Newcastle is Peru...

Guest thenorthumbrian

Well written I'm sure it will upset his colleague Louise who displays such jaundiced and often vitriolic views on all things Newcastle.

Undoubtedly Newcastle has been blessed with some courageous and dynamic civic planners over the last couple of decades. Nowt happens for nowt.

Guest Knightrider

Meanwhile as the City rises and the business, culture, science and whatever else world paint a glorified picture of Toon, the underbelly of the City is dying. I should know I live in the West End of the City and it's a fucking shit hole. Fuck the City centre and all these art buildings and whatnot, makes no difference when the real people who make up the City, who the City belongs to, are struggling badly in every aspect of life from education to jobs, to poverty to crime. I dare anyone to walk along Armstrong/Elswick road (or Benwell) at night and not be terrified in some way. I'm from this area and what I see scares the shit out of me and if anything things are getting worse. Newcastle is a great City in parts and yes all this regeneration and whatever is a positive, but who for? Reporters from the Guardian, art critics, culture buffs etc?

The way I see it is that the City has lost a lot of it's old character and virtures, along with the people. Don't get me wrong I love my City and there isn't a place on Earth I'd rather be but lets not pretend it's great and on the up. The scenery may have changed and the place may smell fresh and new, but outside the City centre it's a hell hole on many levels and all this money coming in I feel needs redirected outwards, not inwards.

Meanwhile as the City rises and the business, culture, science and whatever else world paint a glorified picture of Toon, the underbelly of the City is dying. I should know I live in the West End of the City and it's a fucking shit hole. Fuck the City centre and all these art buildings and whatnot, makes no difference when the real people who make up the City, who the City belongs to, are struggling badly in every aspect of life from education to jobs, to poverty to crime. I dare anyone to walk along Armstrong/Elswick road (or Benwell) at night and not be terrified in some way. I'm from this area and what I see scares the shit out of me and if anything things are getting worse. Newcastle is a great City in parts and yes all this regeneration and whatever is a positive, but who for? Reporters from the Guardian, art critics, culture buffs etc?

The way I see it is that the City has lost a lot of it's old character and virtures, along with the people. Don't get me wrong I love my City and there isn't a place on Earth I'd rather be but lets not pretend it's great and on the up. The scenery may have changed and the place may smell fresh and new, but outside the City centre it's a hell hole on many levels and all this money coming in I feel needs redirected outwards, not inwards.

Have a fucking word.

Guest Knightrider

Have a fucking word.

You don't even live here IIRC so wind your neck in.

Have a fucking word.

What the fuck has that got to do with it? Born in Wallsend and lived there for 23 years. I certainly understand economic regeneration and you clearly dont so why dont you wind your neck in.

EDIT - I also travel back to the area around 12 times a year on average, spending time in the most economically deprived area in the whole region.

Guest Knightrider

the west end in the early 90s was arson and riot capital of britain, i'd say things have got a fair bit better since then. imo of course. knockingdown half the houses hasn't helped mind you.

The riots were bad, but it was a one off, things have progressively gotten worse since then though on many levels. Sure there are no riots and shops aren't being burned down every night but whole communities have been destroyed, people have been dispersed, kids roam the streets, fighting, murder, drugs, crime, everything, is rife. It's a fucked up place.

Guest Knightrider

Have a fucking word.

What the fuck has that got to do with it? Born in Wallsend and lived there for 23 years. I certainly understand economic regeneration and you clearly dont so why dont you wind your neck in.

EDIT - I also travel back to the area around 12 times a year on average, spending time in the most economically deprived area in the whole region.

So you pay a visit now and then, big fucking deal. There is nowt wrong with my comments on the City. The regeneration was needed and has been a positive as I've noted, but the more the City centre thrives, the less the rest does it seems. I just wish the Guardian would go deep into Newcastle and write a story about it, put it this way it would be a lot less pleasent reading than the above bollocks.

Guest Knightrider

Every major city has its dumps behind the shiny new centre tbh. Leeds has some right holes I wouldn't go near.

They do, but that doesn't mean it should be accepted, ignored or washed over. There is a lot of money being wasted in Newcastle in the name of regeneration. Whole areas are being demolished, the land put up for sale to developers. New housing they say. New opportunities they say. A new start. Bull shit. The area I grew up in is now no more, just wasteland. Fuck all wrong with the area that some attention and listening to the people wouldn't put right. But no, that's not the way things are done these days. Out with the old, in with the new. And they wonder why there are all these problems.

And Chez, don't talk to me about economics. I run a business in the area I'm talking about. I have seen friends lose thier business and communities lose their economies.

Have a fucking word.

So you pay a visit now and then, big fucking deal. There is nowt wrong with my comments on the City. The regeneration was needed and has been a positive as I've noted, but the more the City centre thrives, the less the rest does it seems. I just wish the Guardian would go deep into Newcastle and write a story about it, put it this way it would be a lot less pleasent reading than the above bollocks.

