Moving on from the prositutes of football.

Guest toonlass

Guest toonlass

What makes a supporter a supporter?

Are you a supporter if you never go to a game but buy merchandise(such as shirts), even if there are tickets spare, such as in cup games or does that just make you a fan? Are you a supporter only if you do go to the game? What is the criteria for being a supporter of a football club?

Anyone who sticks with the club through thick and thin is a supporter.

There are different levels to it though; from the casual fan to the die-hards, from those who'll go to a game if it suits them to those who'll spend a lot of time and money traveling to remote European towns to watch as play in Europe (ok so maybe not this year). I don't really criticise or have anything against any of our fans unless they only bother with us when we're doing well.

I don't think you have to do anything really. If you're a supporter you're a supporter imo. Circumstances obviously can hinder the physical methods in which you carry that support out (ie distance/money/time), but if someone says they love the Toon then that's good enough for me! :D

What makes a supporter a supporter?

Are you a supporter if you never go to a game but buy merchandise(such as shirts), even if there are tickets spare, such as in cup games or does that just make you a fan? Are you a supporter only if you do go to the game? What is the criteria for being a supporter of a football club?

a "true" supporter is someone who no matter how the results go and how the yers pass is there (in passion),even saying this i have to say that those who feel the geographical pull must feel it more.

not to slag off the outsiders but i'm sure they'll understand the 1st and 2nd part of the original paragraph

Well I suppoer Barcelona though I have never been to a barca game, and only watch them on the tv. Does that mean I'm not a supporter ? I have a NUFC season ticket but I have friends who can't afford to go to the games, that doesn't make them less of a supporter than me surely.

I don't think you have to do anything really. If you're a supporter you're a supporter imo. Circumstances obviously can hinder the physical methods in which you carry that support out (ie distance/money/time), but if someone says they love the Toon then that's good enough for me! :D

" i 'm a toon fan...was an ipswich fan but we didn't get promoted and newcastle fans seem such a fun bunch".......?

I don't want to sound like a super fan or anything, but for my age, i'd class myself as a proper supporter.

I worked as a paper lad for 2 years, to save up and go to away games by myself, due to my parents not being able to afford away tickets as well as buying me a season ticket.

Basically, i've dedicated my life to Newcastle, and i can only see myself getting worse.

Anything i do has to be connected to the Toon, my room is mental, i constantly shout toon songs around the house, and can just never get NUFC off my mind, ever.

It's quite bad with me, i'll get up on a morning and start clapping toon songs, sing to local hero as my alarm, get up everyday at 7.00 in the school holidays to go and stand, see and talk to the players on freezing cold mornings.

I know i'm probably just a keen young lad, but i can possibly see Newcastle taking over my life.

When people ask me what i want to do in the future, i just tell them i never want to miss another Newcastle game ever.

My parents want to move abroad when i leave school and take me with them, i couldn't bear leaving my team behind.

Sorry for the essay  :lol:

Simple rule of thumb: if you can truly, sincerely emphasize with the club, you're a fan. Geographical location is completely secondary to the location of your heart.

I would have complete respect for any Man Utd fan(well, as much respect as I can have for a supporter of those shitbags) if they traveled to Old Trafford as often as they humanly can, if they felt devastated when the scum crashed out of the Champions League two years ago, if they fought back tears seeing Solskajer retiring.

If you can feel for your team, respect to that. It's the plastic fans who carry around "Man U and Arsenal" as some sort of brand status symbol, like a Gucci or Prada bag, that are a plague to football.

This.

I don't want to sound like a super fan or anything, but for my age, i'd class myself as a proper supporter.

I worked as a paper lad for 2 years, to save up and go to away games by myself, due to my parents not being able to afford away tickets as well as buying me a season ticket.

Basically, i've dedicated my life to Newcastle, and i can only see myself getting worse.

Anything i do has to be connected to the Toon, my room is mental, i constantly shout toon songs around the house, and can just never get NUFC off my mind, ever.

It's quite bad with me, i'll get up on a morning and start clapping toon songs, sing to local hero as my alarm, get up everyday at 7.00 in the school holidays to go and stand, see and talk to the players on freezing cold mornings.

I know i'm probably just a keen young lad, but i can possibly see Newcastle taking over my life.

When people ask me what i want to do in the future, i just tell them i never want to miss another Newcastle game ever.

My parents want to move abroad when i leave school and take me with them, i couldn't bear leaving my team behind.

I recommend a course of ritalin.

Sorry for the essay  :lol:

You'll end up getting depressed and may find yourself institutionalised if we don't get better any time soon.

Fan - who doesnt actively support the club either in person or financially, but looks out for the team.

Supporter - Someon who follows thwe club actively and supports the team in person and financially.

Neither of the definintoins are different in there love and passion for the team.

