far more even in those days in that nearly every team in the Div had one or two decent players - yes there were only a couple of teams likely to win it but it was possible for team like Derby to emerge as title challengers after promotion which wouldn't happen today..then again, they were managed by 'The Master'!....

As I recall, we'd been doing okay in the league, until we reached the cup final. Our focus then went and the players strolled their way through the remaining matches, thinking they'd be able to raise their game again at Wembley. It didn't happen, of course.

Bit of a lesson to keep giving 100%. You can't always turn it on exactly when you want to.

Guest Brazilianbob

I was there to witness the defeat at first hand.  A very very depressing day.  We just didn't turn up on the day.  My Dad was Joe harvey's golf partner on a sunday and he told me that Joe had told the team that they had done the hard part getting to Wembley and they should go out and enjoy the moment.  They certainly did that, they sat back and didn't break sweat for 90 monutes.

It didn't make it any easier to take when Liverpool then bought our two best young players in Terry Mac and Alan Kennedy, and they then went on to win titles and european glory with the same  two players making a major contribution to those achievements.

And yet quite a lot of the older generation whinge about things now, looking back at that era through rose-tinted specs.

Yes , but you have to dissect the whole thing - we had some good players but a poor Board(satisfied with mediocrity) and a manager that was coming to the end of the line(Joe Harvey)after 12 years at the club.

There was too much concentration on the Cup and not enough on the League but the players knew that really high standards weren't expected of them ; also, we had no really decent Reserves to put pressure on the 11 first-teamers.....

Contrary to what the youngsters on this board think, the 1st Div was far more even in those days in that nearly every team in the Div had one or two decent players - yes there were only a couple of teams likely to win it but it was possible for team like Derby to emerge as title challengers after promotion which wouldn't happen today..then again, they were managed by 'The Master'!....

indeed. Which only adds to the mystery of why you [maybe, but certainly others] don't add weight to when I put the last decade into perspective.

Of course, I would still expect some people to continue with their "opinions" though, regardless of perspective or fact.

Guest Rushian

We got pummelled, it was depressing. Even more depressing is the statistic that until that game we were a more successful team than Liverpool. Five European Cups, three UEFA Cups, countless FA/League Cups and zillions of league titles later is a testament to how embarrassingly mediocre we have been compared to Liverpool.  :angry:

We had won 8 league titles to your 4 prior to that FA Cup Final. We'd also won one of our UEFA Cups the year before to match your Fairs Cup. Where you'd outshone us was in winning 6 FA Cups to our solitary 1 when Shanks broke the "curse" in 1965.

I think where we upped a gear was our concentration on the league when Shankly got us promoted. We haven't finished below 8th in the 45 years since.

We had won 8 league titles to your 4 prior to that FA Cup Final. We'd also won one of our UEFA Cups the year before to match your Fairs Cup. Where you'd outshone us was in winning 6 FA Cups to our solitary 1 when Shanks broke the "curse" in 1965.

I think where we upped a gear was our concentration on the league when Shankly got us promoted. We haven't finished below 8th in the 45 years since.

you have to build a team designed to be a good league team. Cup runs come together with it. In the 1970's we had a team of flair players, assembled as cheaply as possible [ie "potential" top players of the inconsistent type who don't cost as much as genuine top players" who actually perform]. To have a good league team, you need players of the right mentality, character as well as some ability, it doesn't work the other way around, and you would know this as a Liverpool supporter.

Its all tied in with this mythical thing that "geordies would rather win the FA Cup", which is also tied together with "entertainment before winning". All from the same stable and all a load of bollocks, although there are some with this mindset.

Everybody wants to win and play edge of the seat football, but in the real world nobody can do it all the time.

Yes , but you have to dissect the whole thing - we had some good players but a poor Board(satisfied with mediocrity) and a manager that was coming to the end of the line(Joe Harvey)after 12 years at the club.

indeed. Which only adds to the mystery of why you [maybe, but certainly others] don't add weight to when I put the last decade into perspective.

Of course, I would still expect some people to continue with their "opinions" though, regardless of perspective or fact.

Because the last decade could(and should)have been better than it was...

That is an unbelievable stat btw.

Because the last decade could(and should)have been better than it was...

but has still been the best decade since the 1950's ?

If I remember we also lost the pre match Its a Knockout but Big Bren won a race. I cried when Alex Lindsey scored in the 1st half & that disallowed goal made the 2nd half stuffing more acceptable; I had been prepared for what was to happen.

Super Mac always says we stopped playing once we'd reached the final & he couldn't keep his gob shut in the week leading up to the final.

My grandad died in the week leading to the final wearing a polystyrene hat given out with the Chron. He'd have been pleased to have missed it. We were awful.

but the best since the 1950's ?

Or not ? Don't betray your personal feelings towards that nasty man who called you horrible names, try using judgement and facts for a change ..........

The best since our 3 finishes after promotion.