We Got Keegan

Crumpy Gunt

To be fair to Crumpy he wasn't happy when Keegan was appointed, and he wasn't the only one.

I don't care what anyone thinks now. A stadium full of whiners, boo boys and negative attitudes will have us hoping that the Clubs below us don't collect half a dozen more points cos we'll get none and be screwed.

Just making the point that from Crumpy at least, this is not something he's suddenly decided. Like a lot of people seem to do.

Six games, three against Arsenal and Manure and one against fifth place Villa and some of you are at it already with "Keegans useless, the worlds over".. you make me f****** sick you bunch of pointless whiners! (not all of you oviously, just the whiners) :)

I never wanted him back.

And tbf we have been pummeled 4 times since he arrived. Absolutely raped.

No we haven't we weren't pummeled in the first game against Arsenal, also while we were beaten quite easily in the second we were hardly raped, and this is away twice to the top team in the league.  Away to Villa, who are now 4th, we were pummeled in the end, Manure, second best in the league also pummeled us.  What sort of chance is that to give a manager before jumping on his back with histerical ramblings about how he's useless at everything?  Its complete bollocks, when Keegan arrived we had an extremely bad team that's been trained for the past 8 months to boot the ball as high and long as possible, they're confidence was lower then a Smoggy prostitute.  Yet apparently some people here expected the same team to go out, play Football, and not get beaten comfortably by 4 of the top 4-5 sides in the league in Keegans first 6 games!  No manager in the world could achieve that you fucking maniacs!

Agreed. Give our Kev a chance you moaners and f*** off.

Of course he would be given the chance. I couldn't see him being sacked for the next 2 seasons unless we relegated this year. Ashley will be fully responsible for the mess if he really sacked Kev before the end of 2009.

Just that I'm really, really not impressed by what he did so far. His lack of tactical knowledge is really worrying and the only hope we have is he can spend big money this summer to overturn it. But honestly if Kev can only make us marginally survive this season, there is really a chance that Ashley eating back his words and didn't support Kev like what he promised before.

To be fair to Crumpy he wasn't happy when Keegan was appointed, and he wasn't the only one.

I don't care what anyone thinks now. A stadium full of whiners, boo boys and negative attitudes will have us hoping that the Clubs below us don't collect half a dozen more points cos we'll get none and be screwed.

Just making the point that from Crumpy at least, this is not something he's suddenly decided. Like a lot of people seem to do.

Yep.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=49034.0

Guest Milburnthedog

All entitled to their opinion, now lets support Newcastle before we're dragged in to the real crap. 12 home points there for the taking with lots of effort on and off the pitch, lets do our part.

Guest MaetihS

Six games, three against Arsenal and Manure and one against fifth place Villa and some of you are at it already with "Keegans useless, the worlds over".. you make me f****** sick you bunch of pointless whiners! (not all of you oviously, just the whiners) :)

I never wanted him back.

No we haven't we weren't pummeled in the first game against Arsenal, also while we were beaten quite easily in the second we were hardly raped, and this is away twice to the top team in the league.  Away to Villa, who are now 4th, we were pummeled in the end, Manure, second best in the league also pummeled us.  What sort of chance is that to give a manager before jumping on his back with histerical ramblings about how he's useless at everything?  Its complete bollocks, when Keegan arrived we had an extremely bad team that's been trained for the past 8 months to boot the ball as high and long as possible, they're confidence was lower then a Smoggy prostitute.  Yet apparently some people here expected the same team to go out, play Football, and not get beaten comfortably by 4 of the top 4-5 sides in the league in Keegans first 6 games!  No manager in the world could achieve that you f****** maniacs!

Partly right but i do not expect us to beaten so badly and play like championship teams. even teams like reading, birmingham and the likes do not get thrashed like us. i think we prob have the worst record against the top 4 teams.

To me, proof that a tactical manager is better than a motivator. Does anyone think we'd have had some of the thrashings of late had Deschamps for example been appointed?

Deschamps was the stand out manager for me, young, and successful in his short career, played attacking football and would of had a decent pot to work with, would of been disciplined and would of been extremely up to date with current coaching set ups. Not saying he;d of done any better and i dont think keegan could of done any better but i think it would of been a hell of a lot more ambitious manager in appointeing a CL finalist than to get Keegan.

Im happy to stick by Keegan because there is definitely something different about him, and i am very excited to see what the summer has to offer, if anyone has an eye for flair and skill then its got to be Keegan. Hopefull we wont go down, hopefully our current standing wont put players off.

Something that does wind me up btw is that it's seemingly impossible to criticise Keegan without tons of people thinking you want him out, right now. It's bollocks.

