Who is better?

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

See I love this utterly clueless mentality that suggests Gary Neville isn't world class when has consistently performed for one of the worlds best teams over a 10 year period.  Probably the best English right-back of all time as well.

Put him in any other squad and he'd be no better than average. Solid? yes. Best in the world? Not a chance.

Phil Neville, who has less ability than his brother, got moved on and I wouldn't class him as average tbh

So, your point kind of falls down here.

Guest LucaAltieri

See I love this utterly clueless mentality that suggests Gary Neville isn't world class when has consistently performed for one of the worlds best teams over a 10 year period.  Probably the best English right-back of all time as well.

Put him in any other squad and he'd be no better than average. Solid? yes. Best in the world? Not a chance.

Phil Neville, who has less ability than his brother, got moved on and I wouldn't class him as average tbh

So, your point kind of falls down here.

Why, what's Phil Neville done that's so brilliant, like?

He would be an example I'd pick to prove my point if anything.

Ferguson for me but it's close.

Granted, the style of football Arsenal play is easy on the eye but Man Utd aren't exactly dull and boring to watch either.

Trophies (one in particular) give Ferguson the advantage for me.

Guest LucaAltieri

Captains the team sitting 4th in the table

But, if that's average to you, then I'd hate to think what s*** was.

Experienced premiership player. Nothing more.

But getting back to Gary Neville, do you seriously think he comes anywhere near the likes of Cafu or Zambrotta?

Fergie struggles to replace? Yes, he's had a few transfer misses but he's built at least 2 or 3 distinct world-class teams.

A few????  I could name 2 teams full of flops he's signed quite easily.  I think Arsene Wenger is the best manager in the world in the last 30 years quite comfortably.  There have been many great managers, Capello, Fergie, Rinus Michels, Sacchi, but can any of them say they've been succesful playing beautiful expansive football alligned with actually being in the black on transfer dealing over a decade??!?!?  Can any of them say they've went a whole season unbeaten as well as building not one, two, but three succesful teams, as well as utterly changing the culture of training and dieting not just at one club, but one which has been adopted across the board.  If there's ever been a better manager than Wenger I'm yet to see or know of him.  Ferguson of course is a great manager, he did it with Aberdeen as well, but Wenger for me has the edge. 

I wasn't aguing who was better, just saying that Fergie does obviously know how to replace players and rebuild a successful team.

Guest louiseville_lip

;D

Now don't get me wrong, nothing pisses me off more than people who say Gary Neville is shit, because he looks like a rat and comes across as a tosser.  He's a magnificent full back, steady reliable, he gets abused for his crossing, but sometimes it's as good as a winger.  However the best England right back ever  ;D ;D ;D ;D younguns.  You never heard of Viv Anderson, as good a player as Neville is/was, he wouldn't have got a look in in front of Viv at his peak, or a true legend of the game like Jimmy Armfield, I think people like talking shit to get noticed to be honest.

I refuse to accept this lad isn't a clueless wum, I'm new to these boards, am I right?

But getting back to Gary Neville, do you seriously think he comes anywhere near the likes of Cafu or Zambrotta?

I'd say he's in their class. Arguably not as good though. Zanetti would be my pick over the last 10 years + though.

Guest LucaAltieri

I'd say he's in their class. Arguably not as good though. Zanetti would be my pick over the last 10 years + though.

Zanetti is another good shout.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Gary Neville is useless. He's a good solid player. But top 3 in the world? Nah.

;D

Now don't get me wrong, nothing pisses me off more than people who say Gary Neville is s***, because he looks like a rat and comes across as a tosser.  He's a magnificent full back, steady reliable, he gets abused for his crossing, but sometimes it's as good as a winger.  However the best England right back ever  ;D ;D ;D ;D younguns.  You never heard of Viv Anderson, as good a player as Neville is/was, he wouldn't have got a look in in front of Viv at his peak, or a true legend of the game like Jimmy Armfield, I think people like talking s*** to get noticed to be honest.

I refuse to accept this lad isn't a clueless wum, I'm new to these boards, am I right?

Nostalgia clouding your judgment tbh.  Neville has more England Caps than them, won more trophies and now captains one of the worlds biggest teams.

Who on earth slates Neville for his crossing anyway?  Apart from morons?

You could easily level the same question about "taking them out of a decent team" at Zambrotta and Cafu btw.  Who also have/have had the luxury of playing for superior national teams than Neville

Guest louiseville_lip

;D

Now don't get me wrong, nothing pisses me off more than people who say Gary Neville is s***, because he looks like a rat and comes across as a tosser.  He's a magnificent full back, steady reliable, he gets abused for his crossing, but sometimes it's as good as a winger.  However the best England right back ever  ;D ;D ;D ;D younguns.  You never heard of Viv Anderson, as good a player as Neville is/was, he wouldn't have got a look in in front of Viv at his peak, or a true legend of the game like Jimmy Armfield, I think people like talking s*** to get noticed to be honest.

Nostalgia clouding your judgment tbh.  Neville has more England Caps than them, won more trophies and now captains one of the worlds biggest teams.

The caps argument is complete null and void.  See when England had to qualify for a World Cup, do you know how many games they had to play in Viv and Jimmy's day?  SIX.  How many is it now?  12, 10 sometimes.  You couldn't rack the caps up because there wasn't as many games.  I'm not old enough to have seen Jimmy Greaves, but speak to anyone who's seen that era and the current one and they will tell you he's the best striker England have ever had, he got 49 caps, Rooney is what 22, and he has nearly that already.  Viv Anderson was a gallus of the game, so was Armfield, we'll see if Neville gets an OBE.  Neville's crossing is often criticised by the press, its a load of bollocks he's a good crosser.

Guest louiseville_lip

I'm new to these boards, am I right?

:lol:

Good one.

Pardon?  I used to get on toonchat many years ago till it was dibanded.  Been working for the British Geological Survey in Greenland since then.

;D

I'm not sure what having more England caps has to do with anything considering they played at different times, meaning they faced different competition for a place in the team, the won more trophies point is debatable too as as playing in a better and more successful team doesn't make you a better individual.

An example is that Owen has more England caps and has won more trophies than Shearer but I don't think anyone would say Owen was the better player, black and white glasses on or not.

How much have you seen of Viv Anderson at his peak to say Neville was better considering you're 27?

There's only really a couple of things Wenger hasn't achieved that stick out for me - the Champions League and back-to-back Premier League titles. And Mowen got it spot on imo.

Guest louiseville_lip

;D

I'm not sure what having more England caps has to do with anything considering they played at different times, meaning they faced different competition for a place in the team, the won more trophies point is debatable too as as playing in a better and more successful team doesn't make you a better individual.

An example is that Owen has more England caps and has won more trophies than Shearer but I don't think anyone would say Owen was the better player, black and white glasses on or not.

How much have you seen of Viv Anderson at his peak to say Neville was better considering you're 27?

That's more or less the point I made above

I'm new to these boards, am I right?

:lol:

Good one.

Pardon?  I used to get on toonchat many years ago till it was dibanded.  Been working for the British Geological Survey in Greenland since then.

So your name is absolutely not Nick, Stevie or Tom? Okay then.

Fair enough, maybe the caps argument is a little shaky.  But you certainly look a better individual playing in a better team.  For example would Ronaldo look as good for us as he does for Man Utd considering our mongs wouldn't be able to run onto his passes and anticipate what he is thinking as well as the likes of Rooney and Tevez?

Maybe it's a bit of siege mentality coming in when people dismiss the Neville brothers out of hand, moreso Gary Neville.  Just smacks of listening to cretinous opinion and taking it on board (after Phil's tackle in Euro 2000, etc)