We need to spend £ 150 million..............

Rob W

His eminence Parky reckoned we needed to spend £ 100 million over 2-3 years a couple of months back

I reckon we need a complete new team  ..................15 players @ £ 10 mm on average...............................

and that might get us up to Liverpool's standard

His eminence Parky reckoned we needed to spend £ 100 million over 2-3 years a couple of months back

I reckon we need a complete new team  ..................15 players @ £ 10 mm on average...............................

I was thinkig the same thing udring the match on Sat.  With the exception of one or two players.

I wish this season would just end.

Yeah, i generally agree that it will take more than this £50m budget being talked about for the summer.

BUT, if we signed 5 £10m players to go straight into the starting line up, I think that could get us back up there in the top 8.

Can we get those £10m+ signings though?

i remember people saying the same (different numbers allowing for inflation)when kegan came first time round...also the mackems were saying it when keane came in that he'd need to spend £30million to avid releagtion from the championship.

Guest AceDeuce

dont you think its stupid to buy 10-15 new players in one transfer window?

even 6 are more than enough.

it takes time for players to harmonize.

I agree. Build gradually and for the long term, not by spaffing a huge amount of cash in one desperate gamble.

I was thinkig the same thing udring the match on Sat.  With the exception of one or two players.

I wish this season would just end.

I agree and just hope we are still in the premiership

Guest Stephen927

Would rather we steadily build for the future, instead of throwing money around trying to find a quick fix to get back into the top four during one window.

3 or 4 quality signings would make a huge difference to this team, I don't see the benefits of completely changing the squad because if you want to do that, you have to make next season a write-off too. These things take time, not one summer.

If I were Keegan, I would try to get rid of Butt, Carr, Ameobi and maybe Damien Duff depending on what sort of fee we are looking at, and sign some quality players to not only bulken the squad, but who can also come in and slot straight into the first team.

We've signed players who are for the future, now we need some players to become the main part of our team, (CB, CM, ST, LB).

I agree. Build gradually and for the long term, not by spaffing a huge amount of cash in one desperate gamble.

Worked for chelsea

I don't know if you mean my method worked for Chelsea, or spaffing in one go worked for them, but either way, they spent money over a relatively long period, including before RA arrived at the club.

What they didn't do was spend 150m and go in one bound from being in the lower reaches of the table to the top of it.

Spurs bought 15 players in one window when Arnesen first joined and seemed to be buying a couple every week.  They've all gone now but Pamarot, Davis and Pedro Mendes have all done well for Pompey.  The likes of those players, plus Atouba, Naybet, Carrick etc provided the 'quick fix' stepping stone to the next level from the one where Spurs had previously languished.  That first season we missed Uefa competition on the final day, to be followed by successive 5th places. 

Buying a lot of players in one window can work, and work well, if it's done properly.

Spurs bought 15 players in one window when Arnesen first joined and seemed to be buying a couple every week.  They've all gone now but Pamarot, Davis and Pedro Mendes have all done well for Pompey.  The likes of those players, plus Atouba, Naybet, Carrick etc provided the 'quick fix' stepping stone to the next level from the one where Spurs had previously languished.  That first season we missed Uefa competition on the final day, to be followed by successive 5th places. 

Buying a lot of players in one window can work, and work well, if it's done properly.

Didn't you also buy a lot of players last summer, though, and that didn't work out, did it?

Not having a dig - they're for the large part, good players - just pointing out that there's no guarantee and it could be said that it backfired for you this  year (I'm aware the reasons are more complicated than this post suggest, mind) ;-)

i honestly wish we would conduct business now with clubs.

at least give out some positive vibes during this awful awful period of NUFC.

we have nothing to look forward too, so signing a few players now for july 1st would be a positive move.

get in there first, in some respects.

Guest RodrigoPalacio

It doesn't matter how much we spend, it only matters who we spend money on.  It's all very well to say "Oh, lets bring in two strikers for around 20 million," But would you be happy if we spent 9 million on another Luque and 11 million on another Martins?

Also, absurd though this may sound, nowadays it is actually pretty difficult to spend 150m pounds. You don't need to just have the money, you need to be able to persuade the players to move.

I've said this before but look at players like David Bentley. In the past that type of player would have been a lot easier for the likes of you, us, Everton, Citeh to buy, but these days there's little incentive to make a sideways move and lots of incentive to stay where you are, big fish in a small pool, and hope one of the top four comes in.

The only distorting factor is for clubs like Spurs and West Ham, who have the London factor to offer.

Incidentally - don't take this the wrong way, but I'm struggling to think of a club which needs the gradual building of solid foundations rather than a frenzy of hopeful spending more than Newcastle does.

Also, absurd though this may sound, nowadays it is actually pretty difficult to spend 150m pounds. You don't need to just have the money, you need to be able to persuade the players to move.

I've said this before but look at players like David Bentley. In the past that type of player would have been a lot easier for the likes of you, us, Everton, Citeh to buy, but these days there's little incentive to make a sideways move and lots of incentive to stay where you are, big fish in a small pool, and hope one of the top four comes in.

The only distorting factor is for clubs like Spurs and West Ham, who have the London factor to offer.

Incidentally - don't take this the wrong way, but I'm struggling to think of a club which needs the gradual building of solid foundations rather than a frenzy of hopeful spending more than Newcastle does.

Been there, done that, got bored of waiting ;)

How much does a top class defence cost? 40 million quite easily...

How much do 2 excellent midfielders cost? 20 million...

Another striker with a bit of hunger (not Viduka's hunger!!)? 20 million

80 MILLION TO GET US ANYWHERE NEAR WHERE WE WANT/DESERVE TO BE!!!

dont know about that..look at man citeh. if there is an atmosphere of something happening at a club players may well want to be part of it. probably wouldn't turn down a move to a top 4 club but enogh to compete with those who'll finish comfortably ahead of us this season.

if the money is there getting in the first major/exciting signing could spark the atmosphere to entice others.

Didn't you also buy a lot of players last summer, though, and that didn't work out, did it?

Not having a dig - they're for the large part, good players - just pointing out that there's no guarantee and it could be said that it backfired for you this  year (I'm aware the reasons are more complicated than this post suggest, mind) ;-)

We seem to buy a load of players almost every window, some come in, some go out.

Arnesen came in advocating the revolving door policy, I know Levy was stunned by the numbers that Arnesen was proposing each window.  Comolli came in and to a lesser degree is still advocating the same.  His view is that all players should be evaluated  and if a better player in a certain position is available, make the change.  The downside is obviously the damage to continuity but 5 or 6 changes each window to a squad of 28 or so is said to be manageable, especially as the changes in theory enhance the overall quality of the squad.

I'm not totally convinced but nothing I think is going to change things so I just have to trust that they know what they're doing.

Football is a simple game ultimately...Get good players and get them on the pitch.  :razz:

Parky Industries is grateful for the backing Robster.

Football is a simple game ultimately...Get good players and get them on the pitch.  :razz:

you'll have to explain how it makes you a year ahead of everyone else

edit..hey no fair,you edited out your BS