Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

To be fair I never said 'ignore the defence'. If Dunne is available, get him in, for example.

What I mean is the focus and attention should be more on sorting out the bits of the team/squad that are complete gash. As of now, the defence doesn't come into that category when compared against the midfield.

You're right.

I wouldn't complain at going into next season with the current back-four as starters, but I can't say the same about at least 3 of the other positions on the park (Butt, Geremi and Viduka - who's crocked anyway, so make that Smith/Carroll.... :undecided:).

However, like you also said, we've got absolutely zero cover for either full-back and Edgar/Cacapa don't exactly fill me with confidence as pertains back-up to Taylor and Faye. Diatta - well who knows on him?

We definitely need another left-back if Zoggy goes (probably do anyway), at the very least, but in an ideal world I'd like to see us sign a quality centre-half. Dunne fits the bill, for me.

Dunne and Faye together shifts Taylor to the bench with Edgar/Diatta/younguns as emergencies. Looks good enough to me. Taylor can cover Beye to some degree, leaving just a left-back. Which as you say, we need anyway.

For this club at this time (no Europe etc etc), I think it's just about as good as it gets defensively.

Guest The Libertine

we've conceded 65 goals this season (in the league). thats makes us the third worst in the league in that area, just 1 goal above being joint second worst. say what you will about negative tactics and such, but anytime the defence comes under any kind of pressure it usually results in a mistake/goal.

defence is a priority now. we need at least 3 new defenders and Dunne would be a good start.

Just to expand on that, if you take away the Man Utd drubbings we let in 21 at home (that's less than 6th place Villa) and 33 away (only four more than Villa).

Then think about the fact we only scored 25 at home (less than relegated Birmingham) and 20 away (less than relegated Reading).

As usual, the solution lies somewhere in the middle - boom boom - but it's too simplistic to just look at the number we let in and say we need to replace three quarters of the defence.

You can't lump the defence altogether as one and say the current back four is not good enough! Bet beye, faye, taylor and enrique have a decent record as a unit other than one or two abberations where the whole team collapsed. Hardly fair to say 'look how many this mob conceded' when enrique barely got a run out for months bey and faye were in africa for weeks.

You can't lump the defence altogether as one and say the current back four is not good enough! Bet beye, faye, taylor and enrique have a decent record as a unit other than one or two abberations where the whole team collapsed. Hardly fair to say 'look how many this mob conceded' when enrique barely got a run out for months bey and faye were in africa for weeks.

Agreed.  You also can't blame the back 4 for all of the goals when earlier in the season we had a non-existent midfield add that to fact Rozehnal was first choice for a while.

That as well. :nods:

Just looking at a simple goals conceded statistic says as much about the players in front of the back 4 as the defenders themselves.

If the forwards and midfielders can't keep hold of the ball then the best defenders in the world will concede a few goals if the opposition regularly has the lions share of possession over a season.

We've enquired about Joao Moutinho according to a Portuguese lad on another forum, it's news doing the rounds over there.

Good player

we have been linked with there two CM now

they have just qualified for the champs league so dont know what chance we have of either him or Veloso

Rather have Veloso.

He is a DM

Mouthino is a creative midfielder

Veloso's a better player, I really do think Moutinho would struggle to adapt to the Premiership.

Aye just sayng we need players for both positions

Rather have Veloso.

He is a DM

Mouthino is a creative midfielder

Veloso's a better player, I really do think Moutinho would struggle to adapt to the Premiership.

Aye just sayng we need players for both positions

Yep, I believe Moutinho's more of a box to box player than creative midfielder, he covers a lot of ground.

Well seeing as we were after Modric then Moutinho probably makes more sense than Veloso as Moutinho's type of game is similar to Modric.

Moutinho is slight but very scrappy and dogged. I don't think he would struggle to adapt to the premiership. He's competitive in the same way a Mascherano or a Fabregas are, both smaller players, who don't get pushed around or overwhelmed physically.

In the beginning of 2005 he was called up for a game in the Portuguese Cup, thus making his official debut on 23 January 2005. Based on extremely consistent displays, Moutinho wasted no time in establishing himself as a regular as he quickly grew into a polished performer, able to play in any position across a flat midfield or in a diamond formation. His box-to-box dynamism and tremendous determination quickly made him a firm fans favourite, as he rarely missed a game since becoming a first-choice player.

Absolutely key.

We could be after both, it's 2 positions we need to fill and I don't think Ashley would be against splashing the cash if it is on young players who can have a big future here, would help them settle in the area better too.

Don't know if this has been posted already but beeb goosip says:

Tottenham and Newcastle are to battle it out for Manchester City defender Richard Dunne. (thisislondon.co.uk, 1125 BST)

Looks like we'll lose another :(

Alreeady in the dedicated Richard Dunne thread, sorry to repeat, ignore this.