I assume you are referring to your post.

Unbelievable. On the one hand saying the city needs regenerating and on the other saying that i cant comment on it as i moved away (clearly for economic reasons).

Hypocrisy or just idiocy? Perhaps both in this case.

Pay a visit? Yes, to go to the match, more than you do.

Every major city has its dumps behind the shiny new centre tbh. Leeds has some right holes I wouldn't go near.

They do, but that doesn't mean it should be accepted, ignored or washed over. There is a lot of money being wasted in Newcastle in the name of regeneration. Whole areas are being demolished, the land put up for sale to developers. New housing they say. New opportunities they say. A new start. Bull shit. The area I grew up in is now no more, just wasteland. Fuck all wrong with the area that some attention and listening to the people wouldn't put right. But no, that's not the way things are done these days. Out with the old, in with the new. And they wonder why there are all these problems.

And Chez, don't talk to me about economics. I run a business in the area I'm talking about. I have seen friends lose thier business and communities lose their economies.

So tell me your regeneration plan then, i could do with a laugh.

Guest Knightrider

Have a fucking word.

Unbelievable. On the one hand saying the city needs regenerating and on the other saying that i cant comment on it as i moved away (clearly for economic reasons).

I said wind your neck in not because you don't have a right to comment about regeneration but because you have no right to pour scorn on my views which are deep rooted and at least, unlike yourself, come from a daily understanding of things given I live, work and play in the kind of neglected run down areas that I'm bemoaning, issues that don't effect you or issues you can't truly understand so pardon me when I take offence at some fucker saying "have a word".

Have a fucking word.

I said wind your neck in not because you don't have a right to comment about regeneration but because you have no right to pour scorn on my views which are deep rooted and at least, unlike yourself, come from a daily understanding of things given I live, work and play in the kind of neglected run down areas that I'm bemoaning, issues that don't effect you or issues you can't truly understand so pardon me when I take offence at some fucker saying "have a word".

I said have a word because you were talking through your arse. You still are you patronising twat.

Guest Knightrider

Have a fucking word.

I said have a word because you were talking through your arse. You still are you patronising twat.

About what, in what way? What is it you think I'm talking out of my arse about. That the City outside of the centre is falling a part or being neglected? That parts of this regeneration is misguided or unnecessary or that the City has lost a lot of it's character and virtues? Or was it the line "fuck the City centre" that offended you?

Meanwhile as the City rises and the business, culture, science and whatever else world paint a glorified picture of Toon, the underbelly of the City is dying. I should know I live in the West End of the City and it's a f****** s*** hole. f*** the City centre and all these art buildings and whatnot, makes no difference when the real people who make up the City, who the City belongs to, are struggling badly in every aspect of life from education to jobs, to poverty to crime. I dare anyone to walk along Armstrong/Elswick road (or Benwell) at night and not be terrified in some way. I'm from this area and what I see scares the s*** out of me and if anything things are getting worse. Newcastle is a great City in parts and yes all this regeneration and whatever is a positive, but who for? Reporters from the Guardian, art critics, culture buffs etc?

Have a f****** word.

What the f*** has that got to do with it? Born in Wallsend and lived there for 23 years. I certainly understand economic regeneration and you clearly dont so why dont you wind your neck in.

So you pay a visit now and then, big f****** deal. There is nowt wrong with my comments on the City. The regeneration was needed and has been a positive as I've noted, but the more the City centre thrives, the less the rest does it seems. I just wish the Guardian would go deep into Newcastle and write a story about it, put it this way it would be a lot less pleasent reading than the above bollocks.

I said have a word because you were talking through your arse. You still are you patronising t***.

About what, in what way? What is it you think I'm talking out of my arse about. That the City outside of the centre is falling a part or being neglected? That parts of this regeneration is misguided or unnecessary or that the City has lost a lot of it's character and virtues? Or was it the line "f*** the City centre" that offended you?

hasn't it always been like that,the reputation of scotchy and elswick as dodgy areas go way back. the council can make the places look better but can do little about some of the shit that lives in it.

Guest Knightrider

Meanwhile as the City rises and the business, culture, science and whatever else world paint a glorified picture of Toon, the underbelly of the City is dying. I should know I live in the West End of the City and it's a f****** s*** hole. f*** the City centre and all these art buildings and whatnot, makes no difference when the real people who make up the City, who the City belongs to, are struggling badly in every aspect of life from education to jobs, to poverty to crime. I dare anyone to walk along Armstrong/Elswick road (or Benwell) at night and not be terrified in some way. I'm from this area and what I see scares the s*** out of me and if anything things are getting worse. Newcastle is a great City in parts and yes all this regeneration and whatever is a positive, but who for? Reporters from the Guardian, art critics, culture buffs etc?

