What's the hardest task for KK?

bulivye

Achieving the kind of football he wants/we need with the under-par squad he has available to him. Once he's done this, wins/relegations should become less of an issue, the media might get off our backs a bit, and he can start on the foundations for next year. I think that's the key issue.

Achieving the kind of football he wants/we need with the under-par squad he has available to him. Once he's done this, wins/relegations should become less of an issue, the media might get off our backs a bit, and he can start on the foundations for next year. I think that's the key issue.

i take this to mean he must motivate the current squad.  yes?

Guest battyleespeed

- Uniting the current squad and backroom staff till the end of the season, restoring morale and confidence

- Getting the team to score regularly from open play

- Avoiding relegation

- Dealing with fan frustrations and expectations

- Identifying correct transfer targets that will transform the squad

- Replacing the current so-called key players like Given, Butt and Owen

- Assuming we dont have that much cash to burn figuring how to get the most out of limited or underperforming players like Milner, Geremi and Barton

- Keeping N'Zogbia

KK will be needing all his experience and more to sort this one out.

i take this to mean he must motivate the current squad.   yes?

Motivate, energize, kidnap their families... whatever it takes to get them playing football is what I mean. It's the most difficult task as haven't played properly for so long.

- Uniting the current squad and backroom staff till the end of the season, restoring morale and confidence

- Avoiding relegation

- Assuming we dont have that much cash to burn figuring how to get the most out of limited or underperforming players like Milner, Geremi and Barton

- Keeping N'Zogbia

are you suggesting Given needs to be shipped out/sold? 

Guest battyleespeed

- Avoiding relegation

- Keeping N'Zogbia

are you suggesting Given needs to be shipped out/sold? 

On current form, certainly yes.

Loyal servant to the club and all that but my opinion (and what others have been saying for long time) is that we need totally different keeper who can actually inspire, command the penalty box and come out for crosses etc. So even if Given manages to recover from his woeful form KK absolutely needs to look into to the keeping department and start building from there.

Guest rebel_yell12

- Avoiding relegation

- Keeping N'Zogbia

The fact that you'd rather replace Given and Owen than replace Geremi or Barton provides ample enough evidence of a totally different understanding of the problem at Newcastle that I nearly didn't bother replying.  My more argumentative personality won out.  The simple fact is, the strikers and keepers are not the problem.  The horrific clusterf*** that is the midfield is the glaring problem.  That is where money needs spent and quality needs to be brought in.  Replacing Given and/or Harper won't help the defence nearly so much as getting them some protection and assistance from a decent midfield.  Nor would replacing a striker of Owen's quality (or of Martins' or even Viduka's quality) alleviate the problem of a midfield that can not retain possession nor deliver a consistently decent ball in to the forwards. 

Keegan's hardest task?  That would be sorting out the central issue first -- the midfield -- without having brought in any new players in January (not that that is precisely his fault, imo).  Only when the midfield is sorted can or should a decent assessment of the other positions be undertaken.  A talented midfield can make a whole team look fairly good, whilst a very poor midfield makes the rest of the team look sh*** as well. 

Also -- if you grant them nothing else, at least neither Shay Given  nor Michael Owen are half-likely to end up in prison in the next few months.  Rather have players like Given and Owen than players like Barton.  Hell, even Nicky Butt at least doesn't miss training and matches because he's in gaol/up on charges of assault.  I'd even rather have Butt than Barton -- but maybe I'm just a bit bias against a lad who can't seem to keep out of any sort of trouble for more than a fortnight.  One time is a bad mistake.  Twice is troubling.  This many problems is evidence of a character flaw that no club wants or needs and especially not a club with more than enough troubles ON the pitch.  For now, Newcastle are stuck with Barton (as the CM position is the weakest) but he needs replacing over the summer.  Assuming there is anyone buying, of course, but personally, the sooner NUFC are shot of his problems the better.

- Avoiding relegation

- Keeping N'Zogbia

The fact that you'd rather replace Given and Owen than replace Geremi or Barton provides ample enough evidence of a totally different understanding of the problem at Newcastle that I nearly didn't bother replying.  My more argumentative personality won out.  The simple fact is, the strikers and keepers are not the problem.  The horrific clusterf*** that is the midfield is the glaring problem.  That is where money needs spent and quality needs to be brought in.  Replacing Given and/or Harper won't help the defence nearly so much as getting them some protection and assistance from a decent midfield.  Nor would replacing a striker of Owen's quality (or of Martins' or even Viduka's quality) alleviate the problem of a midfield that can not retain possession nor deliver a consistently decent ball in to the forwards. 

