Keegan is

Guest K9

Good post, but at times like these do you ever get the feeling this "change" will never come, you've got to look at the flip side...

I'm not having a go at you but it's too easy to wallow in self pity, the whole club needs a lift and that includes the fans, we need to be positive and have the players thinking that they try something without getting stick if it goes wrong.  I know what we say on here doesn't affect the team, at least individual posts don't but if we go to games expecting the worse then that negativity will eventually get to the players because every mistake will just bring a load of groans from the crowd.  It's about time we forgot about the past and just went for it and tried to make players feel comfortable when trying something different, it was only a couple of days ago that somebody on here was saying that we should let the players know how we feel.

I'd rather they thought they could try something with the backing of the crowd than feel they were going to get slaughtered for the slightest mistake, we need to get over it and move on.

I'm sick of the negativity, it's not doing any good at all.

Guest Milburnthedog

Seriously, I get goose bumps and runny eyes at the prospect of next season. I get emotional and extremely peed off when I see negative vibes weedling their way in to Newcastle United, it's players and fans like a cancer. It has to bloody stop and stop now. Those not on our side should sod off and do something they want to do on a matchday, like shopping, decorating or some other pass time that won't affect our Club, our passion.

Those same people should stop posting crap on websites and feed the vermin that read these and make a living off it. Players and officials read things, its human nature. Let the Newcastle websites be unwelcoming places for negativity. Those who want their moment of fame in front of TV camera's wanting to spout their bull poo in front of SJP need to know they DO NOT speak for the vast majority. This is no place for people like that, they are not welcome. Newcastl United is the only thing that matters. The confidence of the 11 honoured professionals who cross the line must feel like Gods at home games. The opposition must feel that the world is against them for 90 minutes during a match. The officials must have so much pressure on them that they fear making mistakes and favour 50/50's to the team wearing black and white.

Survival and the battle to the end of the season will be only for the brave and no place for bottlers, losers or cowards. We must win this one, my friends, no alternative.

I just wonder which Premier League players will have watched us this season and really want to join the club in the Summer.

KK has a massive job on his hnads and i really doubt whether he has the ability to do it.  :undecided:

I see very little or no improvement on Allardyce reign.

Still picking Smith for starters ......

It's not even been a month since Keegan came in.

Players are obviously still used to Allardyce's football and players Keegan has arent even those he brought.

WHAT DO YOU f****** EXPECT?!

You mean like the Spurs players took a month to 'get used' to Ramos' football..???

Bad memory?  Spurs got 5 points from Ramos's first 5 games against the likes of Birmginham and Wigan.. It took him well over a month to sort them out.  Even though he inherited a better side then ours from a manager who had already been trying to play good Football and had an easier start then Keegan's had.

Guest Milburnthedog

Good post, but at times like these do you ever get the feeling this "change" will never come, you've got to look at the flip side...

I'm not having a go at you but it's too easy to wallow in self pity, the whole club needs a lift and that includes the fans, we need to be positive and have the players thinking that they try something without getting stick if it goes wrong.  I know what we say on here doesn't affect the team, at least individual posts don't but if we go to games expecting the worse then that negativity will eventually get to the players because every mistake will just bring a load of groans from the crowd.  It's about time we forgot about the past and just went for it and tried to make players feel comfortable when trying something different, it was only a couple of days ago that somebody on here was saying that we should let the players know how we feel.

I'd rather they thought they could try something with the backing of the crowd than feel they were going to get slaughtered for the slightest mistake, we need to get over it and move on.

I'm sick of the negativity, it's not doing any good at all.

Bingo. Spot on. The flip side is not worth contemplating and will not happen. The flip side sells papers and fills other teams supporters with glee. It won't happen. We all need to have complete faith now. No options.

Hang on, I thought you were happy to see Dyer go, because we brought in Smith. You've always linked the two when defending Smith, now you say Dyer wasn't replaced?

No, I've never saw Smith as a replacement for Dyer, I just think he was a player available at the time and if anything a replacement for Ameobi in advance of showing the door to Ameobi. I've said this before Dave, when I had discussions with baggy, who said he was a direct replacement for Dyer. He may have been in monetary terms [worrying in itself] but not from a playing point of view and the wheeling and dealing that the new manager was making at the time.

To date, we haven't replaced Dyer with someone to take his place, of similar attributes but a better attitude and would play more. And we certainly haven't replaced Solano, although they may have thought Duff could do it to be fair.

Looking at the squad though, overall we lost these 2 players and didn't replace them with players who could step straight into the team and take their place.

Stop backtracking.

