So what is our strongest starting 11?

Tsunami

We have to try something different. Today was a real relegation performance. Dodgy defending and no penetration in attack.

Harper - Given's nervousness is transmitting itself to the rest of the defence.

Carr - He's done okay in recent weeks. His distribution was poor today from LB, but that's what you'd expect.

Cacapa - Occasionally his lack of pace shows up, but he shows leadership and initiative.

Faye - I'd like to play him in midfield, but we're so dodgy at the back, we need him here.

Enrique - Not the greatest so far, but he's prepared to have a go.

Beye - Gives us a bit more aerial power, and can shore up a flimsy midfield. We look weak defensively with two wingers.

Barton - Still finding his feet, but our most creative player.

Smith - Shows leadership, and though it isn't his best position, he's a better anchorman than anyone else we've got.

Milner - Better on the left. Edges it over Zoggy because he works hard.

Duff - We need a player who can link midfield and attack in a free role, and Duff fits the bill.

Shola - I'm prepared to give him a go. We've looked really crap in the final third over the last few weeks, and Shola can cause defences a few problems.

I want to see players who show initiative and a willingness to take responsibility. So Taylor and Butt go. Owen may still be a better option, but I'd like to try something new and see how it works. The present set up won't improve itself.

Not a bad team....for the reserves

mine would be

Given

Beye

Taylor

Faye

Enrique

Milner

Barton

Emre

Duff

Owen

Martins

Milner-Barton-Emre-Duff looks way too flimsy in midfield to me.

wouldprefer to put Faye there but Cacapa doesn look at it all!Forgot abt Zog,swapped him with Emre

Guest toonlass

Harper - As good as Given is at the moment, and was dropped unfairly when Shay was fit again.

Beye - No better defender at Newcastle at the moment.

Taylor - Young, needs to learn, but with Beye and Faye could make massive improvements.

Faye - Big, strong, confident, just what we need at the back.

Enrique - Better than Carr at left back, so best we have at the moment unless Keegan was prepared to play Edgar in his place.

Milner - Young, fast and can only improve, works tirelessly

Emre - Good player, works hard, has not been given enough of a chance this season.

Duff - We know he can play, he needs to prove it.

N'Zogbia - Possibly the best Newcastle player this season, and needs to be played in midfield

Viduka - He may be slow, but the lad is big and can score goals

Martins or Owen - much of a muchness, both have strengths, both have weaknesses, both have sold themselves short this season.

Milner-Duff-Emre-Zoggy is even more powder-puff. Come on, the midfield does actually have to put in a few tackles.

What we have at the moment isn't working though!

I'd pick:

Given

Beye    Faye    Cacapa    Enrique

Milne r  Geremi  N'Zogbia    Duff

Martins  Owen

Geremi's not been great so far, but he's looked good in the ACON and I'd rather give him another chance than waste the spot with Smith, Barton or Butt.

Given

Beye    Taylor      Faye    Jose Enrique

Barton      Emre

Milner                                N'Zogbia

Viduka      Owen / Martins

Bench:

Harper

Martins/owen

Duff

Cacapa

Lua Lua

Shola and Duff up front isn't going to improve anything.

We've scored 3 in the last 10 Premiership games, and you can't put it down to bad luck. What's more it's getting worse. I'd give it a go.

So you drop the one person who can actually finish and who has scored in the last 2?

Can't decide whether you're a WUM, genuinely thick, or an idiot.

Guest Brazilianbob

Harper

Beye    Taylor    Cacapa  Enrique (Edgar)

Faye

Milner                  Emre

Martins      Ameobi      Owen

Given

Beye Taylor Faye Enrique

Milner Barton Emre N'Zogbia

Owen Martins

Our centre midfield is a mess though. The fact that Barton has been everything you were afraid he would turn out to be and nothing you were hoping for, we've suffered a severe lack of presence in the centre of the pitch since Parker left. Keegan needs to buy himself TWO new centremids in the summer, since Butts contribution isn't enough anymore, even though his experience and leadership will be vital during our fight against relegation.

