With Owen's contract running out..

Unbelievable
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If the papers know nothing (which I agree with btw) then why should we believe the £80k a week figure?

It is easier to believe a figure widely reported at the time, in particular by the more reliable broadsheets at a time when they would have consulted their best sources on this, whereas now there has obviously been no research, and no sources as negotiations haven't started, and our lot are a secretive bunch.

I'm not saying £80k is definitive, but given the historical reporting of Owen's wage, it is certainly between £80k-£100k and nowhere near the £120k mentioned recently.

So your reasoning is: don't believe the papers now, believe them 3 years ago?

My belief is that they are more likely to get their facts right at the time, than they are in the future. Very few sports journalists thoroughly research their articles, for what they write today is fish and chip paper tommorrow.

is that you alan?

I think people are forgetting how we came to have Owen in the first place.

He wanted first team football, he could have waited out his contract at Real Madrid then gone to a "Big" club on a Bosman, but he doesn't like to sit on the bench. Do people think Man U (Rooney/Teves/Scholes/Ronaldo), Chelsea (Drogba/Schevchenko/Anelka/Kalou) or Liverpool (Torres/Kuyt) are going to promise him first team football?

Even if offers came in from the big clubs, which we accepted, I think Owen would think long and hard about moving.

Even if we just agree to leave it until the end of next year, I think the chances are we would then offer him what he's asking for and he'd accept, he thrives on being first choice, getting a run of games and scoring regularly.  He's not one to be rotated or a second choice.

If the papers know nothing (which I agree with btw) then why should we believe the £80k a week figure?

It is easier to believe a figure widely reported at the time, in particular by the more reliable broadsheets at a time when they would have consulted their best sources on this, whereas now there has obviously been no research, and no sources as negotiations haven't started, and our lot are a secretive bunch.

I'm not saying £80k is definitive, but given the historical reporting of Owen's wage, it is certainly between £80k-£100k and nowhere near the £120k mentioned recently.

My belief is that they are more likely to get their facts right at the time, than they are in the future. Very few sports journalists thoroughly research their articles, for what they write today is fish and chip paper tommorrow.

Totally contradictory iyam.

Well at the time it was the biggest footballing story going on. Journalists were going to be more thorough and do their utmost to collect accurate information, and would call favours in from their best sources. These  sources were few, but information hadn't been distorted by Chinese Whispers.

Chinese Whispers change a lot over three years. Recent articles are junk stories that will be forgotten over the next few months, hence these articles are of reduced quality in numerous ways.

Guest alex

He wanted first team football, he could have waited out his contract at Real Madrid then gone to a "Big" club on a Bosman, but he doesn't like to sit on the bench. Do people think Man U (Rooney/Teves/Scholes/Ronaldo), Chelsea (Drogba/Schevchenko/Anelka/Kalou) or Liverpool (Torres/Kuyt) are going to promise him first team football?

Even if offers came in from the big clubs, which we accepted, I think Owen would think long and hard about moving.

Even if we just agree to leave it until the end of next year, I think the chances are we would then offer him what he's asking for and he'd accept, he thrives on being first choice, getting a run of games and scoring regularly.  He's not one to be rotated or a second choice.

Re. your first point: he wanted to go to Liverpool and we outbid them and he wanted to be playing regularly in the run up to a World Cup.

Guest alex

Well at the time it was the biggest footballing story going on. Journalists were going to be more thorough and do their utmost to collect accurate information, and would call favours in from their best sources. These  sources were few, but information hadn't been distorted by Chinese Whispers.

Chinese Whispers change a lot over three years. Recent articles are junk stories that will be forgotten over the next few months, hence these articles are of reduced quality in numerous ways.

So journalists don't exaggerate / make stuff up when something is currently the biggest story? Ok.

well when he plays he scores, he's got a damn good goals to game ratio and is vital to the team but is his heart in it? because he's like a politician in interviews, he never gives a straight answer. if he does want to leave then he should just say so, to give us time to try to find a replacement but if he wants to stay, and we want him to, then he should just come out and say so.

On the 21st April Owen said "My contract is up next year but I'm very happy here, this is probably the most exciting time since I came to Newcastle."

"I couldn't be happier with the fans and the new manager - I've enjoyed playing under him. I'm in probably the best part of my Newcastle career so far, and I hope there will be even better times ahead."