Allardyce said himself that Smith was Dyer's replacement and it was a shocking decision, if it was how you suggest and that he preferred to replace one 4th choice striker with another instead of bothering replacing Dyer at all then it was an even worse decision, his pace, off the ball movement and his ability to get in behind defenders to help us stretch teams is what we're crying out for right now, lets hope Keegan spots this and moves to cover up what was fat Sam's biggest transfer blunder.

On any other board but this, I'd tell you what to do, but I'd be banned again because of you. So I'll restrict myself to what HTT told you last week. Dyer didn't perform for Newcastle and do what you say he did. Only someone who hardly saw him play would claim otherwise.

Which was  Fuck off.

What a depressing thread. Doom and gloom all around. We knew the fixtures when BSA went the journey, we saw the football and footballers he brought to our Club. There was no possibility it was going to get better. It wouldn't have next season either, we have a team of demotivated 'stars' with the possibility of the bad run continuing for a fair few weeks yet.

KK didn't need to come here, he wanted to. Why, because last time we were so close to something fantastic we could all sniff it. The place was buzzing, players wanted to come to be a part of it. You know what? they will again. But, we need to get through this crappy time together. And I mean together. The press and most of the population want him to fail. Of course they do. For the press it sells papers, sells more advertising, makes money. Those pics of Newcastle fans with their head in their hands is manna from heaven to the scum sucking pond life. Other teams see us as an emerging threat. Yes, a threat because thats what we will become when Kevin and Newcastle United start to roll in the right direction.

Can Ashley support the change required? too bloody right they can. Is the structure in place? It's getting there, no doubt back room staff will come at the end of the season when they will be able to move easier. Does Kevin know what he needs? Of course he does. He did last time and has 10 years more experience to go with it.

So what needs to happen? Simple, we need to get to the close season in the Premiership. Thats it. Then change will happen.

How do we retain our status in the Premiership. We pull together and give Newcastle United the support we know we can. All of us. This is no time for argument, division, name calling and twitchy arses. No time at all. Do not allow the press and sniping coming from outside to get in at all. SJP has to become a fortress. A hostile place as it bloody should be. Players will then be in no doubt that they have a responsibility to play to their best with no excuses. Their best is better than at least 3 other teams in this division. Home points will keep us up and then watch things happen. This summer will be a fantastic time watching players come in to make us better, much much better. Home wins are what we need, anything away will be a bonus.

Let the outside world know we are truly, Newcastle UNITED. Let our Manager and Owner know we are right behind them in everything we say and do. Stuff the press, let them find stories else where. Get rid of these negatives and excuses. Newcastle United FC is far more important than that.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I fear that your voice of reason will be drowned out by the clamour for kneejerk reaction, but it doesn't stop your contribution being one of the most sensible I've seen here for quite a while.

Guest kingdawson

In other news, Allardyce thinks he was too big for Newcastle...........

Sam Allardyce has claimed that rather than the Newcastle job being too big for him, he was too big for it.

The outspoken manager arrived on Tyneside with a big reputation after his sterling work at Bolton taking them from a Championship (then-First Division) outfit to regular qualification for Europe.

However, the dour football The Magpies fans were subjected to led him to soon being a target for the boo-boys, despite them residing comfortably in mid-table.

With the results under his successor Kevin Keegan so far making relegation an increasing possibility, has led many to question the timing of Allardyce's departure, not least 'Big Sam' himself.

"When you get sacked, reflection is a difficult scenario," Allardyce told The People. "The one thing you have to evaluate first and foremost is how much of it was your fault.

"I think you can accept it a lot more if you can come to terms with the fact that a good percentage of it was your fault - but that doesn't apply to me at Newcastle.

"The usual rubbish that goes when someone like me is sacked from a club like Newcastle is that that job was too big for me. That's just not true.

"If I'm honest, the reverse is probably true. Newcastle probably wasn't big enough for me - it didn't live up to my ambitions in the short time that I was there. And because it didn't do that, the club missed a chance to realise its own ambitions.

"The more I analyse it, the more I come to the conclusion that it was never about me or results and we have seen that with the appointment on Dennis Wise and various others.

"It was about things they wanted to put in place."

What a depressing thread. Doom and gloom all around. We knew the fixtures when BSA went the journey, we saw the football and footballers he brought to our Club. There was no possibility it was going to get better. It wouldn't have next season either, we have a team of demotivated 'stars' with the possibility of the bad run continuing for a fair few weeks yet.