Keegan's hardest task?  That would be sorting out the central issue first -- the midfield -- without having brought in any new players in January (not that that is precisely his fault, imo).  Only when the midfield is sorted can or should a decent assessment of the other positions be undertaken.  A talented midfield can make a whole team look fairly good, whilst a very poor midfield makes the rest of the team look sh*** as well. 

Also -- if you grant them nothing else, at least neither Shay Given  nor Michael Owen are half-likely to end up in prison in the next few months.  Rather have players like Given and Owen than players like Barton.  Hell, even Nicky Butt at least doesn't miss training and matches because he's in gaol/up on charges of assault.  I'd even rather have Butt than Barton -- but maybe I'm just a bit bias against a lad who can't seem to keep out of any sort of trouble for more than a fortnight.  One time is a bad mistake.  Twice is troubling.  This many problems is evidence of a character flaw that no club wants or needs and especially not a club with more than enough troubles ON the pitch.  For now, Newcastle are stuck with Barton (as the CM position is the weakest) but he needs replacing over the summer.  Assuming there is anyone buying, of course, but personally, the sooner NUFC are shot of his problems the better.

*cough* Emre *cough*.

Top post, spot on in my opinion. Our midfield offers insufficient/inadequate defensive protection and just as little going forward. Don't think the wingers are too bad, Zoggy is mint, Milner is consistently one of our better players and Duff's looking decent, just think Butt/Barton/Smith/Geremi deployed in central midfield this season have been woeful. Faye and Emre vs. Man U please.

Guest battyleespeed

- Avoiding relegation

- Keeping N'Zogbia

I wouldn't be surprised if KK comes up with something new in regards of Geremi as he is quite versatile and KK has history of converting players to new positions. Geremi does not seem to expect to be automatic starter like Given and Owen, he is far more team player than that, so he can kept around as a backup player. About Barton, KK himself said that it is yet another clean start for him so I don't see much to lose even if he is given another chance. I don't think Barton has been able to perform at his best yet but he has shown glimpses of what he is capable off and he is still relatively young. For me these two players might yet come good or at least useful compared to money we might get for selling them. As with Geremi, I think Barton would be allright with rotation.

When it comes to Given and Owen they have always demanded automatic starting place and they wouldn't hang around for long if they would not be given roles that would satisfy their egos and professional pride. It is just a personal opinion but I would not build team around them and since they seem to be players that won't settle for lesser role they would need to go. More importantly for sake of building new team they need to go. If KK can actually build a succesfull team with these two players in major roles then all credit to him but I just can't see it happening. I've seen argument that Owen will come good if he has better players around him but I see little point in building a team around injury prone 28-year old striker who, thesedays, bases his play solely on pouching goals inside the penalty box.

You are right about the midfield... one more tough task for KK. However, our midfield has nothing to do with Given's problems and I think we know enough about Owen to know that he is not the type of striker and "blue-chip player" to deliver what we need to succeed. You might be right about problem solving having to start from midfield, here's hoping KK will get it right.

- Avoiding relegation

- Keeping N'Zogbia

If we don't, he's fucked.

Most difficult for KK ?

Staying up using the useless pack of crap currently being used.

I'd say it is nigh on impossible.

I mean Butt and Smith for instance....

JEEEEZZZZUUSSS.....................

The midfield of our darkest nightmares.

But they keep getting selected.

Is it in their frigging contracts ?????????????????????????

Guest rebel_yell12
I wouldn't be surprised if KK comes up with something new in regards of Geremi as he is quite versatile and KK has history of converting players to new positions. Geremi does not seem to expect to be automatic starter like Given and Owen, he is far more team player than that, so he can kept around as a backup player. About Barton, KK himself said that it is yet another clean start for him so I don't see much to lose even if he is given another chance. I don't think Barton has been able to perform at his best yet but he has shown glimpses of what he is capable off and he is still relatively young. For me these two players might yet come good or at least useful compared to money we might get for selling them. As with Geremi, I think Barton would be allright with rotation.

When it comes to Given and Owen they have always demanded automatic starting place and they wouldn't hang around for long if they would not be given roles that would satisfy their egos and professional pride. It is just a personal opinion but I would not build team around them and since they seem to be players that won't settle for lesser role they would need to go. More importantly for sake of building new team they need to go. If KK can actually build a succesfull team with these two players in major roles then all credit to him but I just can't see it happening. I've seen argument that Owen will come good if he has better players around him but I see little point in building a team around injury prone 28-year old striker who, thesedays, bases his play solely on pouching goals inside the penalty box.

