A role for Geremi

TRon

Aye, unfortunately Geremi played a load of piss easy games and Butt had Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea, Villa away, Man City etc.

how dare you go destroying stats like that. don't you know all some people have for comfort is numbers ?

Aye, unfortunately Geremi played a load of piss easy games and Butt had Arsenal, Man United, Chelsea, Villa away, Man City etc.

how dare you go destroying stats like that. don't you know all some people have for comfort is numbers ?

Didn't Butt play most of those piss easy games as well?

probably,makes the stats even stupider.

Probably.

I did say in my first post that stats aren't the be all end all, but when you see that Geremi has featured at CM in 89% of our wins this season, you have to give him another chance in the first team.

yes and no.

he maybe should be given a chance because what we have isn't working,more so than the stats.

I did say in my first post that stats aren't the be all end all, but when you see that Geremi has featured at CM in 89% of our wins this season, you have to give him another chance in the first team.

yes and no.

he maybe should be given a chance because what we have isn't working,more so than the stats.

Well the stats equally show that Butt isn't working.

yes and no.

not if he played in the games where geremi won aswell. keefaz point is valid about those teams we played with butt and without geremi and it's almost like the rest of the team didn't matter.

Geremi and Emre would be my centre mid. Why? because both can pass the ball and keep it. They may not be as good at retaining possesion but i'd take that risk right now as they would give us a far superior attacking threat. As well as that both players can take a good free kick. This would be my team;

Harper

Beye        Faye          Taylor      Enrique

Geremi

Emre

Milner                                      N'Zogbia

Owen        Martins

Team full of midgets.

yes and no.

not if he played in the games where geremi won aswell. keefaz point is valid about those teams we played with butt and without geremi and it's almost like the rest of the team didn't matter.

tho Butt didn't play as defensive midfielder when he was alongside Geremi, more often than not Geremi sat back and gave Butt licence to go forward and not have to track back and run about as much. Since Butt has moved back to DM he's looked terrible.

yes and no.

tho Butt didn't play as defensive midfielder when he was alongside Geremi, more often than not Geremi sat back and gave Butt licence to go forward and not have to track back and run about as much. Since Butt has moved back to DM he's looked terrible.

he's done his own thing of winning the ball but is now left having to find 40yd passes as no-one wants to take resposiblity creativly.......like when he first came.

yes and no.

he's done his own thing of winning the ball but is now left having to find 40yd passes as no-one wants to take resposiblity creativly.......like when he first came.

i don't think he's that much better than geremi when it comes to winning the ball, what sets them apart is that on the ball butt is shite and geremi is comfortable. he can spot runs and pick a pass more easily which starts off attacking moves.

Just for the record, here is how many of our 7 league wins each player has played 45 mins+ in:

N'Zogbia  7

Milner 7

Geremi 7

Smith 6

Butt 6

Rozehnal  5

Cacapa 5

Martins 5

Beye 5

Given 4

Viduka 4

Owen 3 (plus 1 crucial sub appearance)

Harper 3

Taylor 3

Enrique 2

Barton 2

Faye 2

Carr 1

Emre 1 (plus 1 crucial sub appearance)

Ameobi 1

Duff 0

Ramage 0

Just for the record, here is how many of our 7 league wins each player has played 45 mins+ in:

N'Zogbia  7

Milner 7

Geremi 7

Smith 6

Butt 6

Rozehnal  5

Cacapa 5

Martins 5

Beye 5

Given 4

Viduka 4

Harper 3

Taylor 3

Enrique 2

Barton 2

Faye 2

Carr 1

Ameobi 1

Duff 0

Ramage 0

We should drop Beye. Not even as good as Nicky Butt.

N'Zogbia  7

Milner 7

Geremi 7

Smith 6

Butt 6

Rozehnal  5

Cacapa 5

Martins 5

Beye 5

Given 4

Viduka 4

Harper 3

Taylor 3

Enrique 2

Barton 2

Faye 2

Carr 1

Ameobi 1

Duff 0

Ramage 0

Only thought it was fair I posted that :lol:

tbf, Beye wasn't a NUFC player for the two wins he missed.

N'Zogbia  7

Milner 7

Geremi 7

Smith 6

Butt 6

Rozehnal  5

Cacapa 5

Martins 5

Beye 5

Given 4

Viduka 4

Harper 3

Taylor 3

Enrique 2

Barton 2

Faye 2

Carr 1

Ameobi 1

Duff 0

Ramage 0

For someone who's slagging the statsmeister, quite ironic you have that newcastlestats link in your sig  :coolsmiley:

N'Zogbia  7

Milner 7

Geremi 7

Smith 6

Butt 6

Rozehnal  5

Cacapa 5

Martins 5

Beye 5

Given 4

Viduka 4

Harper 3

Taylor 3

Enrique 2

Barton 2

Faye 2

Carr 1

Ameobi 1

Duff 0

Ramage 0

For someone who's slagging the statsmeister, quite ironic you have that newcastlestats link in your sig  :coolsmiley:

Aye, I talk shit.

yes and no.

i don't think he's that much better than geremi when it comes to winning the ball, what sets them apart is that on the ball butt is s**** and geremi is comfortable. he can spot runs and pick a pass more easily which starts off attacking moves.

i think there is some of the"great when he's out" creeping in here.

yes and no.

i don't think he's that much better than geremi when it comes to winning the ball, what sets them apart is that on the ball butt is s**** and geremi is comfortable. he can spot runs and pick a pass more easily which starts off attacking moves.

Yup.

yes and no.

definitely not, i was saying this earlier in the season.

^so far i think Butt has looked the best, though that's cos he has had more freedom to roam with Geremi supporting, so he's not really been playing as a defensive midfielder. Geremi i like, he keeps the ball moving, doesn't faff around or spin in circles like a recently departed player, always makes himself available and is the closest we have to someone who can dictate tempo.

shows how busy geremi was, won the same amount of balls as the rest of the midfield combined, attempted four key passes or "assists" and played 70 passes, at a higher rate of completion, and in a more positive vein, than his midfield counterparts. as i've said all along he is the watercarrier, ferrying the ball from defence to the creative players, always making himself available for the pass, playing it QUICKLY and accurately. not the sort of player to get the plaudits or headlines but nevertheless essential, not neccessarily going to dive into the tackle like butt but will pick up his fair share of interceptions and little steals by constantly buzzing around and closing down opposition options. not that i needed the stats to know that, you can see that's what geremi brings to the team from watching the game.

BTW i don't actually rate Geremi that highly and it's vital we strengthen the defensive midfield position in the summer. but he is the best we have (other than perhaps Faye but we need him in defence) and better than Butt for the reasons outlined in previous posts.

yes and no.

definitely not, i was saying this earlier in the season.

So was I. So was James with all his stats in hand back then FWIW.