KK didn't need to come here, he wanted to. Why, because last time we were so close to something fantastic we could all sniff it. The place was buzzing, players wanted to come to be a part of it. You know what? they will again. But, we need to get through this crappy time together. And I mean together. The press and most of the population want him to fail. Of course they do. For the press it sells papers, sells more advertising, makes money. Those pics of Newcastle fans with their head in their hands is manna from heaven to the scum sucking pond life. Other teams see us as an emerging threat. Yes, a threat because thats what we will become when Kevin and Newcastle United start to roll in the right direction.

Can Ashley support the change required? too bloody right they can. Is the structure in place? It's getting there, no doubt back room staff will come at the end of the season when they will be able to move easier. Does Kevin know what he needs? Of course he does. He did last time and has 10 years more experience to go with it.

So what needs to happen? Simple, we need to get to the close season in the Premiership. Thats it. Then change will happen.

How do we retain our status in the Premiership. We pull together and give Newcastle United the support we know we can. All of us. This is no time for argument, division, name calling and twitchy arses. No time at all. Do not allow the press and sniping coming from outside to get in at all. SJP has to become a fortress. A hostile place as it bloody should be. Players will then be in no doubt that they have a responsibility to play to their best with no excuses. Their best is better than at least 3 other teams in this division. Home points will keep us up and then watch things happen. This summer will be a fantastic time watching players come in to make us better, much much better. Home wins are what we need, anything away will be a bonus.

Let the outside world know we are truly, Newcastle UNITED. Let our Manager and Owner know we are right behind them in everything we say and do. Stuff the press, let them find stories else where. Get rid of these negatives and excuses. Newcastle United FC is far more important than that.

You are Tony Blair and you still sit in the seat in the Galloway End that you had in the 1980's  ;D

Hang on, I thought you were happy to see Dyer go, because we brought in Smith. You've always linked the two when defending Smith, now you say Dyer wasn't replaced?

No, I've never saw Smith as a replacement for Dyer, I just think he was a player available at the time and if anything a replacement for Ameobi in advance of showing the door to Ameobi. I've said this before Dave, when I had discussions with baggy, who said he was a direct replacement for Dyer. He may have been in monetary terms [worrying in itself] but not from a playing point of view and the wheeling and dealing that the new manager was making at the time.

To date, we haven't replaced Dyer with someone to take his place, of similar attributes but a better attitude and would play more. And we certainly haven't replaced Solano, although they may have thought Duff could do it to be fair.

Looking at the squad though, overall we lost these 2 players and didn't replace them with players who could step straight into the team and take their place.

Stop backtracking.

Allardyce said himself that Smith was Dyer's replacement and it was a shocking decision, if it was how you suggest and that he preferred to replace one 4th choice striker with another instead of bothering replacing Dyer at all then it was an even worse decision, his pace, off the ball movement and his ability to get in behind defenders to help us stretch teams is what we're crying out for right now, lets hope Keegan spots this and moves to cover up what was fat Sam's biggest transfer blunder.

On any other board but this, I'd tell you what to do, but I'd be banned again because of you. So I'll restrict myself to what HTT told you last week. Dyer didn't perform for Newcastle and do what you say he did. Only someone who hardly saw him play would claim otherwise.

Which was  Fuck off.

Fuck off? Oh dear, and to think people have been banned for similar in the past, lucky for you you're mates with HTT.

I can only put that little outburst down to the fact you've backed Alan Smith all of the way and you've now ended up with egg on your face as he's looked atrocious.

What's the point in signing another striker? The ones we have are good enough with the exception of Alan Smith. The problem is the midfield. It doesn't provide for the strikers and it doesn't protect the defence. We could buy Drogba, Henry, Carew and Benjani and we'd still be s***.

We're desperate for a striker in the summer imo. I think central midfield is probably the biggest problem but I'm not convinced any of our strikers are 'good enough'. Viduka is technically good and will score a few but his lack of mobility greatly limits any team. Shola isn't good enough, that's been pretty much proven. Smith looks s****. Martins is very inconsistent and Owen is rarely fit, half the player he was and potentially away in just over a year's time.

The entire structure of our attack and midfield is all wrong. The partnerships up front and in central midfield are all wrong in both areas.

what partnerships are they ? there hasn't been time to forge any partnerships since keegan came in. i doubt smith is his first choice forward nor barton/butt his first choice central midfield.

You see, people are making excuses for the new board not backing Keegan ie you and mick who didn't reply to my earlier question.

Keegan isnt' going to say anything other than what he said, because he quite firmly said that he wanted to bring in 2 or 3 players before the end of the transfer window.