Guest smnewport

Have to say that is it like making the best out of a bad job at the moment coz not many players are exactly shining are they. That said I'd go:-

Given

Beye            Taylor                        Faye            Enrique

Milner          Geremi                        Emre          Duff

Owen                          Martins

Harper

Viduka

Cacapa

Barton

Smith

Realise it leaves us a bit "small" up front, but if Milner and Duff can start playing the way we hope they can, then they should be whipping crosses in all day and Oba and Michael , could start scoring for fun.

The thing it does highlight as how much we need to sign some creativity come the close season.

Given

Beye

Taylor

Faye

Enrique

Butt/Geremi (possibly half a match each given their failing legs)

N'Zogbia

Emre

Milner

Martins

Owen

And no long balls hoofed from the back other than in extremis.

Have to say that is it like making the best out of a bad job at the moment coz not many players are exactly shining are they. That said I'd go:-

Given

Beye            Taylor                        Faye            Enrique

Milner          Geremi                        Emre          Duff

Harper

Viduka

Cacapa

Barton

Smith

Realise it leaves us a bit "small" up front, but if Milner and Duff can start playing the way we hope they can, then they should be whipping crosses in all day and Oba and Michael , could start scoring for fun.

The thing it does highlight as how much we need to sign some creativity come the close season.

Where's the Zog?

We haven't got a strongest/stronger/strong team

Everybody not in the team has been just as s***.

See what you are saying - there are only about 3-4 players in the squad who I would retain if we could ship out the remainder ; this lot are going nowhere.

When KK took over in 92, he had Kelly and Peacock up front, both of whom went on to play a major part in the team's promotion the following season ; he also had some good young players in Watson(whose goal at Port Vale was almost as important in keeping us up as Ned's against Pompey),Elliott and Clark, two of whom became good Prem defenders(if Elliott hadn't got a bad injury, I reckon he would have played for England)....there are NONE of the current squad who you could say were real building bricks for a big improvement in the side - even Zog is likely to want to leave.

KK was also able to get Kilcline in as in those days there was NO windows in the transfer market and Kilcline was also vital in keeping us up..KK couldn't get what he wanted in the Jan window and if Reading had not been playing so poorly, we would be in very serious danger of relegation because the current squad cannot even battle for points.

Although we will be in the Prem unless disaster strikes - not impossible either - we are in a worse position to build a new side than we were in KKs first season as manager.

Given

Beye,  Taylor,  Faye,  Enrique

Geremi    Barton

Milner,      Zoggy,            Duff

Martins

Substitutes:

Harper

Cacapa

Smith

Emre

Owen/Viduka

Why?

Given    (GK) -  It's a hard time selecting between him and Harper. But I think we should give him a bit of confidence and once we are back to winning ways,

hopefully he will be back to his usual best.

Faye      (DC) -  Our best defender in the season so far.

Taylor    (DC) -  Has potential, a Newcastle supporter since young. He can only be better if we give him a stage to relish his potential.

Beye      (DR) -  An automatic choice really.

Enrique (DL)  -  We pretty much got no one in that position except him. And like Taylor, he can only get better if we give him a stage to relish his potential.

Geremi  (DM/MC)  -  Butt has been terrible to watch in the past few matches.

Barton  (DM/MC)  -  Imo, easily our best center midfielder.

Milner    (MR/AMR) -  Can be our very own David Bentley. His under 21 performances are nice to watch.

Duff      (ML/AML) -  It's a hard time selecting between him and Zoggy. He showed glimpses of brilliance in the past few matches and he lured a few defenders

to him too I just hope that if he gets his confidence back, he will be able to replicate his past form.

Zoggy    (AMC)      -  It's a hard time selecting between him and Emre too. But I think he deserves to play based on his consistency. Mmmm I would really like to

see him play some sort of a role similar to Jenas for Tottenham and England. It would be nice if Zoggy scores a couple of goals I'm sure.

Additionally, Zoggy is able to put in a good cross/pass. Also, we need to keep him happy and playing. If we managed to win some games,

maybe he will stay.

Martins  (FC)        -  He has the pace, more clinical etc. Also, I rate African strikers better than English strikers these days.

Substitutes:

Harper            -  Good backup I supposed.

Cacapa            -  He always does fantastic last ditch tackle which is quite nice to watch. I think he's a good backup for the defenders.

Smith              -  We probably needs a combative center midfielder if any of them on the pitch is injured. Besides, he can play striker, if there's no other choices.