Fan - who doesnt actively support the club either in person or financially, but looks out for the team.

Supporter - Someon who follows thwe club actively and supports the team in person and financially.

Neither of the definintoins are different in there love and passion for the team.

dorset mancs ?

ive never been at st.james park, (planning to go this year) altough ive been supporting NUFC since i was 7, thats 16 years now acually! (im 23 in a month)... ive stayed a supporter trough thick and thin (yeah, whatever that means) but still, never been at st.james...

even trought the manchester game, where i was sitting with 6 mufc fans (we were under 5-0), i was cheering my heart and lungs out, but still... the way you scream doesnt make you a "true supporter either!

ive seen every game this year on telly, and im planning to see as many as possible trough this new year as well!

however ive seen some arguments both now and earlier, and tbf, if your a geordie, it doesnt mean you are a better fan than someone from abroad... if you see every game on a season (on st.james and around england), it doesnt mean you are a better fan!

since im from abroad.. this would be my favourite quote today "Simple rule of thumb: if you can truly, sincerely emphasize with the club, you're a fan. Geographical location is completely secondary to the location of your heart." its almost poetic... :D

ok, so im not i die hard fan, i dont travel from norway every friday to spend the weekend to see a nufc match (as if i could afford it, money and timewise)

but if some asshole start saying im not a nufc fan, a supporter in that meaning, well, that person can expect a good old fashioned face beating!!!

peace out! :p

so if i dont spend £££££ on nufc, im just a fan?

I don't know why this argument has erupted and I'm also pretty sure that there is no-one on here who truly resents any non-Geordies supporting the club. Some just think, and it's up to you whether you totally agree or not, that local fans just have a closer connection, and yeah, thats quite obviously fair enough. I live in Lincoln and can hardly get to any games, so yes I'd say that there are people on here who are 'better' supporters than me because they go to more games and the like.

At the end of the day though, who cares? If your heart is in it, that's all that matters really. We're all here for NUFC, we're all madly in love with it, and the local fans should feel some form of pride that so many non-locals choose to follow their city's football club.

I don't go to games or buy merchandise.

Follow the results, regulary view this forum.  Only 21 but started supporting Newcastle in the KK years with Andy Cole.

When used to play football pretend i was Peter Beardsley, so you can say i grew up always as a NUFC fan.

Been to only 3 games, last one went to was Wolves vs Newcastle - fa cup so weren't the best.

Watch every newcastle i can on television.  If this makes me less of a fan - well fuck ya. primarily speaking to NM and CG.

i wonder if geordies acually know how much money is beeing spent abroad for merchandises and tv rights and so on to see theyr matches, i think withouth us there wouldnt be much money for nufc to spend on players as well!

the main problem for me is that if a "true geordie" says im not a supporter becouse im not born in newcastle... as a "fan/supporter" that really hurts... its acually theyr hometeam i support!!! they should be very proud that people travel from all around the world, just to see newcastle play.. they should be proud we turn on the telly, and put on each of our shirts named shearer owen keegan or whatever, and stand up to all the glory hunters around the world and say, newcastle is the better team, becouse we have heart!!!

i wonder if geordies acually know how much money is beeing spent abroad for merchandises and tv rights and so on to see theyr matches, i think withouth us there wouldnt be much money for nufc to spend on players as well!

the main problem for me is that if a "true geordie" says im not a supporter becouse im not born in newcastle... as a "fan/supporter" that really hurts... its acually theyr hometeam i support!!! they should be very proud that people travel from all around the world, just to see newcastle play.. they should be proud we turn on the telly, and put on each of our shirts named shearer owen keegan or whatever, and stand up to all the glory hunters around the world and say, newcastle is the better team, becouse we have heart!!!

Erm, has anyone actually said you're not a supporter?

Erm, has anyone actually said you're not a supporter?

yes, similair things have been said! but ill alther the tread a bit as my english might be a bit misleading, i was trying to make an exaple out of things! :)

however what i was trying to say was that geordies or hard core fans shouldnt judge a fan/supporter based just on how much money he/she spends, or how many matches he/she attends every season....

Its not a negative definition, by no means is it a negative definition, all im doing is quantifying the difference im my opinion of a fan and a supporter, i think they're slighlty different but one is no worse than the other. At the end of the day if they truly love the club, then thats all that matters.

"Im a supporter i buy every shirt" - That infuriates me, a supporter is somebody who, will try there upmost to attend matches whenever they can. A supporter feels genuine hurt when the team lose's to the rivals/anyone for that matter, a supporter is someone who wouldnt stop watching their team for the world.

Its not a negative definition, by no means is it a negative definition, all im doing is quantifying the difference im my opinion of a fan and a supporter, i think they're slighlty different but one is no worse than the other. At the end of the day if they truly love the club, then thats all that matters.

ok, well said :)  :clap: