European qualification

Martin Lol

I hadn't realised but Sky were saying tonight that as at next year England have one fewer place for the Uefa Cup.  Next year the places available will be:

Top 4 in the Premier League  - CL

5th Place  -  Uefa Cup

Carling Cup Winners  -  Uefa Cup  O0

FA Cup Winners  -  Uefa Cup (if 1 of top 4 win, runner up to get Uefa place.  If runner up also in top 4, Uefa place to 6th placed team in PL).

Plus the usual possibilities for Intertoto and Fair Play League.  I knew that these changes had been proposed but never realised they were being implemented from next season, I am assuming that Sky are not talking out of their backsides.  With it being so tight in the Premeir League for 4th-7th place, there is the possibility that Liverpool don't qualify for the Champions League.................... or the Uefa Cup either. 

Anyway, that's what I'm hoping for! :lol:

Liverpool would get in through the fair play league, England are top in europe and Liverpool are top in the prem. Man City are the closest not in a uefa spot in 4th.

Would be great to see Liverpool miss out on Europe.  Doubt it'll happen like, but it looks like they've still got the CL as a distraction, so who knows. 

I think it'll finish

4. Everton

5. Liverpool

6. Villa

7. Blackburn

8. Tottenham

Guest Spurs_from_Africa

Would be great to see Liverpool miss out on Europe.  Doubt it'll happen like, but it looks like they've still got the CL as a distraction, so who knows. 

I think it'll finish

4. Everton

5. Liverpool

6. Villa

7. Blackburn

8. Tottenham

You think Man city will drop that badly? :kasper: Have to say though, on recent viewing of them, they have been poor for a while now, except them vs. united.

I dont know if this is a blonde moment either, but I thought that was how european qualification was anyway. 1-5th automatically in europe. 6th depending on who wins the carling cup. 7th depending on fa cup finalists/winners.

I think it'll finish

4. Everton

5. Liverpool

6. Villa

7. Blackburn

8. Tottenham

I think Villa are capable of taking 5th place.  Bit academic about Liverpool if they qualify through the FPL in any case.

It's always been like that hasn't it?

6th place always used to get a uefa cup spot automatically.

:nope:

Aye, I thought we were awarded 3 places in the UEFA Cup (1 in the League and 1 for each Cup).  ???

It's always been like that hasn't it?

6th place always used to get a uefa cup spot automatically.

:nope:

Aye, I thought we were awarded 3 places in the UEFA Cup (1 in the League and 1 for each Cup).  ???

Back in 2003/04, we finished 5th with Boro winning the Carling cup and Millwall being runners up in the FA cup.

Villa didn't get a Uefa cup place for finishing 6th.

I hadn't realised but Sky were saying tonight that as at next year England have one fewer place for the Uefa Cup.  Next year the places available will be:

Top 4 in the Premier League  - CL

5th Place  -  Uefa Cup

Carling Cup Winners  -  Uefa Cup  O0

FA Cup Winners  -  Uefa Cup (if 1 of top 4 win, runner up to get Uefa place.  If runner up also in top 4, Uefa place to 6th placed team in PL).

Plus the usual possibilities for Intertoto and Fair Play League.  I knew that these changes had been proposed but never realised they were being implemented from next season, I am assuming that Sky are not talking out of their backsides.  With it being so tight in the Premeir League for 4th-7th place, there is the possibility that Liverpool don't qualify for the Champions League.................... or the Uefa Cup either. 

Anyway, that's what I'm hoping for! :lol:

The situation as you describe is exactly how the European places work this season, and how they worked last season (06/07).  Not sure about before that, but if 2008/09 is how you've described, then there is no change.  From at least 2006/07 onwards, only 5th has been guaranteed UEFA in the league - can go to 6th if both FA Cup finalists are in Europe, and to 7th if the Carling Cup winners are in Europe as well.

Typical Sky - reporting news that is not news at all.  Either that or you've got it wrong.

I think it'll finish

4. Everton

5. Liverpool

6. Villa

7. Blackburn

8. Tottenham

You think Man city will drop that badly? :kasper: Have to say though, on recent viewing of them, they have been poor for a while now, except them vs. united.

I dont know if this is a blonde moment either, but I thought that was how european qualification was anyway. 1-5th automatically in europe. 6th depending on who wins the carling cup. 7th depending on fa cup finalists/winners.

It's typical, they had the Sven boost from the beginning of the season (I think people forget how bad they were last year).  Everton are the most solid of any chasing side.  Same manager and same team together now for a few years, and Villa are just a few years behind basically being Everton.  Liverpool have all the strife, so actually, it wouldn't surprise me to see them finish 6th and Villa 5th, I just think it won't happen.  Blackburn also have that solidity, just not the money to make the jump.

fuck off you piss taking twat.

(surely i don't need to add a smiley)

jol...this thread is the equivilant of telling a starving man that you're steak wasn't rare enough.

Brilliance. :lol:

the way i saw it, sky were explaining what happens now, not next year.

im sure its always been 5th place and the cup winners, its the fact that the top 4 have always won the cups that 6th is nearly always a uefa spot?

or so i thought

Last time we qualified, we came 7th and got in via the intertoto.  Spurs got in from coming 5th, Blackburn by coming 6th (because both the league cup finalists were in Europe already) and West Ham by being FA Cup finalists.