Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Not sure how I'd feel about Sidwell. A bit 'meh' I think.

Exactly my thoughts, I'm not his biggest fan and I don't really see him as much of an improvement on anything we've currently got at the club.

Did nowt at Reading to make me think we should have matched Chelseas wage offer.

Darren Fletcher's being linked with Everton for slightly less than the Sidwell fee being bandied about. Not great, but still a good player imo.

Apparently Fletcher has signed a new contract last week, not that the papers are bothered about this!

Also, if Carlos leaves there have been whispers of Keane being approached as a number 2 there

Guest Brewcastle

From The Guardian:

"Newcastle United have been watching the promising Rosenborg midfielder Per Ciljan Skjelbred, but have not made a bid for the 21-year-old, according to the Norwegian club. Skjelbred, who turned down a contract offer from Liverpool as a teenager  :clap:, is in favour of a move to St James' Park as long as the clubs can agree a fee."

Come on then!

still being linked in some quarters. they play tonight, wonder if we'll have someone there. hope he has a stormer (laid the oppo and backed elfsborg in a double)

It will surprise me a lot if Rosenborg doesn't grab the three points tonight. And it will sure be clubs there watching "Ciljan" and a couple of other Rosenborg-lads.

Hopefully NUFC is represented too.

Another coming star: Alexander Tettey, maybe a lucky - but still a nice goal (wait a while for loading):

<Snip>

From The Guardian:

"Newcastle United have been watching the promising Rosenborg midfielder Per Ciljan Skjelbred, but have not made a bid for the 21-year-old, according to the Norwegian club. Skjelbred, who turned down a contract offer from Liverpool as a teenager  :clap:, is in favour of a move to St James' Park as long as the clubs can agree a fee."

Come on then!

still being linked in some quarters. they play tonight, wonder if we'll have someone there. hope he has a stormer (laid the oppo and backed elfsborg in a double)

It will surprise me a lot if Rosenborg doesn't grab the three points tonight. And it will sure be clubs there watching "Ciljan" and a couple of other Rosenborg-lads.

Another coming star: Alexander Tettey, maybe a lucky - but still a nice goal (wait a while for loading):

<snip>

lose the link. it's forbidden.

won a bit on rosenberg in the past. why did they have such a poor start to the season ?

Guest Maverick 089

You guys have been linked to Australian PSV Eindhoven midfielder Jason Culina.

'EXCLUSIVE: Paul Ince's Blackburn Rovers are seriously interested in either Jason Culina or Mark Bresciano to fill a spot in the club's midfield ahead of the new English Premier League season.

Culina is also attracting interest from two other EPL clubs.

"He scored against Newcastle a few years ago in a European game and they've been tracking him ever since. And Fulham are also looking at him," adds the source.'

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/79982,rovers-woo-roo-two.aspx

Guest Brewcastle

lose the link. it's forbidden.

won a bit on rosenberg in the past. why did they have such a poor start to the season ?

Good question. I'm not sure about the answer, but culd be:

The last seasons Rosenborg (RBK) have made many changes in the squad, and some in the staff. They have needed some time to get the new players in the RBK-playing-system. But RBK is a club everybody expect to win allmost every match. So the media and even the board got impatient when some bad results showed up. Some sacked managers/coaches followed that. . . (Heard it before? :angel:) and RBK struggeled even more to find back to their playing-system. In the summer Erik Hamrén started as new manager. He was hired many months ago, but had to finnish the season (and win the league) with his Danish club Aalborg BK first. It's obvious he have done some planning about how to manage RBK before started the job. Because the play and results have had a good progress with him now.

Scolari has said that he is looking to trim the squad by seven players.

Sidwell is the first, lets assume Lampard and Drogba will be second and third respectively. Shevchenko will probably be loaned out, maybe even sold. Ivanovic will probably go, can't see us going for him. If he chooses to sell Wright-Phillips I hope that we will at least show some interest, we've got to show we have aspirations to international players or how will we sign others in the future?

At least it looks like we won't be getting any Chelsea knock-offs this summer.

Sidwell is the first, lets assume Lampard and Drogba will be second and third respectively. Shevchenko will probably be loaned out, maybe even sold. Ivanovic will probably go, can't see us going for him. If he chooses to sell Wright-Phillips I hope that we will at least show some interest, we've got to show we have aspirations to international players or how will we sign others in the future?

with spiderman and milner (who apprently wont be sold according to .com/shields gazzette), i cant see us going fro SWP

I think SWP will go to Pompey.  'Arry's putting together an impressive squad irrespective of whether SWP goes there or not.

with spiderman and milner (who apprently wont be sold according to .com/shields gazzette), i cant see us going fro SWP

I still think that we could be dragged in to the merry-go-round that has been mentioned before. Should Villa not be able to sign SWP or Bentley I am sure that they will come for Milner.

From The Guardian:

Come on then!

<Snip>

are you norwegians all the same? fucking annoying :S

I think SWP will go to Pompey.  'Arry's putting together an impressive squad irrespective of whether SWP goes there or not.

It's frightening what he's stitching together from other's cast off's and cheap players.

It's frightening what he's stitching together from other's cast off's and cheap players.

He's also spent a good amount of money mind. Probably only 2 or 3 clubs have a net spend of more over the last couple of seasons.

He's doing a good job, but he's not quite the wheeler dealer, doing it on a shoestring manager the press would have you believe.

Looking back at the initial post I'd still fancy Gudjonsen, Diop & Barnes. We don't appear to be looking to spend big money & these 3 would be very useful additions albeit that Barnes is perhaps the only one we could attract at this stage. I'll mention Heskey again; I'm sure he'd do a job.

We couldn't attract Diop? :lol:

He's getting his game, Pompey won the cup & are in europe. Why'd he leave? The sad fact is that Pompey are a more attractive team to be with at the moment.

We couldn't attract Diop? :lol:

He's getting his game, Pompey won the cup & are in europe. Why'd he leave? The sad fact is that Pompey are a more attractive team to be with at the moment.

Even if you aren't playing?

Was just having a look and we stil need a lot of new players.

Backup RB

CB

Backup LB

Atleast 1 CM

Another Striker

So that's atleast 5 new faces we need in, assuming we don't sell anyone else. Can we get them and more importantly can we get the quality?

Backup RB

CB

Backup LB

Atleast 1 CM

Another Striker

Wouldn't want to sign anyone that we automatically class as backup or squad player. Our team is below average, our squad is small, so anyone we do sign has be on a par or better then what we have & have as good as chance as the fella he competing with to play.

Backup RB

CB

Backup LB

Atleast 1 CM

Another Striker

Wouldn't want to sign anyone that we automatically class as backup or squad player. Our team is below average, our squad is small, so anyone we do sign has be on a par or better then what we have & have as good as chance as the fella he competing with to play.

In a perfect world I agree but if we can't get the quality we still need a player in who can play that position. The last thing we want is signing nobody and then having Enrique break his leg on September 1st and having play a midfielder or youngster at LB until January.

Good question. I'm not sure about the answer, but culd be:

The last seasons Rosenborg (RBK) have made many changes in the squad, and some in the staff. They have needed some time to get the new players in the RBK-playing-system. But RBK is a club everybody expect to win allmost every match. So the media and even the board got impatient when some bad results showed up. Some sacked managers/coaches followed that. . . (Heard it before? :angel:) and RBK struggeled even more to find back to their playing-system. In the summer Erik Hamrén started as new manager. He was hired many months ago, but had to finnish the season (and win the league) with his Danish club Aalborg BK first. It's obvious he have done some planning about how to manage RBK before started the job. Because the play and results have had a good progress with him now.

Oh, come on. "Some" changes in staff? They've owned the league for 13 years, and when they couldn't get immediate success after changing manager, they changed again. And again. And again, when immediate success wasn't followed up the next season. And again. Most of the time with inexperienced managers within the organisation. Meanwhile, other clubs have built on what they had, and with better results. It's too early to say whether Hamrén will be much of a success -- he might win the league this year (possible, but not all too likely), but will he be sacked if he doesn't win it next year? An efficient system, and stability, is what made RBK into what they were. These days, they don't have the former because they lack the latter.

I quite enjoy the situation, myself.