Have a f****** word.

What the f*** has that got to do with it? Born in Wallsend and lived there for 23 years. I certainly understand economic regeneration and you clearly dont so why dont you wind your neck in.

So you pay a visit now and then, big f****** deal. There is nowt wrong with my comments on the City. The regeneration was needed and has been a positive as I've noted, but the more the City centre thrives, the less the rest does it seems. I just wish the Guardian would go deep into Newcastle and write a story about it, put it this way it would be a lot less pleasent reading than the above bollocks.

I said have a word because you were talking through your arse. You still are you patronising t***.

About what, in what way? What is it you think I'm talking out of my arse about. That the City outside of the centre is falling a part or being neglected? That parts of this regeneration is misguided or unnecessary or that the City has lost a lot of it's character and virtues? Or was it the line "f*** the City centre" that offended you?

hasn't it always been like that,the reputation of scotchy and elswick as dodgy areas go way back. the council can make the places look better but can do little about some of the shit that lives in it.

They have always been rough aye, but savage? I actually agree that making places look better isn't going to work if nothing is done about the shite within, but then that is exactly what has happened in the past and seems to be happening all over again today. After the riots the council decided to throw money at communities, sprucing up streets and house fronts, streets and houses that didn't need it, as if to placate the people, while neglecting the real issues or just ignoring them in the hope they'd go away or that the people themselves would sort themselves out and their problems. Which didn't happen of course. The answer to everything now today seems to be to demolish and start again. Or to move the trouble makers to another area. Nothing has been done really to tackle the problems other than cosmetically.

Take upper Scotswood, the streets that have somehow been saved from demolishment (for how long?), the council are spending millions on replastering, redecorating, new doors, windows etc. etc. at a huge cost yet there is nothing remotely wrong with those houses. Wouldn't a single mother in a council house not be better served by having her rent halved or her fuel bills paid instead of giving her home a lick of paint and newer doors, bearing in mind it wasn't that long ago when they originally did work on houses?

That extra savings might enable that single mother to take her kid out more often, to lift their standard of living, if only a little.

And now we learn the one good thing the council got right, street wardens, are to be reduced in numbers. Can't afford them apparently. Oh, but you can afford to sponsor some culture event or art show? Doesn't tally up I'm afraid.

I guarantee in the next 5-8 years there will be riots again and burning skies within such areas like the West End. The place is a ticking timebomb. Every negative aspect of society is on the up and up. And that's just what you hear about in the Chronicle. If half the things got reported...

Me I'm glad my City's centre is getting world-wide recognition, winning awards and becoming a big hit with outsiders, but I can't fucking stand the place, it's false as fuck.

Have a f****** word.

hasn't it always been like that,the reputation of scotchy and elswick as dodgy areas go way back. the council can make the places look better but can do little about some of the s*** that lives in it.

They have always been rough aye, but savage? I actually agree that making places look better isn't going to work if nothing is done about the s**** within, but then that is exactly what has happened in the past and seems to be happening all over again today. After the riots the council decided to throw money at communities, sprucing up streets and house fronts, streets and houses that didn't need it, as if to placate the people, while neglecting the real issues or just ignoring them in the hope they'd go away or that the people themselves would sort themselves out and their problems. Which didn't happen of course. The answer to everything now today seems to be to demolish and start again. Or to move the trouble makers to another area. Nothing has been done really to tackle the problems other than cosmetically.

Take upper Scotswood, the streets that have somehow been saved from demolishment (for how long?), the council are spending millions on replastering, redecorating, new doors, windows etc. etc. at a huge cost yet there is nothing remotely wrong with those houses. Wouldn't a single mother in a council house not be better served by having her rent halved or her fuel bills paid instead of giving her home a lick of paint and newer doors, bearing in mind it wasn't that long ago when they originally did work on houses?

That extra savings might enable that single mother to take her kid out more often, to lift their standard of living, if only a little.

And now we learn the one good thing the council got right, street wardens, are to be reduced in numbers. Can't afford them apparently. Oh, but you can afford to sponsor some culture event or art show? Doesn't tally up I'm afraid.

I guarantee in the next 5-8 years there will be riots again and burning skies within such areas like the West End. The place is a ticking timebomb. Every negative aspect of society is on the up and up. And that's just what you hear about in the Chronicle. If half the things got reported...

Me I'm glad my City's centre is getting world-wide recognition, winning awards and becoming a big hit with outsiders, but I can't f****** stand the place, it's false as f***.

i thought your whole point was tha they ignored the likes of scotchy etc now you tell us about how much they are spending on it.

no doubt if nothing was done someone else would be on here having a go at the state of it and that the council was doing nowt. at the same time as saying about what the council are(n't) doing shouldn't we be looking at the real reason for that areas problems...the sizeable minority of scummy folk who live there.