He's made some decisions so far that have backfired badly. I'm still behind him. Does that compute?

No we haven't we weren't pummeled in the first game against Arsenal, also while we were beaten quite easily in the second we were hardly raped, and this is away twice to the top team in the league.  Away to Villa, who are now 4th, we were pummeled in the end, Manure, second best in the league also pummeled us.  What sort of chance is that to give a manager before jumping on his back with histerical ramblings about how he's useless at everything?  Its complete bollocks, when Keegan arrived we had an extremely bad team that's been trained for the past 8 months to boot the ball as high and long as possible, they're confidence was lower then a Smoggy prostitute.  Yet apparently some people here expected the same team to go out, play Football, and not get beaten comfortably by 4 of the top 4-5 sides in the league in Keegans first 6 games!  No manager in the world could achieve that you f****** maniacs!

Just a question, should we play those match with a bit of prudence and try to sneak a point or should we play "attacking football" and everyone knows got hammered was the only result?

Agreed. Give our Kev a chance you moaners and f*** off.

Of course he would be given the chance. I couldn't see him being sacked for the next 2 seasons unless we relegated this year. Ashley will be fully responsible for the mess if he really sacked Kev before the end of 2009.

Just that I'm really, really not impressed by what he did so far. His lack of tactical knowledge is really worrying and the only hope we have is he can spend big money this summer to overturn it. But honestly if Kev can only make us marginally survive this season, there is really a chance that Ashley eating back his words and didn't support Kev like what he promised before.

do you not think that Kev may be compromised somewhat by the shower of shite he inherited?

f*** off!

Fat Boy in goal apart..I'd have nearly all of their first team players traded for ours.

We need to rebuild the same way they did when Arnesen and Jol (and that fat French guy aswell) first came, by signing young talent and taking a gamble on young players from lower divisions.

It'll take 2 years atleast to compete with teams in the top 8/9 in the Premiership.

FFS it's King who's injury record is even worse than Woodgate and Huddlestone who is just a statue!

They have good players, so do we. You'd hardly say Tainio, O'hara are players much better than ours right?

Their players are better, but they performed well because Ramos know how to make them perform.

I totally disagree. Aye King & Woodgate are liabilities and their defence couldn't cope.. but that was the only thing wrong with Spurs, they could score and create plenty but would concede more. We have many more problems.

Are Tainio/Huddlestone/O'Hara worse than Butt/Geremi/Barton. For a magnitude of reasons I'd have those 3 instead of ours. Not to say I want us to sign them..because I don't but they are better than the best of us.

Managers play a large role of course but I really don't think we have many "good" players at all who can perform anywhere near consistently.

I never wanted Keegan in the first place he can hardly polish turd that we have.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Something that does wind me up btw is that it's seemingly impossible to criticise Keegan without tons of people thinking you want him out, right now. It's bollocks.

He's made some decisions so far that have backfired badly. I'm still behind him. Does that compute?

affirmative.  concurred here.

f*** off!

Fat Boy in goal apart..I'd have nearly all of their first team players traded for ours.

We need to rebuild the same way they did when Arnesen and Jol (and that fat French guy aswell) first came, by signing young talent and taking a gamble on young players from lower divisions.

It'll take 2 years atleast to compete with teams in the top 8/9 in the Premiership.

FFS it's King who's injury record is even worse than Woodgate and Huddlestone who is just a statue!

They have good players, so do we. You'd hardly say Tainio, O'hara are players much better than ours right?

Their players are better, but they performed well because Ramos know how to make them perform.

Are Tainio/Huddlestone/O'Hara worse than Butt/Geremi/Barton. For a magnitude of reasons I'd have those 3 instead of ours. Not to say I want us to sign them..because I don't but they are better than the best of us.

Those three players have their best years ahead of them.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

also, i don't think i've seen this posted anywhere, but here's a nice article from the guardian

Keegan faces challenge to adapt to the modern game

Newcastle's defeat to Man Utd showed Kevin Keegan must quickly come to terms with the athletic and tactical demands of the Premier League

Louise Taylor

February 23, 2008 8:21 PM

As coaches and players alike are prone to reflecting: "If you've got pace you've got a chance."

Unfortunately Newcastle United possess very little and, once again, it showed. Indeed with lightning acceleration a commodity in worryingly short supply among those wearing black and white, the quickest home player on view, Charles N'Zogbia, was sometimes dispatched as the lone defender, usually minding Carlos Tevez, when Newcastle won corners.