You are right about the midfield... one more tough task for KK. However, our midfield has nothing to do with Given's problems and I think we know enough about Owen to know that he is not the type of striker and "blue-chip player" to deliver what we need to succeed. You might be right about problem solving having to start from midfield, here's hoping KK will get it right.

On Geremi -- I agree that he is versatile and would be a good squad player.  I would actually like to see the club keep him, he looked fairly good at the ACoN and his team did well, which means a confidence boost.  All good things, and he could come back to Newcastle and contribute quite a bit to a very poor midfield.  However, I don't understand choosing players BECAUSE they don't believe they are good enough to be in the XI every time -- being a team player is all well and good, but I want players who are firmly confident that they ARE good enough.  Maybe that's just me. 

On Barton -- you didn't address my issues with Barton.  I never said he was a bad player (although he's not been impressive either, imo).  I just don't like the little git.  He can't stay out of trouble, and I know Keegan said he has a new start now at Newcastle but I don't trust him not to f*** this one up as well, it's clearly a pattern with him.  Newcastle have enough trouble on the pitch, and decent player or not, he needs replacing because of his troubles OFF the pitch.  Rotation won't solve his problems.

On Given and Owen -- both generally DO deserve to start in this XI, so what's wrong with them knowing that?  Who is better than Michael Owen on this team?  Honestly?  Someone proven over 10 years, all but one in the Premier League and that as the goalscorer with the highest goals to minutes ratio in La Liga?  Simple fact is, Given when playing to his usual standard is also the best keeper.  Why shouldn't they expect to start? 

On Owen in particular -- I have never seen the lad throw a strop, or do anything that would suggest he's not a team player.  A bit selfish because he's a striker, yes.  That's hardly unique to Michael Owen.  Don't build a squad around him, it's not necessary.  Just put in a decent midfield, he'll come good.  He's already coming good, with the only two goals in the EPL since Keegan's arrival.  He's getting  good run of matches under his belt for the first time in two years.  I'm not going to slag off one of the currently best performing players at Newcastle.  Keep him.  He's about the only top-class player Newcastle have (and Given, Zoggy's looking that way, Faye and Beye definitely worth keeping -- class defenders...but only Given can compete with Owen for proven, long-term quality).

Guest rebel_yell12

Also, I meant to add, battyleespeed, that you say Barton is "relatively young" but I'm pretty sure he's 25 -- far from young enough for his problems off the field to be attributed to his youth, he should have some sense by that age.  And for God's sake, Michael Owen is only 28 -- many players have a good 6-10 years left at his age (Shearer made it to 36 , Sheringham is still playing!).  With his early entrance and the undoubted wear and tear on his body, yes, it's likely to be closer to six than ten but I think a half-dozen years is worth getting in a midfield that will play good through balls, to his feet.  Not because he's Michael Owen, but because that's needed for ALL Newcastle's strikers, and in fact, for most strikers in all the leagues.  If Owen was guaranteed to stay for six years, would you still say a team shouldn't be built that suits him (note, not AROUND him, but one that would suit him)? 

Of course, this could all be pointless.  No doubt, if/when Benitez leaves Liverpool there will be a flood of "Owen to return to Liverpool" stuff in the press since the impression seems to be that Benitez never cared much for Owen or his popularity and influence in the dressing room.  By that, I don't mean that Owen was a disruptive influence or difficult to manage -- it wasn't an ego issue -- but the rumours were/are that Owen was too popular among his teammates and had a "clique" with Carragher, Gerrard, Murphy and Hamann that the other players tended to follow, which might undermine the new manager's policy.  With Benitez out, no doubt the press would be certain that Owen would be off to Liverpool soon as could be arranged.  Which is why I'm hoping the contract issue gets settled now that Owen seems to be getting a good run of fitness and coming back into form.  Another issue for KK to deal with -- renewing the right contracts, and not renewing the wrong contracts. 

Guest smarty2006

The next 3 fixtures are  X-rated for us, KK hardest task is going to be keeping the morale high until we play Birmingham. We absolutely must take points off lower teams. We are at a major juncture right now, if we can get to the summer staying up then exciting times are ahead for sure, but if we plummet to the championship?...doesn't bare thinking about.