So what do you think changed, when players moved during the window ? And don't forget about other players such as Bentley who's transfer value has most definitely gone up in the last week or two ie buying him in the summer will cost more than buying him in January, so whats this nonsense about people saying wait until the summer all about ? Especially when we are in a relegation struggle.

Fact is, the new board have cocked up with their policy, and they haven't recognised we have been playing a dangerous game with a squad short of numbers and quality.

The central midfield balance between Butt, Faye, Emre, Barton is weak and unbalanced. The central strikers of Owen, Smith, Martins, Viduka is the same.

Take into account other positions ie Enrique cost 6m quid and has hardly played, the failure to replace Solano. You are talking about major changes to the team here, and it won't be done looking around at 17 year old kids and cheap players out of contract alone.

They have failed to understand football and grasp what was needed.

didn't even see your earlier question.

keegan also quite firmly stated that in his view he couldn't get in anyone who was better than what we already had.

could it be the board have left it to the manager to decide ?

You see, this is the bit that I simply don't buy. We know Keegan, we all know he wants results yesterday. There is no way he hasn't came in and decided instantly that we need a striker and midfield player, and didn't already know players playing for clubs lower and/or smaller than us who would improve us overnight. Whats wrong with bidding for these players ?

He's being conservative with the truth, and rightly so in his position. He's missed off, at the end of his sentence, "for the money I have at the moment".

We are playing a dangerous game, dicing with our premiership status here.

or the players weren't available at the time?.

the woodgate bid wasn't leaked by NUFC the levante centre half thing wasn't denied by NUFC ..they say nowt. we have no idea who they went after in the most part.

for example...if we had bid for bentley,blackburn would hardly want it going public as they may have an unsettled player if an auction starts knowing full well that they'd get more in the summer if they wanted to sell.

i agree we are playing a dangerous game but you may well be falling for the idea of "because i don't see action then none is happening" during the window.

I can accept that is possible.

However, we know that Benjani was available, because he moved. Keegan may well think he wouldn't do better than Viduka, Smith or be a better partner for Owen or Martins, do you think so ? I don't.

The club - or somebody at the club - failed to grasp the need to replace Solano and Dyer, at least, letting them both go on transfer deadline day, and 5 months later still don't grasp it.

no but it's more than possible he didn't want to sign someone like that just until the end of the season when he'd want to get better again in.

FWIW i'd take martins,played correctly over benjani.

Keegan might like Martins, in the short term he might get more consistency of performance and application from him, but my guess is in the long term he'll get shot of him.

I agree - he WILL, one way or another...

Guest Brummiemag

I fear that your voice of reason will be drowned out by the clamour for kneejerk reaction, but it doesn't stop your contribution being one of the most sensible I've seen here for quite a while.

Great post, agree with you 100%

What's the point in signing another striker? The ones we have are good enough with the exception of Alan Smith. The problem is the midfield. It doesn't provide for the strikers and it doesn't protect the defence. We could buy Drogba, Henry, Carew and Benjani and we'd still be s***.

We're desperate for a striker in the summer imo. I think central midfield is probably the biggest problem but I'm not convinced any of our strikers are 'good enough'. Viduka is technically good and will score a few but his lack of mobility greatly limits any team. Shola isn't good enough, that's been pretty much proven. Smith looks s****. Martins is very inconsistent and Owen is rarely fit, half the player he was and potentially away in just over a year's time.

The entire structure of our attack and midfield is all wrong. The partnerships up front and in central midfield are all wrong in both areas.

what partnerships are they ? there hasn't been time to forge any partnerships since keegan came in. i doubt smith is his first choice forward nor barton/butt his first choice central midfield.

You see, people are making excuses for the new board not backing Keegan ie you and mick who didn't reply to my earlier question.

Keegan isnt' going to say anything other than what he said, because he quite firmly said that he wanted to bring in 2 or 3 players before the end of the transfer window.

So what do you think changed, when players moved during the window ? And don't forget about other players such as Bentley who's transfer value has most definitely gone up in the last week or two ie buying him in the summer will cost more than buying him in January, so whats this nonsense about people saying wait until the summer all about ? Especially when we are in a relegation struggle.

Fact is, the new board have cocked up with their policy, and they haven't recognised we have been playing a dangerous game with a squad short of numbers and quality.

The central midfield balance between Butt, Faye, Emre, Barton is weak and unbalanced. The central strikers of Owen, Smith, Martins, Viduka is the same.

Take into account other positions ie Enrique cost 6m quid and has hardly played, the failure to replace Solano. You are talking about major changes to the team here, and it won't be done looking around at 17 year old kids and cheap players out of contract alone.