No matter that N'Zogbia is one of Kevin Keegan's most menacing attackers and also takes a mean dead ball, the ersatz left-back's speed dictated that he was needed lest United looked to capitalise on the counter-attack. Granted that plan was relatively quickly in tatters but it highlights the paucity of Keegan's options and the folly of not reinforcing his squad during January.

In front of the Frenchman down the left, Damien Duff emphasised that his once potent change of pace has dwindled away as, time after time, the left winger was dispossessed by Sir Alex Ferguson's players.

When Duff initially disappointed for Newcastle following his £5m move from Chelsea Glenn Roeder frequently reiterated the mantra: "Form is temporary but class is permanent and Damien is class." Sadly while Duff's football brain still looks stellar and the knack of winning the odd dangerous free-kick remains, his legs can no longer execute his brain's instructions.

For anyone who regularly watched the Irishman in his thrilling heyday at Ewood Park, Duff's decline is almost painful to witness. Talking of his former club, Blackburn Rovers are in Toon next Saturday for a game Newcastle really need to win if discussions about relegation battles and Keegan's ability to weather the storm are not to become uncomfortably intense.

After being ultimately overlooked for the Newcastle job last month Mark Hughes, Blackburn's manager will perhaps want to prove a point on Saturday. Only last week Sir Alex Ferguson was reminiscing about an FA Cup tie in which he was forced to move Hughes, then a United striker, into midfield and, only half-joking, enthused: "Sparky made 350 tackles and won them all." If such committed zeal has become a stranger to certain Newcastle players this season, the world's best tacklers can struggle to legitimately intercept individuals with the pace and sheer skill of United's Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani, to name just two of Ferguson's multi-gifted ensemble.

Football is an infinitely faster, more athletic and physically draining game than even 11 or so years ago when Keegan's old Newcastle beat Manchester United 5-0 here but whereas some managers - step forward the unlamented, in Geordieland at least, Sam Allardyce - have responded by building physically imposing yet depressingly robotic teams, Sir Alex's great knack has been to seamlessly incorporate all the now more or less mandatory physical attributes with an enduring fantasy element. A little over a decade ago Keegan proved brilliant at inspiring Geordie dreams; now his challenge is not only to repeat that hardly insignificant feat but adapt to the raised bar presented by the modern game's athletic and tactical demands.

The summer's transfer market dealings will be key but impending tests against not only Blackburn's Hughes but Liverpool's Rafael Benítez, Birmingham's Alex McLeish, Fulham's Roy Hodgson, Tottenham's Juande Ramos, Reading's Steve Coppell, Portsmouth's Harry Redknapp, Sunderland's Roy Keane, West Ham's Alan Curbishley, Chelsea's Avram Grant and, finally, Everton's David Moyes at Goodison Park may offer a few pointers. The first win of Keegan's second managerial incarnation on Tyneside cannot come quickly enough.

To me, proof that a tactical manager is better than a motivator. Does anyone think we'd have had some of the thrashings of late had Deschamps for example been appointed?

Ramos doing well over a period of 29 games with a team that finished 5th the season before compared to Keegan not doing well over a period of 6 games (4 against the top 5) with a team that finished 13th the season before is proof of something?..  I hope you're not in the police force.. I'd fear for the innocent if you were.

Guest Milburnthedog

Just the wrong time to start proving each other right and wrong. Total support is required. No ammo for the detractors, people from outside and the press. The pressure is building anyway. Comments like the ones at the end of MOTD "Newcastle with no wins in ten are sliding" will do that without us fighting as well.

do you not think that Kev may be compromised somewhat by the shower of s**** he inherited?

Talented managers can make shit looks like a stone. Simply as that. Keegan isn't that type of manager, but one who relies strongly on stars and squad strength.

Keegan can bring us success, I am not discounting him that much, but it is only possible if he can spend something like 50m this summer and really persuade some stars to come. But last transfer window did shows that good players didn't want to come here. Yes you could give him the benefit of the doubt for the lack of time but that does cast doubt towards his forthcoming summer signings right?

Just a question, should we play those match with a bit of prudence and try to sneak a point or should we play "attacking football" and everyone knows got hammered was the only result?

We haven't played all out attack, we just haven't played all out defence either.  The way I see it we'd be beaten either way.

I never wanted him back.

I never expected much from Keegan. I made threads before he came stating I didn't want him nor Shearer at the helm. I haven't said he's useless but even if I did it would be no knee-jerk response from me.

Manure, Arsenal & Villa don't go around thrashing teams every week. Boro are a decent team but we should always beat them at home. They fully deserved the draw and where perhaps unfortunate not to win it.

After the first goal in each game each team had ample chances to score more. We couldn't complain if we lost by 2 more goals in every game bar the first Arsenal game.