Newcastle Jets

Guest Deep456

Guest Deep456

I must say our Australian counterparts looked a very good team today on sky. A much more pacy and skillful side than our current lot.

Yes, I watched the whole game live and although they did play well today, the Newcastle United Jets are not the best team in the A League ; the team they beat(Queensland Roar) have been the most attractive side - Kruse and Zullo(who played well today, although I reckon Kruse is the more effective winger)are two of the best prospects in Aussie Football ; both 19 and with plenty of skill.

Watch out also for Nathan Burns at Adelaide - another talented 19 year old forward..

The Jets are a good possession side on their day though, and today was their day - did anyone hear the commentator say that the ground is being redeveloped into a 45,000 all-seater stadium!??

I said on another thread that Aussie football is on the up...Newcastle are a decent club but they don't have the potential crowds that Sydney or Melbourne Victory have ; when those 2 met up in the first A-League final a couple of years ago, there were 52,000 at the game in Melbourne...

Did anyone notice the sign being held up among the Jets fans saying 'NUFC' with a Star motif!??

Obviously some expat Geordies in the crowd(there are many former N/Easterners in Newcastle - even some of the suburbs have names like Jesmond and Wallsend...!).

This is the club FS tried to buy back in 2002, but Con Konstantine, the club President, wouldn't sell although they were keen on keeping links with us...obviously that fell by the wayside..!

when ive seen the aussie league Juninho looks by far the best player. also craig moore stands out a bit too, which shows it has a long way to go yet.

TBH, Craig Moore stood out in our defence when he was fit (although that's not saying much).

when ive seen the aussie league Juninho looks by far the best player. also craig moore stands out a bit too, which shows it has a long way to go yet.

TBH, Craig Moore stood out in our defence when he was fit (although that's not saying much).

Apart from when running was involved, he would only occasionally go up for corners due the fact in would take him a while to get back in position.

Kruse and Zullo(who played well today, although I reckon Kruse is the more effective winger)are two of the best prospects in Aussie Football ; both 19 and with plenty of skill.

Watch out also for Nathan Burns at Adelaide - another talented 19 year old forward..

Hmmm not really they had OK debut seasons but none have produced in any big games yet. All have been easily knocked off their games by early bruising challenges. Tahj Minniecon is another youngun that hasn't produced yet but may make it in the end simply because he has so much raw pace.

The only on field player in the A-League currently who has shown signs of being good enough to make it in Europe is Joel Griffiths (Newcastle Jets). Natural striker, good finisher, golden boot of the league, bit of pace, consistent performer, good amount of arrogance about him. Carried the entire team for half the season. I think he's about 21? You'll probably see him kicking about the Eredivisie or Bundesliga or something similar next year. Vastly superior to Alan Smith... but lets not go there.

Only other player who has shown enough talent to definately make it in Europe is Mark Milligan (CB Sydney FC), but he's had an awful few months and if he doesn't sort his head out is well on the way to being another Titus Bramble. Would be a shame though...

Me and my lass are gonna try to get shifted to OZ and little does she know that these are the team i am gonna follow (its the name thing obv)  i think she is under the impression that by leaving the toon football stays here too.....ah how wrong you are my dear :)

Kruse and Zullo(who played well today, although I reckon Kruse is the more effective winger)are two of the best prospects in Aussie Football ; both 19 and with plenty of skill.

Hmmm not really they had OK debut seasons but none have produced in any big games yet. All have been easily knocked off their games by early bruising challenges. Tahj Minniecon is another youngun that hasn't produced yet but may make it in the end simply because he has so much raw pace.

The only on field player in the A-League currently who has shown signs of being good enough to make it in Europe is Joel Griffiths (Newcastle Jets). Natural striker, good finisher, golden boot of the league, bit of pace, consistent performer, good amount of arrogance about him. Carried the entire team for half the season. I think he's about 21? You'll probably see him kicking about the Eredivisie or Bundesliga or something similar next year. Vastly superior to Alan Smith... but lets not go there.

Only other player who has shown enough talent to definately make it in Europe is Mark Milligan (CB Sydney FC), but he's had an awful few months and if he doesn't sort his head out is well on the way to being another Titus Bramble. Would be a shame though...

No - Griffiths is 28, nearly 29(born 1979) .. has already been to UK with Leeds in 2006 and it didn't work out.

The younger players I mentioned need building up physically(weight training would make a huge difference to Kruse' upper body in my opinion) but they have both pace & skill as well as being almost 10 years younger than Griffiths.

Look at what happened to KK - when he was a young player at Scunthorpe he was small and lightweight ;

he took up body-building and weights and the rest is history..I saw KK play at Darlo when he was with Scunthorpe and he looked nothing special(this was 1969/70)..two years later Bill Shankly signed him...

Pedro was also ruled out because of his size when young, as was Bryan Robson....!

Agree with you about Milligan though - needs proper defensive coaching in my view but has the potential to be a good defender.

No - Griffiths is 28, nearly 29(born 1979) .. has already been to UK with Leeds in 2006 and it didn't work out.

The younger players I mentioned need building up physically(weight training would make a huge difference to Kruse' upper body in my opinion) but they have both pace & skill as well as being almost 10 years younger than Griffiths.

Look at what happened to KK - when he was a young player at Scunthorpe he was small and lightweight ;

he took up body-building and weights and the rest is history..I saw KK play at Darlo when he was with Scunthorpe and he looked nothing special(this was 1969/70)..two years later Bill Shankly signed him...

Pedro was also ruled out because of his size when young, as was Bryan Robson....!

Agree with you about Milligan though - needs proper defensive coaching in my view but has the potential to be a good defender.

ahh I didn't know he was that old. Will be interesting to see how the youngsters in the A-League develop, obviously there are a lot of injuries that can happen putting on the required muscle. The game has changed a lot since the 70s and they'll have to be very lucky to make it I reckon.

Guest diddimz

upset the roar lost, my club over here, though i was born in sydney but use to play in the roars youth.If only newcastle could play like we have been

how did Mario Jardel do? He was a fantastic player at his best

'Forklift' Jardel?

Well he certainely demolished the local pie shops. The heavy industrial moving equipment he required to transport his considerable girth about the pitch somewhat restricted his effectiveness in front of goal, however.

There was the odd flash of something every now and then but it was quite sad to see such a player reduced to a circus act, wheeled out for 20 minutes at the end of the game for shits and giggles.

Eh? Juninho?

He's played about two times, both times he's been poor.

It's definitely on the improvement the league over here, probably League 1/2 standard.

Some very skillful players, but the tempo is slow.

Watch out for Nathan Burns from Adelaide United, he's currently on trial with SK Brann, but he'll be coming back here to take part in our Asian Champions League campaign.

Bruce Djite is another impressive youngster on our books.

Bruce Djite is another impressive youngster on our books.

Personally I think there's more hype than substance to Djite, but on the few occasions I've seen him play he has a sort of "fan's favourite" about him - he's big and fast and exciting, but I don't think he has enough...

I watched the highlights of that Queensland-Newcastle game, and it looked far better than the MLS, two leagues which I think can be easily compared.  The crowds were a lot better in Australia, and it looked really exciting, although I know that's just one game and it's just highlights.  But I think I'd rather watch that than some of the tripe MLS peddles out.

Guest diddimz

the standard isnt world class by any stretch of the imagination, but the games are nearly always enjoyable to watch, even when we scored only once at home for most of the first season we were still having crowds of 15000+ at the roar. the league has a long way to go, but the signs of improvement are there for all to see, crowds come and will continue to improve with time, melbourne drew around 40k to one league game last season. Ideally id like to see a fizzy pop league championship team head on over for a tour just to see how we can compare to them. Id say we are a slightly better standard the the US currently as well, its just a shame that Pim doesn't rate our league, how are we ment to blood youngsters into the national team when the manager doesn't rate them

good young side the newcastle jets are we a feeder club

NUFC to Jets ?

They wouldn't take the sh1te that we lumbered ourselves with !