Emre                -  Like I said, I had a hard time selective between starting him and Zoggy and Duff. I guess the 3 of them can be used interchangeably for tactical

reasons.

Owen/Viduka  - Credits to Owen for the 2 goals, so I don't think he should be drop entirely. Besides, Owen would be the natural substitute for Martins if Martins

is injured in the match (I know the pace is lacking). But Viduka offers more for tactical changes. Tough choice here.

Many posters are picking who they think are the best 11 individual players. This isn't working on the pitch. We need to be able to change things, we need to be resilient & we need to be threat. Owen/ Martins do not work as a pair. If you play both Martins must be played out of position on the RW. Duff doesn't have an end product & the midfield is neither an effective unit to stop the opposition or threaten/ create at the other end. The defence is leaderless.

We need to get 1 or 2 key players in the right positions & make most of our play through this. IMO we need Faye in the heart of defence (although I'd like another of him in midfield). We should play Zog LW, ask Emre to be playmaker & Barton to be box to box running beyond our front 2 at times. Up top we need a big un & a little un. My preference based purely on the lack of product from the other 2 would be Martins & Shola. MO still has much to prove & is a luxury we can't afford just now.

KK needs to shake things up, he has to drop under-performing players otherwise we will end up in trouble.

Guest smnewport

Given

Beye            Taylor                         Faye            Enrique

Milner          Geremi                        Emre           Duff

Harper

Viduka

Cacapa

Barton

Smith

S   

Where's the Zog?

Bugger, I knew there was someone I had forgotten. In that case lose Smith.

Shola and Duff up front isn't going to improve anything.

We've scored 3 in the last 10 Premiership games, and you can't put it down to bad luck. What's more it's getting worse. I'd give it a go.

So you drop the one person who can actually finish and who has scored in the last 2?

Can't decide whether you're a WUM, genuinely thick, or an idiot.

Well I’ll give you some more material to help you decide.

The problem isn’t that we’re not finishing off chances. We’re not actually creating them in the first place. The two goals in the last two games have been, if anything, a bit more than we’ve deserved.

The ball seems to be getting stuck in the midfield. We’re passing the ball quite well at times to retain possession, but not threatening the opposition goal. We look static, and we’re not pulling defenders out of position.

It’s no good thinking that you can play two men up front who are going to bang away the chances created by other players. One of the strikers needs to act as a link with the midfield, in the sort of freer role that Beardsley and Bellamy did so well for us. At the same time, one of the midfield players has to be making forward runs to get beyond the strikers and get on the end of chances. That’s the very least you have to do to open up a defence at that level.

Neither of those things are happening. The creative striker role is falling to Owen, but it’s not his natural game, he doesn’t look happy and he’s not creating much. Barton is the best bet to get forward from the midfield, but he seems to be getting sucked back into these intricate passing movements whose only function is to retain possession. The whole side lacks rhythm and Butt doesn’t pass the ball forward well, so it’s difficult for Barton to time any forward runs with confidence.

So I’d give the withdrawn striker role to Duff, and see how it goes. Owen may be the best finisher we have (which isn’t saying a lot), but his presence limits our creativity. Martins doesn't have the skill or the brains.

Smith has done well as a target man, but he doesn’t look sharp enough to get on the end of chances. I don’t have complete confidence in Shola, and he’s not a great finisher either, but he offers us something different and is able to create things for himself. I’d give him a try. Failing that, Viduka.

Smith, overall, is being scapegoated and is better than he’s being given credit for. He’s a far better passer than Butt, and certainly more of a leader, so I’d stick him in the anchorman role, for want of a better option in that position.

Sorry to give you War and Peace, everyone. I have a lot to get off my chest this morning.

HARPER

BEYE    FAYE   TAYLOR   ENRIQUE

MILNER    GEREMI    EMRE    ZOG

MARTINS    OWEN

I reckon Geremi might do ok when he's not captain...

Guest STaylor87

GK: Harper - Given has been shocking lately, time to replace him with a keeper who never lets us down!

LB: Enrique - Shocked that he was dropped. Carr at LB was a nightmare!

CB: Taylor - Normally does a good job.

CB: Faye - Our best defender, imo.

RB: Beye - Has had a great season, so far.

LM: N'Zogbia - Bound to create chances.

CM: Butt - Provides protection to the back 4, despite getting yellow carded EVERY match! :|

CM: Emre - Probably our most creatitve player.

RM: Milner - A class act.

CF: Owen - Let the goals flow!

CF: Viduka - Getting on the end of N'Zogbia/Milner crosses = Goals

GK: Harper - Given has been shocking lately, time to replace him with a keeper who never lets us down!

LB: Enrique - Shocked that he was dropped. Carr at LB was a nightmare!

CB: Taylor - Normally does a good job.

CB: Faye - Our best defender, imo.

RB: Beye - Has had a great season, so far.

LM: N'Zogbia - Bound to create chances.

CM: Butt - Provides protection to the back 4, despite getting yellow carded EVERY match! :|

CM: Emre - Probably our most creatitve player.

RM: Milner - A class act.

CF: Owen - Let the goals flow!

CF: Viduka - Getting on the end of N'Zogbia/Milner crosses = Goals

:angel:

Given - Reliable, and still very good keeper.

Beye - Class Player really.

Cacapa - His reading of the game far exceeds any of our other defenders.

Faye - He is what Taylor should be: Reliable, hard as nails and good aerially.

Enrique - Inexperienced but technically very good and imo a decent defender.

Duff - Pacy and skillful, what is necessary for a winger something that Milner lacks alot of.

Barton - Good player gets too much stick because of what he said about the fans.

Emre - Lightweight but creative.

Zoggy - The main threat why anybody would drop him i'll never know. 

Martins - 7 Goals this season and not played very well, and not been played consistently whether you hate him or love him he is our biggest threat uptop and his very respectable record for us means he has to play.

Viduka - Good player techinically and offers more than Owen.

Guest rebel_yell12

It seems odd to me that so many have been calling for Michael Owen to "prove himself" for Newcastle, and now the lad seems to hit a run of form (3 goals in last 6 matches), some are calling for him to be dropped in favor of Martins who hasn't scored since 8 December in any competition if I remember correctly (did I miss one at the ACON?) or Viduka, whose fitness has been even dodgier than Owen's this season.  The worst is dropping any of the top three for Ameobi who hasn't scored in a senior side since the first half of 2007 (well, maybe in for Smith?  It's like choosing between six and half a dozen, that).

My preference based purely on the lack of product from the other 2 would be Martins & Shola. MO still has much to prove & is a luxury we can't afford just now.

I think Newcastle can well afford the "luxury" of the man who has scored the only two Premiership goals for Newcastle since 29 Dec.  In fact, a few more "luxuries" are needed, imo.

Martins - 7 Goals this season and not played very well, and not been played consistently whether you hate him or love him he is our biggest threat uptop and his very respectable record for us means he has to play.

Don't love him, don't hate him, don't agree.  I think he should play, but then I don't agree with the assumption that because both are small, Owen and Martins can't play together.  I think Newcastle's biggest threat uptop currently is Owen, since poacher's half-chances seem to be all that is on offer of late.  Martins looks off-form at the moment (unlike Owen, finally) and has, as you admit, not played very well.  Personally, I think he was played very consistently, at least in November and December, and didn't play as well then as Owen has of late -- leaving out that Martins hardly looked prolific when he did play for Nigeria.  The case might be made that Owen has scored 6 goals this season, been in and out with fitness, and looks like coming back to sharpness.  Love him or hate him...you know the rest.

Now, I've never hidden that I am a fan of Michael Owen (be pointless of me to try, wouldn't it?).  That said, Owen has provided Newcastle with six points from four Premiership goals (only his goal v. Villa was "wasted" in the sense that it did not earn points), and provided the opening goal in an FA Cup match as well as the winning goal in a Carling Cup match.  Martins has provided a penalty v. Birmingham on 8 Dec (1 point), a consolation goal v. Blackburn on 1 Dec, the opening goal v. Tottenham (1 point) on 22 Oct, the opening goal v. Man City on 29 Sept, and two goals v. Bolton to win on 11 Aug (2 points), for the total of providing 5 points over the season from six Premiership goals.

I don't see why it can't be at least attempted to play the two highest goalscorers together.  Just because both are lacking somewhat for height doesn't mean they are incompatible.  I'm sure there are numerous examples of small strikers partnering successfully.