And on 19th April Keegan said "My genuine feeling is that Michael Owen wants to be here; he wants to help lead this team for the next few years," said Keegan. "I don't want to tempt providence but my feeling is that a deal will be done as soon as they get together, really. I don't think it will take long. It's for Chris Mort to do that now. I have made it absolutely clear what I think should be done and I have passed that on to him."

Both quotes were obviously made before Keegan talked down our chances of breaking into the top 4, and before the rumours regarding Owen having to take a pay cut. Owen's no fool and he's probably considering his options in the light of these recent developments.

My own view is that I hope the club aren't getting involved in a game of brinkmanship with Owen's contract for the sake of taking £2 million off the wage bill. A fit, motivated Michael Owen is worth far more to us than that and I hope he signs another contract to keep him here for at least another 3 years.

Re. your first point: he wanted to go to Liverpool and we outbid them and he wanted to be playing regularly in the run up to a World Cup.

Liverpool have brought in Kuyt, Torres and Voronin since then though.

...and there's a world cup in two years time too.

So journalists don't exaggerate / make stuff up when something is currently the biggest story? Ok.

With big stories, there is a lot of competition to provide the best reports of the news. Hence the papers are going to use their best sources, and the best sources are more likely to have the best information, and this information is likely to be passed onto the Fleet Street elite like Henry Winter, ie someone with genuine clout and integrity.

Whereas today, a lot of those writing all these so called facts speculating about Owen's future can only be considered as members of the gutter press.

Guest alex

I just think he'd be off to a big club in a shot. Just like he'd be off to someone like Spurs or Everton if the money was better than he was being offered here for his next contract. He'd probably even go if they offered the same. The circumstances were very specifically suited to us getting him last time round. Lots of things have changed and they are nowhere near as suited to us hanging onto him now.

Guest alex

With big stories, there is a lot of competition to provide the best reports of the news. Hence the papers are going to use their best sources, and the best sources are more likely to have the best information, and this information is likely to be passed onto the Fleet Street elite like Henry Winter, ie someone with genuine clout and integrity.

Whereas today, a lot of those writing all these so called facts speculating about Owen's future can only be considered as members of the gutter press.

You're spot on. For example: Ashley has already sold the club and Keegan was sacked on Friday.

He's going to have to take a wage cut at sometime, either with us or with another club. If the offers are side steps it means he's leaving because we asked, which is fair enough, but really he should swallow his pride ask for bigger bonuses and sign up for 5 years. For two years of his contract he's got free money, he's done nowt in that time, he still owes us imo.

There will be no bigger club offer, and they certainly won't pay him what we have, or what we'll offer after a paycut.

Didn't the insurance money pay for that time he was out though?

It's paid for the loss of value on the player, or part of his wages while out, but certainly not both.

You're spot on. For example: Ashley has already sold the club and Keegan was sacked on Friday.

According to the gutter press at a time when the likes of Henry Winter have a title race, all-English Champions League Final to write about. Different journalists and different article accuracy.

I just think he'd be off to a big club in a shot. Just like he'd be off to someone like Spurs or Everton if the money was better than he was being offered here for his next contract. He'd probably even go if they offered the same. The circumstances were very specifically suited to us getting him last time round. Lots of things have changed and they are nowhere near as suited to us hanging onto him now.

I don't agree he'd be off to a 'big club' given that he left Real madrid to come here he could have stayed there.

Everton or Spurs I could understand, especially if Berbatov goes.

Guest alex

I don't agree he'd be off to a 'big club' given that he left Real madrid to come here he could have stayed there.

Do you not think he might now consider leaving Real Madrid to come here as a mistake. Because I do.

Guest alex

According to the gutter press at a time when the likes of Henry Winter have a title race, all-English Champions League Final to write about. Different journalists and different article accuracy.

It wasn't just according to the so-called 'gutter press' though (not sure many sports journalists have much integrity - Winter being an obvious exception). The point I'm making is you seem to want it both ways. Anyway, we're going round in circles.

Guest alex

They haven't even opened negotiations so it's all conjecture.

Who's to say they won't just offer the same contract and it'll be accepted?

Who's to say they have etc.? ;)

Do you not think he might now consider leaving Real Madrid to come here as a mistake. Because I do.

Maybe, but I think he'd be most exasperrated by his own injuries, rather than the teams lacklustre league placings.

"My contract is up next year but I'm very happy here, this is probably the most exciting time since I came to Newcastle."

"I couldn't be happier with the fans and the new manager - I've enjoyed playing under him. I'm in probably the best part of my Newcastle career so far, and I hope there will be even better times ahead."

You might argue that he's bound to say all the right things.  But he never bowed to that kind of pressure under all the speculation that he was going last year.  He remained tight lipped throughout, and I gave him a load of stick for not saying anything.

Guest alex

Maybe, but I think he'd be most exasperrated by his own injuries, rather than the teams lacklustre league placings.

"My contract is up next year but I'm very happy here, this is probably the most exciting time since I came to Newcastle."

You might argue that he's bound to say all the right things.  But he never bowed to that kind of pressure under all the speculation that he was going last year.  He remained tight lipped throughout, and I gave him a load of stick for not saying anything.

Fair enough. He's certainly not the type to be bullied into saying stuff just for the sake of it.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idUKT23299720080513?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0&sp=true

Owen a possible target for Japan's Chiba

Tue May 13, 2008 6:10am BST  Email | Print | Share| Single Page| Recommend (0) [-] Text [+] 

1 of 1Full SizeBy Alastair Himmer

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's JEF United Chiba are planning an audacious swoop for England striker Michael Owen, Japanese media reported on Tuesday.

The J-League club have just unveiled former Liverpool first-team coach Alex Miller as their new manager and believe Owen can solve the team's current goal-scoring problems.

Japan's Nikkan Sports reported that Chiba officials were preparing an initial approach and that contact had been made with Owen's agent Tony Stephens.

Owen has yet to agree a new contract with Newcastle United and the former Liverpool and Real Madrid striker has been linked with a move to Premier League champions Manchester United.

A move to Japan could prove detrimental to Owen's England career, although JEF United have transfer funds available after selling several top players before the 2008 J-League season.

"The reports are not 100 percent off the mark," Chiba's Kentaro Shiga told Reuters.

"Owen's name was one of those being talked about when the team were looking at possible targets."

The club insisted new boss Miller and was not behind any potential swoop for the 28-year-old former European Footballer of the Year, who he worked with at Liverpool.

"The club were discussing options needed for individual positions before the new manager came in," Shiga said.

"The coach didn't tell the club to move for Owen."

Struggling Chiba are rooted to the bottom of the J-League first division, only winning their first game in 12 matches this season at the weekend with Miller watching from the stands.

(Editing by John O'Brien)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idUKT23299720080513?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0&sp=true

Owen a possible target for Japan's Chiba

Tue May 13, 2008 6:10am BST Email | Print | Share| Single Page| Recommend (0) [-] Text [+]  

1 of 1Full SizeBy Alastair Himmer

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's JEF United Chiba are planning an audacious swoop for England striker Michael Owen, Japanese media reported on Tuesday.

The J-League club have just unveiled former Liverpool first-team coach Alex Miller as their new manager and believe Owen can solve the team's current goal-scoring problems.

Japan's Nikkan Sports reported that Chiba officials were preparing an initial approach and that contact had been made with Owen's agent Tony Stephens.

Owen has yet to agree a new contract with Newcastle United and the former Liverpool and Real Madrid striker has been linked with a move to Premier League champions Manchester United.

A move to Japan could prove detrimental to Owen's England career, although JEF United have transfer funds available after selling several top players before the 2008 J-League season.

"The reports are not 100 percent off the mark," Chiba's Kentaro Shiga told Reuters.

"Owen's name was one of those being talked about when the team were looking at possible targets."

The club insisted new boss Miller and was not behind any potential swoop for the 28-year-old former European Footballer of the Year, who he worked with at Liverpool.

"The club were discussing options needed for individual positions before the new manager came in," Shiga said.

"The coach didn't tell the club to move for Owen."

Struggling Chiba are rooted to the bottom of the J-League first division, only winning their first game in 12 matches this season at the weekend with Miller watching from the stands.

(Editing by John O'Brien)

Fuck off.

Whilst he's wrong in saying we should believe the papers from back then, James has a point in that Owen's reported wage seems to have crept up and up and up ever since. It's laughable, and normally coincides with a negative angle.

Bored off my tits with this situation already btw. Either renew or fuck off ASAP Michael.

PS - I want him to stay, but I don't want us held to ransom.