They have failed to understand football and grasp what was needed.

didn't even see your earlier question.

keegan also quite firmly stated that in his view he couldn't get in anyone who was better than what we already had.

could it be the board have left it to the manager to decide ?

You see, this is the bit that I simply don't buy. We know Keegan, we all know he wants results yesterday. There is no way he hasn't came in and decided instantly that we need a striker and midfield player, and didn't already know players playing for clubs lower and/or smaller than us who would improve us overnight. Whats wrong with bidding for these players ?

He's being conservative with the truth, and rightly so in his position. He's missed off, at the end of his sentence, "for the money I have at the moment".

We are playing a dangerous game, dicing with our premiership status here.

or the players weren't available at the time?.

the woodgate bid wasn't leaked by NUFC the levante centre half thing wasn't denied by NUFC ..they say nowt. we have no idea who they went after in the most part.

for example...if we had bid for bentley,blackburn would hardly want it going public as they may have an unsettled player if an auction starts knowing full well that they'd get more in the summer if they wanted to sell.

i agree we are playing a dangerous game but you may well be falling for the idea of "because i don't see action then none is happening" during the window.

I can accept that is possible.

However, we know that Benjani was available, because he moved. Keegan may well think he wouldn't do better than Viduka, Smith or be a better partner for Owen or Martins, do you think so ? I don't.

The club - or somebody at the club - failed to grasp the need to replace Solano and Dyer, at least, letting them both go on transfer deadline day, and 5 months later still don't grasp it.

no but it's more than possible he didn't want to sign someone like that just until the end of the season when he'd want to get better again in.

FWIW i'd take martins,played correctly over benjani.

Keegan might like Martins, in the short term he might get more consistency of performance and application from him, but my guess is in the long term he'll get shot of him.

I agree - he WILL, one way or another...

he reminds me of Imre Varadi, needed a lot of chances to score a goal, and missed the easy ones. And that was in the 2nd division.

Utilise his pace and the talent he has, but he'll be looking for a more controlled player. In the short term he might be the player who scores the couple of vital goals to save us from going down, his goals kept us up last year. Maybe he needs confidence to be better, maybe he needs better players to be more consistent, when you hear rumours that Wenger is quite interested in him, it makes you wonder what he sees.

I remember in one game when Varadi missed a sitter and saw McDermott and Keegan looking at each other with a shake of their heads ....

People remember the goals he scored, and in that respect he did well during a time of rebuilding, but ultimately he was very limited .

:clap: :clap:

agreed.

It's been said many times but it can't be avoided: the football Keegan wants isn't feesible with this current crop of grafting, talentless manure than Allardyce bought in. He focused only on the fact we had a reputation of being fragile defensively and thus bought in a lot of crunchers largely short on creative talent - thankful for Beye and possibly Enrique, Viduka in theory if he can ever play a few games on the trot - but the people Keegan puts out can't do what he wants them to. The only way for him to see that Smith etc. are shit is to see them in action, although it worries me he still seems to rate them. When he took over before we were in a much worse position financially, lower down the leagues and on the brink of chaos and he still revolutionised the team and created one in the exact way he wanted. I know it's different now with lots of other teams able to match/better our financial clout, but surely Keegan is such a huge name in football/a persuasive man he'll be able to get some talent in to back his way of playing in the Summer. You can see by what the players have been saying about him what a legend he is etc. that as a manager he's an attractive proposition for a footballer. Don't think we'll buy any superstars but think we'll get some good players. He knows what we need and he's not going to go public slating our current crop as it just won't help. If we can all see how shit Smith, Butt and Barton are I'm sure he can too, he's not an idiot.

Let's hope we don't have a Howard Kendall situation. Great first time around, goes back about 10 years later and nearly goes down.

See also Graham Taylor.

Sorry, not allowed to think like that. We've got to all believe he'll spend £80m brilliantly in the summer and play swashbuckling football leading us into the Champions League next season.

Let's hope we don't have a Howard Kendall situation. Great first time around, goes back about 10 years later and nearly goes down.

See also Graham Taylor.

Sorry, not allowed to think like that. We've got to all believe he'll spend £80m brilliantly in the summer and play swashbuckling football leading us into the Champions League next season.

People can think or say what they want but most people tend to be pretty pessimistic after the initial euphoria so I'm not sure what you're saying, other than building a strawman argument. Who is saying we'll get into the Champions League next season? Rhetorical question btw.

fucking right.

great post

:clap: :clap:

agreed.

Damn fine post, couldn't agree more.

:coolsmiley: