Obafemi Martins

Wullie

to be fair to the lad he's injured. I hope we excerise the loan option but chances are he's gone.

Shame, despite his sketchy finishing and underdeveloped football brain he could have been a nufc legend had we bough one single midfielder capable of hitting a pass. We all knew it was the priority in the summer AND in Jan yet nowt was done about it, which is why we're down.

IMHO he will get sold like a lot of the high wage earners if anyone will take them,never been a traditional toon centre forward obviously those days are gone but we need a regular scorer and he just didnt do that and the occasional goal just isnt good enough.

to be fair to the lad he's injured. I hope we excerise the loan option but chances are he's gone.

Shame, despite his sketchy finishing and underdeveloped football brain he could have been a nufc legend had we bough one single midfielder capable of hitting a pass. We all knew it was the priority in the summer AND in Jan yet nowt was done about it, which is why we're down.

He blew chance after chance even with a poor midfield. The penalty against Arsenal, the volley over from 6-yards versus Portsmouth, the two good chances against Fulham, the volley over yesterday, the header just wide (granted that was tricky).

Take just one of those, and chances are we're still a Premiership club right now. They weren't overly difficult chances either. As for the "he can create something out of nothing" crap, what's the point of that if he can't finish a bowl of soup?

Guest BooBoo

Seriously, when was the last time he "created something out of nothing?" He's bloody hopeless.

He blew chance after chance even with a poor midfield. The penalty against Arsenal, the volley over from 6-yards versus Portsmouth, the two good chances against Fulham, the volley over yesterday, the header just wide (granted that was tricky).

Take just one of those, and chances are we're still a Premiership club right now. They weren't overly difficult chances either. As for the "he can create something out of nothing" crap, what's the point of that if he can't finish a bowl of soup?

17 goals in 06-07 suggests you're wrong. But what's the point in debating it, he's gone

Top and bottom of it is, when you think over the last 3 seasons, some of the good times and you think who was pretty much the main reason for them, it is Martins. He was involved in every single one like UEFA cup vs AZ at home, the win against Liverpool, the draw vs Man U, the wins against Tottenham, the end of last season he played a massive part in that, beating Villa, beating Pompey, the goal vs Boro. Whether you think he's a fucking clueless prick or mint, facts are that in this crap season he's the only one that's provided something with some pretty good goals and some flair and passion at times, yeah he bottled it in the latter games but that was down to pressure and low confidence, something that everyone else was suffering with. He probably will go to someone like Genoa, and have a good career, he'll be a huge miss imo.

I still rate him and would like him to stay. He has clearly been going at half pace in recent weeks, unsurprisingly since he is injured, and no doubt this has affected his performance. While he did not score he made some good contributions and its just a pity that most of the chances he got fell to his right foot.

As for the chances out of nothing, look at fulham and that long ball at hughes

None of the chances you mention were anywhere near as simple as Owen's vs Pompey. If there's one chance that should be to blame for all of our troubles, that's the one.

That chance earlier could have saved us, unbelievable miss.

Unfortunately only he would have been sharp enough to even get a volley off in a split second. That's the dilemma.

Not much of a dilemma given his inability to hit the target. It'll be good to get rid of him.

Yeah we need a striker who plays at the same pace as the rest of the team, slow and lumbering.

Well I'm pleased those 17 goals in 06-07 have done us good this season. F*cking hell man, even Marcus Stewart got a similar amount in a Premiership season once.

talking about correlation here. With a half-decent midfield behind him he looked twice the player

I'd say a penalty at 0-0 when we're on top against a side like Arsenal is a pretty critical miss like.

Yet we still equalised and had a chance to push on then, but we didn't. Arsenal were on a 16 game unbeaten streak, you really think we would've won still, that they would have just rolled over? considering we were up on Man U at one point yet still lost, i seriously doubt it was anywhere near as critical as a one-on-one against a team that have pretty much been as shit as us all season.

Guest neesy111

I'd say a penalty at 0-0 when we're on top against a side like Arsenal is a pretty critical miss like.

Yet we still equalised and had a chance to push on then, but we didn't. Arsenal were on a 16 game unbeaten streak, you really think we would've won still, that they would have just rolled over? considering we were up on Man U at one point yet still lost, i seriously doubt it was anywhere near as critical as a one-on-one against a team that have pretty much been as shit as us all season.

if we had scored that penalty we would of won imo, we we're all over them 1st half

Well I'm pleased those 17 goals in 06-07 have done us good this season. F*cking hell man, even Marcus Stewart got a similar amount in a Premiership season once.

talking about correlation here. With a half-decent midfield behind him he looked twice the player

I'd say it was more down to the fact that he was a new quantity in the Premiership and defenders were scared of his pace, and of the unknown. The last 18 months or so, defenders have sussed him out.

No, we need a quick striker who uses his pace to effect.

One of those would be fine. That's ok then, lovely jubbly. Shame about the rest of the turgid legless wonders but no doubt a top striker will fix all.

if we had scored that penalty we would of won imo, we we're all over them 1st half

We would have got stuffed after playing shit in the 2nd half as usual.

One of those would be fine. That's ok then, lovely jubbly. Shame about the rest of the turgid legless wonders but no doubt a top striker will fix all.

I want to know what a thread questioning Martins' attributes has got to do with the rest of the pile of sh*te in the squad?

Guest neesy111

Martins won't and hasn't improved as a footballer since he played his first game

and this making something out of nothing, he hasn't done anything since his overhead kick v bolton almost two years ago

Yet we still equalised and had a chance to push on then, but we didn't. Arsenal were on a 16 game unbeaten streak, you really think we would've won still, that they would have just rolled over? considering we were up on Man U at one point yet still lost, i seriously doubt it was anywhere near as critical as a one-on-one against a team that have pretty much been as s*** as us all season.

Meh what does it matter, we're down anyway and he'll be gone. In reality there are numerous different occasions which cost us tbh, could easily blame Howard Webb for being a tit, Owen or Martins, or Steven Taylor for playing Kamara onside, or Loven missing vs. Everton, or Barton being sent off, or Nicky Butt for giving away about 5 pens, or Ryan Taylor for chesting it down, or Jonas for not scoring vs West Ham etc. There's so many things that could have saved us, and we never took one of them, yeah Oba had a few chances but so did others, nobody stepped up.

I want to know what a thread questioning Martins' attributes has got to do with the rest of the pile of sh*te in the squad?

I think it was pointed out on MOTD yesterday that we were one of the slowest teams in the Premier. While I agree that martins has some of those faults people bring up regularly I think our team is desperately short of pace. Will we replace him with someone better? I doubt it.

I actually want to sell Martins as it happens, just not for the reasons others are giving. For me he won't want to play in the Championship so he's best gone.  Like the vast majority in our current squad he's not worth the money he's on.